2017 Honda CB1100 EX Anticipation Thread

Stichill_imp said:
Reference photo to compare similarities / differences between the 2014 DLX and the 2017 EX.

3126056e6fe59decac134a24f04cfd39.jpg
nice side by side comparison but I like the 2017 model because it has RS model.
e684dbfd8e5552e3bd22cb1c8b2fdf92.jpg
 
In comparing all of the CB1100's, the new 2017 is more authentic to the CB750 because it has spoke wheels. The DLX has the all silver engine like the original CB750. They both have 4 in to 2 exhaust that I like a lot as well. To me those are the things that I like the most. I agree spoke wheels are a pain to keep clean, but it adds to the over all look. Spoke wheels on the DLX would be the best of all worlds! Plus the bigger tank and 6th speed on both are a bonus over the 2013 CB1100, in my opinion.
 
TCBronson_imp said:
In comparing all of the CB1100's, the new 2017 is more authentic to the CB750 because it has spoke wheels. The DLX has the all silver engine like the original CB750. They both have 4 in to 2 exhaust that I like a lot as well. To me those are the things that I like the most. I agree spoke wheels are a pain to keep clean, but it adds to the over all look. Spoke wheels on the DLX would be the best of all worlds! Plus the bigger tank and 6th speed on both are a bonus over the 2013 CB1100, in my opinion.
Not just cleaning, but truing spoke wheels periodically is such a pain.
It's super tedious and I'm not good at it so takes forever.
 
I agree with the truing issue. Interestingly all the bikes I have owned with spokes I never had any issues with truing. Maybe because I didn't keep them long enough.
 
Stichill_imp said:
I'm really looking forward to the release of this model in the US!



From many of the comments made in other threads, it sounds like several people expect this bike to be a slow seller. Maybe yes...but maybe no (if the quantity imported is severely limited).

I've never put a deposit down on a bike (particularly a Japanese bike) ahead of release. I assume there's no point until the MSRP is set and the dealers find out about their allocation? Thoughts welcomed.
Here are my thoughts:

Your enthusiasm for the new CB1100 reminds me a bit of my own experience back in 2012 (before the bike had made it here to the states). I was fired up enough by the photos of the bike that when Honda announced their plans to bring it here I went with my gut instinct. Without ever seeing a CB1100 in person I placed a deposit on one without hesitation (which like you, I had never done before and fortunately I've never regretted that decision). Around that time I also met a few other guys on another motorcycling forum who were also fired up about the CB1100. While most people involved in that discussion were pretty excited by the bike, it was still a bit of a mixed bag when it came to reactions overall. While I enjoyed the conversation, I honestly wasn't all that concerned with what the others thought of the bike, I just wanted one (badly). I didn't ponder whether or not it would sell well. All that mattered was that would have at least one to sell to me.

Just as we banter on now about the 2017 EX, so it was back then with the 2013 model. Some didn't like the silver colored side panels. Some didn't like the color of the wheels and the engine. Some didn't like the 4 into 1 exhaust. You get the picture. None of that mattered to me because I did like those things. The overall package just worked for me, and it still does. If my CB1100 were stolen (egads), I'd be out looking for another 2013 model. If you're truly passionate about the new CB1100 and the bike manages to check off all of the right boxes for you then that's honestly all that matters. Whether it's the look of the new tank or the engine treatment or the spoked wheels, it's what you think that counts. Or to put it differently, there's a lot better chance that you'll be happy with the bike if you pay attention to what it is that you like as opposed to what others don't. Go with your gut.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
I'm really looking forward to the release of this model in the US!



From many of the comments made in other threads, it sounds like several people expect this bike to be a slow seller. Maybe yes...but maybe no (if the quantity imported is severely limited).

I've never put a deposit down on a bike (particularly a Japanese bike) ahead of release. I assume there's no point until the MSRP is set and the dealers find out about their allocation? Thoughts welcomed.
Here are my thoughts:

Your enthusiasm for the new CB1100 reminds me a bit of my own experience back in 2012 (before the bike had made it here to the states). I was fired up enough by the photos of the bike that when Honda announced their plans to bring it here I went with my gut instinct. Without ever seeing a CB1100 in person I placed a deposit on one without hesitation (which like you, I had never done before and fortunately I've never regretted that decision). Around that time I also met a few other guys on another motorcycling forum who were also fired up about the CB1100. While most people involved in that discussion were pretty excited by the bike, it was still a bit of a mixed bag when it came to reactions overall. While I enjoyed the conversation, I honestly wasn't all that concerned with what the others thought of the bike, I just wanted one (badly). I didn't ponder whether or not it would sell well. All that mattered was that would have at least one to sell to me.

Just as we banter on now about the 2017 EX, so it was back then with the 2013 model. Some didn't like the silver colored side panels. Some didn't like the color of the wheels and the engine. Some didn't like the 4 into 1 exhaust. You get the picture. None of that mattered to me because I did like those things. The overall package just worked for me, and it still does. If my CB1100 were stolen (egads), I'd be out looking for another 2013 model. If you're truly passionate about the new CB1100 and the bike manages to check off all of the right boxes for you then that's honestly all that matters. Whether it's the look of the new tank or the engine treatment or the spoked wheels, it's what you think that counts. Or to put it differently, there's a lot better chance that you'll be happy with the bike if you pay attention to what it is that you like as opposed to what others don't. Go with your gut.
No I totally agree. I guess I'm primarily reacting to the somber buzz kill that seems to creep into every conversation about the new bike.

My hope in starting this thread was to catalyze more enthusiasm around the new model and provide some self-sustaining positive discussion energy around it for those that dig it. It's unfortunate but true that in too many "product enthusiast" forums, many of the regular denizens are often among the least enthusiastic and the first to pooh-pooh anything new and different.

It doesn't affect my enthusiasm a whit, but I'm all too aware that there are usually 10x or more lurkers and temporary visitors to forums like this. So they may stop in to find out how those "in the know" are receiving the new model. Unfortunately at this point, I think the sentiment about the '17 EX is running about 5:1 "against" based on purely subjective aesthetic criteria focused on mainly one element (the tank), maybe two (the wheels). I just don't think that's a good thing to have happen on a forum ostensibly dedicated to enthusiasm for a particular product.

As ferret pointed out, if the new tank is that objectionable, swapping it doesn't require a huge investment or effort. Ditto the brushed aluminum side covers. But there are a myriad of interesting new details about the new model, both cosmetic and functional, that merit interest. Before I saw the 2017 EX, I would have said that the DLX is represents nearly idealized perfection for the CB1100. I still think it is awesome, but putting the '17 EX next to it (at least for me) provides an "Ah ha!" moment about many of the details that could be subtly updated with positive effect. And the new tank (and the entire RS variant) are there to garner more attention to the effort as a legitimate freshening of an older model.

Indeed, the '17 tank is a departure for Honda. So was the '13 tank...it doesn't look anything like a historic Honda CB750 tank in my opinion...it's some kind of amalgamation of the upper profile of a CB750 tank, the front of a CB750F tank, and the back of a Nighthawk 750 tank. But, it still looks terrific.

What I'm interested in doing is trying to respect the creative talents of the designers, make an attempt to understand their intentions and motivations, and evaluate/appreciate the outcome in light of how well the designers met their objectives. By those criteria, I judge the 2017 CB1100 EX an unqualified success.
 
Stichill you mentioned that " there are a myriad of interesting new details about the new model, both cosmetic and functional, that merit interest." Please elaborate what you see and like. I have to admit the 2017 is growing on me.
 
Thread starter
TCBronson_imp said:
Stichill you mentioned that " there are a myriad of interesting new details about the new model, both cosmetic and functional, that merit interest." Please elaborate what you see and like. I have to admit the 2017 is growing on me.
Cool! You bet. I don't know if I can remember everything but here goes!

Obviously, we have to start with the new seamless tank. I think it has some British notes to it, but with added flair and a chrome Honda tank logo. The shape was chosen to better expose the top of the DOHC engine for our viewing pleasure:

69f12aa8148f389da8357e36738c406d.png


The new taillight is very svelte and well-executed along with the more rounded rear fender and a new chrome seat rail:

3194c95ce476b932f1f5baef6c4f3930.png


b8bdff97990955021bcdc703934b1882.png


18" wire wheels with (40) stainless steel spokes, wide aluminum rims, and smaller hubs (also note silver brake calipers):

e8c70263aa3741fb8fc8dd6878dca50b.png


The double-walled 4-into-2 exhaust is shorter, lighter, and more trim; here you can see the filled-in footpeg bracket that is shorter and exposes more of the spoked wheel:

b563526981b999ec8a81d52867eae81a.png


4707870ed89fce4335cb0516bc729b31.png


LED lighting, chrome horns, chrome meter buckets and headlight bucket, silver clutch/brake reservoirs, chrome trim on airbox, front turn signals mounted on headlight brackets, lower triple-tree yoke mounted higher (but no additional suspension travel):

c087e7afa939b4462e2730fd1f83de78.jpg


Brushed aluminum side panels:

c03a83cc31ca89e500efe04d8e8a9957.jpg


The seat looks re-contoured and may be narrower at the front to help us short-legged riders get our feet down:

6791c06e8ecf1243ee7747203b864707.png


The center dash now has a silver surround and the upper triple tree yoke is a revised die-cast aluminum part, buffed and clear-coated; functional simplicity of white-on-black analog meters; another view of the silver reservoirs; tidier routing of the hoses and cable bundles; flush-mount gas cap (tankbag-friendly); different hand grips; I'm not sure what the extra switch is for (next to the left pod); the extra wire exiting the bottom of the right pod looks like it could be a heated grip (maybe that's what the switch is for on the left):



Aluminum chain guard and silver rear sprocket for a lighter look:

8340d64a8722272fe19ff48ab301c737.jpg


Black engine block to contrast/highlight exhaust downtubes and side covers:

b9c38784d78c1248560d93b207844f06.jpg


Functional changes, from what I've read, include standard ABS, weight 540 lbs (vs '14 DLX 571 lbs), revised intake and exhaust valves/ports & shorter air inlet/revised airbox add 3HP (now 89) and lower peak torque (67 ft-lb) from 5700 to 5500 rpm, overdrive 6th-gear ratio for fuel economy and lower highway revs, revised 1st-5th gear ratios for improved response/acceleration, lightweight aluminum slipper/assist clutch (prevents tire breaking loose on aggressive downshifts and reduces lever effort 16%), a 4.4 gallon capacity on the tank, Showa dual-bending valve (SDBV) front forks, relocated rear brake hose, taller side stand to aid getting bike upright, exhaust system hugs frame tighter for more ground clearance, link pipes hole-punched and optimized for generating "evocative four-cylinder engine note."
 
Stichill_imp said:
I'm really looking forward to the release of this model in the US!



From many of the comments made in other threads, it sounds like several people expect this bike to be a slow seller. Maybe yes...but maybe no (if the quantity imported is severely limited).

I've never put a deposit down on a bike (particularly a Japanese bike) ahead of release. I assume there's no point until the MSRP is set and the dealers find out about their allocation? Thoughts welcomed.
I really like the looks of the 2017, except for the silver side panels. I especially like the spoked wheels, and if they weren't so expensive I would buy a pair for my 2014 Dlx. The new tank shape looks more "modern", but I think I like the shape of my 2014 better, and I prefer an all silver engine.

I put a non-refundable $1,000.00 deposit on my Dlx when I ordered it. I had never seen one in person before I purchased mine. I was seriously considering buying the CB1100 after the first time I saw one on display at the Moto Gp in Laguna Seca, and when Honda released photos of the 2014 model I had to have one. My dealer had no plans to stock the CB1100 Dlx and insisted on the deposit before he would order one.
 
I also read somewhere that the headers are double skinned so you don't get discoloration found on previous bikes.
Slipper clutch is an awesome upgrade.
 
Thread starter
CB1100DLX_imp said:
StichIll, go for it! I've seen it in person and is as beautifull as the photos!
:thumbsup:
Dave_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
I'm really looking forward to the release of this model in the US!



From many of the comments made in other threads, it sounds like several people expect this bike to be a slow seller. Maybe yes...but maybe no (if the quantity imported is severely limited).

I've never put a deposit down on a bike (particularly a Japanese bike) ahead of release. I assume there's no point until the MSRP is set and the dealers find out about their allocation? Thoughts welcomed.
I really like the looks of the 2017, except for the silver side panels. I especially like the spoked wheels, and if they weren't so expensive I would buy a pair for my 2014 Dlx. The new tank shape looks more "modern", but I think I like the shape of my 2014 better, and I prefer an all silver engine.

I put a non-refundable $1,000.00 deposit on my Dlx when I ordered it. I had never seen one in person before I purchased mine. I was seriously considering buying the CB1100 after the first time I saw one on display at the Moto Gp in Laguna Seca, and when Honda released photos of the 2014 model I had to have one. My dealer had no plans to stock the CB1100 Dlx and insisted on the deposit before he would order one.
Good to know! Thanks
CB1100DLX_imp said:
I also read somewhere that the headers are double skinned so you don't get discoloration found on previous bikes.
Slipper clutch is an awesome upgrade.
Yes, the double-walled headers are pretty slick. I think they did that with the '14 DLX as well.

I've never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch, but I think it would be very helpful in wet riding conditions to keep the rear tire under control.
 
Stichill, you've noted the trouble with places like this forum: people don't like change and anything new gets the grumbles going. The other thing that happens is that the comparisons become a tad binary: 'is mine better than yours' kinda thing. My mother used to say 'comparisons are odious'. She was right.

As an example, in ride4now's thread I've voted for the DLX in the comparison photo simply because I reckon it looks slightly better. It was a hard choice though. Does that mean I don't like the new bikes or that I wouldn't have the EX or the RS? No way! If they came to Australia and money and good sense weren't considerations, I'd have one like a shot. Given reality says I can really only use one bike; I've got a perfectly good 2011 CB1100; I'm a bit sentimental about vehicles and we've been so far together, I wouldn't I get rid of it without there being a really good reason. Besides, I want to see how long it takes to fall to bits.

But I still think the new versions look great and I'm glad Honda's making them. And if I were in the market for a new bike and I could have either one of those, I would. Even with the spokes.

And ... in spite of any huffing and puffing around here, I'm sure we'll all be delighted if you become the first person in the US to own one and can tell us all about it. If you register it here, I'll have to do some work on the registry spreadsheet, but I'll look forward to it.
 
Thread starter
Sage thoughts, Cormanus. I remember when Honda came out with the revised 2013 CBR250R paint schemes and wheel color. As a 2012 owner, the new looks didn't appeal to me - at all - but I kept my powder dry. What I would not have predicted was how many people loved the new look for the bike and ran out to buy them. The forum received a huge influx of new owners at that time.

First person in the US to own an EX? Wow, I wonder if that'd be a convincing argument to Mrs. Stichill! "But sweetheart, I've got to put the money down now. All the guys on CB1100forum.com are counting on me to be the first EX owner in the country!" :P
 
When you order your bike, Stichill, tell them to toss in a set of the aluminum side covers for free and then bring them to the rally for me :)
 
Quote:Indeed, the '17 tank is a departure for Honda. So was the '13 tank...it doesn't look anything like a historic Honda CB750 tank in my opinion...it's some kind of amalgamation of the upper profile of a CB750 tank, the front of a CB750F tank, and the back of a Nighthawk 750 tank. But, it still looks terrific.
What I like about the '13 is that it is not simply trying to mimic the original CB750. It aspires to be a tasteful blend of elements that made the CBs great as they evolved from '69 to '80.

The '13 tank (for better or worse) doesn't attempt to channel the early 750 - Whitehouse jumped on that need. The tank, and to a degree, the side panels, and even the seat, instead draw inspiration from the mighty CBX.

To me the 2010-13 was a brilliant homage to what made so many 70's CBs great, not a slavish copy of any one. In some aspects, like gauges, seat, and side panels, I see the newer models as a retreat from that ambitious goal, albeit to a safer (and more popular?) design mission.



I agree with your points on the '17 and am excited to see it in person. I recognize that the pure, air cooled riding experience offered by any year of the CB1100 platform can be enjoyed by any demographic willing to give it a try, not just oldies like me who hold fond memories of the original CB750 or of all the CBs of that decade. I think the '17 and the RS are trying to make my history and sentimentality less of a prerequisite for ownership, which could inspire other demographics to try the CB11 goodness on for size.
 
Back
Top