2026 Heartland Rally 8/29-9/5, 2026 Official Thread

Enroute to Wisconsin. I am looking forward to meeting everyone at dinner tonight. David
 
As I plan for today's fun ride, I'll post an addendum to Ferret's recap of yesterday's ride.

After a relaxing stop at the Pike's Peak overlook (and with consultation and advice from MTC), I decided to "go rouge" and opt for a longer route back to the hotel. Myself and fellow adventurers Mtneers, Inhouse Bob, and Jeff from WV headed south thru the Iowa countryside along the west side of the Mississippi on a Scenic Highway (52) with a goal of experiencing the Cassville Ferry to get back across the Mississippi. We rode thru some picturesque small towns like Guttenberg and saw Dam & Locks #10 before turning into the entrance to the ferry. The ferry road was actually about 3 miles of hard packed sand/dirt which we all successfully navigated, albeit very slowly. We arrived at the ferry location just as the operator was closing the gates. He graciously held up, opened the gates for us, and welcomed us to join the other 3 or 4 cars plus one ATV on the barge-like structure. After paying a modest $10 per bike, we were off to enjoy a scenic ride across the river and a mile or so downstream to disembark at the quaint town of Cassville, WI. Then we were off on a very scenic, very smooth highway 81, enjoying rolling hills, sweeping curves and beautiful corn and dairy farms. Our next destination was the town of Mineral Point, where locals had encouraged us to have lunch and try a local delicacy called a "pasty". Note: it's pronounced with a short "a", and not a long "A", like you would pronounce "pastry". A pasty is basically a baked meat pie surrounded by flaky dough and filled with chopped meat, potatoes, rutabaga, and onions. It is said to have been a staple fed to local miners who would enjoy it during a working lunch.

After a filling lunch, we made the leisurely ride back to Spring Green (and to the hotel pool), for a total of about 189 miles.

Great rides, great day, and lovely countryside, both out and back, with a few memorable experiences thrown it as well!
 
While waiting in Nashville, I checked out the group thread Emptysea set up. I was delighted to see an incredibly well attended rally. A gorgeous landscape provides an appropriate backdrop. When I stumbled across a video taken this morning, I saw the motorcycle equivalent of a herd of unicorns grazing peacefully. :)

I have never seen more than one CB1100 parked at the same place!

See you soon. David
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2981.webp
    IMG_2981.webp
    224.1 KB · Views: 113
Another great day of riding these wonderful Wi roads although there was some rain riding today. Some of us replicated the Slimy Crud Run made famous by Cycle motorcycle writer and author of the Leanings series of books Peter Egan

125 miles for me today

Then we had our Rally Dinner at a great Steak House and in the middle of eating, in walked our fearless leader David, who thankfully stepped in to rescue the forum. What an honor.

Some headed home this morning some are headed home tomorrow morning, but there is still one more day of riding for some of us.
 
pdedse said:
the Ferret said:
Ok we are piling in... MTC and the Mrs, RickCB and Sneaky Fast, the A-Man, Inhouse Bob, Duh, Mountaineers, Offroad, and myself so far. Getting ready to head out to dinner.

Tomorrow we ride.

Well wishes for lots of fun riding and great camaraderie amongst the group!

The A-man said:
As I plan for today's fun ride, I'll post an addendum to Ferret's recap of yesterday's ride.

After a relaxing stop at the Pike's Peak overlook (and with consultation and advice from MTC), I decided to "go rouge" and opt for a longer route back to the hotel.  Myself and fellow adventurers Mtneers, Inhouse Bob, and Jeff from WV headed south thru the Iowa countryside along the west side of the Mississippi on a Scenic Highway (52) with a goal of experiencing the Cassville Ferry to get back across the Mississippi.  We rode thru some picturesque small towns like Guttenberg and saw Dam & Locks #10 before turning into the entrance to the ferry.  The ferry road was actually about 3 miles of hard packed sand/dirt which we all successfully navigated, albeit very slowly.  We arrived at the ferry location just as the operator was closing the gates.  He graciously held up, opened the gates for us, and welcomed us to join the other 3 or 4 cars plus one ATV on the barge-like structure.  After paying a modest $10 per bike, we were off to enjoy a scenic ride across the river and a mile or so downstream to disembark at the quaint town of Cassville, WI.  Then we were off on a very scenic, very smooth highway 81, enjoying rolling hills, sweeping curves and beautiful corn and dairy farms.  Our next destination was the town of Mineral Point, where locals had encouraged us to have lunch and try a local delicacy called a "pasty".  Note: it's pronounced with a short "a", and not a long "A", like you would pronounce "pastry".  A pasty is basically a baked meat pie surrounded by flaky dough and filled with chopped meat, potatoes, rutabaga, and onions.  It is said to have been a staple fed to local miners who would enjoy it during a working lunch. 

After a filling lunch, we made the leisurely ride back to Spring Green (and to the hotel pool),  for a total of about 189 miles. 

Great rides, great day, and lovely countryside, both out and back, with a few memorable experiences thrown it as well!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3334.webp
    IMG_3334.webp
    108.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3333.webp
    IMG_3333.webp
    79.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3331.webp
    IMG_3331.webp
    102.4 KB · Views: 63
My Nana (Originally from England) makes Cornish Pastys a few times a year, I've known the story of how miners ate them as they were a very portable food. If you have never had one, definitely recommend they are delicious. I like mine with a typical beef gravy on top. Very hearty meal :)
 
Mrs. G and I had pasties on a vacation a few years ago in the town where you catch the boats to Mackinac (Mackinaw?) Island.
Not too bad. During a family vacation as a kid, we ate 'em in a mining town somewhere that touoted them as "pocket food for miners".

Good to see you guys having a nice time!
 
I had a wonderful time at the rally. Our Forum Members are even better in person than online. Everyone was incredibly kind, gracious, funny, and engaging. They are also pretty, too, as you can see.

I believe I received everyone’s permission to post this group photo. If anyone has any concerns, let me know so I can take appropriate action.

Before I left for the airport, I took pictures of all the motorcycles on site, the morning debrief, and ride start. More pictures later today and tomorrow.

Do your best to find your way to Wisconsin. It is a motorcyclist’s paradise, minus that winter business. :)

I also need to pay proper respect to Emptysea whose planning and execution was masterful.

The flight attendent is about to bounce me from the plane if I do not hit save now. David
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2990.webp
    IMG_2990.webp
    125.7 KB · Views: 160
David we are so honored that you came. It showed your dedication to the forum although that was never in question. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Todays last day of riding was a mixed bag. Shortly after take off it started sprinkling, shortly after that it started raining in earnest. We ducked into a grocery store to wait it out before continuing on to Wildcat Mt State Park and its tail of the dragon like curves. The rain quit and we pulled into Ontario Wi to a bright hot sun to help up dry out. A short break then it was back on the road, and shortly after that it started raining again.wet once more we continued toward the barn. It eventually quit raining for the last leg and we were able to somewhat dry out again. Sun was out and hot by the time we pulled back into our base.

About 160 miles for the day.

As I type this the trailered bikes are mostly loaded for the trip home, and we are pondering our last dinner together before we go our separate ways in the morning.

Been another Great rally.

Thanks Sea!
 
Albeit brief, it was a fantastic moment for me. I assure you that I benefited far more from interacting with all of you than you did from interacting with me. :hilarious:

It meant a lot to shake hands with everyone, laugh with the crew, meet some spouses, and express my admiration and respect in person. I look forward to meeting other Forum members as we move the rally around the country. I have already started scheming about how we can get Cormanus to join us at the next rally. David
 
Emptysea is going to file the Official Rally Report after he takes a small break. He has a great collection of pictures he plans to share.


For now, let me share some pictures I took this morning. I was having such a good time with everyone that I was not as disciplined and focused as usual. I hope the pictures convey the warmth, tone, and happiness of the event.

Great Logo

N9XF6On.jpeg


Great Lodge

93e3oqC.jpeg


ZU4piH1.jpeg


Great Motorcycles

r7t6WU3.jpeg


X8jhq9G.jpeg


oPvve1b.jpeg


j5zONU5.jpeg


rwuGBRd.jpeg


KJkKJZo.jpeg


mkSkARQ.jpeg


qqr8iV1.jpeg


OBQV77x.jpeg


vmdkfXa.jpeg


SqVgadw.jpeg


1itcLMj.jpeg


Ul6qaSQ.jpeg


4KOhwB9.jpeg


Great People

WkiwpRv.jpeg


Mg8gAqX.jpeg


RdMOjZJ.jpeg


BKweRgC.jpeg


THeU5Rr.jpeg


tfXZIWs.jpeg


Great Planning

MQGD7iD.jpeg


7GOGSfl.jpeg


Great Ride Albeit Wet and Windy

1gpB0KR.jpeg


3b0jKOR.jpeg


zlZjpoL.jpeg


Travel safely. David
 
rdprdp01 said:
Albeit brief, it was a fantastic moment for me. I assure you that I benefited far more from interacting with all of you than you did from interacting with me.  :hilarious:

It meant a lot to shake hands with everyone, laugh with the crew, meet some spouses, and express my admiration and respect in person. I look forward to meeting other Forum members as we move the rally around the country. I have already started scheming about how we can get Cormanus to join us at the next rally. David

Did you just fly in for a visit and then quick exit?  For some reason I thought you were riding there from TX.


Finally! PHOTOS!! Very fun to see the faces, I wish I knew the names that go with them. Very cool to see all the CB1100s.
 
[quote="pdedse" pid='276139' dateline='1788575348']
rdprdp01 said:
Albeit brief, it was a fantastic moment for me. I assure you that I benefited far more from interacting with all of you than you did from interacting with me.  :hilarious:

It meant a lot to shake hands with everyone, laugh with the crew, meet some spouses, and express my admiration and respect in person. I look forward to meeting other Forum members as we move the rally around the country. I have already started scheming about how we can get Cormanus to join us at the next rally. David

Did you just fly in for a visit and then quick exit?  For some reason I thought you were riding there from TX.
[/QUOTE]

I flew in for a day. I tried to attend the dinner last night, but the storm in the Gulf delayed my flight by 4 hours. I arrived as folks were finishing dessert. I had a wonderful time yesterday evening at the Lodge, listening to the stories and meeting everyone. This morning, I was able to see the ride take shape and 10+ motorcycles leave the Lodge. I assure you I would have preferred to be on a CB1100 rather than sitting on a Southwest Jet. I hope next time to be able to participate more.
 
Thread starter
And the 2013 is an ABS version. Pretty rare. Btw ABS doesn’t help on a turn on a slush-covered road. Ask me how I know.
 
Back
Top