2017 speedo look...

SI = "is the modern form of the metric system and is the most widely used system of measurement".
:thumbsup:
 
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
a 200 mph speedo? World Fastest Indian lol

yes in comparison the 17 speedo looks rather busy.
To be fair, nowhere on the Indian speedometer do I see an indication of MPH. If that is the case, this clearly must have been part of Indian's "Dream (On) Package".

pekingduck_imp said:
I like the 2013 gauges best, especially the green faces. Even though the stainless rims are not structurally needed, it reminds me of old Smiths gauges. But I have found the gear indicator increasingly useful.
As do I, but I thought that Honda kept the green faces all this time. Is it not just a matter of a lack of lighting on the later model gauges?

VLJ_imp said:
I love the angled font on the '17. The smaller second row of KPH digits doesn't bother me in the least. Makes it easier to differentiate the speedo from the tach at a quick glance. Some of my VWs had tachs that read 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 x 100 rather than the usual 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 x 1000, which made the tach look just like the speedo.

Yep, I'm fine with the numbers and fonts on the '17. I just wish they'd kept the green face.
Has differentiating a speedometer from a tachometer in/on any sort of vehicle honestly been a problem for you?

Again, I thought the gauges were still green, but darker. Really not the case?
As do I, but I thought that Honda kept the green faces all this time. Is it not just a matter of a lack of lighting on the later model gauges?
No, the 2014 Standard and 2017 EX ditched the green face for a black face. Kinda like when Fender ditched the Blackface for the Silverface. No one was happy about it.

Guth Wrote:
VLJ_imp said:
I love the angled font on the '17. The smaller second row of KPH digits doesn't bother me in the least. Makes it easier to differentiate the speedo from the tach at a quick glance. Some of my VWs had tachs that read 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 x 100 rather than the usual 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 x 1000, which made the tach look just like the speedo.

Yep, I'm fine with the numbers and fonts on the '17. I just wish they'd kept the green face.
Has differentiating a speedometer from a tachometer in/on any sort of vehicle honestly been a problem for you?
As in, a major problem? No. It was annoying, though, on my VWs. I could see no reason for it. The speedo has numbers like '30,' '40,' '50,' etc., so why have an identical-looking tach? Just give us a large '1,' '2,' '3,' '4,' like every other tach.

Guth Wrote:Again, I thought the gauges were still green, but darker. Really not the case?
Nope. Black, not green. Not a good move.
 
QimmiQ_imp said:
Clearly the most practical response, is for the US to join the rest of the sensible world, like your wonderful neighbours in Canada (yes there is a "u" in that word), and switch to kilometres per hour. Then we could both dispense with those mph numbers cluttering up our interface. :-)
It looks pretty clean with the speedo only in km/h:

https://www.honda.es/content/dam/ce...00-RS-dials.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/c4.jpg


https://www.honda.es/motorcycles/range/street/cb1100-rs/overview.html
 
Thread starter
jtopiso_imp said:
QimmiQ_imp said:
Clearly the most practical response, is for the US to join the rest of the sensible world, like your wonderful neighbours in Canada (yes there is a "u" in that word), and switch to kilometres per hour. Then we could both dispense with those mph numbers cluttering up our interface. :-)
It looks pretty clean with the speedo only in km/h:

https://www.honda.es/content/dam/ce...00-RS-dials.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/c4.jpg


https://www.honda.es/motorcycles/range/street/cb1100-rs/overview.html
There ya go! Nice:clap:
 
I'm thinking about taking the meter assembly apart, masking off the needle and the mph numbers using a template like this one. Hopefully I can find a matching spray paint.

As soon as the bathroom and kitchen are remodeled.
 
Thread starter
Haha....finally, someone taking this seriously! :shy: :beerchug:

(although your remod priorities are seriously out of whack!)


pekingduck_imp said:
I'm thinking about taking the meter assembly apart, masking off the needle and the mph numbers using a template like this one. Hopefully I can find a matching spray paint.

As soon as the bathroom and kitchen are remodeled.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
"Officer, I, um, ..., ..., don't know really what to say."
Oh my, laughing helps! I think I'd say something like--(and this needs to be said as fast as you can in one breath)

"ya see, officer, the guys on a particular forum got me to thinking that my speedo was all cluttered and so I thought to myself, I need to modify that so that I don't get distracted by the cluttered numbers, you know, so that I would keep track of my speed better and insure that I wouldn't be a menace to other drivers, well, wouldn't you know it, this pekinkduck dude on the forums had this nice cut-out to place over the face of speedo panel, but it wasn't quite the right size, and as I attemped to adjust said cutout, my hand slipped a bit, the spray paint got all out of control and then naturally I ended up covering both the km/h AND the mph and so no, officer, I can't really say with any certainty how fast I really was going, just that I know I was attempting to flow with the---I'm sorry, what's that officer?...."

I SAID YOU CAN GO NOW!!
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I'm thinking about taking the meter assembly apart, masking off the needle and the mph numbers using a template like this one. Hopefully I can find a matching spray paint.

As soon as the bathroom and kitchen are remodeled.
If Honda isn't going to push forward with the CB1100 here in the States then we might as well take it upon ourselves to move things forward by using what resources we have available to us and doing what we can. So with the reputation of this forum on the line (and with the eyes of CB1100 fans all over the world upon us) I'm announcing the formation of the CB1100 Forum skunkworks program. The members of this prestigious crack outfit were chosen for their ingenuity, creativity, competence, and fearlessness.

After scouring the forum for leads it was unanimous that an improved speedometer face was the ideal product for the lads to sink their teeth into. I've taken it upon myself to have some prototypes constructed employing pekingduck's truly cutting edge design (it's exactly the kind of forward-looking idea that the skunkworks team respects). On behalf of all the fella's involved, i wanted to pass along the fact that their excitement is almost uncontrollable at this point. Bravo pekingduck!

Seeing how this could well become the first officially authorized CB1100 Forum Farkle, I can't emphasize enough just how much stress the team is under. I'm just now realizing the perhaps I have pushed these boys too far however as the initial reports coming back from our crack field testing unit are not good. There seems to be some confusion amongst those out on the front lines of testing out on the streets. As a result, a highly abnormal number of speeding tickets have been received in the process and at this rate I won't be able to afford to pay these off for much longer. There is also some growing dissension being reported with the test crew complaining about the risks that they are taking. I'm officially putting this skunk works project on hold until I can personally get to the bottom of things. At this point I'm just not sure if the design was simply too challenging for this first effort, or if there were flaws with implementing the design. Either way, I will be reporting back to all stakeholders at some point in time.

It's really quite the shame as this all started with such intense enthusiasm and man, does the prototype ever look sharp.

 
pdedse_imp said:
hahahaaaa....now do it for the tach! : )
Ironically, this was the very first suggestion that the skunkworks team had sent back my way. But in all honesty it had taken them quite a long time to respond. I feared that perhaps caught up in in my own overzealous euphoria I had overloaded the lads right from the get go. By the time I received their suggestion, unbeknownst to them, I had already hired an external consultant of the highest magnitude. One VLJ Instrument Engineering Inc., Ltd., LLC.

Ironically, contained on the very first page of findings within the report produced by VLJ Engineering Inc, Ltd., LLC it was recommended NOT to design both the speedometer and tachometer in similar fashion! I must admit, knowing how quickly the testing crew racked up expenditures via speeding tickets, the $10K that I spent on the report was more than worth it.
 
It's patented. It'll be on Shark Tank this week, and I'll make millions!! I'll sic (sick?) Mr. Wonderful after you. RUFF! I'll buy all available CB1100s and turn them into ugly, un-rideable choppa/bobba/scrambla/cafes, so all our remaining bikes will be held in highest esteem, and lesser bikes will roll off their sidestands as we roll by!!

As soon as the bathroom and kitchen are remodeled.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
It's patented. It'll be on Shark Tank this week, and I'll make millions!! I'll sic (sick?) Mr. Wonderful after you. RUFF! I'll buy all available CB1100s and turn them into ugly, un-rideable choppa/bobba/scrambla/cafes, so all our remaining bikes will be held in highest esteem, and lesser bikes will roll off their sidestands as we roll by!!

As soon as the bathroom and kitchen are remodeled.
Again with the out of whack priorities!
 
pdedse_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
It's patented. It'll be on Shark Tank this week, and I'll make millions!! I'll sic (sick?) Mr. Wonderful after you. RUFF! I'll buy all available CB1100s and turn them into ugly, un-rideable choppa/bobba/scrambla/cafes, so all our remaining bikes will be held in highest esteem, and lesser bikes will roll off their sidestands as we roll by!!

As soon as the bathroom and kitchen are remodeled.
Again with the out of whack priorities!
Again with the out of whack priorities! After looking at my 401k, it may be a while.
 
Back
Top