4K oil change - which one?

_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Just use Honda Full Syn, 10/30, can't go wrong
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
I ran Amsoil 20W-50 in my Rune for about 3 years due to
Hondas running hot.That viscosity helps the engine in the
summer.
Motorcycles today have different tolerances than those of
30-40 years ago.So engines today don't need such cautious
break-in as in years past.Even though Synthetics are thinner
and therefore more slippery,new engines aren't breaking-in with
as much internal shavings of parts.However I must admit,when I
drained the oil in my CB at 60 miles because the glass sight
indicator was reading totally full I did actually pick a few
black speck shavings from the oil drain pan.Like where did they come from.
I was almost flabbergasted when the Honda dealer I bought my CB
from { I never used this dealer before } had Amsoil 10W-4o on
their shelf.It says right on the container it is " wet clutch compatible " and is SHEER STABLE. Also :
- No friction modifers for outstanding wet clutch performance
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
Read your manual, 10/30 is recommended BY HONDA, and Honda does make FULL Synthetic in 10/30, it is called HP4S
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
Read your manual, 10/30 is recommended BY HONDA, and Honda does make FULL Synthetic in 10/30, it is called HP4S
Honda also says in many a manuel to change oil at 4,ooo mile
intervals.The Rune manuel says nothing about a 600 mile oil
change like the CB1100.However both Honda manuels recommend
4,ooo mile oil change intervals.Like at 4,ooo then 8,ooo then 12,ooo
then 16,ooo.However Honda does NOT recommend Replacing the
oil filter every 4,ooo miles.It recommends changing the oil filer every OTHER oil change.Meaning to SKIP any oil filter change at
8,ooo and 16,ooo.Like are you gonna religiously follow that recommendation.It makes no sense.Changing oil and not both the oil AND Filter.
The CB 1100 manual recommends an oil AND filer change at
600 miles but only an oil change { no filter } at 4,ooo mile.
Or at 12,ooo miles.But both an oil AND filter change at 8,000 miles.
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
Read your manual, 10/30 is recommended BY HONDA, and Honda does make FULL Synthetic in 10/30, it is called HP4S
Honda also says in many a manuel to change oil at 4,ooo mile
intervals.The Rune manuel says nothing about a 600 mile oil
change like the CB1100.However both Honda manuels recommend
4,ooo mile oil change intervals.Like at 4,ooo then 8,ooo then 12,ooo
then 16,ooo.However Honda does NOT recommend Replacing the
oil filter every 4,ooo miles.It recommends changing the oil filer every OTHER oil change.Meaning to SKIP any oil filter change at
8,ooo and 16,ooo.Like are you gonna religiously follow that recommendation.It makes no sense.Changing oil and not both the oil AND Filter.
The CB 1100 manual recommends an oil AND filer change at
600 miles but only an oil change { no filter } at 4,ooo mile.
Or at 12,ooo miles.But both an oil AND filter change at 8,000 miles. Changing your oil and not the filter is like taking a shower and not changing your underwear!
 
5-80 Synthetic Snake Oil only. Any other oil will result in reduced engine life, might last the 100,00 miles. With 5-80 SSN it,ll last for ever. Have fun and ride safe.
 
ingobohn_imp said:
My Honda dealer does not recommend full synth oil because wet clutches will have troubles with it (slipping). Instead, he recommends (and used at the 1000 km inspection of my CB 1100) partly synth 10W40 oil of this brand.

Complete rubbish. If the syn oil is motorcycle specific, you should have no issues whatsoever. I am running Repsol 10W30 4T Racing Full Syn in my bike since 500mi and not one issue. Runs like a watch.

ingobohn_imp said:
Others threads on this topic in this forum. Some members have complained about excessive engine noise when running 10W40 viscosity in their bikes. I would stick with the Honda recommended 10W30 oil for winter and summer use.
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
My Honda dealer does not recommend full synth oil because wet clutches will have troubles with it (slipping). Instead, he recommends (and used at the 1000 km inspection of my CB 1100) partly synth 10W40 oil of this brand.

Complete rubbish. If the syn oil is motorcycle specific, you should have no issues whatsoever. I am running Repsol 10W30 4T Racing Full Syn in my bike since 500mi and not one issue. Runs like a watch.

ingobohn_imp said:
Others threads on this topic in this forum. Some members have complained about excessive engine noise when running 10W40 viscosity in their bikes. I would stick with the Honda recommended 10W30 oil for winter and summer use.

Complete rubbish. If the syn oil is motorcycle specific, you should have no issues whatsoever. I am running Repsol 10W30 4T Racing Full Syn in my bike since 500mi and not one issue. Runs like a watch. Feel free to call my dealer: +49 6222 59191 :D

Quote:
ingobohn_imp said:
Others threads on this topic in this forum. Some members have complained about excessive engine noise when running 10W40 viscosity in their bikes. I would stick with the Honda recommended 10W30 oil for winter and summer use. Some CB1100 manuals (no in US but some other "hotter" countries - Australia? I am not sure)) tell that you can use 10W-40 if you run your motor bike under warmer weather conditions regularly.
 
CIP57_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Just use Honda Full Syn, 10/30, can't go wrong
Agreed
Agreed
Down here in S.Texas 30wts are like thin water in an air-cooled bike.After break-in I use Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 motorcycle specific synthetic oil.My new 2003 NH 750 ran like new after 107k miles on the factory clutch with no engine work done.When my new CB11 hits 4k it will get the same treatment.
 
There has got to be a bottle of strong liquor somewhere in the house. Yes! BUNDY overproof. PM me when this thread dies.

Cheers. Glug, glug, glug ......................
 
Hey Ptero I don't drink, at all, but I may join you for a nip if you don't mind lol
 
Now I know why Pterodactyl isn't answering the phone. :P
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey Ptero I don't drink, at all, but I may join you for a nip if you don't mind lol
Just a little nip in your tea only. Purely for medicinal purposes of course. The 5W-70W Bundy is a natural product that is an excellent lubricant in all climates.

Cheers
 
Here's a good one: Took the boys CB to the Honda dealer today for oil & filter. Asked for synthetic.
The dealer uses Amsoil. 10W40. We're in the sunbelt so most of us use that grade vs 30 wt.
I use the same oil in my 2001 FZ1 Yam with 70k miles and my 1978 Yam XS750 Triple. So when the dealer uses it, in a bike with under 5k miles, I'm thinking its just fine ;)
 
You'd be surprised how many dealer service depts either have no clue or don't give a darn on what should be used. When I had the BMWs I went to my local BMW/Harley dealership to buy supplies, oil included. I decided to act like I had no idea what I needed to see what they would recommend. All the service guy did was ask what oil weight I wanted. I said I didn't know. He rattled off, with a really bored or annoyed look on his face, a list of five different oils and told me to pick one.
 
Lol...from working in dealerships for 17 years I can tell you if you take your bike into a dealership for an oil change, of you don't specify which oil you WANT in your bike, chances are you are going to get " drum" oil, whatever the dealership bought cheap. Might be manufacturers recommendation, might be aftermarket whatever the owner was offered a good deal on.

If you asked 100 people who had their bike serviced by a dealership, which brand and what weight oil the dealership put in their bike, 100 people would have no clue, but would be satisfied that they had good oil in their bikes.

Which only proves the point... That although oil is VITALLY important for your bike, WHICH oil is not all that important.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol...from working in dealerships for 17 years I can tell you if you take your bike into a dealership for an oil change, of you don't specify which oil you WANT in your bike, chances are you are going to get " drum" oil, whatever the dealership bought cheap. Might be manufacturers recommendation, might be aftermarket whatever the owner was offered a good deal on.

If you asked 100 people who had their bike serviced by a dealership, which brand and what weight oil the dealership put in their bike, 100 people would have no clue, but would be satisfied that they had good oil in their bikes.

Which only proves the point... That although oil is VITALLY important for your bike, WHICH oil is not all that important.
Yeeehah! At last, I see a light on the hill.

Cheers
 
Back
Top