2018 Motorcycling Resolutions

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
With winter upon us in the northern hemisphere, folks are chafing at the bit to talk about their 2018 New Year’s resolutions even though the new year is still over a week away. I figured the time was right to start the 2018 thread.

We want to know your motorcycling goals and aspirations for 2018... So let’s have ‘em!
 
Last year I resolved to ride twice a week instead of just once. I was lucky to get one ride a week in because it rained all summer. So this year I am just remaining quiet in case Mother Nature is on-line.
 
No particular ambitions for 2018 except to ride more than I did in 2017 - and 2017 wasn't all that bad so I have no real complaints.
No tours or overnight rides are planned, but that can change quickly. Being retired and a widower means I can make spur-of-the-moment decisions and just go :D

Wow, I just saw that this is post 2000! Quite a milestone.
 
Order a WHITEHOUSE:CB1100 K10 FRONT FENDER by spring to put on my DLX
 
Thread starter
I was able to achieve my 2017 goals without much fuss. I have set the bar a little higher for myself this year. #2 and #4 will likely be the most difficult resolutions to keep.

1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak (currently at 46 months, but with a little luck, it'll be 47 on 1/1)
2. To earn a second Iron Butt certificate, possibly by riding from Chicago to either Colorado or Texas.
3. To attend the 2018 CB1100 rally in either Kentucky or West Virginia
4. To ride 12,000 miles (2017 yielded a tick over 10,000 miles)
5. To obtain a decent 'lanyard' camera.
6. To take more ride photos and to write more ride reports.
LongRanger_imp said:
Find some new places to ride because I'm getting bored with the roads I've got.
Funny, because I hope to ride in your area because the roads look interesting. LOL
 
My resolutions or goals are

20,000 miles
300 days riding
attend rally in W Va or Kentucky
Maybe find a smaller daily rider like an NC 700 or something... not sure on this resolution yet

Visit S Dakota and N Dakota on the ST (2 of the 6 states I need, to have ridden in all of the lower 48 states)
 
I posted this in 2017 resolutions, but I guess I should move it to here:

My resolution is to get that BMW K 1600 GT/GTL I've set my sites on, while I'm still able to ride.

I maybe wrong, but I keep having a vision of me not able to ride saying, "I could've, I should've, why didn't I?" I don't want that to haunt me.

I'll keep the CB, still love it....worked all last summer trying to make room for a second motorcycle in my garage.

Then maybe I'll have the honor of riding with Ferret when he is on his ST1300 ;-)

My thinking is I should buy a sport touring bike instead of trying to turn my CB into one....then maybe I'll ride to long distance destination rather than tow it there.

I like the GT, but I'm thinking I need the GTL for added storage space.
 
Thread starter
offroad - That is a wonderful resolution. My friend, Glen has the GTL and likes it very much. I am not convinced that the top case is at all necessary unless you are riding two-up, but I don't know if there are other features of the GTL that make it more desirable. I'm curious, also, if you are going to give the new Goldwing a once over before keeping your resolution. Oh...and I bet I could convince Glen to let you ride his BMW sometime if we can work out the logistics (Yes, that's an invitation for you to head north this summer so we can ride together). Happy New Year.
 
Thanks MTC, I do plan on riding your way next spring/summer. My son lives in Hoffman estates area.

I will take a look at the new gold wing, I'll probably have to go to a dealer somewhere else as the two near me don't allow test rides. From what I've read so far the gw is still a touring bike vs the sport touring bmw. But I'll keep an open mind when shopping.

I did ride a GT last summer, I was totally impressed! One of the main differences between the gt and gtl I read was seat height, so I'll have to check that out. I loved the sound of the GT, not sure how the GTL sounds.

My plan to get it early spring so I can get in a full season of riding...but the windshield, heated seat, heated grips should extend the season.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Find some new places to ride because I'm getting bored with the roads I've got.
I found the same thing even though I shuffle the 100 maps I made so my day rides are different.

At the end of last year I reversed one of my favourite day ride routes. It was like riding on completely different roads. Worth a try!
 
Oh, I've ridden them up and back, both directions, day and night, countless times. I'm the Rallymaster for the Colorado Classic 1000 (SS1000) and probably know more roads and backroads around here than most natives. After a while, the same old thing gets boring. But I do delight in showing others around and suggesting fun and scenic routes.

There is some wonderful riding about 7 hours northeast of here, in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I guess my resolution is to wander up there for a week and discover some new favorites (though not during the first two weeks of August). In many respects, I find the riding there to be much nicer than in Colorado -- I guess it all depends on what you're after.
 
My resolution is to stop more frequently at little out of the way places for a hot dog and to talk more with the folks there when I am out riding and wandering.
 
Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
Thanks MTC, I do plan on riding your way next spring/summer. My son lives in Hoffman estates area.

I will take a look at the new gold wing, I'll probably have to go to a dealer somewhere else as the two near me don't allow test rides. From what I've read so far the gw is still a touring bike vs the sport touring bmw. But I'll keep an open mind when shopping.

I did ride a GT last summer, I was totally impressed! One of the main differences between the gt and gtl I read was seat height, so I'll have to check that out. I loved the sound of the GT, not sure how the GTL sounds.

My plan to get it early spring so I can get in a full season of riding...but the windshield, heated seat, heated grips should extend the season.

Hoffman Estates is just a few miles west of me. We could ride the Lakefront together...Lake Shore Drive north to Sheridan road. It's not too curvy, but if you haven't ridden that route, you should. We should.

I agree that the Wing is more touring than sport-touring and that big BMW is a magnificent bike, but still it might be worth a look. I can't guarantee it, but I am almost certain that my dealer will have a Wing to demo and they're half way between Hoffman Estates and me. We ride the lakefront, demo the wing, and have a lovely dinner (perhaps in my back yard). Let's make some plans!
4 Paws_imp said:
My resolution is to stop more frequently at little out of the way places for a hot dog and to talk more with the folks there when I am out riding and wandering.
THAT is an excellent resolution for many of us, 4 Paws. I'm adding it to my list.

Also added to my list is completing the seven (I think) stops required to be certified on the Tour of Honor, for which I just registered.
LongRanger_imp said:
Oh, I've ridden them up and back, both directions, day and night, countless times. I'm the Rallymaster for the Colorado Classic 1000 (SS1000) and probably know more roads and backroads around here than most natives. After a while, the same old thing gets boring. But I do delight in showing others around and suggesting fun and scenic routes.

There is some wonderful riding about 7 hours northeast of here, in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I guess my resolution is to wander up there for a week and discover some new favorites (though not during the first two weeks of August). In many respects, I find the riding there to be much nicer than in Colorado -- I guess it all depends on what you're after.
So... if a fella was considering doing a Bun Bunner 1500 from say, Chicago to, say, Grand Junction would you be someone that could help him figure a route that yields the requisite 1500 miles? And would you be someone to talk to about taking a more or less scenic route from Grand Junction back to Chicago? If so, I know a guy you should talk to. ;) lol
 
Chicago to Grand Junction via interstate is only about 1250 miles, so if you stuck to the slab, you'd come up a bit short. It'd be easy to find you another 250 miles through the Rockies to make it an even 1500, but it'd really depend on the time of day (or night) you'd be passing through. If your ride took you through the mountains during the day, then yes, there are lots of scenic and curvy options to consider. At 4:00AM? Not so much. Happy to help with route recommendations as you get closer to finalizing your plans. And you're welcome to use my place as your home base while you're out here. I'm 225 miles due east of Grand Junction on I-70.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Chicago to Grand Junction via interstate is only about 1250 miles, so if you stuck to the slab, you'd come up a bit short. It'd be easy to find you another 250 miles through the Rockies to make it an even 1500, but it'd really depend on the time of day (or night) you'd be passing through. If your ride took you through the mountains during the day, then yes, there are lots of scenic and curvy options to consider. At 4:00AM? Not so much. Happy to help with route recommendations as you get closer to finalizing your plans. And you're welcome to use my place as your home base while you're out here. I'm 225 miles due east of Grand Junction on I-70.
Thanks, LR. I will PM you about this. I was thinking about taking the least curvy route possible, but maybe coming west through Wyoming before turning south. Or going south of Denver and crossing CO on US50, but we can discuss in PM so as not to hijack this thread. Thanks for the offer of lodging; I may take you up on that.

MTC
 
Thread starter
Added 7th resolution...

EmptySea_imp said:
I was able to achieve my 2017 goals without much fuss. I have set the bar a little higher for myself this year. #2 and #4 will likely be the most difficult resolutions to keep.

1. To ride at least once per month to continue my streak (currently at 46 months, but with a little luck, it'll be 47 on 1/1)
2. To earn a second Iron Butt certificate, possibly by riding from Chicago to either Colorado or Texas.
3. To attend the 2018 CB1100 rally in either Kentucky or West Virginia
4. To ride 12,000 miles (2017 yielded a tick over 10,000 miles)
5. To obtain a decent 'lanyard' camera.
6. To take more ride photos and to write more ride reports.
LongRanger_imp said:
Find some new places to ride because I'm getting bored with the roads I've got.
Funny, because I hope to ride in your area because the roads look interesting. LOL
 
Ride more
Hike more (Sawmill trails, yesterday, Corn Creek Springs, today)
Spend less time on computer
 
Thread starter
Sportster's "hike more" resolution reminded me that I have one more resolution for 2018 which I didn't include at first because I thought it was not moto-related, but it really is. Resolution #8 is to continue to exercise regularly to lose weight, improve balance and flexibility, and increase strength ALL of which should make my other 7 resolutions easier to attain.
 
Back
Top