2020 Model Year Changes to the CB1100

Just read this made me smile. I believe said song by Zager & Evans was number 1 in the UK when I was born. XX August 1969! The lyrics are spookily relevant to todays goings on......as far as the marketing of the CB goes. For me its in a group of one. I dont think there is another air cooled 4 cylinder high quality bike out there. I was in a kawasaki dealers today just wasting 10 minutes and the Z900's do look great, but i wouldnt buy one. Its not 'real' enough for me.
 
"In the Year 2525" by Zager & Evans was #1 in the U.K. and the U.S. A massive one hit wonder. Six weeks at #1 and ended the year as #1 overall - even in the wake of The Beatles. Not bad for such a poorly recorded track.
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
Mindful this is pure speculation, does anyone think there will be updates or changes to the CB1100 in the upcoming new model year? I'm mindful that 2014 was the year of the DLX, then 2017 for the EX . . . so following that pattern 2020 may be a big year for the Honda CB1100.

What are you thoughts, opinions, hypotheses?

My dream would be for the version in the photo I am attempting to attach. :-)

Thanks!
That’s pretty much the UK bike but only available in red at the moment. The blue looks stunning!
 
. 2020's with cruise control would be nice.. maybe then retro-fit onto older models.. I never used it too often on my Goldwings, but when I did, it was great..

chuckk ..
 
Yea I am the leed Tech at my local Honda dealer. Between the 2020 Euro regs and US emissions. An air cooled engine is really hard to meet them.
 
Jeffg, as the lead tech at a Honda dealer, do you have any idea how to fix the front brakes on the 2017 CB1100 EX so that they don't squeal when coming to a slow, gradual stop? My local Honda dealer and American Honda both gave me the same answer: "They're floating brakes. They just do that. Live with it. Oh, and those annoying cracking sounds from the front brakes when you brake hard? Yep, same deal. Floating brakes. Live with it."

This, despite the fact that most Hondas (most bikes, period) have floating discs, and the vast majority of them don't have a problem with brake squeal.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Jeffg, as the lead tech at a Honda dealer, do you have any idea how to fix the front brakes on the 2017 CB1100 EX so that they don't squeal when coming to a slow, gradual stop? My local Honda dealer and American Honda both gave me the same answer: "They're floating brakes. They just do that. Live with it. Oh, and those annoying cracking sounds from the front brakes when you brake hard? Yep, same deal. Floating brakes. Live with it."

This, despite the fact that most Hondas (most bikes, period) have floating discs, and the vast majority of them don't have a problem with brake squeal.

VLJ, I was wondering if the brake squeal was still an issue with your '17ex. It still is with mine at nearly 8k miles, but I haven't tried anything to fix it--I was waiting till you or someone else found something.

So if many bikes have floating discs and the majority of them don't have squeal issues, what's different about the '17ex brakes? I had a '14 standard CB1100...it didn't have any squeal. Are the brakes different between '14 standards and '17ex? Different OEM pads?
 
My FJR front brakes have been squealing for 22,000 miles lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
My FJR front brakes have been squealing for 22,000 miles lol
And if that's the worst of my cb1100 ex at 22k miles, I'd be all right with that. I just think it's interesting that two identical bikes I've had (assuming no changes to brake design between the '14 standard and '17ex), one (the ex) squeals like the first 2 of The Three Little Pigs, and the other (the '14) was as quiet as a church mouse. I'd love to be an engineer or mechanic and figure that one out--it's gotta be something, right?
 
pdedse, it's not a pads issue. I switched to EBC HH pads a long time ago, and the squealing persists. For the most part, I've developed a habit on this bike of simply riding around the problem. I use my back brake now instead of the front brakes when rolling to a slow stop. This makes for an interesting dance, as I quickly alternate my left and right feet just before coming to a complete stop. It's generally only when I ride up in the mountains, on slower downhill switchbacks, that I still have to deal with the squealing.

This issue remains the only fly in my CB's ointment. Otherwise, it's still my favorite bike to ride, most of the time. I enjoy the Z900's superior speed, smoothness, and agility, and also its sound, but the Honda's ride quality is so good that I still tend to enjoy myself more on the CB. I also enjoy the sound, even if I slightly prefer the Z's meaner howl.

The main thing about the CB is that I enjoy the feeling it gives me. When I open the garage and see the two bikes sitting side by side, I love them both. Here's the difference, however. When it's a Z900 day, my mindset is one of getting to the right roads as quickly as possible, and riding them well. I want to be smooth, precise, focused. It's always another testing day, a mini Sepang or Valencia, both of the bike and myself. When it's a CB day, it's simply...MOTORCYCLE DAY! YAY! The CB feels more like an escape from my every-day working life. That moment when I get to fire up my red beauty and throw a leg over, yep, it always feels more like a proper day off. I don't feel singularly compelled to find a certain twisty road. Instead, just getting out there and enjoying the sensations of riding a smooth, wonderful motorcycle, is enough.

It's a different sort of satisfaction, and one I've grown to prefer, more often than not. I still love the occasional FAST DAY!, but now I look forward more to the simpler, purer MOTORCYCLE DAY! The world just looks and feels different to me—different, and better—from the saddle of my CB1100.
 
I just checked out the z900's.. sorry, not for me.. nice bike, but no place to mount my windshield.. I prefer an open faced helmet, so I must have one.. when I went shopping for a new bike, that was the first thing I looked for.. the ability to mount a windshield.. I saw the little 2017 cb and said to myself, that's the one !! ..
 
On upright standards like the CB1100 and Z900, I wouldn't use a windshield if you paid me. All they do is add noise and turbulent buffeting, or they're so tall that you spend half your time looking through them. Plus, man, they are so ugly. On something as beautiful as a CB1100, they're an aesthetic abomination.

Nope, not for me. Adding a windshield defeats the entire purpose of riding a naked bike.
 
I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.. we all have our own likes and dislikes.. allow me mine.. I came from an 1800 goldwing and want the storage they offer.. by adapting my cb, I have come up with a good compromise in my book.. backrest, tail bag, hard bags, windshield, ports for heated gear, and plenty of clocks !! .. haha ..

.
86b8c9856aefe8e80124a284b17f505e.jpg
 
Back
Top