2017 Fork Spring Upgrade

deuce17EX

First service completed
Thread starter
Has anyone using the 2017 SHOWA front forks replaced the springs in them? Do we know if the stock spring is a carryover from the '13-'14?

I'm a heavier rider and have Ikons to put on the rear, but am wondering if the front springs need replacing as well for my size.

I ask because there's a set of Race Tech springs on ebay in the spring rate I would get for a good price...new.

Any input would be appreciated.
 
deuce17EX_imp said:
Has anyone using the 2017 SHOWA front forks replaced the springs in them? Do we know if the stock spring is a carryover from the '13-'14?

I'm a heavier rider and have Ikons to put on the rear, but am wondering if the front springs need replacing as well for my size.

I ask because there's a set of Race Tech springs on ebay in the spring rate I would get for a good price...new.

Any input would be appreciated.
2013-2014 springs are different from 2017s. 2014 DLXs also have 2 different length springs between left and right sides, as did 2017EX (but different from the DLX}.
Did you try adjusting the preload on your forks?
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
deuce17EX_imp said:
Has anyone using the 2017 SHOWA front forks replaced the springs in them? Do we know if the stock spring is a carryover from the '13-'14?

I'm a heavier rider and have Ikons to put on the rear, but am wondering if the front springs need replacing as well for my size.

I ask because there's a set of Race Tech springs on ebay in the spring rate I would get for a good price...new.

Any input would be appreciated.
2013-2014 springs are different from 2017s. 2014 DLXs also have 2 different length springs between left and right sides, as did 2017EX (but different from the DLX}.
Did you try adjusting the preload on your forks?
2013-2014 springs are different from 2017s. 2014 DLXs also have 2 different length springs between left and right sides, as did 2017EX (but different from the DLX}.
Did you try adjusting the preload on your forks?

What is the purpose of having two different length springs?

I have not adjusted the preload. It obviously crossed my mind, but I think I got distracted by the thought of a good deal! I don't even know where my preload is set, so I guess that is the logical place to start. I just can't help buying parts for my bike!

Thanks for the reply!
 
Back
Top