4K oil change - which one?

cbdtran_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am thinking Mobil 1 full synthetic, and wonder the clutch will slip under hard acceleration and during changing gear.

Will it happens? The clutch now slips once a while under certain condition when I notice it. someone pls tell me pro and con of clutch slippage
 
Went full Honda synthetic. Found it for a good price, filters are cheap. But I'll bet you could abuse this engine and it would run perfectly unless neglected. As for the rest, I have noticed this bikes bit more sensitive to chain adjustment to my Shadow. So I keep up with that.
 
Quote:I have noticed this bikes bit more sensitive to chain adjustment than my Shadow. So I keep up with that.
Absolutely true. Keep that chain at about 1" to 1-1/8" slack and you will be very happy.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Yer clutch will not slip with JASO-MA certified oil....unless there's something wrong with it.
I mean the clutch sometime slips during gear change from 1 - 2 - 3 when too much gas and very quick release of left hand, my fault. the clutch won't slip at all using half blend synt oil.

the oil now still very clear, before changing.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Just use Honda Full Syn, 10/30, can't go wrong
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
I ran Amsoil 20W-50 in my Rune for about 3 years due to
Hondas running hot.That viscosity helps the engine in the
summer.
Motorcycles today have different tolerances than those of
30-40 years ago.So engines today don't need such cautious
break-in as in years past.Even though Synthetics are thinner
and therefore more slippery,new engines aren't breaking-in with
as much internal shavings of parts.However I must admit,when I
drained the oil in my CB at 60 miles because the glass sight
indicator was reading totally full I did actually pick a few
black speck shavings from the oil drain pan.Like where did they come from.
I was almost flabbergasted when the Honda dealer I bought my CB
from { I never used this dealer before } had Amsoil 10W-4o on
their shelf.It says right on the container it is " wet clutch compatible " and is SHEER STABLE. Also :
- No friction modifers for outstanding wet clutch performance
 
My Honda dealer does not recommend full synth oil because wet clutches will have troubles with it (slipping). Instead, he recommends (and used at the 1000 km inspection of my CB 1100) partly synth 10W40 oil of this brand.
 
Each oil comes with it's own backers and detractors. Many use either full synthetic, partial synthetic, and dino oil with no ill effects to their motors. Use what you believe in, or trust, or what your service manager recommends, whichever makes you feel most comfortable.

Once again...Discussing oil is useless and can be disruptive on an internet forum.
 
ingobohn_imp said:
It's winter time, and winter time is "oil season" and/or "tire season". :D

:rolleyes: oh brother. It's going to be a lonnnng winter
 
If I change from 18 to 17 inch wheels, will I need to change the viscosity of my oil? Or should I just go fck myself?
 
The ferret_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
It's winter time, and winter time is "oil season" and/or "tire season". :D

:rolleyes: oh brother. It's going to be a lonnnng winter

:rolleyes: oh brother. It's going to be a lonnnng winter yezzzz - and as all is said about tires already, we must talk about oil :D
 
_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Just use Honda Full Syn, 10/30, can't go wrong
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
I ran Amsoil 20W-50 in my Rune for about 3 years due to
Hondas running hot.That viscosity helps the engine in the
summer.
Motorcycles today have different tolerances than those of
30-40 years ago.So engines today don't need such cautious
break-in as in years past.Even though Synthetics are thinner
and therefore more slippery,new engines aren't breaking-in with
as much internal shavings of parts.However I must admit,when I
drained the oil in my CB at 60 miles because the glass sight
indicator was reading totally full I did actually pick a few
black speck shavings from the oil drain pan.Like where did they come from.
I was almost flabbergasted when the Honda dealer I bought my CB
from { I never used this dealer before } had Amsoil 10W-4o on
their shelf.It says right on the container it is " wet clutch compatible " and is SHEER STABLE. Also :
- No friction modifers for outstanding wet clutch performance
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
Read your manual, 10/30 is recommended BY HONDA, and Honda does make FULL Synthetic in 10/30, it is called HP4S
 
HikerToo_imp said:
_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Just use Honda Full Syn, 10/30, can't go wrong
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
I ran Amsoil 20W-50 in my Rune for about 3 years due to
Hondas running hot.That viscosity helps the engine in the
summer.
Motorcycles today have different tolerances than those of
30-40 years ago.So engines today don't need such cautious
break-in as in years past.Even though Synthetics are thinner
and therefore more slippery,new engines aren't breaking-in with
as much internal shavings of parts.However I must admit,when I
drained the oil in my CB at 60 miles because the glass sight
indicator was reading totally full I did actually pick a few
black speck shavings from the oil drain pan.Like where did they come from.
I was almost flabbergasted when the Honda dealer I bought my CB
from { I never used this dealer before } had Amsoil 10W-4o on
their shelf.It says right on the container it is " wet clutch compatible " and is SHEER STABLE. Also :
- No friction modifers for outstanding wet clutch performance
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
Read your manual, 10/30 is recommended BY HONDA, and Honda does make FULL Synthetic in 10/30, it is called HP4S
Honda does not have a full synthetic.They have Honda pro
HP4 which is a Synthetic/Petroleum Blend.
Furthermore cars use 10w-30 viscosity not Motorcycles.
I don't have a clue as to why Honda recommends 10w-30.
Especially when Honda motorcycles tend to run hot.
Hondas also take a while to warm up.
Read your manual, 10/30 is recommended BY HONDA, and Honda does make FULL Synthetic in 10/30, it is called HP4S
Honda also says in many a manuel to change oil at 4,ooo mile
intervals.The Rune manuel says nothing about a 600 mile oil
change like the CB1100.However both Honda manuels recommend
4,ooo mile oil change intervals.Like at 4,ooo then 8,ooo then 12,ooo
then 16,ooo.However Honda does NOT recommend Replacing the
oil filter every 4,ooo miles.It recommends changing the oil filer every OTHER oil change.Meaning to SKIP any oil filter change at
8,ooo and 16,ooo.Like are you gonna religiously follow that recommendation.It makes no sense.Changing oil and not both the oil AND Filter.
The CB 1100 manual recommends an oil AND filer change at
600 miles but only an oil change { no filter } at 4,ooo mile.
Or at 12,ooo miles.But both an oil AND filter change at 8,000 miles.
 
Back
Top