2017 EX Horn on a 2014 Std

CaptainChris_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi All,

Out of curiosity, has anyone here attempted installing the horns and associated cover and mount from a 2017 EX to the 2014 model? Looking at the microfiche it looks like the parts and the wiring might line up alright but I'm not certain. I really love the look and I think it would go well with the chrome gauge covers and headlight bucket that I've installed so far.
 
CaptainChris_imp said:
Hi All,

Out of curiosity, has anyone here attempted installing the horns and associated cover and mount from a 2017 EX to the 2014 model? Looking at the microfiche it looks like the parts and the wiring might line up alright but I'm not certain. I really love the look and I think it would go well with the chrome gauge covers and headlight bucket that I've installed so far.
I looked into this myself as I think the 2017 horns have a classier look and I like the trim piece that sits between. The horns themselves appear to be clocked at different positions so I think you'd need the mounting bracket that matches. The critical part for cross-fitment of that bracket appears to be the spacing of the holes on the steering stem. If the spacing of the holes match, I don't see why the 2017 horns, bracket and trim piece wouldn't fit on a 2014. Attached is a snip of the 2017 assembly with a circle around the bracket and holes I'm referring too.
 
Thread starter
Yup this is what I'm looking at. My other question is the connectors on the wire harness.. I'm not sure if they're the same or not between the two models from looking at this.
 
CaptainChris_imp said:
Yup this is what I'm looking at. My other question is the connectors on the wire harness.. I'm not sure if they're the same or not between the two models from looking at this.
I wouldn’t sweat the connectors. Most 12V horns have similar terminals for interchangeability. Worst case, you could splice in the right connector or solder direct for a less bulky look.

Once I get my RC1 fairing installed, I think I’m going to look at crafting a new bracket to push my ‘14 horns closer together, lower and back towards the steering stem so they are less conspicuous and not partially covered by the fairing.
 
Does the '14 Std have the higher headlight that the Deluxe has, or is it similar to the '13 models? I just looked carefully at my '13, the parts fiche, and several online photos of the '17 and am pretty sure the horns would not clear the low headlight on my '13 (my horns hang straight down from the "stay" and the '17 horns extend straight to the sides). I see in your intro thread you have (or will have) an aftermarket headlight, so maybe it doesn't matter...

The newer horns remind me of the ones on the V65 Magnas that my father and I owned back in the 80's and 90's (do a search on 1983 V65 Magna to see a picture). They may be a less expensive way to achieve the same look if you end up having to make a mounting bracket anyways.
 
Thread starter
Jvanvuren_imp said:
Does the '14 Std have the higher headlight that the Deluxe has, or is it similar to the '13 models? I just looked carefully at my '13, the parts fiche, and several online photos of the '17 and am pretty sure the horns would not clear the low headlight on my '13 (my horns hang straight down from the "stay" and the '17 horns extend straight to the sides). I see in your intro thread you have (or will have) an aftermarket headlight, so maybe it doesn't matter...

The newer horns remind me of the ones on the V65 Magnas that my father and I owned back in the 80's and 90's (do a search on 1983 V65 Magna to see a picture). They may be a less expensive way to achieve the same look if you end up having to make a mounting bracket anyways.
You're right. The horns on the Magnas do look pretty similar. I'm not too fond of the idea of wrangling my own bracket through. As far as clearance goes, I think there'd be room to just drop them it. I might just have to buy the '17 horn stay (part no. 61406-MGC-JB0) and see if it lines up and start from there.




 
if it were me I'd measure a 17 horn, cut out a cardboard template to match and see if it would possibly fit without buying anything.
 
Thread starter
Here's the current state of my bike. The headlight bucket isn't attached yet because the Dart Classic Flyscreen I ordered came with the wrong side brackets. I emailed Dart's customer service and they're sending me the correct ones for free, which I greatly appreciate. The new brackets will keep the headlight at the same level but slightly further out, so you can mostly see how things will be lining up in the end result.



 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
if it were me I'd measure a 17 horn, cut out a cardboard template to match and see if it would possibly fit without buying anything.
Thanks Ferret. That's not a bad idea at all. If it weren't for the four hours round trip drive to check out the nearest '17 I would definitely do this.
 
Member:Bosti posted up this pic of his '14 EX...looks like new horns...+ '17 air box cover too



edit...bosti beat me to my post...
thx for the info on just re drilling holes for the new horns. The extra chrome on the new horns really do make them pop out nicely

 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
That is a shiny bucket. Where did you get it?

Can you take a shot from the side of the bike stepped back a couple feet?
Josh,

I bought them from Motodemic along with the headlight unit:
OEM Triumph Headlight Bucket

I'll take a photo from the side as soon as I'm back home.
Bosti_imp said:
I have changed my horns on 2015 EX for 2017.
Only bigger holes were made on existing brackets.
The looks are much better.
I have posted pic on thread what did you do on your cb ....

Works perfect.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3268&pid=184725#pid184725
Bosti,

That looks great! Thanks for the info. Are just the horns from the '17 or did you need additional parts to get them mounted?
 
No just horns 2017 and nothing else.
On 2017 horns at the back are bigger bolts so it was the easiest to drill larger holes on existing brackets on my bike.
 
Thread starter
So I finally went ahead and bit the bullet on this. All that was needed was to drill out the mounting holes on the new horns to fit the bolt. Everything else was plug and play. Really happy with the results.

 
CaptainChris_imp said:
So I finally went ahead and bit the bullet on this. All that was needed was to drill out the mounting holes on the new horns to fit the bolt. Everything else was plug and play. Really happy with the results.
Chris, if you don’t mind, what are the part numbers for the 2017 horns? I’m having difficulty finding them online. Thank you
 
Back
Top