2017 CB1100 EX First Ride Review

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewhat quickly, but very cautiously. Those roads are so bumpy, and wet and shaded in so many places, that I always approach them with a healthy degree of caution.

Yeah, well, we'll see what's what, up on Mosquito Ridge, I thought, slipping my gloves back on, but not before having to tell TWO different geezers that my bike is, in fact, brand new, a 2017 model, which they simply couldn't believe.

So far, in only two stops over my first two days, I've already had three Geezer Approval moments. Crazy.

When Eric and I did our little ride, we swapped bikes a couple of times over the course of the day. For the Hwy 49/Foresthill Rd/Mosquito Ridge portion I was back on the XSR, and he was back on his '14 Standard. Eric had done a great job of keeping pace with me up in the foothills, but once we hit the road that follows the river off of Hwy 49 I checked out on him, and understandably so. That is a very bumpy, somewhat intimidating road. Again, even on my XSR I approach that one with caution, but as I was riding my new CB on that same stretch of road I was freaking out again, because the CB was making it feel like a walk in the park! Instead of my usual Hold On And Pray Nothing Bad Happens pucker factor, I zipped through there with as little stress as everyone zips through the super-fast, smooth sweepers of Foresthill Rd, which makes all riders feel like heroes.

Eric loved that road. He lagged behind on the river road, but tore it up on Foresthill Rd.

The '17 CB loved both roads equally. I couldn't believe it.

By the time I reached Mosquito Ridge, I was almost po'd. I was doubting myself. I was doubting everything I thought I knew to be true. I was doubting all you marmots, too.

Something wasn't right, and Mosquito Ridge was going to set things to rights.

Uhhh...no.

By the time I reached The Reading Tree, I was completely flummoxed. I immediately checked the chicken strips on my tires.

Something is definitely wrong here. Either I totally suck, or everyone has been lying like dogs about this bike. Or both.

My rear tire was worn past the edge. I'd basically ridden as fast as I ride any other bike up there. I say "basically" because the XSR does launch out of corners a whole lot faster than the CB, and it's much more flickable. Still, Mosquito Ridge doesn't demand all that much flickability. It's more about stability, acceleration, braking, and corner entry/mid-corner confidence.

That last one is key. Having confidence in the throttle, and confidence to stay on the gas because you trust the handling, those things pay larger dividends than merely being able to toss a lighter, faster bike around more easily.

The CB's braking/suspension/power delivery/chassis characteristics somehow combine to imbue the bike with the ability to be ridden just as fast as sportier bikes, only easier, with less stress, less effort, and less reliance on sheer acceleration.

Yes, the XSR is ultimately faster up there, but not when ridden with equal effort. In order to go faster you're going to have to ride it more aggressively, with a higher degree of commitment.

Still, come on, what about that other thing everyone says about the CB's handling? We see it in every video, and it's mentioned in every review.

Namely, the lack of cornering clearance. Sure, everyone says the CB is wonderfully smooth and stable, albeit a bit lacking in right-now forward thrust, but it just has no ground clearance. Sparks fly like a Chinese New Year, the moment you lean the bike past dead-upright.

Seriously, how many videos have we seen of people sending off a shower of sparks merely from puttering around a corner at 40 mph, with no more than a very moderate lean angle? Every major review describes the same thing. I see pictures of the post-ride tires, and they aren't even worn to the edge, and still the thing was shooting sparks like crazy.

So how come I never touched down anything, not even on Mosquito Ridge? I wasn't going at a race pace or whatever, but I was going fast enough to vaporize every other bike I encountered up there, including two Go Pro-bedecked guys on a ZX-6R and GSX-R750, and a few dual-sport hooligans.

My rear tire has no more acreage to offer. I would think that if I was going to drag something, even just a footpeg feeler, it should have happened up there, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing touched, and I was going as fast as I care to go. On the way back from the bridge up to Foresthill, I went for it as aggressively as I did with the XSR the other day. The thing actually handled better than the XSR, despite feeling so much heavier on the brakes.

Oh, and those brakes? They're every bit as awesome as the fueling, the suspension, and the overall handling. For street riding there is zero need to do steel lines and HH pads.

The balance between all these systems is truly dialed. It's been said in other reviews that the CB1100 is the first liter bike that one could recommend to a beginning rider looking to take his DMV test, and I couldn't agree more. I can't decide which is the true cornerstone of this easygoing marvel, the fueling/throttle response, or the magical suspension?

Whatever it is, Honda has managed to create the most confidence-inspiring piece of moto-engineering I've ever experienced.

Bewildered yet satisfied, eventually I slowed down again, returning to my regularly scheduled testing program. I didn't set out to prove to myself that the CB could hang with the XSR in a sporting environment, yet hang with it she absolutely will, unless the XSR rider is serious about twisting the throttle and slamming the bike into corners hard on the brakes.

As I cruised back down smooth, fast Foresthill Rd, I took stock of what was really going on with the bike, and the ride. To wit, my stunningly beautiful red retro does everything I will ever ask of my motorcycle, and she does most of it better than anything else I could have chosen. We're talking strictly function here, too, never mind all the glorious intangibles she brings to the table.

Compared to any other bike, I know I would rather stare out the window and admire her...my very own bike...my shimmering red princess, decked out in all her shiny chrome finery. Compared to just about any other bike, regardless of price, I know I feel more pride of ownership in my new, very special Honda.

And now I know that compared to just about any other bike, I would also rather ride my beautiful red slice of perfection, and it basically won't matter what sort of ride is on the agenda. She handles it all with equal aplomb, all the while displaying a timeless grace and stately bearing that nothing else in the current market can match.

So, lets's go the scorecard, shall we?

Motor: Absolutely nails the relaxed, effortless vibe Honda was shooting for with this project. I won't call the motor perfect because while it is surprisingly and satisfyingly fast once the tach clears 5K, a bit more immediate thrust would still be welcome, especially since it would shut up the Z900RS people. Also, that slight bit of vibration between 3,500-4,900 RPM happens to reside smack-dab in the effective midrange, meaning higher freeway speeds and more aggressive backroads tomfoolery.

Score: 8.5

Transmission: It's even better than the XSR's; as slick and unobtrusive as any gearbox I've ever used, including the GSX-R's. The new Slipper Assist Clutch works. It's immediately noticeable, compared to the much heavier lever-pull and slower, clunkier downshifts of the '14. I would have no qualms with using this six-speed at the track.

Score: 10

Chassis: On the one hand, it's flawless. It looks and fits exactly as it should, and behaves better than it has any logical right. The handling is nigh-on-exemplary. It's downright shocking, really. Still, as ideal as that heavy chassis is for highway work, two-up riding, and basic All-Around Goodness, lighter remains better, and she would handle even better in most regards were she carrying fewer lbs.

Score: 9.0

Suspension: I can't imagine how a compromised-by-nature OEM dual-shock/nearly non-adjustable fork setup could possibly work any better. This is the quintessential Firm Yet Plush ideal that everyone wants, every manufacturer promises, and almost nothing else delivers.

Score: 10

Brakes: Nothing impressive about the look or the specs, but when it comes to delivering the right formula for the street, Honda just seems to know what they're doing. These brakes strike an ideal balance with the suspension, throttle response, and chassis. They're sharp, but not overly so; easy to use, but fully up to the task. For this application, again, I don't know how they could work any better. I'll deduct a point strictly for their lack of radial-mounted eye candy.

Score: 9.0

Instruments: Prettiest, classiest, most easy-to-use, legible instruments imaginable. Everything you need, no superfluous nonsense. In bright sunlight I can still read them. At night they aren't too bright, and they're gorgeous. Quality appearance, too. The only flaw, such as it is, is that the tiny buttons are difficult to control with heavy gloves on, plus you have to lean forward and peer down to use them. Bar-mounted controls would be easier to use, but they wouldn't fit the retro ethos.

Score: 9.0

Lights: That LED headlight looks amazing and works even better. The high beam is as good as a car's high beam. The rear LED tail light is stunning. The period-correct turnsignals finish the look. Kudos for not going the Kawi route there, with slimline, aftermarket-looking items. I love how those amber turnsignals frame my instruments at night.

Score: 10

Comfort: The ergos are perfect for my 5'8", 165 lbs, 29"-inseam shoddy excuse for a body. I flat-foot the bike, which I've never been able to do with any other bike I've owned. The windblast is nonexistent. The seat is as cushy as I expect to feel from any OEM bench seat, and because it's a bench seat I can move around on it, which is a very good thing. The motor is smooth, but it does have that one vibey patch in the midrange.

Score: 9.5

Accoutrements: Bungee hooks galore, a grab rail, a centerstand, a real seat, a trip computer, chrome everything, gorgeous spoked wheels. No standard heated grips, no traction control, no right-angle valve stems, no multi-year warranty, the tool kit is a joke, and those beautiful wheels require the use of inner tubes.

Score: 8.0

Style: Fans of the various model years can debate the relative merits of their favorites, but just about everyone with two functioning eyeballs and a heart that pumps moto-blood agrees that the CB1100 is easily one of the most attractive pieces on the market, and the most authentic of the current retros, as well. The '17 EX ups the ante with the extra bling and even higher degree of finish detail.

Score: 10

Value: Good luck finding anything anywhere with superior build quality, and this one promises to be as long-term reliable as they come. The bike is viewed by most people as overpriced at its $12,199 msrp, and the resale value has never been strong for the CB, with the possible exception of the '14 Deluxe. Honda has yet to announce whether there will be an '18 model brought to the U.S.. If there is no '18, then this '17 EX should hold its value as well as the '14 Deluxe does.

Score: 8.5

Pride of Ownership: When one gets right down to it, this is the primary reason most people buy pricey motorcycles, unless we're talking about function-first supersport and ADV machines. In this highly competitive niche of retro style, I can't think of another product from any other maker that can touch the CB for pride of ownership, with the possible exception of the R-Nine-T, which really isn't a true retro. Industry studies reveal that the long-term reliability of a given motorcycle isn't of great concern to prospective buyers, but I would argue that in the case of the CB1100 its reputation for axe-handle simplicity and problem-free ownership is a major point of pride for its owners. CB owners feel they bought a very high-quality product, and a unique one, at that.

Score: 10

I would also include a category for Fun Factor, except that such a thing is simply too hard to define. Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a bike. Some, like mickey, find fun in pounding away the miles with metronomic consistency, and their bike had better be able to answer the call without complaint each and every day. Others require "character" in their rides, which can mean literally anything to anyone.

To me, this CB1100 EX is a near-perfect streetbike. Everything about it tells me that its designers had the right idea as to what would make for the ideal real-world motorcycle, while also pushing all the most important Lust Buttons.

I know I'm keeping mine, for good. When even a bike's supposed flaws are actually benefits, I know I've landed on something truly special.
 
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write that review, VLJ. I’m pleased your initial joy hasn’t been dampened by first serious exposure.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, the thing I neglected to mention there is how thoroughly successful the bike is at doing the main thing I want it to do: be fun and satisfying at lower speeds, which is the whole point for me in grabbing a retro. I was so blown away by how well the thing goes fast that I failed to mention how ideal it is at normal street speeds.

It's the first bike I've ever ridden that lulled me into a relaxed, take-it-easy feeling. I've ridden countless cruisers and other slow, non-sporty bikes, and they've always bored me. During parts of the foothills portion of this ride today, though, I was in full-on mickey Mode, just tooling along at 55-60 mph on picture-postcard country roads, enjoying the smooth hum of the motor, the plush ride, and the beautiful scenery.

I don't do that. I've never done that. I want to do that, and there I was, doing it, and enjoying it.

Twenty minutes later, I was trying and failing to scrape something, delighting in the fact that this one bike excels at both things.
 
Well now, that was a ride review.

VLJ_imp said:
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewhat quickly, but very cautiously. Those roads are so bumpy, and wet and shaded in so many places, that I always approach them with a healthy degree of caution.

Yeah, well, we'll see what's what, up on Mosquito Ridge, I thought, slipping my gloves back on, but not before having to tell TWO different geezers that my bike is, in fact, brand new, a 2017 model, which they simply couldn't believe.

So far, in only two stops over my first two days, I've already had three Geezer Approval moments. Crazy.

When Eric and I did our little ride, we swapped bikes a couple of times over the course of the day. For the Hwy 49/Foresthill Rd/Mosquito Ridge portion I was back on the XSR, and he was back on his '14 Standard. Eric had done a great job of keeping pace with me up in the foothills, but once we hit the road that follows the river off of Hwy 49 I checked out on him, and understandably so. That is a very bumpy, somewhat intimidating road. Again, even on my XSR I approach that one with caution, but as I was riding my new CB on that same stretch of road I was freaking out again, because the CB was making it feel like a walk in the park! Instead of my usual Hold On And Pray Nothing Bad Happens pucker factor, I zipped through there with as little stress as everyone zips through the super-fast, smooth sweepers of Foresthill Rd, which makes all riders feel like heroes.

Eric loved that road. He lagged behind on the river road, but tore it up on Foresthill Rd.

The '17 CB loved both roads equally. I couldn't believe it.

By the time I reached Mosquito Ridge, I was almost po'd. I was doubting myself. I was doubting everything I thought I knew to be true. I was doubting all you marmots, too.

Something wasn't right, and Mosquito Ridge was going to set things to rights.

Uhhh...no.

By the time I reached The Reading Tree, I was completely flummoxed. I immediately checked the chicken strips on my tires.

Something is definitely wrong here. Either I totally suck, or everyone has been lying like dogs about this bike. Or both.

My rear tire was worn past the edge. I'd basically ridden as fast as I ride any other bike up there. I say "basically" because the XSR does launch out of corners a whole lot faster than the CB, and it's much more flickable. Still, Mosquito Ridge doesn't demand all that much flickability. It's more about stability, acceleration, braking, and corner entry/mid-corner confidence.

That last one is key. Having confidence in the throttle, and confidence to stay on the gas because you trust the handling, those things pay larger dividends than merely being able to toss a lighter, faster bike around more easily.

The CB's braking/suspension/power delivery/chassis characteristics somehow combine to imbue the bike with the ability to be ridden just as fast as sportier bikes, only easier, with less stress, less effort, and less reliance on sheer acceleration.

Yes, the XSR is ultimately faster up there, but not when ridden with equal effort. In order to go faster you're going to have to ride it more aggressively, with a higher degree of commitment.

Still, come on, what about that other thing everyone says about the CB's handling? We see it in every video, and it's mentioned in every review.

Namely, the lack of cornering clearance. Sure, everyone says the CB is wonderfully smooth and stable, albeit a bit lacking in right-now forward thrust, but it just has no ground clearance. Sparks fly like a Chinese New Year, the moment you lean the bike past dead-upright.

Seriously, how many videos have we seen of people sending off a shower of sparks merely from puttering around a corner at 40 mph, with no more than a very moderate lean angle? Every major review describes the same thing. I see pictures of the post-ride tires, and they aren't even worn to the edge, and still the thing was shooting sparks like crazy.

So how come I never touched down anything, not even on Mosquito Ridge? I wasn't going at a race pace or whatever, but I was going fast enough to vaporize every other bike I encountered up there, including two Go Pro-bedecked guys on a ZX-6R and GSX-R750, and a few dual-sport hooligans.

My rear tire has no more acreage to offer. I would think that if I was going to drag something, even just a footpeg feeler, it should have happened up there, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing touched, and I was going as fast as I care to go. On the way back from the bridge up to Foresthill, I went for it as aggressively as I did with the XSR the other day. The thing actually handled better than the XSR, despite feeling so much heavier on the brakes.

Oh, and those brakes? They're every bit as awesome as the fueling, the suspension, and the overall handling. For street riding there is zero need to do steel lines and HH pads.

The balance between all these systems is truly dialed. It's been said in other reviews that the CB1100 is the first liter bike that one could recommend to a beginning rider looking to take his DMV test, and I couldn't agree more. I can't decide which is the true cornerstone of this easygoing marvel, the fueling/throttle response, or the magical suspension?

Whatever it is, Honda has managed to create the most confidence-inspiring piece of moto-engineering I've ever experienced.

Bewildered yet satisfied, eventually I slowed down again, returning to my regularly scheduled testing program. I didn't set out to prove to myself that the CB could hang with the XSR in a sporting environment, yet hang with it she absolutely will, unless the XSR rider is serious about twisting the throttle and slamming the bike into corners hard on the brakes.

As I cruised back down smooth, fast Foresthill Rd, I took stock of what was really going on with the bike, and the ride. To wit, my stunningly beautiful red retro does everything I will ever ask of my motorcycle, and she does most of it better than anything else I could have chosen. We're talking strictly function here, too, never mind all the glorious intangibles she brings to the table.

Compared to any other bike, I know I would rather stare out the window and admire her...my very own bike...my shimmering red princess, decked out in all her shiny chrome finery. Compared to just about any other bike, regardless of price, I know I feel more pride of ownership in my new, very special Honda.

And now I know that compared to just about any other bike, I would also rather ride my beautiful red slice of perfection, and it basically won't matter what sort of ride is on the agenda. She handles it all with equal aplomb, all the while displaying a timeless grace and stately bearing that nothing else in the current market can match.

So, lets's go the scorecard, shall we?

Motor: Absolutely nails the relaxed, effortless vibe Honda was shooting for with this project. I won't call the motor perfect because while it is surprisingly and satisfyingly fast once the tach clears 5K, a bit more immediate thrust would still be welcome, especially since it would shut up the Z900RS people. Also, that slight bit of vibration between 3,500-4,900 RPM happens to reside smack-dab in the effective midrange, meaning higher freeway speeds and more aggressive backroads tomfoolery.

Score: 8.5

Transmission: It's even better than the XSR's; as slick and unobtrusive as any gearbox I've ever used, including the GSX-R's. The new Slipper Assist Clutch works. It's immediately noticeable, compared to the much heavier lever-pull and slower, clunkier downshifts of the '14. I would have no qualms with using this six-speed at the track.

Score: 10

Chassis: On the one hand, it's flawless. It looks and fits exactly as it should, and behaves better than it has any logical right. The handling is nigh-on-exemplary. It's downright shocking, really. Still, as ideal as that heavy chassis is for highway work, two-up riding, and basic All-Around Goodness, lighter remains better, and she would handle even better in most regards were she carrying fewer lbs.

Score: 9.0

Suspension: I can't imagine how a compromised-by-nature OEM dual-shock/nearly non-adjustable fork setup could possibly work any better. This is the quintessential Firm Yet Plush ideal that everyone wants, every manufacturer promises, and almost nothing else delivers.

Score: 10

Brakes: Nothing impressive about the look or the specs, but when it comes to delivering the right formula for the street, Honda just seems to know what they're doing. These brakes strike an ideal balance with the suspension, throttle response, and chassis. They're sharp, but not overly so; easy to use, but fully up to the task. For this application, again, I don't know how they could work any better. I'll deduct a point strictly for their lack of radial-mounted eye candy.

Score: 9.0

Instruments: Prettiest, classiest, most easy-to-use, legible instruments imaginable. Everything you need, no superfluous nonsense. In bright sunlight I can still read them. At night they aren't too bright, and they're gorgeous. Quality appearance, too. The only flaw, such as it is, is that the tiny buttons are difficult to control with heavy gloves on, plus you have to lean forward and peer down to use them. Bar-mounted controls would be easier to use, but they wouldn't fit the retro ethos.

Score: 9.0

Lights: That LED headlight looks amazing and works even better. The high beam is as good as a car's high beam. The rear LED tail light is stunning. The period-correct turnsignals finish the look. Kudos for not going the Kawi route there, with slimline, aftermarket-looking items. I love how those amber turnsignals frame my instruments at night.

Score: 10

Comfort: The ergos are perfect for my 5'8", 165 lbs, 29"-inseam shoddy excuse for a body. I flat-foot the bike, which I've never been able to do with any other bike I've owned. The windblast is nonexistent. The seat is as cushy as I expect to feel from any OEM bench seat, and because it's a bench seat I can move around on it, which is a very good thing. The motor is smooth, but it does have that one vibey patch in the midrange.

Score: 9.5

Accoutrements: Bungee hooks galore, a grab rail, a centerstand, a real seat, a trip computer, chrome everything, gorgeous spoked wheels. No standard heated grips, no traction control, no right-angle valve stems, no multi-year warranty, the tool kit is a joke, and those beautiful wheels require the use of inner tubes.

Score: 8.0

Style: Fans of the various model years can debate the relative merits of their favorites, but just about everyone with two functioning eyeballs and a heart that pumps moto-blood agrees that the CB1100 is easily one of the most attractive pieces on the market, and the most authentic of the current retros, as well. The '17 EX ups the ante with the extra bling and even higher degree of finish detail.

Score: 10

Value: Good luck finding anything anywhere with superior build quality, and this one promises to be as long-term reliable as they come. The bike is viewed by most people as overpriced at its $12,199 msrp, and the resale value has never been strong for the CB, with the possible exception of the '14 Deluxe. Honda has yet to announce whether there will be an '18 model brought to the U.S.. If there is no '18, then this '17 EX should hold its value as well as the '14 Deluxe does.

Score: 8.5

Pride of Ownership: When one gets right down to it, this is the primary reason most people buy pricey motorcycles, unless we're talking about function-first supersport and ADV machines. In this highly competitive niche of retro style, I can't think of another product from any other maker that can touch the CB for pride of ownership, with the possible exception of the R-Nine-T, which really isn't a true retro. Industry studies reveal that the long-term reliability of a given motorcycle isn't of great concern to prospective buyers, but I would argue that in the case of the CB1100 its reputation for axe-handle simplicity and problem-free ownership is a major point of pride for its owners. CB owners feel they bought a very high-quality product, and a unique one, at that.

Score: 10

I would also include a category for Fun Factor, except that such a thing is simply too hard to define. Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a bike. Some, like mickey, find fun in pounding away the miles with metronomic consistency, and their bike had better be able to answer the call without complaint each and every day. Others require "character" in their rides, which can mean literally anything to anyone.

To me, this CB1100 EX is a near-perfect streetbike. Everything about it tells me that its designers had the right idea as to what would make for the ideal real-world motorcycle, while also pushing all the most important Lust Buttons.

I know I'm keeping mine, for good. When even a bike's supposed flaws are actually benefits, I know I've landed on something truly special.
Nice.

VLJ_imp said:
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewhat quickly, but very cautiously. Those roads are so bumpy, and wet and shaded in so many places, that I always approach them with a healthy degree of caution.

Yeah, well, we'll see what's what, up on Mosquito Ridge, I thought, slipping my gloves back on, but not before having to tell TWO different geezers that my bike is, in fact, brand new, a 2017 model, which they simply couldn't believe.

So far, in only two stops over my first two days, I've already had three Geezer Approval moments. Crazy.

When Eric and I did our little ride, we swapped bikes a couple of times over the course of the day. For the Hwy 49/Foresthill Rd/Mosquito Ridge portion I was back on the XSR, and he was back on his '14 Standard. Eric had done a great job of keeping pace with me up in the foothills, but once we hit the road that follows the river off of Hwy 49 I checked out on him, and understandably so. That is a very bumpy, somewhat intimidating road. Again, even on my XSR I approach that one with caution, but as I was riding my new CB on that same stretch of road I was freaking out again, because the CB was making it feel like a walk in the park! Instead of my usual Hold On And Pray Nothing Bad Happens pucker factor, I zipped through there with as little stress as everyone zips through the super-fast, smooth sweepers of Foresthill Rd, which makes all riders feel like heroes.

Eric loved that road. He lagged behind on the river road, but tore it up on Foresthill Rd.

The '17 CB loved both roads equally. I couldn't believe it.

By the time I reached Mosquito Ridge, I was almost po'd. I was doubting myself. I was doubting everything I thought I knew to be true. I was doubting all you marmots, too.

Something wasn't right, and Mosquito Ridge was going to set things to rights.

Uhhh...no.

By the time I reached The Reading Tree, I was completely flummoxed. I immediately checked the chicken strips on my tires.

Something is definitely wrong here. Either I totally suck, or everyone has been lying like dogs about this bike. Or both.

My rear tire was worn past the edge. I'd basically ridden as fast as I ride any other bike up there. I say "basically" because the XSR does launch out of corners a whole lot faster than the CB, and it's much more flickable. Still, Mosquito Ridge doesn't demand all that much flickability. It's more about stability, acceleration, braking, and corner entry/mid-corner confidence.

That last one is key. Having confidence in the throttle, and confidence to stay on the gas because you trust the handling, those things pay larger dividends than merely being able to toss a lighter, faster bike around more easily.

The CB's braking/suspension/power delivery/chassis characteristics somehow combine to imbue the bike with the ability to be ridden just as fast as sportier bikes, only easier, with less stress, less effort, and less reliance on sheer acceleration.

Yes, the XSR is ultimately faster up there, but not when ridden with equal effort. In order to go faster you're going to have to ride it more aggressively, with a higher degree of commitment.

Still, come on, what about that other thing everyone says about the CB's handling? We see it in every video, and it's mentioned in every review.

Namely, the lack of cornering clearance. Sure, everyone says the CB is wonderfully smooth and stable, albeit a bit lacking in right-now forward thrust, but it just has no ground clearance. Sparks fly like a Chinese New Year, the moment you lean the bike past dead-upright.

Seriously, how many videos have we seen of people sending off a shower of sparks merely from puttering around a corner at 40 mph, with no more than a very moderate lean angle? Every major review describes the same thing. I see pictures of the post-ride tires, and they aren't even worn to the edge, and still the thing was shooting sparks like crazy.

So how come I never touched down anything, not even on Mosquito Ridge? I wasn't going at a race pace or whatever, but I was going fast enough to vaporize every other bike I encountered up there, including two Go Pro-bedecked guys on a ZX-6R and GSX-R750, and a few dual-sport hooligans.

My rear tire has no more acreage to offer. I would think that if I was going to drag something, even just a footpeg feeler, it should have happened up there, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing touched, and I was going as fast as I care to go. On the way back from the bridge up to Foresthill, I went for it as aggressively as I did with the XSR the other day. The thing actually handled better than the XSR, despite feeling so much heavier on the brakes.

Oh, and those brakes? They're every bit as awesome as the fueling, the suspension, and the overall handling. For street riding there is zero need to do steel lines and HH pads.

The balance between all these systems is truly dialed. It's been said in other reviews that the CB1100 is the first liter bike that one could recommend to a beginning rider looking to take his DMV test, and I couldn't agree more. I can't decide which is the true cornerstone of this easygoing marvel, the fueling/throttle response, or the magical suspension?

Whatever it is, Honda has managed to create the most confidence-inspiring piece of moto-engineering I've ever experienced.

Bewildered yet satisfied, eventually I slowed down again, returning to my regularly scheduled testing program. I didn't set out to prove to myself that the CB could hang with the XSR in a sporting environment, yet hang with it she absolutely will, unless the XSR rider is serious about twisting the throttle and slamming the bike into corners hard on the brakes.

As I cruised back down smooth, fast Foresthill Rd, I took stock of what was really going on with the bike, and the ride. To wit, my stunningly beautiful red retro does everything I will ever ask of my motorcycle, and she does most of it better than anything else I could have chosen. We're talking strictly function here, too, never mind all the glorious intangibles she brings to the table.

Compared to any other bike, I know I would rather stare out the window and admire her...my very own bike...my shimmering red princess, decked out in all her shiny chrome finery. Compared to just about any other bike, regardless of price, I know I feel more pride of ownership in my new, very special Honda.

And now I know that compared to just about any other bike, I would also rather ride my beautiful red slice of perfection, and it basically won't matter what sort of ride is on the agenda. She handles it all with equal aplomb, all the while displaying a timeless grace and stately bearing that nothing else in the current market can match.

So, lets's go the scorecard, shall we?

Motor: Absolutely nails the relaxed, effortless vibe Honda was shooting for with this project. I won't call the motor perfect because while it is surprisingly and satisfyingly fast once the tach clears 5K, a bit more immediate thrust would still be welcome, especially since it would shut up the Z900RS people. Also, that slight bit of vibration between 3,500-4,900 RPM happens to reside smack-dab in the effective midrange, meaning higher freeway speeds and more aggressive backroads tomfoolery.

Score: 8.5

Transmission: It's even better than the XSR's; as slick and unobtrusive as any gearbox I've ever used, including the GSX-R's. The new Slipper Assist Clutch works. It's immediately noticeable, compared to the much heavier lever-pull and slower, clunkier downshifts of the '14. I would have no qualms with using this six-speed at the track.

Score: 10

Chassis: On the one hand, it's flawless. It looks and fits exactly as it should, and behaves better than it has any logical right. The handling is nigh-on-exemplary. It's downright shocking, really. Still, as ideal as that heavy chassis is for highway work, two-up riding, and basic All-Around Goodness, lighter remains better, and she would handle even better in most regards were she carrying fewer lbs.

Score: 9.0

Suspension: I can't imagine how a compromised-by-nature OEM dual-shock/nearly non-adjustable fork setup could possibly work any better. This is the quintessential Firm Yet Plush ideal that everyone wants, every manufacturer promises, and almost nothing else delivers.

Score: 10

Brakes: Nothing impressive about the look or the specs, but when it comes to delivering the right formula for the street, Honda just seems to know what they're doing. These brakes strike an ideal balance with the suspension, throttle response, and chassis. They're sharp, but not overly so; easy to use, but fully up to the task. For this application, again, I don't know how they could work any better. I'll deduct a point strictly for their lack of radial-mounted eye candy.

Score: 9.0

Instruments: Prettiest, classiest, most easy-to-use, legible instruments imaginable. Everything you need, no superfluous nonsense. In bright sunlight I can still read them. At night they aren't too bright, and they're gorgeous. Quality appearance, too. The only flaw, such as it is, is that the tiny buttons are difficult to control with heavy gloves on, plus you have to lean forward and peer down to use them. Bar-mounted controls would be easier to use, but they wouldn't fit the retro ethos.

Score: 9.0

Lights: That LED headlight looks amazing and works even better. The high beam is as good as a car's high beam. The rear LED tail light is stunning. The period-correct turnsignals finish the look. Kudos for not going the Kawi route there, with slimline, aftermarket-looking items. I love how those amber turnsignals frame my instruments at night.

Score: 10

Comfort: The ergos are perfect for my 5'8", 165 lbs, 29"-inseam shoddy excuse for a body. I flat-foot the bike, which I've never been able to do with any other bike I've owned. The windblast is nonexistent. The seat is as cushy as I expect to feel from any OEM bench seat, and because it's a bench seat I can move around on it, which is a very good thing. The motor is smooth, but it does have that one vibey patch in the midrange.

Score: 9.5

Accoutrements: Bungee hooks galore, a grab rail, a centerstand, a real seat, a trip computer, chrome everything, gorgeous spoked wheels. No standard heated grips, no traction control, no right-angle valve stems, no multi-year warranty, the tool kit is a joke, and those beautiful wheels require the use of inner tubes.

Score: 8.0

Style: Fans of the various model years can debate the relative merits of their favorites, but just about everyone with two functioning eyeballs and a heart that pumps moto-blood agrees that the CB1100 is easily one of the most attractive pieces on the market, and the most authentic of the current retros, as well. The '17 EX ups the ante with the extra bling and even higher degree of finish detail.

Score: 10

Value: Good luck finding anything anywhere with superior build quality, and this one promises to be as long-term reliable as they come. The bike is viewed by most people as overpriced at its $12,199 msrp, and the resale value has never been strong for the CB, with the possible exception of the '14 Deluxe. Honda has yet to announce whether there will be an '18 model brought to the U.S.. If there is no '18, then this '17 EX should hold its value as well as the '14 Deluxe does.

Score: 8.5

Pride of Ownership: When one gets right down to it, this is the primary reason most people buy pricey motorcycles, unless we're talking about function-first supersport and ADV machines. In this highly competitive niche of retro style, I can't think of another product from any other maker that can touch the CB for pride of ownership, with the possible exception of the R-Nine-T, which really isn't a true retro. Industry studies reveal that the long-term reliability of a given motorcycle isn't of great concern to prospective buyers, but I would argue that in the case of the CB1100 its reputation for axe-handle simplicity and problem-free ownership is a major point of pride for its owners. CB owners feel they bought a very high-quality product, and a unique one, at that.

Score: 10

I would also include a category for Fun Factor, except that such a thing is simply too hard to define. Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a bike. Some, like mickey, find fun in pounding away the miles with metronomic consistency, and their bike had better be able to answer the call without complaint each and every day. Others require "character" in their rides, which can mean literally anything to anyone.

To me, this CB1100 EX is a near-perfect streetbike. Everything about it tells me that its designers had the right idea as to what would make for the ideal real-world motorcycle, while also pushing all the most important Lust Buttons.

I know I'm keeping mine, for good. When even a bike's supposed flaws are actually benefits, I know I've landed on something truly special.
Well, I hope they were different, otherwise, what, the same geezer asked you twice?
:):)

VLJ_imp said:
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewhat quickly, but very cautiously. Those roads are so bumpy, and wet and shaded in so many places, that I always approach them with a healthy degree of caution.

Yeah, well, we'll see what's what, up on Mosquito Ridge, I thought, slipping my gloves back on, but not before having to tell TWO different geezers that my bike is, in fact, brand new, a 2017 model, which they simply couldn't believe.

So far, in only two stops over my first two days, I've already had three Geezer Approval moments. Crazy.

When Eric and I did our little ride, we swapped bikes a couple of times over the course of the day. For the Hwy 49/Foresthill Rd/Mosquito Ridge portion I was back on the XSR, and he was back on his '14 Standard. Eric had done a great job of keeping pace with me up in the foothills, but once we hit the road that follows the river off of Hwy 49 I checked out on him, and understandably so. That is a very bumpy, somewhat intimidating road. Again, even on my XSR I approach that one with caution, but as I was riding my new CB on that same stretch of road I was freaking out again, because the CB was making it feel like a walk in the park! Instead of my usual Hold On And Pray Nothing Bad Happens pucker factor, I zipped through there with as little stress as everyone zips through the super-fast, smooth sweepers of Foresthill Rd, which makes all riders feel like heroes.

Eric loved that road. He lagged behind on the river road, but tore it up on Foresthill Rd.

The '17 CB loved both roads equally. I couldn't believe it.

By the time I reached Mosquito Ridge, I was almost po'd. I was doubting myself. I was doubting everything I thought I knew to be true. I was doubting all you marmots, too.

Something wasn't right, and Mosquito Ridge was going to set things to rights.

Uhhh...no.

By the time I reached The Reading Tree, I was completely flummoxed. I immediately checked the chicken strips on my tires.

Something is definitely wrong here. Either I totally suck, or everyone has been lying like dogs about this bike. Or both.

My rear tire was worn past the edge. I'd basically ridden as fast as I ride any other bike up there. I say "basically" because the XSR does launch out of corners a whole lot faster than the CB, and it's much more flickable. Still, Mosquito Ridge doesn't demand all that much flickability. It's more about stability, acceleration, braking, and corner entry/mid-corner confidence.

That last one is key. Having confidence in the throttle, and confidence to stay on the gas because you trust the handling, those things pay larger dividends than merely being able to toss a lighter, faster bike around more easily.

The CB's braking/suspension/power delivery/chassis characteristics somehow combine to imbue the bike with the ability to be ridden just as fast as sportier bikes, only easier, with less stress, less effort, and less reliance on sheer acceleration.

Yes, the XSR is ultimately faster up there, but not when ridden with equal effort. In order to go faster you're going to have to ride it more aggressively, with a higher degree of commitment.

Still, come on, what about that other thing everyone says about the CB's handling? We see it in every video, and it's mentioned in every review.

Namely, the lack of cornering clearance. Sure, everyone says the CB is wonderfully smooth and stable, albeit a bit lacking in right-now forward thrust, but it just has no ground clearance. Sparks fly like a Chinese New Year, the moment you lean the bike past dead-upright.

Seriously, how many videos have we seen of people sending off a shower of sparks merely from puttering around a corner at 40 mph, with no more than a very moderate lean angle? Every major review describes the same thing. I see pictures of the post-ride tires, and they aren't even worn to the edge, and still the thing was shooting sparks like crazy.

So how come I never touched down anything, not even on Mosquito Ridge? I wasn't going at a race pace or whatever, but I was going fast enough to vaporize every other bike I encountered up there, including two Go Pro-bedecked guys on a ZX-6R and GSX-R750, and a few dual-sport hooligans.

My rear tire has no more acreage to offer. I would think that if I was going to drag something, even just a footpeg feeler, it should have happened up there, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing touched, and I was going as fast as I care to go. On the way back from the bridge up to Foresthill, I went for it as aggressively as I did with the XSR the other day. The thing actually handled better than the XSR, despite feeling so much heavier on the brakes.

Oh, and those brakes? They're every bit as awesome as the fueling, the suspension, and the overall handling. For street riding there is zero need to do steel lines and HH pads.

The balance between all these systems is truly dialed. It's been said in other reviews that the CB1100 is the first liter bike that one could recommend to a beginning rider looking to take his DMV test, and I couldn't agree more. I can't decide which is the true cornerstone of this easygoing marvel, the fueling/throttle response, or the magical suspension?

Whatever it is, Honda has managed to create the most confidence-inspiring piece of moto-engineering I've ever experienced.

Bewildered yet satisfied, eventually I slowed down again, returning to my regularly scheduled testing program. I didn't set out to prove to myself that the CB could hang with the XSR in a sporting environment, yet hang with it she absolutely will, unless the XSR rider is serious about twisting the throttle and slamming the bike into corners hard on the brakes.

As I cruised back down smooth, fast Foresthill Rd, I took stock of what was really going on with the bike, and the ride. To wit, my stunningly beautiful red retro does everything I will ever ask of my motorcycle, and she does most of it better than anything else I could have chosen. We're talking strictly function here, too, never mind all the glorious intangibles she brings to the table.

Compared to any other bike, I know I would rather stare out the window and admire her...my very own bike...my shimmering red princess, decked out in all her shiny chrome finery. Compared to just about any other bike, regardless of price, I know I feel more pride of ownership in my new, very special Honda.

And now I know that compared to just about any other bike, I would also rather ride my beautiful red slice of perfection, and it basically won't matter what sort of ride is on the agenda. She handles it all with equal aplomb, all the while displaying a timeless grace and stately bearing that nothing else in the current market can match.

So, lets's go the scorecard, shall we?

Motor: Absolutely nails the relaxed, effortless vibe Honda was shooting for with this project. I won't call the motor perfect because while it is surprisingly and satisfyingly fast once the tach clears 5K, a bit more immediate thrust would still be welcome, especially since it would shut up the Z900RS people. Also, that slight bit of vibration between 3,500-4,900 RPM happens to reside smack-dab in the effective midrange, meaning higher freeway speeds and more aggressive backroads tomfoolery.

Score: 8.5

Transmission: It's even better than the XSR's; as slick and unobtrusive as any gearbox I've ever used, including the GSX-R's. The new Slipper Assist Clutch works. It's immediately noticeable, compared to the much heavier lever-pull and slower, clunkier downshifts of the '14. I would have no qualms with using this six-speed at the track.

Score: 10

Chassis: On the one hand, it's flawless. It looks and fits exactly as it should, and behaves better than it has any logical right. The handling is nigh-on-exemplary. It's downright shocking, really. Still, as ideal as that heavy chassis is for highway work, two-up riding, and basic All-Around Goodness, lighter remains better, and she would handle even better in most regards were she carrying fewer lbs.

Score: 9.0

Suspension: I can't imagine how a compromised-by-nature OEM dual-shock/nearly non-adjustable fork setup could possibly work any better. This is the quintessential Firm Yet Plush ideal that everyone wants, every manufacturer promises, and almost nothing else delivers.

Score: 10

Brakes: Nothing impressive about the look or the specs, but when it comes to delivering the right formula for the street, Honda just seems to know what they're doing. These brakes strike an ideal balance with the suspension, throttle response, and chassis. They're sharp, but not overly so; easy to use, but fully up to the task. For this application, again, I don't know how they could work any better. I'll deduct a point strictly for their lack of radial-mounted eye candy.

Score: 9.0

Instruments: Prettiest, classiest, most easy-to-use, legible instruments imaginable. Everything you need, no superfluous nonsense. In bright sunlight I can still read them. At night they aren't too bright, and they're gorgeous. Quality appearance, too. The only flaw, such as it is, is that the tiny buttons are difficult to control with heavy gloves on, plus you have to lean forward and peer down to use them. Bar-mounted controls would be easier to use, but they wouldn't fit the retro ethos.

Score: 9.0

Lights: That LED headlight looks amazing and works even better. The high beam is as good as a car's high beam. The rear LED tail light is stunning. The period-correct turnsignals finish the look. Kudos for not going the Kawi route there, with slimline, aftermarket-looking items. I love how those amber turnsignals frame my instruments at night.

Score: 10

Comfort: The ergos are perfect for my 5'8", 165 lbs, 29"-inseam shoddy excuse for a body. I flat-foot the bike, which I've never been able to do with any other bike I've owned. The windblast is nonexistent. The seat is as cushy as I expect to feel from any OEM bench seat, and because it's a bench seat I can move around on it, which is a very good thing. The motor is smooth, but it does have that one vibey patch in the midrange.

Score: 9.5

Accoutrements: Bungee hooks galore, a grab rail, a centerstand, a real seat, a trip computer, chrome everything, gorgeous spoked wheels. No standard heated grips, no traction control, no right-angle valve stems, no multi-year warranty, the tool kit is a joke, and those beautiful wheels require the use of inner tubes.

Score: 8.0

Style: Fans of the various model years can debate the relative merits of their favorites, but just about everyone with two functioning eyeballs and a heart that pumps moto-blood agrees that the CB1100 is easily one of the most attractive pieces on the market, and the most authentic of the current retros, as well. The '17 EX ups the ante with the extra bling and even higher degree of finish detail.

Score: 10

Value: Good luck finding anything anywhere with superior build quality, and this one promises to be as long-term reliable as they come. The bike is viewed by most people as overpriced at its $12,199 msrp, and the resale value has never been strong for the CB, with the possible exception of the '14 Deluxe. Honda has yet to announce whether there will be an '18 model brought to the U.S.. If there is no '18, then this '17 EX should hold its value as well as the '14 Deluxe does.

Score: 8.5

Pride of Ownership: When one gets right down to it, this is the primary reason most people buy pricey motorcycles, unless we're talking about function-first supersport and ADV machines. In this highly competitive niche of retro style, I can't think of another product from any other maker that can touch the CB for pride of ownership, with the possible exception of the R-Nine-T, which really isn't a true retro. Industry studies reveal that the long-term reliability of a given motorcycle isn't of great concern to prospective buyers, but I would argue that in the case of the CB1100 its reputation for axe-handle simplicity and problem-free ownership is a major point of pride for its owners. CB owners feel they bought a very high-quality product, and a unique one, at that.

Score: 10

I would also include a category for Fun Factor, except that such a thing is simply too hard to define. Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a bike. Some, like mickey, find fun in pounding away the miles with metronomic consistency, and their bike had better be able to answer the call without complaint each and every day. Others require "character" in their rides, which can mean literally anything to anyone.

To me, this CB1100 EX is a near-perfect streetbike. Everything about it tells me that its designers had the right idea as to what would make for the ideal real-world motorcycle, while also pushing all the most important Lust Buttons.

I know I'm keeping mine, for good. When even a bike's supposed flaws are actually benefits, I know I've landed on something truly special.
You got played like song!

VLJ_imp said:
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewha
 
VLJ, I'm really glad to hear you love the bike and approve of its handling. I coulda told you so if I had the mastery of language like you. I suspect you may be better at hanging off to keep the bike more upright, as I touched peg feelers down pretty quickly. I substituted much shorter allen capscrews to protect the end of the peg.

Here's to many, many miles of sheer riding pleasure!!:beerchug:

Oh, and thanks for the review, it's excellent!
 
VLJ_imp said:
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewhat quickly, but very cautiously. Those roads are so bumpy, and wet and shaded in so many places, that I always approach them with a healthy degree of caution.

Yeah, well, we'll see what's what, up on Mosquito Ridge, I thought, slipping my gloves back on, but not before having to tell TWO different geezers that my bike is, in fact, brand new, a 2017 model, which they simply couldn't believe.

So far, in only two stops over my first two days, I've already had three Geezer Approval moments. Crazy.

When Eric and I did our little ride, we swapped bikes a couple of times over the course of the day. For the Hwy 49/Foresthill Rd/Mosquito Ridge portion I was back on the XSR, and he was back on his '14 Standard. Eric had done a great job of keeping pace with me up in the foothills, but once we hit the road that follows the river off of Hwy 49 I checked out on him, and understandably so. That is a very bumpy, somewhat intimidating road. Again, even on my XSR I approach that one with caution, but as I was riding my new CB on that same stretch of road I was freaking out again, because the CB was making it feel like a walk in the park! Instead of my usual Hold On And Pray Nothing Bad Happens pucker factor, I zipped through there with as little stress as everyone zips through the super-fast, smooth sweepers of Foresthill Rd, which makes all riders feel like heroes.

Eric loved that road. He lagged behind on the river road, but tore it up on Foresthill Rd.

The '17 CB loved both roads equally. I couldn't believe it.

By the time I reached Mosquito Ridge, I was almost po'd. I was doubting myself. I was doubting everything I thought I knew to be true. I was doubting all you marmots, too.

Something wasn't right, and Mosquito Ridge was going to set things to rights.

Uhhh...no.

By the time I reached The Reading Tree, I was completely flummoxed. I immediately checked the chicken strips on my tires.

Something is definitely wrong here. Either I totally suck, or everyone has been lying like dogs about this bike. Or both.

My rear tire was worn past the edge. I'd basically ridden as fast as I ride any other bike up there. I say "basically" because the XSR does launch out of corners a whole lot faster than the CB, and it's much more flickable. Still, Mosquito Ridge doesn't demand all that much flickability. It's more about stability, acceleration, braking, and corner entry/mid-corner confidence.

That last one is key. Having confidence in the throttle, and confidence to stay on the gas because you trust the handling, those things pay larger dividends than merely being able to toss a lighter, faster bike around more easily.

The CB's braking/suspension/power delivery/chassis characteristics somehow combine to imbue the bike with the ability to be ridden just as fast as sportier bikes, only easier, with less stress, less effort, and less reliance on sheer acceleration.

Yes, the XSR is ultimately faster up there, but not when ridden with equal effort. In order to go faster you're going to have to ride it more aggressively, with a higher degree of commitment.

Still, come on, what about that other thing everyone says about the CB's handling? We see it in every video, and it's mentioned in every review.

Namely, the lack of cornering clearance. Sure, everyone says the CB is wonderfully smooth and stable, albeit a bit lacking in right-now forward thrust, but it just has no ground clearance. Sparks fly like a Chinese New Year, the moment you lean the bike past dead-upright.

Seriously, how many videos have we seen of people sending off a shower of sparks merely from puttering around a corner at 40 mph, with no more than a very moderate lean angle? Every major review describes the same thing. I see pictures of the post-ride tires, and they aren't even worn to the edge, and still the thing was shooting sparks like crazy.

So how come I never touched down anything, not even on Mosquito Ridge? I wasn't going at a race pace or whatever, but I was going fast enough to vaporize every other bike I encountered up there, including two Go Pro-bedecked guys on a ZX-6R and GSX-R750, and a few dual-sport hooligans.

My rear tire has no more acreage to offer. I would think that if I was going to drag something, even just a footpeg feeler, it should have happened up there, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing touched, and I was going as fast as I care to go. On the way back from the bridge up to Foresthill, I went for it as aggressively as I did with the XSR the other day. The thing actually handled better than the XSR, despite feeling so much heavier on the brakes.

Oh, and those brakes? They're every bit as awesome as the fueling, the suspension, and the overall handling. For street riding there is zero need to do steel lines and HH pads.

The balance between all these systems is truly dialed. It's been said in other reviews that the CB1100 is the first liter bike that one could recommend to a beginning rider looking to take his DMV test, and I couldn't agree more. I can't decide which is the true cornerstone of this easygoing marvel, the fueling/throttle response, or the magical suspension?

Whatever it is, Honda has managed to create the most confidence-inspiring piece of moto-engineering I've ever experienced.

Bewildered yet satisfied, eventually I slowed down again, returning to my regularly scheduled testing program. I didn't set out to prove to myself that the CB could hang with the XSR in a sporting environment, yet hang with it she absolutely will, unless the XSR rider is serious about twisting the throttle and slamming the bike into corners hard on the brakes.

As I cruised back down smooth, fast Foresthill Rd, I took stock of what was really going on with the bike, and the ride. To wit, my stunningly beautiful red retro does everything I will ever ask of my motorcycle, and she does most of it better than anything else I could have chosen. We're talking strictly function here, too, never mind all the glorious intangibles she brings to the table.

Compared to any other bike, I know I would rather stare out the window and admire her...my very own bike...my shimmering red princess, decked out in all her shiny chrome finery. Compared to just about any other bike, regardless of price, I know I feel more pride of ownership in my new, very special Honda.

And now I know that compared to just about any other bike, I would also rather ride my beautiful red slice of perfection, and it basically won't matter what sort of ride is on the agenda. She handles it all with equal aplomb, all the while displaying a timeless grace and stately bearing that nothing else in the current market can match.

So, lets's go the scorecard, shall we?

Motor: Absolutely nails the relaxed, effortless vibe Honda was shooting for with this project. I won't call the motor perfect because while it is surprisingly and satisfyingly fast once the tach clears 5K, a bit more immediate thrust would still be welcome, especially since it would shut up the Z900RS people. Also, that slight bit of vibration between 3,500-4,900 RPM happens to reside smack-dab in the effective midrange, meaning higher freeway speeds and more aggressive backroads tomfoolery.

Score: 8.5

Transmission: It's even better than the XSR's; as slick and unobtrusive as any gearbox I've ever used, including the GSX-R's. The new Slipper Assist Clutch works. It's immediately noticeable, compared to the much heavier lever-pull and slower, clunkier downshifts of the '14. I would have no qualms with using this six-speed at the track.

Score: 10

Chassis: On the one hand, it's flawless. It looks and fits exactly as it should, and behaves better than it has any logical right. The handling is nigh-on-exemplary. It's downright shocking, really. Still, as ideal as that heavy chassis is for highway work, two-up riding, and basic All-Around Goodness, lighter remains better, and she would handle even better in most regards were she carrying fewer lbs.

Score: 9.0

Suspension: I can't imagine how a compromised-by-nature OEM dual-shock/nearly non-adjustable fork setup could possibly work any better. This is the quintessential Firm Yet Plush ideal that everyone wants, every manufacturer promises, and almost nothing else delivers.

Score: 10

Brakes: Nothing impressive about the look or the specs, but when it comes to delivering the right formula for the street, Honda just seems to know what they're doing. These brakes strike an ideal balance with the suspension, throttle response, and chassis. They're sharp, but not overly so; easy to use, but fully up to the task. For this application, again, I don't know how they could work any better. I'll deduct a point strictly for their lack of radial-mounted eye candy.

Score: 9.0

Instruments: Prettiest, classiest, most easy-to-use, legible instruments imaginable. Everything you need, no superfluous nonsense. In bright sunlight I can still read them. At night they aren't too bright, and they're gorgeous. Quality appearance, too. The only flaw, such as it is, is that the tiny buttons are difficult to control with heavy gloves on, plus you have to lean forward and peer down to use them. Bar-mounted controls would be easier to use, but they wouldn't fit the retro ethos.

Score: 9.0

Lights: That LED headlight looks amazing and works even better. The high beam is as good as a car's high beam. The rear LED tail light is stunning. The period-correct turnsignals finish the look. Kudos for not going the Kawi route there, with slimline, aftermarket-looking items. I love how those amber turnsignals frame my instruments at night.

Score: 10

Comfort: The ergos are perfect for my 5'8", 165 lbs, 29"-inseam shoddy excuse for a body. I flat-foot the bike, which I've never been able to do with any other bike I've owned. The windblast is nonexistent. The seat is as cushy as I expect to feel from any OEM bench seat, and because it's a bench seat I can move around on it, which is a very good thing. The motor is smooth, but it does have that one vibey patch in the midrange.

Score: 9.5

Accoutrements: Bungee hooks galore, a grab rail, a centerstand, a real seat, a trip computer, chrome everything, gorgeous spoked wheels. No standard heated grips, no traction control, no right-angle valve stems, no multi-year warranty, the tool kit is a joke, and those beautiful wheels require the use of inner tubes.

Score: 8.0

Style: Fans of the various model years can debate the relative merits of their favorites, but just about everyone with two functioning eyeballs and a heart that pumps moto-blood agrees that the CB1100 is easily one of the most attractive pieces on the market, and the most authentic of the current retros, as well. The '17 EX ups the ante with the extra bling and even higher degree of finish detail.

Score: 10

Value: Good luck finding anything anywhere with superior build quality, and this one promises to be as long-term reliable as they come. The bike is viewed by most people as overpriced at its $12,199 msrp, and the resale value has never been strong for the CB, with the possible exception of the '14 Deluxe. Honda has yet to announce whether there will be an '18 model brought to the U.S.. If there is no '18, then this '17 EX should hold its value as well as the '14 Deluxe does.

Score: 8.5

Pride of Ownership: When one gets right down to it, this is the primary reason most people buy pricey motorcycles, unless we're talking about function-first supersport and ADV machines. In this highly competitive niche of retro style, I can't think of another product from any other maker that can touch the CB for pride of ownership, with the possible exception of the R-Nine-T, which really isn't a true retro. Industry studies reveal that the long-term reliability of a given motorcycle isn't of great concern to prospective buyers, but I would argue that in the case of the CB1100 its reputation for axe-handle simplicity and problem-free ownership is a major point of pride for its owners. CB owners feel they bought a very high-quality product, and a unique one, at that.

Score: 10

I would also include a category for Fun Factor, except that such a thing is simply too hard to define. Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a bike. Some, like mickey, find fun in pounding away the miles with metronomic consistency, and their bike had better be able to answer the call without complaint each and every day. Others require "character" in their rides, which can mean literally anything to anyone.

To me, this CB1100 EX is a near-perfect streetbike. Everything about it tells me that its designers had the right idea as to what would make for the ideal real-world motorcycle, while also pushing all the most important Lust Buttons.

I know I'm keeping mine, for good. When even a bike's supposed flaws are actually benefits, I know I've landed on something truly special.
:thumbsup: I told you so. ;)

So what if no one wants to admit it? My posts stating you'd feel EXACTLY this way about the bike, and my predictions about Honda having done a thorough rework of the bike from the frame outward, were 100 percent accurate. Your assessment is all I needed to confirm that.

The brakes, of course. Superb. Stainless steel lines are unnecessary. Cornering clearance, more than sufficient. A heavy, sloppy rider might have problems. Great suspension and chassis design increase cornering clearance not by outright physical distance, but because of superior control of the chassis and a balanced package.

Don't be so humble. It is perfectly clear to me you ride very, very well. Also that, unlike me with my 2013 Standard, you WILL hang onto that bike for a long time.

With every bike I've owned in the last five years, it has ALWAYS come down to suspension and handling. The bikes that have it last the longest. Those that don't, go away. I don't care what the bike looks like, if it's trying to spit me off and acting up, it's gone.

So, a very happy outcome for you. Excellent.
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write that review, VLJ. I’m pleased your initial joy hasn’t been dampened by first serious exposure.
Something tells me VLJ did not have to go to any trouble at all to write that review. VLJ is a writer. He loves to write and he happens to be quite good at it. For guys like VLJ, a well-written work is like a great ride. And having people enjoy and learn from it is icing on the cake.
 
If Honda actually wanted to SELL some of these bikes in the US, I think they should hire you to write copy for them!

Very well done. Now if my 2017 would only arrive . . .
 
On telephones and motorcycles...
VLJ_imp said:
I've already posted a few initial impressions of my new CB, but those were based solely on a couple of freeway rides in the rain and one quick spin last night to test the new LED headlight. I wanted to reserve judgment until I managed a real ride during daylight hours, on a sunny day with reasonably clean, dry roads.

I just arrived back home following my first proper ride, and, thanks to Cormanus and his suggestion to use Imgur to host my cellphone pictures, I'm now fully up to speed.

There she is, taking a break during her maiden ride on snowy Mosquito Ridge, looking down the road...

fb330967fd96ca7ff61943687d3f70e1.jpg


...and looking up the road, from where cows often come ambling down in large herds, clanging cow bells heralding their arrival long before anyone actually sees them rounding the bend...

d5c4850df9d9461780955d88f9ce397e.jpg


Here's what I call The Reading Tree, which is where we stopped during my ride with Eric. I usually take a break during my rides up here by bringing a book and some water. That tree overlooks a vast valley and even vaster mountain vistas, the views of which I enjoy while leaning against the tree to read my book...

b95597b318b404b9bbd0f74cf9492f6e.jpg


Today's ride covered the identical roads Eric and I rode two weeks ago. I did this intentionally, wanting to see how the new bike compared to Eric's '14 Standard and my XSR on the same roads.

Heading down I-80 towards the Horseshoe Bar Rd exit in Loomis, my bike felt no different from Eric's. The mirrors were just like his, which is to say, perfect. Or nearly so, anyway. About 1/4 of each mirror is filled with my shoulder, so I can't call them perfect mirrors, but the other 75% is, in fact, perfect. They stay crystal clear at any speed, as long as my hands are on the grips. If the bike is idling and my hands are at my side, the mirrors blur up quite a bit. As soon as I place my hands back on the grips, they clear right up.

Otherwise, my bike and Eric's are equally smooth at freeway speeds, or equally buzzy, depending on how one wishes to look at it. 3,400 RPM and below is pure glass. 3,500 RPM introduces a bit of buzz that can be felt through the grips and tank, increasing slightly as the RPM climb to 4,900 RPM. This is the case in any gear. Once the tach hits 5K, however, the bike suddenly becomes as smooth as it is at 2,500 RPM.

It's the strangest thing. Smooth down low...a bit buzzy in the midrange...smooth again (maybe even smoother) over the rest of the tach, all the way to redline. It reminds me of a turbine.

The dead-smooth windflow combines with ideal ergos (for my frame, anyway) to form the perfect freeway ride. The bike's excessive heft is actually a good thing on the freeway, lending the bike a feeling of unshakable solidity that works with the relaxed cadence of the motor to provide a feeling of absolute, purpose-built composure.

The only bike I can imagine preferring to this one for long trips would be the R1200RT, and even there the noise and buffeting coming off the windshield might spoil the party. Otherwise, for touring, I would take this CB over a Gold Wing, my BMW Roadsters, my old ST1300, or anything else. All freeways eventually come to an end, and I'm going to want the CB not just on the freeway, but also once the roads turn entertaining again.

Which brings us to back to the exit in Loomis, and the country road leading up into the Sierra foothills. The moment I peeled around the looping offramp, any worries about my bike repeating the heavy, non-neutral steering of Eric's '14 vanished. As I discovered last night, this bike steers as lightly as anything I've ridden, with the lone exception of my buddy's 2015 FZ-09, which truly does steer like a stupid-fast bicycle.

This one steers lightly and easily, and also dead neutrally. X-amount of input results in X-amount of lean. Hold it steady, it remains right where you set it. She's not the most flickable of rides, which is the one downside to all that excess heft, but she's as predictable as a Kardashian tweet.

Okay, so she turns as easily as everyone says. Cool.

Now, what about the suspension? Once I turned off of Ophir Rd and into the foothills, this is where Eric's bike immediately freaked me out. It wasn't just the heavy, unpredictable steering; it was also the way the suspension reacted to most bumps not by absorbing them but by colliding with and ricocheting off of them. This is where I really wanted to see what I'd bought with this new '17 CB.

Within, oh, five corners or so, I was beginning to question my sanity.

What in the world is going on here?

While Eric's bike truly gave me pause over those initial bumpy corners, my XSR isn't exactly a picnic there either. I consider the suspension the one area of the XSR that needs help, because, similar to Eric's bike, it doesn't handle sharp bumps well. It handles them better than his bike does, but still I think it needs suspension work to make it plusher, more confidence-inspiring.

This '17 CB was doing exactly what I would hope to accomplish by spending upwards of $3K on suspension upgrades for the XSR. The CB just smoothed everything right out. Nothing jarred me. No more tentatively picking my lines, trying to avoid the bumpier bits. The more I rode through that stretch of bumpy, up-and-down countryside, the more I thought I was riding a big-bucks Euro sport-tourer.

Even stranger was the dawning realization that the throttle connection to the tire was so freaking spot-on that I found myself riding the CB just as quickly as I normally ride the XSR through that section. The complete absence of drive lash combined with dead-nuts perfect fueling, a ton of easy torque right off the throttle, and a rock-solid, eerily firm-yet-plush chassis had me rethinking my place in the cosmos.

By the time I finished up the faster section from Combie Rd up to Grass Valley and back down for lunch at the Mexican place where Eric and I stopped to fuel up and eat, I was thoroughly confused. Surely I was missing something.

Admittedly, I still hadn't pushed particularly hard. I was riding smoothly, and somewhat quickly, but very cautiously. Those roads are so bumpy, and wet and shaded in so many places, that I always approach them with a healthy degree of caution.

Yeah, well, we'll see what's what, up on Mosquito Ridge, I thought, slipping my gloves back on, but not before having to tell TWO different geezers that my bike is, in fact, brand new, a 2017 model, which they simply couldn't believe.

So far, in only two stops over my first two days, I've already had three Geezer Approval moments. Crazy.

When Eric and I did our little ride, we swapped bikes a couple of times over the course of the day. For the Hwy 49/Foresthill Rd/Mosquito Ridge portion I was back on the XSR, and he was back on his '14 Standard. Eric had done a great job of keeping pace with me up in the foothills, but once we hit the road that follows the river off of Hwy 49 I checked out on him, and understandably so. That is a very bumpy, somewhat intimidating road. Again, even on my XSR I approach that one with caution, but as I was riding my new CB on that same stretch of road I was freaking out again, because the CB was making it feel like a walk in the park! Instead of my usual Hold On And Pray Nothing Bad Happens pucker factor, I zipped through there with as little stress as everyone zips through the super-fast, smooth sweepers of Foresthill Rd, which makes all riders feel like heroes.

Eric loved that road. He lagged behind on the river road, but tore it up on Foresthill Rd.

The '17 CB loved both roads equally. I couldn't believe it.

By the time I reached Mosquito Ridge, I was almost po'd. I was doubting myself. I was doubting everything I thought I knew to be true. I was doubting all you marmots, too.

Something wasn't right, and Mosquito Ridge was going to set things to rights.

Uhhh...no.

By the time I reached The Reading Tree, I was completely flummoxed. I immediately checked the chicken strips on my tires.

Something is definitely wrong here. Either I totally suck, or everyone has been lying like dogs about this bike. Or both.

My rear tire was worn past the edge. I'd basically ridden as fast as I ride any other bike up there. I say "basically" because the XSR does launch out of corners a whole lot faster than the CB, and it's much more flickable. Still, Mosquito Ridge doesn't demand all that much flickability. It's more about stability, acceleration, braking, and corner entry/mid-corner confidence.

That last one is key. Having confidence in the throttle, and confidence to stay on the gas because you trust the handling, those things pay larger dividends than merely being able to toss a lighter, faster bike around more easily.

The CB's braking/suspension/power delivery/chassis characteristics somehow combine to imbue the bike with the ability to be ridden just as fast as sportier bikes, only easier, with less stress, less effort, and less reliance on sheer acceleration.

Yes, the XSR is ultimately faster up there, but not when ridden with equal effort. In order to go faster you're going to have to ride it more aggressively, with a higher degree of commitment.

Still, come on, what about that other thing everyone says about the CB's handling? We see it in every video, and it's mentioned in every review.

Namely, the lack of cornering clearance. Sure, everyone says the CB is wonderfully smooth and stable, albeit a bit lacking in right-now forward thrust, but it just has no ground clearance. Sparks fly like a Chinese New Year, the moment you lean the bike past dead-upright.

Seriously, how many videos have we seen of people sending off a shower of sparks merely from puttering around a corner at 40 mph, with no more than a very moderate lean angle? Every major review describes the same thing. I see pictures of the post-ride tires, and they aren't even worn to the edge, and still the thing was shooting sparks like crazy.

So how come I never touched down anything, not even on Mosquito Ridge? I wasn't going at a race pace or whatever, but I was going fast enough to vaporize every other bike I encountered up there, including two Go Pro-bedecked guys on a ZX-6R and GSX-R750, and a few dual-sport hooligans.

My rear tire has no more acreage to offer. I would think that if I was going to drag something, even just a footpeg feeler, it should have happened up there, but it didn't. Absolutely nothing touched, and I was going as fast as I care to go. On the way back from the bridge up to Foresthill, I went for it as aggressively as I did with the XSR the other day. The thing actually handled better than the XSR, despite feeling so much heavier on the brakes.

Oh, and those brakes? They're every bit as awesome as the fueling, the suspension, and the overall handling. For street riding there is zero need to do steel lines and HH pads.

The balance between all these systems is truly dialed. It's been said in other reviews that the CB1100 is the first liter bike that one could recommend to a beginning rider looking to take his DMV test, and I couldn't agree more. I can't decide which is the true cornerstone of this easygoing marvel, the fueling/throttle response, or the magical suspension?

Whatever it is, Honda has managed to create the most confidence-inspiring piece of moto-engineering I've ever experienced.

Bewildered yet satisfied, eventually I slowed down again, returning to my regularly scheduled testing program. I didn't set out to prove to myself that the CB could hang with the XSR in a sporting environment, yet hang with it she absolutely will, unless the XSR rider is serious about twisting the throttle and slamming the bike into corners hard on the brakes.

As I cruised back down smooth, fast Foresthill Rd, I took stock of what was really going on with the bike, and the ride. To wit, my stunningly beautiful red retro does everything I will ever ask of my motorcycle, and she does most of it better than anything else I could have chosen. We're talking strictly function here, too, never mind all the glorious intangibles she brings to the table.

Compared to any other bike, I know I would rather stare out the window and admire her...my very own bike...my shimmering red princess, decked out in all her shiny chrome finery. Compared to just about any other bike, regardless of price, I know I feel more pride of ownership in my new, very special Honda.

And now I know that compared to just about any other bike, I would also rather ride my beautiful red slice of perfection, and it basically won't matter what sort of ride is on the agenda. She handles it all with equal aplomb, all the while displaying a timeless grace and stately bearing that nothing else in the current market can match.

So, lets's go the scorecard, shall we?

Motor: Absolutely nails the relaxed, effortless vibe Honda was shooting for with this project. I won't call the motor perfect because while it is surprisingly and satisfyingly fast once the tach clears 5K, a bit more immediate thrust would still be welcome, especially since it would shut up the Z900RS people. Also, that slight bit of vibration between 3,500-4,900 RPM happens to reside smack-dab in the effective midrange, meaning higher freeway speeds and more aggressive backroads tomfoolery.

Score: 8.5

Transmission: It's even better than the XSR's; as slick and unobtrusive as any gearbox I've ever used, including the GSX-R's. The new Slipper Assist Clutch works. It's immediately noticeable, compared to the much heavier lever-pull and slower, clunkier downshifts of the '14. I would have no qualms with using this six-speed at the track.

Score: 10

Chassis: On the one hand, it's flawless. It looks and fits exactly as it should, and behaves better than it has any logical right. The handling is nigh-on-exemplary. It's downright shocking, really. Still, as ideal as that heavy chassis is for highway work, two-up riding, and basic All-Around Goodness, lighter remains better, and she would handle even better in most regards were she carrying fewer lbs.

Score: 9.0

Suspension: I can't imagine how a compromised-by-nature OEM dual-shock/nearly non-adjustable fork setup could possibly work any better. This is the quintessential Firm Yet Plush ideal that everyone wants, every manufacturer promises, and almost nothing else delivers.

Score: 10

Brakes: Nothing impressive about the look or the specs, but when it comes to delivering the right formula for the street, Honda just seems to know what they're doing. These brakes strike an ideal balance with the suspension, throttle response, and chassis. They're sharp, but not overly so; easy to use, but fully up to the task. For this application, again, I don't know how they could work any better. I'll deduct a point strictly for their lack of radial-mounted eye candy.

Score: 9.0

Instruments: Prettiest, classiest, most easy-to-use, legible instruments imaginable. Everything you need, no superfluous nonsense. In bright sunlight I can still read them. At night they aren't too bright, and they're gorgeous. Quality appearance, too. The only flaw, such as it is, is that the tiny buttons are difficult to control with heavy gloves on, plus you have to lean forward and peer down to use them. Bar-mounted controls would be easier to use, but they wouldn't fit the retro ethos.

Score: 9.0

Lights: That LED headlight looks amazing and works even better. The high beam is as good as a car's high beam. The rear LED tail light is stunning. The period-correct turnsignals finish the look. Kudos for not going the Kawi route there, with slimline, aftermarket-looking items. I love how those amber turnsignals frame my instruments at night.

Score: 10

Comfort: The ergos are perfect for my 5'8", 165 lbs, 29"-inseam shoddy excuse for a body. I flat-foot the bike, which I've never been able to do with any other bike I've owned. The windblast is nonexistent. The seat is as cushy as I expect to feel from any OEM bench seat, and because it's a bench seat I can move around on it, which is a very good thing. The motor is smooth, but it does have that one vibey patch in the midrange.

Score: 9.5

Accoutrements: Bungee hooks galore, a grab rail, a centerstand, a real seat, a trip computer, chrome everything, gorgeous spoked wheels. No standard heated grips, no traction control, no right-angle valve stems, no multi-year warranty, the tool kit is a joke, and those beautiful wheels require the use of inner tubes.

Score: 8.0

Style: Fans of the various model years can debate the relative merits of their favorites, but just about everyone with two functioning eyeballs and a heart that pumps moto-blood agrees that the CB1100 is easily one of the most attractive pieces on the market, and the most authentic of the current retros, as well. The '17 EX ups the ante with the extra bling and even higher degree of finish detail.

Score: 10

Value: Good luck finding anything anywhere with superior build quality, and this one promises to be as long-term reliable as they come. The bike is viewed by most people as overpriced at its $12,199 msrp, and the resale value has never been strong for the CB, with the possible exception of the '14 Deluxe. Honda has yet to announce whether there will be an '18 model brought to the U.S.. If there is no '18, then this '17 EX should hold its value as well as the '14 Deluxe does.

Score: 8.5

Pride of Ownership: When one gets right down to it, this is the primary reason most people buy pricey motorcycles, unless we're talking about function-first supersport and ADV machines. In this highly competitive niche of retro style, I can't think of another product from any other maker that can touch the CB for pride of ownership, with the possible exception of the R-Nine-T, which really isn't a true retro. Industry studies reveal that the long-term reliability of a given motorcycle isn't of great concern to prospective buyers, but I would argue that in the case of the CB1100 its reputation for axe-handle simplicity and problem-free ownership is a major point of pride for its owners. CB owners feel they bought a very high-quality product, and a unique one, at that.

Score: 10

I would also include a category for Fun Factor, except that such a thing is simply too hard to define. Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a bike. Some, like mickey, find fun in pounding away the miles with metronomic consistency, and their bike had better be able to answer the call without complaint each and every day. Others require "character" in their rides, which can mean literally anything to anyone.

To me, this CB1100 EX is a near-perfect streetbike. Everything about it tells me that its designers had the right idea as to what would make for the ideal real-world motorcycle, while also pushing all the most important Lust Buttons.

I know I'm keeping mine, for good. When even a bike's supposed flaws are actually benefits, I know I've landed on something truly special.
Thanks for an excellent review!

On the subject of pictures, if I may:
While my religion prevents me from using mobile telephony, I fully understand that the majority of my fellow motorcyclists face no such restriction, and that their telephones are at the same time their picture-taking devices.

Telephones are normally held "upright", and, if no special effort is made when taking a photograph, produce an image of greater height than width, while the motorcycles - a common photographic object around here - are, without exception, wider than they are tall.

I humbly suggest that when a telephone is used to produce a photograph of a motorcycle, it should be held, with rare exceptions, sideways.
 
Glad you approve. :thumbsup:

Been saying it for 5 years, the CB1100 is just a great all around every man's motorcycle.

Can't wait to see how you handle dissenters, the next time a CB 1100 is reviewed by MCD ;)
 
Well done VLJ! Thrilled to hear the 17 CB is a smashing success for your riding ways. Also loved reading and appreciate the honest review. I'm excited to hear more about your miles down the road (ey!) and wish I had your fun twisty tarmac to unwind the CB on.

One other note, I've only scraped the pegs on my bike at the track. Road wise, it is free and clear.
 
Thread starter
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
 
VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
Even a bike with crap suspension can be ridden smoothly. All bikes had crap suspension back in day. My Sym Wolf Classic 150 has what one would think is crap suspension, but the bike can be ridden very smoothly, and in truth, the suspension on that bike is better suited to its purpose than the stock suspension on my 2013 Standard CB1100. I rode that Wolf Classic for several hours this weekend over a wide variety of twisting roads and the suspension is actually very compliant, especially for a lighter rider like myself. It doesn't get upset over hard acceleration because there is none, but the bike has an excellent front hydraulic disk, and the fork works quite well, even under sporting applications of brake. It's easy to control the front end on the brakes. The bike only weighs 260 lbs, but the key is being very smooth. It's hard to be that smooth on the first generation CB1100 if you ride in a sporting fashion, because the bike is quite heavy, has a lot of torque, and the suspension is neither sprung nor damped for any but the smoothest of roads and the most sedate riding style.

Just consider how bad bikes of yesteryear were made, with soda-straw forks, junk springs, practically no damping at all (the fork oil was just there to lubricate the parts) and zero adjustability. Yet those bikes could be ridden without bashing hard parts; Malcolm Smith, Freddie Spencer, and similar riders come to mind, guys who grew up having to adapt to those circumstances.

Honda have obviously done a supremely good job of re-engineering the CB1100 in 2017. It may look similar but clearly it's an entirely different motorcycle. It's become the bike I thought I was buying in 2013, and the one I will now seriously consider purchasing. I doubt seriously that it has any part numbers in common with the previous iteration.

VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
So many have the wrong impression of sport riding.

Freddie Spencer used this term in teaching riders to be faster:

"The fastest rider has the slowest hands."

No matter what kind of bike one is riding, being incredibly smooth is the key to riding fast in a way that looks easy and is also safer. The new CB helps the rider in that regard by being so well-engineered that even our mistakes are erased, or at least muted, by the bike.

Any rider who slams a bike around is a rider I want nothing to do with, that's an accident waiting to happen.

VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
It certainly is. What a great job Honda have done, in finally at long last giving its flagship "Sport Heritage" the kind of handling and composure it deserved.

VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
Moto "journalists" tend to do that because it is spectacular and gives the impression they are great riders. They tend to be quite clownish, the culture being conducive to the creation of "cartoonish" personalities. Great riders never scrape anything and they can also be very quick, and they rarely have incidents.

I generally scrape a peg a few times on any new bike I own (with the exception of pure sporting machines which have far more cornering clearance than I could possibly use on a public road). It happens smoothly, and thereafter, I always remember that limitation and never scrape it again.

I think I touched a peg feeler down on my CB1100 maybe 3-4 times in over 10,000 miles.
The ferret_imp said:
Glad you approve. :thumbsup:

Been saying it for 5 years, the CB1100 is just a great all around every man's motorcycle.

Can't wait to see how you handle dissenters, the next time a CB 1100 is reviewed by MCD ;)
We have entered a new epoch in the story of the CB1100.

The 2017 version is so different than the previous models that we are really discussing an entirely different motorcycle altogether.

It is far more than just a bigger gas tank, a few odds and ends changed visually, suspension upgrades, and better lighting.

It's a totally different motorcycle that looks very similar visually.

It can certainly serve the purpose of being a great all-round standard, a yeoman's machine, but the outright sporting capabilities of the bike (which also translate exceptionally well to its capacity as an all-day tourer) are clearly drastically improved.

Honda did right on this bike; I'd rather have one than the Z900RS for sure.

This new CB1100 is truly a premium motorcycle in every sense of the word, unless VLJ or someone else uncovers some deep flaw.

Flagship stuff.
 
VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
last week i took a round with my 17model..well....i have still factory setting...i scratch sometimes with the footpeg in littel curves that goes mountain up/down in such situation is the ground closer...supplement too with bumps....here in my place i have any such kind (wonderful) lanes

but just the suspension from the17 model is realy much better in relation to the DLX (or just older models)....ooor the DLX i use now if i like a realy slow smooth easy going sunday sunnyafternoon ride smileeee...
 
alprider_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
last week i took a round with my 17model..well....i have still factory setting...i scratch sometimes with the footpeg in littel curves that goes mountain up/down in such situation is the ground closer...supplement too with bumps....here in my place i have any such kind (wonderful) lanes

but just the suspension from the17 model is realy much better in relation to the DLX (or just older models)....ooor the DLX i use now if i like a realy slow smooth easy going sunday sunnyafternoon ride smileeee...
last week i took a round with my 17model..well....i have still factory setting...i scratch sometimes with the footpeg in littel curves that goes mountain up/down in such situation is the ground closer...supplement too with bumps....here in my place i have any such kind (wonderful) lanes

but just the suspension from the17 model is realy much better in relation to the DLX (or just older models) Hello Alprider! 2017 is an entirely new creation, a whole new generation of CB1100.

Maybe someone more "pedantic" can start comparing part numbers, but the frame and swingarm are different, and we already know the wheels and suspension components are also all-new and improved. As are the lights, seat (from what I hear, anyway) and so on.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
alprider_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
rotor, believe me, as I stood there trying to frame those pics on my camera, I was flipping my phone back and forth. I ended up going with the vertical aspect because it was the only way to get the full scope of the trees, without pulling back too far and minimizing the bike. In particular, the shot with the Reading Tree kept including too many other things when I tried holding the camera horizontally.

Normally, though, you're absolutely correct.

Ulvetanna, the only explanation I could come up with as to why nothing ever touched down echoes what you're saying about the importance of a properly dialed chassis and overall setup. I've had other bikes with greater ground clearance scrape pegs, centerstands, exhausts, whatever, and it usually occurs when the bike unweights itself and comes back down too quickly in response to a sudden dip in the road, or in an off-camber corner riddled with bumps. Too little rebound damping is often the culprit, or the bike pitches back and forth as a result of choppy throttle response.

It was the utter absence of these factors that I first noticed during the initial bumpy section in the foothills, and was cemented for me on Mosquito Ridge. So many times I would physically and mentally prepare myself for the jolt or rough patch that I'm accustomed to having to ride through, but with this CB there was no need. Nothing ever upset the chassis. Rolling on and off the throttle creates no chassis pitch whatsoever, because there is no drive lash or abruptness from the fueling. In terms of the suspension, most bumps simply become non-bumps. No matter what I threw at her, her chassis remained level and unflustered, her forward momentum resolute.

It was the opposite of the usual racy feeling one experiences from something like a Street Triple, in which you're constantly on and off the throttle, shifting gears, braking hard, throwing the bike around.

You know...sport riding.

With the CB there was none of that. I simply left it in third gear and rolled on and off the throttle. Rather than a sudden slowing followed by a massive rush of acceleration, there was almost no engine braking or big hits of power, so the speed remained relatively constant. It was like riding a monorail, rather than driving a go-kart. When I did snick down to second gear to bring the revs up into the 5-7K range, it was more of the same, the only differences being the higher-pitched engine note and increased acceleration.

It's the seamless integration of each system working together to create a perfectly balanced package. The bike simply never strays from its appointed path, and without those sudden oscillations to upset the chassis the relative lack of ground clearance ceases to be an issue.

All I can think from watching the bike scrape in so many videos is that those guys are intentionally trying to make it scrape. They're doing something in their riding to upset the balance of the chassis.

Either that, or, yep, I just suck.
last week i took a round with my 17model..well....i have still factory setting...i scratch sometimes with the footpeg in littel curves that goes mountain up/down in such situation is the ground closer...supplement too with bumps....here in my place i have any such kind (wonderful) lanes

but just the suspension from the17 model is realy much better in relation to the DLX (or just older models)....ooor the DLX i use now if i like a realy slow smooth easy going sunday sunnyafternoon ride smileeee...
last week i took a round with my 17model..well....i have still factory setting...i scratch sometimes with the footpeg in littel curves that goes mountain up/down in such situation is the ground closer...supplement too with bumps....here in my place i have any such kind (wonderful) lanes

but just the suspension from the17 model is realy much better in relation to the DLX (or just older models) Hello Alprider! 2017 is an entirely new creation, a whole new generation of CB1100.

Maybe someone more "pedantic" can start comparing part numbers, but the frame and swingarm are different, and we already know the wheels and suspension components are also all-new and improved. As are the lights, seat (from what I hear, anyway) and so on.

dont worried i know it very good although I drove only 1200 km so far until now with my yellow bee...(and over 10000 with my blue DLX )

my 2 darlings..........:angel:




[attachment=7518]
 
Glad you're happy with the new bike VLJ. Here's wishing you many, many more happy miles. My favorite photo is of the reading tree, although to be honest I'm not sure how much reading I'd get done at that particular spot — I'd probably have referred to it as the gazing tree in my case, lol.

What's interesting is that your review reads to me as if it were written about my 2013 model. Your ride experience mirrors my own. I've never been pitched from my seat or had the bike upset in ways that Ulvetanna has mentioned for that matter. You can see from the video I previously posted that what I've subjected the bike to and how it reacted (I didn't rush to change out my suspension afterwards because I didn't feel the need). I've never scraped the pegs for that matter either. I suppose I suck too, but then I've stated as such before. :P
alprider, I love that blue color — very nice!
 
I've scraped hard parts on my 2013. Not often and always, at least as I recall, it was on a hard right-hand turn with a dip the pavement at the apex, either for drainage or because of a steep incline after the turn. No, ALMOST always. There was a super-tight left-hand hairpin turn in Arkansas, just outside of Jasper, where I scraped the left peg (the least of my problems on that particular turn, but that's a story for another time).

I wound up tightening down the front suspension a bit on the uninformed theory that it would keep the front end from dipping quite so much. I am not sure if that was the right thing to do, but it seemed to work. One thing to note, though, is that the rightmost header pipe of my Yoshi exhaust is what touches down, not the right peg. Maybe getting my fat butt further back on the seat might help, but it's such a rare occurrence that I'm not too worried about it.
 
Guth_imp said:
Glad you're happy with the new bike VLJ. Here's wishing you many, many more happy miles. My favorite photo is of the reading tree, although to be honest I'm not sure how much reading I'd get done at that particular spot — I'd probably have referred to it as the gazing tree in my case, lol.

What's interesting is that your review reads to me as if it were written about my 2013 model. Your ride experience mirrors my own. I've never been pitched from my seat or had the bike upset in ways that Ulvetanna has mentioned for that matter. You can see from the video I previously posted that what I've subjected the bike to and how it reacted (I didn't rush to change out my suspension afterwards because I didn't feel the need). I've never scraped the pegs for that matter either. I suppose I suck too, but then I've stated as such before. :P
alprider, I love that blue color — very nice!
Just to be clear for the record, it was VLJ who described those things, and I commented on them.:D

Guth_imp said:
Glad you're happy with the new bike VLJ. Here's wishing you many, many more happy miles. My favorite photo is of the reading tree, although to be honest I'm not sure how much reading I'd get done at that particular spot — I'd probably have referred to it as the gazing tree in my case, lol.

What's interesting is that your review reads to me as if it were written about my 2013 model. Your ride experience mirrors my own. I've never been pitched from my seat or had the bike upset in ways that Ulvetanna has mentioned for that matter. You can see from the video I previously posted that what I've subjected the bike to and how it reacted (I didn't rush to change out my suspension afterwards because I didn't feel the need). I've never scraped the pegs for that matter either. I suppose I suck too, but then I've stated as such before. :P
alprider, I love that blue color — very nice!
That's because you ride in the ZONE, dude! Smooth.

That is what I was talking about, is that smooth riding can fix a lot of suspension shortcomings.

In fact we shouldn't call them shortcomings because a smooth rider can make a bike with ordinary components work very well. Dirt riding teaches us that.

But only to a point, and the new 2017 has increased the limits of outright sporting capability while making a good rider look and feel great.

I would like to hear the comments of someone who has traded a first-generation for the 2017 model, back-to-back, point for point.

I guess I might be that guy, we'll see.
EmptySea_imp said:
I've scraped hard parts on my 2013. Not often and always, at least as I recall, it was on a hard right-hand turn with a dip the pavement at the apex, either for drainage or because of a steep incline after the turn. No, ALMOST always. There was a super-tight left-hand hairpin turn in Arkansas, just outside of Jasper, where I scraped the left peg (the least of my problems on that particular turn, but that's a story for another time).

I wound up tightening down the front suspension a bit on the uninformed theory that it would keep the front end from dipping quite so much. I am not sure if that was the right thing to do, but it seemed to work. One thing to note, though, is that the rightmost header pipe of my Yoshi exhaust is what touches down, not the right peg. Maybe getting my fat butt further back on the seat might help, but it's such a rare occurrence that I'm not too worried about it.
You were right. The CB1100 is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload. I went through many rides before I finally got the front end to work with the new Ikon-Koni shocks.
 
Back
Top