2017 CB1100

I agree with pdedse--it's difficult to say what "the market" thinks, without hard numbers. Kawasaki imported the W650 to the US for only two years, 2000 and 2001. The 2001 had improved geometry, seat, and a nicer color scheme on the tank, but they sold far more of the 2000s than the 2001s. The reason is that those who were enthusiastic for this retro bike went out and bought one in 2000, when they were first available. By the following year, that limited market was largely saturated with happy 2000 model owners. Kawasaki realized this and pulled the bike from our shores, though it continued on in Europe and Japan and eventually became the W800. I would not assert that this was because the esthetics or performance of the 2000 was preferred; the company learned what the depth of demand was by having lots of leftover 2001s.

Assessing the failure or success of the 2014 would need to take into account the total market--not just DLX but also how many potential CB buyers already bought a 2013. I doubt it was price alone.
 
I know it's not necessarily a good or reliable sample, but the forum registry tends to bear out baxtercat's view about the US market. There are 242 2013 bikes and 172 2014s, standard and DLX.

The highest VIN for 2013 is 1785; the highest for 2014 standards is 2497. That makes me wonder whether, buoyed by the sales of the 2013, Honda made a lot more 2014s than 2013s and then found much of the market likely to buy the bike had want they wanted. Hence there are now a lot of unsold standards in a warehouse somewhere and people are getting serious bargains at the expense of sales of the 2017.
 
I bought my 2013 in late 14 or mid 15. I was unaware at that time that there were 2 different versions of the 14 on the market. Had I known this I might have gone for the DLX first (heavily dependent on what the final price would be vs the 13). Second choice prob would have been the black also dependent on the total cost vs the 13. At no time would looks have played a part in the selection process as I like all three of them pretty much equally. Biggest consideration would have been the larger tank, then 6th gear. Having lived with the 13 now for 15.2K miles 6th gear would no longer be a decision factor for me. But the larger gas tank still is.
 
We all like different things and features about the CB 1100. I bought the 13 CB because it was the only one available. If the black 14 had been the only one available I would have bought one of those. If the 17 had been the only one available, I would have bought one of those. I bought the Deluxe because it actually had more of the features I wanted in a bike over the 13 I had originally bought.

If all 4 had been available in the dealership when I walked in, I'd have chosen the DLX first, the 17 ex second, the 13 third, and the black 14 last. Just a matter of personal taste.

If I could have whatever I wanted, it would probably be a deluxe in black with black side covers, but I'm ok with the red.

Funny thing is, if somehow my dlx paint got damaged, I'd probably have it painted like one of the Whitehouse retro versions. I love the look of Alprider's blue bike.
 
Mangos and potatoes
Quote:... The base price of a 2017 CB1100 EX is US$12,300. The base price of a comparable Triumph 80 HP 1200cc T120 Bonneville is $11,800, but if you add the two-tone fuel tank it is US$12,300... North American motorcycle market is so dominated by HD that the vast majority of potential customers consider two cylinders to be not a compromise for budget-conscious, but something entirely appropriate on a top-tier offering. Or, IMHO, comparing an I4 Honda with an I2 Triumph is not comparing apples and oranges, it is comparing mangos and potatoes.
 
VLJ_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
Besides all the extra chrome and aluminum, the main differences for the '17 EX are the forks, shocks, wheels, inlets, tank, headlight, and tail light.
Which btw is why perhaps they are still sitting in the showrooms and being discounted and the new Harley bikes are black and dark chrome. Dark is in even at harley Davidson.
Which btw is why perhaps they are still sitting in the showrooms and being discounted and the new Harley bikes are black and dark chrome. Dark is in even at harley Davidson.
Nope, that's not the reason at all. The bike's looks are not the problem. In general, people who appreciate retro standards love the overall aesthetics of every CB1100 model. The issue with the '17 EX is the same problem that has always afflicted the CB1100 model line: too high of an initial msrp for what is perceived by many as too little relative performance from a Honda-built 1140cc I4.

The only model of CB1100 that sold out was the very-limited-production '14 Deluxe, which, like the '17 EX, was also extremely red, and slathered in shiny chrome. Honda produced so few '14 Deluxes, however, that it's difficult to gauge how successful the model would have been had it been produced in the same numbers as the '14 Standard.

Anyway, it's very simple. Drop the '17 EX's initial msrp to $9,999 and add twenty-five ponies to the stable, and there would be precious little reason to buy any other naked retro.

Edit: I agree with Stichill. The murdered-out look of the '14 was a contributing factor in its poor sales numbers, as was its lack of dual exhaust pipes. Of course there are plenty of owners of the '13 model and the '14 Standard that prefer the lighter weight of the single exhaust, but the general consensus is that the red models were prettier, and, more importantly, more period-correct for a CB Honda. Additionally, the numerous upgrades touted by Honda for the '14 Deluxe left the '14 Standard looking like an entry-level model for the budget-conscious buyer, which, as it turned out, is exactly what it ended up being.
Which btw is why perhaps they are still sitting in the showrooms and being discounted and the new Harley bikes are black and dark chrome. Dark is in even at harley Davidson.
Nope, that's not the reason at all. The bike's looks are not the problem. In general, people who appreciate retro standards love the overall aesthetics of every CB1100 model. The issue with the '17 EX is the same problem that has always afflicted the CB1100 model line: too high of an initial msrp for what is perceived by many as too little relative performance from a Honda-built 1140cc I4.

The only model of CB1100 that sold out was the very-limited-production '14 Deluxe, which, like the '17 EX, was also extremely red, and slathered in shiny chrome. Honda produced so few '14 Deluxes, however, that it's difficult to gauge how successful the model would have been had it been produced in the same numbers as the '14 Standard.

Anyway, it's very simple. Drop the '17 EX's initial msrp to $9,999 and add twenty-five ponies to the stable, and there would be precious little reason to buy any other naked retro.

Edit: I agree with Stichill. The murdered-out look of the '14 was a contributing factor in its poor sales numbers, as was its lack of dual exhaust pipes. Of course there are plenty of owners of the '13 model and the '14 Standard that prefer the lighter weight of the single exhaust, but the general consensus is that the red models were prettier, and, more importantly, more period-correct for a CB Honda. Additionally, the numerous upgrades touted by Honda for the '14 Deluxe left the '14 Standard looking like an entry-level model for the budget-conscious buyer, which, as it turned out, is exactly what it ended up being.
So, I'm a budget-conscious buyer riding an entry-level model that is murdered out.

One of the deplorables too, I suppose.

Guess I need to make some deplorables tee shirts for us six speed light weight single pipe cheapo riders for the meet-up. It will say "Cheapo Biker" on the back and a black CB1100 engine over the heart although you overweight red bike owners (the bike, not you!) will likely only see our backs and my special shirt that says on it also on the back, "Kiss the Big Pipe".
BTW, it's a pearl black with chrome accents, you pretty bike rider, not exactly "murdered out". But I have to admit the red is "pretty", oh so "pretty" when I see one in the rear mirror.
You DLX and other red bike riders kill me everytime I see this stuff, I'll bring you some bike polish to the meet and maybe some chrome polish also. Give you something to do.
 
NightRider, by all means then, go ahead and provide us with your reasons as to why the '14 Standard sold (and continues to sell) like sand in the Sahara.
 
That's not the question. The question is why you choose to insult most of your fellow forum members and their beloved rides as if the 14 STD model is somehow less of a bike because it is targeted toward a different buyer than yourself.

That buyer is one who likes to save money and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike. The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.

Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.

Okay in my rear view mirror.
 
If I had the means, I would buy a fleet of '14 standards. It's a whole lotta bike for under $7K. It's half the price of the cheapest Softail. I would open a motorcycle renting/touring business. If I cashed out my retirement... Nah. But I'm tempted to buy one for my son, who will be legal to ride on the road in another year.
 
NightRider_imp said:
That's not the question. The question is why you choose to insult most of your fellow forum members and their beloved rides as if the 14 STD model is somehow less of a bike because it is targeted toward a different buyer than yourself.

That buyer is one who likes to save money and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike. The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.

Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.

Okay in my rear view mirror.
I didn't insult anybody. I stated facts. The Deluxe clearly has more content than the Standard, which is why the Deluxe costed more and was more popular, despite its higher price tag.

Quote:That buyer is one who likes to save money
So when you say it, it's not insulting to Standard buyers, but when I say the exact same thing, it's insulting to them?

Alrighty then.

Quote:and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike.
Actually, no. The seamless, contoured tank with the brilliant paintwork on the '17 is almost universally regarded among non-owners as being better-looking than the tank on the previous models.

Quote:The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.
Which the red '13 also had, and which sold a lot better than the '14 Standard.

Quote:Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.
The '13 and '14 Standard tanks are no slimmer than the Deluxe tank. The extra capacity makes the Deluxe's tank taller, but no wider. The '17's tank is also just as slim as the '14's.

The '14 also is not faster than the '17, which makes a bit more power than the '14 Standard to offset the additional ten lbs, and, more importantly, handles significantly better as a result of its updated chassis and suspension. In the real world, superior handling equates to greater speed.
 
VLJ_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
That's not the question. The question is why you choose to insult most of your fellow forum members and their beloved rides as if the 14 STD model is somehow less of a bike because it is targeted toward a different buyer than yourself.

That buyer is one who likes to save money and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike. The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.

Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.

Okay in my rear view mirror.
I didn't insult anybody. I stated facts. The Deluxe clearly has more content than the Standard, which is why the Deluxe costed more and was more popular, despite its higher price tag.

Quote:That buyer is one who likes to save money
So when you say it, it's not insulting to Standard buyers, but when I say the exact same thing, it's insulting to them?

Alrighty then.

Quote:and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike.
Actually, no. The seamless, contoured tank with the brilliant paintwork on the '17 is almost universally regarded among non-owners as being better-looking than the tank on the previous models.

Quote:The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.
Which the red '13 also had, and which sold a lot better than the '14 Standard.

Quote:Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.
The '13 and '14 Standard tanks are no slimmer than the Deluxe tank. The extra capacity makes the Deluxe's tank taller, but no wider. The '17's tank is also just as slim as the '14's.

The '14 also is not faster than the '17, which makes a bit more power than the '14 Standard to offset the additional ten lbs, and, more importantly, handles significantly better as a result of its updated chassis and suspension. In the real world, superior handling equates to greater speed.
and
VLJ_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
That's not the question. The question is why you choose to insult most of your fellow forum members and their beloved rides as if the 14 STD model is somehow less of a bike because it is targeted toward a different buyer than yourself.

That buyer is one who likes to save money and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike. The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.

Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.

Okay in my rear view mirror.
I didn't insult anybody. I stated facts. The Deluxe clearly has more content than the Standard, which is why the Deluxe costed more and was more popular, despite its higher price tag.

Quote:That buyer is one who likes to save money
So when you say it, it's not insulting to Standard buyers, but when I say the exact same thing, it's insulting to them?

Alrighty then.

Quote:and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike.
Actually, no. The seamless, contoured tank with the brilliant paintwork on the '17 is almost universally regarded among non-owners as being better-looking than the tank on the previous models.

Quote:The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.
Which the red '13 also had, and which sold a lot better than the '14 Standard.

Quote:Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.
The '13 and '14 Standard tanks are no slimmer than the Deluxe tank. The extra capacity makes the Deluxe's tank taller, but no wider. The '17's tank is also just as slim as the '14's.

The '14 also is not faster than the '17, which makes a bit more power than the '14 Standard to offset the additional ten lbs, and, more importantly, handles significantly better as a result of its updated chassis and suspension. In the real world, superior handling equates to greater speed.
VLJ, I think many people have the perception that the DLX was more popular than the Standard, but I'll insist that we simply don't know without import numbers for '14, as I mentioned before in this thread. Same problem to compare '13 with '14 Standard. It could be the case that twice as many Stardards were imported than the DLX model--therefore, leftover '14 Standards. I'd really love to know, I like marketing strategies--I may be wrong, but the "blacked-out" look was really coming on strong after 2010 and I thought the '14 Standard was Honda's answer for that.

EDIT: After searching a bit, I found:this post from Cormanus, back in 2015:

RE: Total Sales Numbers
Apropos numbers manufactured, you could hazard a guess for the US market based on the US data in the Registry.

The highest VIN for a 2013 is 1785—so round it up to 1800; for the 2013 ABS it's 1069—say 1100; for the 2014 STD it's 2460—say 2500; and for the DLX it's 299—say 300.

That would mean 2900 bikes in 2013 and 2800 in 2014 just in the US.

If those numbers are correct--around 300 DLX imported to the U.S. versus some 2500 Standards--would that change things a bit? To me that explains why DLX are/were more in demand, but not that they sold better.


VLJ_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
I didn't insult anybody. I stated facts. The Deluxe clearly has more content than the Standard, which is why the Deluxe costed more and was more popular, despite its higher price tag.

Quote:That buyer is one who likes to save money
So when you say it, it's not insulting to Standard buyers, but when I say the exact same thing, it's insulting to them?

Alrighty then.

Quote:and/or enjoys the pearl black finish and mags and the slim, and in the opinion of most, the best looking tank on any bike.
Actually, no. The seamless, contoured tank with the brilliant paintwork on the '17 is almost universally regarded among non-owners as being better-looking than the tank on the previous models.

Quote:The same buyer who likes mounting and dismounting on the side without the hot pipe, duh, and enjoys the look of a bike that follows the tradition born of the 750F.
Which the red '13 also had, and which sold a lot better than the '14 Standard.

Quote:Slim and lighter and faster and does not care that beautiful tank holds less gas and even loves that it makes it slimmer than the red bikes. The DLX with a beautiful and less slim tank and hot pipes on both sides, that's okay because it is beautiful also, just in different ways and that's okay too.
The '13 and '14 Standard tanks are no slimmer than the Deluxe tank. The extra capacity makes the Deluxe's tank taller, but no wider. The '17's tank is also just as slim as the '14's.

The '14 also is not faster than the '17, which makes a bit more power than the '14 Standard to offset the additional ten lbs, and, more importantly, handles significantly better as a result of its updated chassis and suspension. In the real world, superior handling equates to greater speed.
RE: "almost universally regarded among non-owners"

I have to ask: on what basis do you make this claim? Personal conversations with non-CB1100 owners? A number of magazine articles and/or video reviewers that state that the '17 tank is better looking? The language you use feels (to me as I read) like dozens and dozens of non-CB1100 owners were asked. My brother (a non-CB1100 owner, poor thing) saw both my '14 Standard and the '17 EX I bought. His first question was "so do you like the new tank better?", his tone of voice made it clear he did not.

I know you personally have stated that all CB1100 tanks are "[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12322&pid=200709#pid200709]undeniably beautiful".

I started that poll. Of 55 members who voted (probably owners), 29% said they loved it. 12.7% said they hated it. Over 58% said either they weren't sure or that the '17 tank would grown on them. I see those numbers and note that about 71% of members here did not select "love it". I could use these numbers and consider your statement to say the following: "wow, 71% of CB1100 owners do not love the '17 tank (ownership bias?), yet non-CB1100 owners universally prefer the '17 tank. Strange!!"

Conclusion? non-CB1100 owners are wrong!...or pre-17 CB1100 owners are blinded by bias! ... or... ???

"...There isn't a bad design or paint scheme in the bunch. Really, this is akin to debating a preference for blondes, brunettes, or redheads? Sure, they're all different, but you can't go wrong with any of them". I think this is the comment we likely all agree on.
:thumbsup:
:cool:
 
pdedse, that's why I specified "non-owners." Our opinions here mean nothing. We're all biased. Non-owners have no reason to be biased, and, yes, nearly every last review of the '17 includes something about the improved look of the seamless tank.

That's not to say that the other two tanks aren't fantastic, because they are. And, for the record, I LOVE the black tank with the red pinstripe on the '14 Standard. Eric can vouch for how much I gushed over the look of his bike, especially the tank. In fact, I like the look of the black enough that I nearly bought Eric's bike brand new, except he beat me to the punch.

I'd be lying, though, if I said that I was going to buy it over the '17 for any reason other than the killer price. That was it. I was willing to take a pass on the bike I really wanted, the '17, only because the price for the '14 was going to be too low to pass up. Otherwise, seeing them parked side by side, there was no way I would have chosen the '14 Standard over the '17 EX if they had been the same price. The '17 just has too many gorgeous additional details, never mind the additions of ABS, a larger tank, a cooler exhaust sound, and much better suspension.
 
Cormanus_imp said:

That's funny, I just edited my previous post with that info while you were posting this...crazy!
VLJ_imp said:

I hear 'ya...I had the choice of buying a new '14 for around $6500, a very nice '13 with about 1500 miles on it for around $5500, or the '17 EX at 10k. But I already had owned a '14 and was intrigued enough by the '17 that I went for it, despite not wanting to deal with spokes. My plan is to make this bike last a good 10-15 years. By that time, its tank will be cool beyond description. In my poll I chose "it will grow on me" : )
 
Cormanus, numerous magazines reported that the '17 dyno'd a couple-few hp stronger than the '14 on top (88 rwhp vs 82-85rwhp for the previous models) and throughout the midrange, which supports Honda's claim of increased power from the new exhaust system. The difference isn't all that significant, obviously, although the difference in sound is significant. Then again, the weight savings of the single-pipe version vs the smaller dual pipes of the '17 also isn't significant, not on a 550-lb tugboat like the CB1100. NightRider talks about the '14 Standard being faster than the '17 due to the '14's slightly lower weight, which is laughable. The average CB1100 rider is so overweight and rides so sedately that a few additional lbs of exhaust weight are entirely irrelevant, and the superior suspension on the '17 more than makes up for the weight difference anyway. Anyone who wants to go sportriding on the CB1100 will go faster on the '17, simply due to its superior handling.
 
Lots of back and forth on here about different years etc...my 2013 is still the sharpest of the bunch :D... and the brakes don’t squeal :celebrate:
 
Has anyone ever conducted a poll of how overweight the average CB owner is? I take VLJs point that the 2014 standard is not likely any faster or slower than a 2017. Still, I suspect that Nightrider or anyone else could probably be dust me, if they wanted to, and I'm not even overweight. I didn't buy the bike to race it.

To Nightrider's and Cormanus' point: the 2013 standard had a MSRP of $9999, and the 2014 standard was $10399--$400 more. Which is to say, I don't think that by introducing a very limited number of DLX bikes in the states, this means that HONDA considered the 2014 standard now to be the economy or entry-level version. If anything, raising the price over 2013 suggests they anticipated at least the same level of demand. What buyers did or didn't do, and dealers did and didn't do when that demand wasn't there should not be confused with some imaginary new "economy" buyer. I'm with Ferret on this--if the 2014 standard were the only CB1100 the US ever got, I would have bought it and been happy I had the best bike available to me in this country. The fact that other CB models and years with other features some of us may value is a bonus, in terms of our choices. That fact that there were too many 2014s left over and the prices were slashed is a bonus, in terms of choice and value. I don't know why that would be perceived by anyone as a class issue.
 
Interesting thread. I am a fan of the blacked out look. As an owner of a black 2016 CB1100, I wished Honda had gone all the way with black pipes as well. In fact I am seriously considering this mod but have yet to find an image of a CB1100 with blacked out 4 into 1 headers and exhaust. That being said, I would have bought the bike in any color - well, maybe not pink.

The CB1100 with it’s style and look of a by-gone era that was reminisent to me anyway of a more optimistic and happy time for the working class draws heart- felt smiles everywhere I go. Now, a darker, more pessimistic time calls for the CB1100 to dawn a dark hoody and a snarl in place of it’s naive smile. Not to mention that I have become lazy and do not want to spend my time polishing those chrome headers.
 
Back
Top