The OEM rack "How To" thread doesn't match the 2017 EX

TooSlo_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I think the title says it all, but I'm thoroughly confused. I have read the "how-to" thread and all information I can find on [url=http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L70-MGC-AA0.pdf]Honda's site as well as a [url=http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L70-MGC-A40.pdf]thorough Google search, but none of these explain fitment onto the 2017 EX.

I think part of the issue is that if you go through the official Honda Powersports [url=http://shop.powersports.honda.com/p/rear-carrier-5?pp=24]website and click on the "accessory installation instructions", it actually gives you the instructions for the 08L70-MGC-AA0. Apparently, this specific part is no longer available and is subbed for the 08L70-MGC-A40 which includes some additional hardware meant to mount onto the 2014 DLX.

The problem is that I have no idea how to mount it to my bike, which has a slightly different frame from the previous bikes. I'm completely at a loss. This is where I have stopped for the moment:




The racks are the same between the AA0 and the A40, correct? It's just the supplemental "black triangles" and such spacers that are the difference?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm usually not this befuddled by a simple job... :s

Edit: [url=https://www.samurider.com/?p=18457/#itemImage]The rack on samurider, although yet another part number (N40), says the same rack as fits the earlier Deluxe does fit the 2017 "standard model" as well, which I'm assuming is the EX for those of us in the States?

Edit 2: Added a couple of more photos to show where the holes do not line up and where the confusion begins. Perhaps there actually is something different about these racks? That seems unlikely, but I'm left scratching my head about how to use the hardware for the bike I have.


 
Honda has changed racks for the CB1100 several times without explanation. It looks like you have a rack for a 2013-2014 bike. It has a spacing of around 180mm, where your bike needs 200mm. Your front mount will be fine with the right bolts and spacers.

Some of the 2014 racks from Honda came with an adaptor plate to use on the DLX models, but while its spacing is wrong for your needs (and you can't order them either), the illustration gives you an idea what you will need to make.

There is an unused hole on either side at about 160mm, but there is just enough room behind it for a nut, so you will have to fit the right length bolt. Basically you'll need to put a spacer over that hole so it is level with the rear mount, bolt a strap across it, and drill a hole in the strap between for the rack at 180mm.

 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Honda has changed racks for the CB1100 several times without explanation. It looks like you have a rack for a 2013-2014 bike. It has a spacing of around 180mm, where your bike needs 200mm. Your front mount will be fine with the right bolts and spacers.

Some of the 2014 racks from Honda came with an adaptor plate to use on the DLX models, but while its spacing is wrong for your needs (and you can't order them either), the illustration gives you an idea what you will need to make.

There is an unused hole on either side at about 160mm, but there is just enough room behind it for a nut, so you will have to fit the right length bolt. Basically you'll need to put a spacer over that hole so it is level with the rear mount, bolt a strap across it, and drill a hole in the strap between for the rack at 180mm.
Thank you so much! I actually DO have that little black triangle adapter plate, as my kit appears to be for the 2014 DLX. Now to head to the hardware store...
 
Since you have an adapter plate, does it bolt onto the frame properly? If so, just need to drill hole where the red "x" is. Let us know so we can have it in the forum for future reference. Some racks have the triangular plate without the spacer.
 
That was a clear instruction you gave Pekingduck , very nice of you . I do not care what other people say about you , I think that you are ok.....
 
Houtman_imp said:
That was a clear instruction you gave Pekingduck , very nice of you . I do not care what other people say about you , I think that you are ok.....
Thanks Houtman, but I think they were all correct.....
 
Thread starter
Well, it turns out if you get the right kit, it's much easier. Literally just four bolts and two nuts. Since I work in a Honda store, I walked over to the parts counter and asked for an AA0. Apparently you CAN still get them, but I suppose it defaults to showing the A40 as the suggested fitment when you order? I'm not sure. In either event, I got home with both the AA0 and the A40, and...Yeah, the kits aren't even close to each other.

Not just the 180 vs 200 mm spacing, but even the front frame attachments are different.

d275c9641e19e7727406fe406baee120.jpg


e4c00a8f0208b15dfef508c579614cae.jpg


The hardware kits are drastically different. If you have the right kit for the 2017 EX, you won't have spacers. Just four bolts, all of the same length (and they are equivalent to the shorter "medium" bolts from the A40 kit).

1280b6a2992ad5081bd8506a2f0e240e.jpg


And now, for a photo that I don't think exists on the internet (Honda catalogs show the 2014 bike in the image): A top view of the installed rack!

321ed6c9f91f65ce1fc4a6747ce9cda3.jpg


2a43c0c22dfe00301af9d2657e9aea31.jpg


c63e836fa7caea8957c1f61f9dbdbdb9.jpg


84d79344897052ed5df42304cbbe1ff7.jpg


13cdf5036d551d55ccc795bd1f11d966.jpg


3ee2b6c496ec94a6da878e50c97a4d2a.jpg


Oh, and the little rubber hexagons do not fit the new bolts, so put them back in your shiny old chrome bolts for possible future de-racking. All that gets re-used with the kit is the nut behind the rearmost bolts. And per the instructions online for the AA0, torque everything to 30 ft-lbs (40 nm). I did so.
 
TooSlo_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I like all profesional jobs, and this one is = :thumbsup:
Thanks! I never had kids, so I'm picky about my bikes instead. They're my metalchildren. :P
Thanks! I never had kids, so I'm picky about my bikes instead. They're my metalchildren. :P
Bikes are our babes or toys
 
Nice write-up TooSlo.

There had been no online specs of the 2017 EX rack. For future owners, would you please measure the width of the rack at the mounts, from side-to-side? And the width of the spacers, and post them here.
 
TooSlo_imp said:
Well, it turns out if you get the right kit, it's much easier. Literally just four bolts and two nuts. Since I work in a Honda store, I walked over to the parts counter and asked for an AA0. Apparently you CAN still get them, but I suppose it defaults to showing the A40 as the suggested fitment when you order? I'm not sure. In either event, I got home with both the AA0 and the A40, and...Yeah, the kits aren't even close to each other.

Not just the 180 vs 200 mm spacing, but even the front frame attachments are different.

d275c9641e19e7727406fe406baee120.jpg


e4c00a8f0208b15dfef508c579614cae.jpg


The hardware kits are drastically different. If you have the right kit for the 2017 EX, you won't have spacers. Just four bolts, all of the same length (and they are equivalent to the shorter "medium" bolts from the A40 kit).

1280b6a2992ad5081bd8506a2f0e240e.jpg


And now, for a photo that I don't think exists on the internet (Honda catalogs show the 2014 bike in the image): A top view of the installed rack!

321ed6c9f91f65ce1fc4a6747ce9cda3.jpg


2a43c0c22dfe00301af9d2657e9aea31.jpg


c63e836fa7caea8957c1f61f9dbdbdb9.jpg


84d79344897052ed5df42304cbbe1ff7.jpg


13cdf5036d551d55ccc795bd1f11d966.jpg


3ee2b6c496ec94a6da878e50c97a4d2a.jpg


Oh, and the little rubber hexagons do not fit the new bolts, so put them back in your shiny old chrome bolts for possible future de-racking. All that gets re-used with the kit is the nut behind the rearmost bolts. And per the instructions online for the AA0, torque everything to 30 ft-lbs (40 nm). I did so.
Reviving a necro thread, 'cause there's almost no other specific info. We've spent hours researching this.

We're still considering a very low-mile, one-owner (acquaintance), box-stock 2017EX.

The Lovely Z1BEBE is used to the comfort & security afforded to her by the Hondaline top box on our '09 ST1300A. She won't consider Ridin' the '17EX sans top box / backrest for more than the shortest of outings, so we have to get this right before we buy the bike.

To be clear, it was a 08L70-MGC-AA0 that was the correct & complete kit for a 2017EX? The 08L70-MGC-A40 was not compatible for a 2017EX re: bolt spacing, front spacer length & hardware kit?

Thanks all!

EDIT: sorry for the dupes if you saw them. Keep getting "Internal Server Error" this morning.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
 
Thread starter
slmjim n Z1BEBE_imp said:
TooSlo_imp said:
Well, it turns out if you get the right kit, it's much easier. Literally just four bolts and two nuts. Since I work in a Honda store, I walked over to the parts counter and asked for an AA0. Apparently you CAN still get them, but I suppose it defaults to showing the A40 as the suggested fitment when you order? I'm not sure. In either event, I got home with both the AA0 and the A40, and...Yeah, the kits aren't even close to each other.

Not just the 180 vs 200 mm spacing, but even the front frame attachments are different.

d275c9641e19e7727406fe406baee120.jpg


e4c00a8f0208b15dfef508c579614cae.jpg


The hardware kits are drastically different. If you have the right kit for the 2017 EX, you won't have spacers. Just four bolts, all of the same length (and they are equivalent to the shorter "medium" bolts from the A40 kit).

1280b6a2992ad5081bd8506a2f0e240e.jpg


And now, for a photo that I don't think exists on the internet (Honda catalogs show the 2014 bike in the image): A top view of the installed rack!

321ed6c9f91f65ce1fc4a6747ce9cda3.jpg


2a43c0c22dfe00301af9d2657e9aea31.jpg


c63e836fa7caea8957c1f61f9dbdbdb9.jpg


84d79344897052ed5df42304cbbe1ff7.jpg


13cdf5036d551d55ccc795bd1f11d966.jpg


3ee2b6c496ec94a6da878e50c97a4d2a.jpg


Oh, and the little rubber hexagons do not fit the new bolts, so put them back in your shiny old chrome bolts for possible future de-racking. All that gets re-used with the kit is the nut behind the rearmost bolts. And per the instructions online for the AA0, torque everything to 30 ft-lbs (40 nm). I did so.
Reviving a necro thread, 'cause there's almost no other specific info. We've spent hours researching this.

We're still considering a very low-mile, one-owner (acquaintance), box-stock 2017EX.

The Lovely Z1BEBE is used to the comfort & security afforded to her by the Hondaline top box on our '09 ST1300A. She won't consider Ridin' the '17EX sans top box / backrest for more than the shortest of outings, so we have to get this right before we buy the bike.

To be clear, it was a 08L70-MGC-AA0 that was the correct & complete kit for a 2017EX? The 08L70-MGC-A40 was not compatible for a 2017EX re: bolt spacing, front spacer length & hardware kit?

Thanks all!

EDIT: sorry for the dupes if you saw them. Keep getting "Internal Server Error" this morning.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
Correct, the 08L70-MGC-AA0 is the correct kit for the 2017 EX. I still have the kit on my bike if you need any additional info.
 
On the verge of giving up & pulling the plug on buying the low-mile bike. This luggage rack thing is more difficult than I thought it would be.

Our 2009 ST1300A continues to get taller & heavier as I get older. It has an OEM color-matched Hondaline top box mounted to the cast aluminum, integrated luggage rack that is part of the ST's rear sub-frame.

The Hondaline top box mounts to the sub-frame's rack by means of a large, flat, plastic adapter plate. The plate is secured to the rack with four bolts & some proprietary spacers.

Before we spend any more time chasing this project, does anyone know if the OEM Hondaline adapter plate that is between the rack & top box used on the ST1300's is compatible with the 08L70-MGC-AA0 rack that fits a 2017 EX? If it's not, we give up.

Thanks all.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
 
I assume the ST1300 top box is the same color as the CB1100EX, and that you want to swap the top box to the new bike. There is no dedicated interim adapter plate made for that purpose, but the one you have can be easily adapted to the CB1100EX rack.

You would simply use a pair of adapter straps, drill the holes in the proper place using the existing mounting plate as a template, and sandwich the rack in between. Or use this pair of steel u-channel mounts as found on Amazon for $8. This is a standard method in the mounting of GIVI and other top boxes.

Or drill through the rack bars as I did for a Givi adapter.
 
Back
Top