2026 Heartland Rally 8/29-9/5, 2026 Official Thread

emptysea said:
Let’s see who can view this.

Beer Run

Nice ride that will include lunch in a historic town and a visit to one of the most famous local breweries in Wisconsin.

I can see this. I downloaded the Scenic app and upgraded to the Premium version. It's not the most intuitive app I've used, but I'm a pretty unintuitive person.   :D
 
Thread starter
Some Rally Updates

Extended Weather Forecast looks very promising!  

55% chance of rain/thunderstorms on Sunday with a High of 81
The rest of the week shows almost no chance of rain with Highs in upper 70s Lows in the mid 50s

If the temps remain cool, we will start most of the group rides around 10:00am.   Exception for the rides "Mindoro Cut/Wildcat Mountain" and "Tri-State and Pie" both of which are a little over 200 miles and include a lunch stop.  

The longer rides will probably be on Wednesday and Friday mainly because the pie place is only open Th-Su and I didn't want to do two long rides on consecutive days nor on Monday.  We'll probably go KSU at 9:00am those days.  

Those of you riding all or part of the way here can ignore this part.   Don't pack your tow vehicle like you're packing your bike -- there's plenty of room for a lawn chair, an extra motorcycle jacket, a portable bar; you know, important things.  Ohhh and don’t forget a swimsuit!  

I have a few boxes of Nature Valley and Belvita snack bars for grab-n-go mornings.  I will have them in the lobby, or wherever our meet up spot will be, by around 8:00am, maybe earlier.

Here's who I have on my list of attendees:

rhlezo (formerly known as Razor)
rdprdp01
SneakyFast
The A-Man
rickcb
The Ferret
Lunchbag
Mtneers
InhouseBob
Redbird
Dac
Goldwing Dave
EmptySea
deltamark 
Offroad
Duh!
Reverend (friend of Duh's)


I will be setting up a group text sometime before Wednesday so we have that set of at-rally notifications.  (and to annoy The Ferret, if possible :)  )

A note on T-shirts -   I screwed up and got the order in late.   I'm sure she will do her best to accommodate my tardiness, but we may not have the shirts until a couple of days into the rally.   My apologies to the entire group, but I'm still optimistic that things will work out ok.


That's it for now.  Now, I have to come up with a couple of more routes for you all.

MTC
 
Thread starter
Repeating the name list below and including the dates they are booked at Round Barn Lodge

User NameArrivalDeparture
rhlezo (formerly known as Razor)SundaySaturday
rdprdp01WednesdayThursday
SneakyFastSaturdaySaturday
The A-ManSaturdaySaturday
rickcbSaturdaySaturday
The FerretSaturdaySaturday
LunchbagSundaySaturday
MtneersSaturdaySaturday
InhouseBobSaturdaySaturday
RedbirdSaturdayWednesday
DacSundaySaturday
Goldwing DaveSundaySaturday
EmptySeaSaturdaySaturday
deltamarkSundayThursday
OffroadSaturdaySaturday
Duh!SaturdaySaturday
Reverend (friend of Duh's)SaturdaySaturday
And Mtneers' friend Jeff (Saturday to Saturday)
And Cormanus (Saturday to Saturday)

Looks like a good-sized group arriving Saturday afternoon.  Once I set up the text group, I'll get an idea of who might want to grab dinner together, probably in downtown Spring Green.  Also looks like I need to plan a Sunday route.  I'm thinking something short in the morning to get test out the bikes after their trailer rides and to leave some opportunity in the afternoon for individuals or small groups to explore the area on their own.   

Let me know if there's any incorrect or omitted information above.
 
I'm actually checking out Saturday, not Thursday.  If you are sure they told you otherwise, please let me know and I'll call them.  But Saturday is what my reservation says.

That said, I haven't actually decided whether to depart Friday or Saturday.  It will depend on how I feel about the long ride home, weather, etc.
 
Thread starter
Lunchbag said:
I'm actually checking out Saturday, not Thursday.  If you are sure they told you otherwise, please let me know and I'll call them.  But Saturday is what my reservation says.

That said, I haven't actually decided whether to depart Friday or Saturday.  It will depend on how I feel about the long ride home, weather, etc.

Error on my part.   According to the list I got from the hotel, you're booked from Sunday to Saturday.
 
Thread starter
After traveling fairly extensively around the U.S., mostly on a motorcycle, I have learned that nearly every community lays claim to a version of of this phase: “If you don’t like the weather in _____, just wait a minute”.  

You can insert “the Driftless Region” or “Wisconsin” with a high degree of certainty that you will hear this in Spring Green next week.  

To that point, the forecast for Rally Week now shows warmer temperatures and more rain.  Please pack accordingly.  

I will create a few short loops in case we need to squeeze rides in between the weather.  

There are a number of area attractions including:
- Frank Lloyd Wright Museum at Taliesin
- Governor Dodge State Park
- House on the Rock
- Wisconsin Dells (Wisconsin’s version of Gatlinburg, TN) 
- Driftless Glen Distillery 
- Ringling Brothers Circus Museum 
- The International Crane Foundation (the birds, not the machine). 

The forecast doesn’t look too bad now with plenty of rideable hours, but if you don’t like it, just wait a minute.
 
Looks great. One minor correction is that DAC and Goldwing Dave arriving Sunday.

See you all soon!
 
Thread starter
Saturday Dinner
For any of the Saturday Arrivers...

I have given the Riverside Bar & Grille a "heads up" that a group of us might be dining at their establishment on Saturday around 5:30. I picked 5:30 since most of y'all are on Eastern Time and over age 60 -- any later and we'd be creeping to close to bedtime  ;)

Here's the menu  Riverside Menu

Here's their website Riverside Bar & Grille

Of course, attendance is not mandatory.  Just let me sometime between now and then one way or the other.

MTC
 
11 bikes and one corvette for this mornings 88 mile ride led by MTC on curvy Wi alphabet roads

Pulled back into hotel and discovered Razor had arrived on his RE 650
 
I think 16 bikes today and a corvette for the ride to New Glarus. We broke into 2 groups with MTC leading one and Offroad leading the other. What great roads and views. 128 miles today starting out at about 73 degrees before hitting 87 degrees and cloudy by the end of the ride.

Well I edited but it didnt stick, so Ill try again. Besides Razor showing up yesterday, so did Lunchbag, Dac, Goldwing Dave, and Mark & Hank.
 
Full group of bikes plus the vette broken into 2 groups, one led by MTC the other by Offroad for today’s ride (which was delayed by heavy fog for an hour and a half) to Baraboo Wi for lunch. I think just shy of 90 miles round trip ride on great sweepery roads thru the Wi dairy countryside.
 
Great day of riding. Again 2 groups one led by MTC the other by Offroad and today we rode from our home base in Green Spring to Pikes Peak Park in McGregor, Iowa and rode some of the Great River road. I think it was 148 miles round trip.

Tomorrow is the Slimy Crud run ride first made famous by motorcyclist and Cycle author Peter Egan which should be fun.

Also heard our forum leader David may join us for dinner.
 
Back
Top