2018 Motorcycling Resolutions

Coming down the home stretch, 19 days left in the month of Dec and I need to ride them all to hit my goal of 300 days riding this year (Currently at 281 days)

I'm a lot closer on the mileage goal though.. I'm at 19,767 miles, so only need 237 more miles to meet the 20K goal I set when this thread started.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Coming down the home stretch, 19 days left in the month of Dec and I need to ride them all to hit my goal of 300 days riding this year (Currently at 281 days)

I'm a lot closer on the mileage goal though.. I'm at 19,767 miles, so only need 237 more miles to meet the 20K goal I set when this thread started.
Glad to see you're feeling better and back in your groove!
 
That’s either going to be a busy 19 days m in sc or I should start a thread for 2019 resolutions.

Go Ferret.
 
this morning I rode 132 miles and turned over 20,006 miles for the year, 283 days riding. Need the rest of the days in Dec to meet my other goal of 300 days riding.
 
Thread starter
The roads were slick today and are supposed to be even worse tomorrow. My riding year is, therefore, complete. Here's a re-cap of my 2018 resolutions and a few stats that I found noteworthy.

1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak (currently at 46 months, but with a little luck, it'll be 47 on 1/1)
Currently at 58 months
2. To earn a second Iron Butt certificate, possibly by riding from Chicago to either Colorado or Texas.
Unfulfilled. :( I rode a lot this year and had a few fairly long riding days, but I could not put together an organized attack on another documented 1000 mile day ride.
3. To attend the 2018 CB1100 rally in either Kentucky or West Virginia
Attended the Kentucky Rally. It was, and will remain, one of the best experiences I have had as a motorcyclist. The roads, the personalities, the camaraderie, and yes, even the rain made this the resolution I was most pleased to have kept.
4. To ride 12,000 miles (2017 yielded a tick over 10,000 miles)
Resolution met. See below for the stats.
5. To obtain a decent 'lanyard' camera.
Resolution met. Love my waterproof camera.
6. To take more ride photos and to write more ride reports.
Took more photos. Did not write more ride reports. This is the resolution that I am most disappointed in not keeping.
7. To complete the Tour of Honor ride within my state. Just registered for the tour which starts in April.
Did not visit the 7 memorials in Illinois, but did visit & TOH memorials in 5 different states. Resolution half-kept.

Y/E 2018 Stats
Total Miles = 12,498 (or halfway around the world +47 miles)
Lowest Mileage Month = January (27 miles)
Highest Mileage Month = July (3,030 miles)
Longest Single Riding Day = June 21st (517 miles for annual "Solstice Ride")
Total Number of Riding Days = 134 (or 37% of all days or a little better than 1 out of every 3 days)

A Few Thoughts and Observations
I clocked almost twice as many miles in July than I did in August (1,536) and nearly twice as many in December (291) than in November (172), both somewhat unusual -- Particularly so for the month of July because my two biggest trips of the year were in June and October.

I don't think I can overstate the how much the Berea Rally meant to me. The Ferret and his beautiful wife were so kind to me. Meeting so many great riders with equally great attitudes was absolutely delightful. I established new friendships and reinforced existing ones. I urge anyone reading this to make their own resolution to attend a CB1100 Rally.

There is a thread elsewhere on this forum for 2019 Resolutions/Goals. Check it out and put those goals out there so we can encourage your success just as so many encouraged mine this past year.

Happy New Year to all. Ride On.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The roads were slick today and are supposed to be even worse tomorrow. My riding year is, therefore, complete. Here's a re-cap of my 2018 resolutions and a few stats that I found noteworthy.

1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak (currently at 46 months, but with a little luck, it'll be 47 on 1/1)
Currently at 58 months
2. To earn a second Iron Butt certificate, possibly by riding from Chicago to either Colorado or Texas.
Unfulfilled. :( I rode a lot this year and had a few fairly long riding days, but I could not put together an organized attack on another documented 1000 mile day ride.
3. To attend the 2018 CB1100 rally in either Kentucky or West Virginia
Attended the Kentucky Rally. It was, and will remain, one of the best experiences I have had as a motorcyclist. The roads, the personalities, the camaraderie, and yes, even the rain made this the resolution I was most pleased to have kept.
4. To ride 12,000 miles (2017 yielded a tick over 10,000 miles)
Resolution met. See below for the stats.
5. To obtain a decent 'lanyard' camera.
Resolution met. Love my waterproof camera.
6. To take more ride photos and to write more ride reports.
Took more photos. Did not write more ride reports. This is the resolution that I am most disappointed in not keeping.
7. To complete the Tour of Honor ride within my state. Just registered for the tour which starts in April.
Did not visit the 7 memorials in Illinois, but did visit & TOH memorials in 5 different states. Resolution half-kept.

Y/E 2018 Stats
Total Miles = 12,498 (or halfway around the world +47 miles)
Lowest Mileage Month = January (27 miles)
Highest Mileage Month = July (3,030 miles)
Longest Single Riding Day = June 21st (517 miles for annual "Solstice Ride")
Total Number of Riding Days = 134 (or 37% of all days or a little better than 1 out of every 3 days)

A Few Thoughts and Observations
I clocked almost twice as many miles in July than I did in August (1,536) and nearly twice as many in December (291) than in November (172), both somewhat unusual -- Particularly so for the month of July because my two biggest trips of the year were in June and October.

I don't think I can overstate the how much the Berea Rally meant to me. The Ferret and his beautiful wife were so kind to me. Meeting so many great riders with equally great attitudes was absolutely delightful. I established new friendships and reinforced existing ones. I urge anyone reading this to make their own resolution to attend a CB1100 Rally.

There is a thread elsewhere on this forum for 2019 Resolutions/Goals. Check it out and put those goals out there so we can encourage your success just as so many encouraged mine this past year.

Happy New Year to all. Ride On.
I, for one, am sorry you weren't able to keep to this resolution; but, hey, most resolutions are made to be broken so you've done pretty darned well during 2018. Congratulations and Happy New Year to you too.

:thumbsup:
 
Quite the good year for you Sea, and I'm guessing next year will be even better. Great that you kept the monthly riding streak going. 12,000 miles a year is a pretty good lick for a guy still working full time.

The Kentucky rally was amazing considering the weather forecast. It was a success because members like you disregarded the dire predicitions and came anyway. Ended up the weather wasn't so bad, the cameraderie, great, the riding outstanding and the food delish! And Dianne and I thank you for the kind words. We consider you a good friend.


Happy New Year buddy!
 
Well day 300 was ridden in heavy rain and 51 degrees on the FJR. Only did 37 miles, but it finished off the year and meets my goal of riding 300 days.

here's the tally:

Total days ridden ….. 300
Total Miles on CB …. 6316
Total Miles on ST …. 6403
Total miles on FJR …. 8383
Total miles ridden 21,102
Ave miles per day ridden 70

Total days Missed 65 … (44) medical ..36 to broken arm.. 9 to knee issue (17) weather (4) out of town

Days missed per month …. Jan (12)
Feb (1)
Mar (0)
April (0)
May ( 0)
June (7)
July (5)
Aug (9)
Sept (27)
Oct (3)
Nov (1)
Dec (0)

Least miles in a day …. 25 on ST (Jan 6th at -2 degrees)
Most miles in a day …. 520 on FJR (day I broke my arm lol)
Most miles in a week …. 1487 on FJR
Most miles in a month …. 2405 (July)
Least miles in a month …. 220 Sept (broken arm)
Months over 2000 miles …. 4 (April, July, Oct, Dec)
Most miles on CB in a day …. 300 (Oct 8)
Most miles on CB in a month …. 1502 (May)

Looking forward to racking up some days/miles in 2019
 
Ferret,
Why in best riding months, you lost the most:
June (7)
July (5)
Aug (9)
**Sept (27)
When did you "crash" FJR, in September (27)**
:)
 
Congrats on those very impressive numbers. Most impressive might be 0 days lost in December. That's dedication there. What is your mileage/days ridden goal for 2019?
 
Peter a knee issue (torn miniscus both knees) in June, I went out of town for 4 days in July with my wife in the truck, and I broke the arm on Aug 22 and wasn't allowed to ride again technically until Oct 5th (but I started riding Sept 28)

Thanks Dbarkdoll, I'm still going to go with 300 and 20K. The older I get the harder it seems to be getting to get in the big miles. I can still do the days, just not as many miles/ big trips, especially since my wife can no longer put in big mile days. The pattern seems to be more days and less miles lol

2017 I did 338 and 29,105
2016 I did 323 and 25,304
2015 I did 274 and 22,033
2014 I did 241 and 27,053 ( the year I did my bucket list ride to the west coast..without that trip it would have been around 21,500)

Riding that much takes determination (and stupidity) oh and a very understanding wife lol.
 
Splendid effort, Ferret.
 
Some pretty impressive riding tallies guys. MTC, good numbers considering the climate in the Chicago area, and finding the time to ride when running a business,
And Ferret! Wow, you’re a tall man standing among us!
 
Thanks guys..it's easier to do since I'm retired and have no other life lol

Pic from today

f4232481522f751fde59989102acee43.jpg
 
Back
Top