2014 vs. 2013 Gear Ratios (Especially 6th)

hedstrom_imp said:
In another thread, CA200 informs us that the 2014 has one more tooth on the rear sprocket (40) than the 2013 (39). I don't know how he was able to determine this, but if true, then yes the overall ratios for gears 1-5 will be different on the 2014. I assume this also means acceleration on the 2014 will be vastly improved over 2013 despite the slight weight gain.

CA200_imp said:
Just checked the 13 14 sprockets , looks like the 14 has a 40 tooth rear instead of a 39. I am still looking for a 37 or a 19 for the 13.
CA probably looked at the parts diagrams for 13s and 14s while investigating alternative sprockets for his 13.

With a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket they might be slightly different ratios than the 13, but the relationship between gears 1-5 remain the same and the 6 th gear will be a numerical overdrive much different than gears 1-5.
 
I just looked at the parts fiche on-line and it does show 40T for the '14 and 39T for the 13. How this affects ratios, well I just don't know.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hedstrom_imp said:
In another thread, CA200 informs us that the 2014 has one more tooth on the rear sprocket (40) than the 2013 (39). I don't know how he was able to determine this, but if true, then yes the overall ratios for gears 1-5 will be different on the 2014. I assume this also means acceleration on the 2014 will be vastly improved over 2013 despite the slight weight gain.

CA200_imp said:
Just checked the 13 14 sprockets , looks like the 14 has a 40 tooth rear instead of a 39. I am still looking for a 37 or a 19 for the 13.
CA probably looked at the parts diagrams for 13s and 14s while investigating alternative sprockets for his 13.

With a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket they might be slightly different ratios than the 13, but the relationship between gears 1-5 remain the same and the 6 th gear will be a numerical overdrive much different than gears 1-5.
CA probably looked at the parts diagrams for 13s and 14s while investigating alternative sprockets for his 13.

With a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket they might be slightly different ratios than the 13, but the relationship between gears 1-5 remain the same and the 6 th gear will be a numerical overdrive much different than gears 1-5.
So ferret, are you saying my 2014 DLX (when and if it comes) will NOT have "vastly" better acceleration than the '13 model? Just kidding... I realize that one tooth on the rear sprocket will not make a substantial difference. It might be interesting, though, for someone with a lot of time on their hands to figure out what the overall ratios in the gears would be with a 39 and 40 tooth sprocket.
Maybe popgun could get on the parts fiche and start counting gear teeth.
 
Seeing as how it weighs 30 pounds more it might be slower than a 13 with the same rider aboard. Really not sure how much difference 1 tooth on the rear could make ..maybe 125 rpms higher at a given speed in 1st thru 5 th. Will be interesting to see.

Does this mean i have going to hit the rev limiter sooner, but the speed limiter later? :huh: :rofl:
 
hed,

Yeah, I'll get right on that... :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Seeing as how it weighs 30 pounds more it might be slower than a 13 with the same rider aboard. Really not sure how much difference 1 tooth on the rear could make ..maybe 125 rpms higher at a given speed in 1st thru 5 th. Will be interesting to see.

Does this mean i have going to hit the rev limiter sooner, but the speed limiter later? :huh: :rofl:
Now that is simply too much to ponder on a Monday.
 
Personally, I don't ever intend to ride my 2013 bike on motorways for extended periods. I bought the bike to ride on normal roads and enjoy the fine countryside down twisty back roads.

Therefore, an overdrive gear would be virtually unused by me.

I tend to use fourth on most bendy roads, third and second for really tight corners, and only bother with fifth when the speeds get higher or I'm just cruising along, not engaging the corners.

When I was an instructor we used to see a common problem with older boys coming in for advanced training was poor gear selection.

Most would ride a CBR1100 Super Blackbird everywhere in top gear, changing maybe to fourth on tight corners. The upshot of this was No engine braking, thus no way of tightening a line in a corner. This lead to a loose, out of control feeling and made them scared of corners.

I'm not professing to be Keith Code or anything, but I do think most riders use too high a gear for any given situation most of the time.

How many times have you heard the bikes out on a Sunday morning in your neighbourhood do this;

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaap, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaap, bwaaaap, bwap bwapbwp... DRONE ALONG IN TOP....
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
gearingcommander.com will figure out all the ratio sprocket speed rpm combinations for you.
The 2014 CB11 is not yet listed on gearingcommander.com, thanks anyway.
The 2014 CB11 is not yet listed on gearingcommander.com, thanks anyway.
That's too bad. With the right model number it will fill in the stock values for you. If you know the values, you can fill them in manually. you can select a bike that is similar to get an idea of what the changes do by looking at the charts farther down the page.
 
My math works out to be about 2 1/2 percent lower gearing 1-5 on the 14. I doubt you will ever be able to tell the difference. Lets say the 13 runs 4000 @ 70 in 5th the the 14 will run 4100. Nobody will ever notice the difference imo. The ever so slightly lower gearing should over come the little bit of extra weight when accelerating. Again, its so small that I doubt anybody will notice but we will find out soon enough.
 
I selected the 1983 CB1100F in the gearingcommander.com and then changed the sprockets to 18/39. That gave speed at 4000 rpm as 70.5 mph which is very close to our CB1100's.

then if you enter a custom rear sprocket of 40, the new rpm at 70.5 mph is 4102. or the change in speed at 4000 rpm goes from 70.5 to 68.7 mph.

if we knew the 6th gear ratios we could enter it in manually and the program would give a very close estimate to what the 6th gear will do.
 
Thread starter
Can't believe Honda hasn't released a brochure or anything anywhere on the web with the 6th gear ratio by now.
I rented a BMW R1150R once and that was a real overdrive--I'm doing 75 with the rest of San Diego traffic with the engine ticking along barely awake at a little over 3000rpm.

One of the least intelligent metrics US motorcycle magazines focus on is the top-gear roll-on. The mfr's think that's what we all want, but I want a real overdrive. Downshifting to 5th (or 4th) for a little extra squirt when needed ain't that much trouble.

And if the CB edges out the Bonneville, I'll most likely be changing the rear sprock back to a 39. (Heck, OldF7's right; one tooth on the rear ain't even enough to notice, maybe even a 38. If the ol girl's speed sensor is located at the drive shaft, that might even be enough to trick it into 120mph.)
 
Hey, Chris, where are you up to with buying a CB1100?
 
Thread starter
Hey, Cormanus, thus far it's either CB11 or Bonneville T100 with a few mods. So far we're leaning pretty heavily toward the prettier Bonneville, but an honest OVERdrive might be enough to lure me. (But both Triumph and Big-H are lucky that Kawasaki ain't bringing the W800 to my puny, small-minded Isle, because it's a superior bike in every respect.)
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Hey, Cormanus, thus far it's either CB11 or Bonneville T100 with a few mods. So far we're leaning pretty heavily toward the prettier Bonneville, but an honest OVERdrive might be enough to lure me. (But both Triumph and Big-H are lucky that Kawasaki ain't bringing the W800 to my puny, small-minded Isle, because it's a superior bike in every respect.)
I looked hard at the W800 just before I bought the CB1100, but I just couldn't shake my fixation on having an inline 4 just once in my life. It's passion not logic that drives us in these things. The dude who cuts my hair (who, like you is a mad-keen peddler) has just bought a W600. I've not had a chance to look at it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Bonny is sure a good looking bike ...

0aa54b044da64aa261fc072faaf66de9.jpg


As to puny, small-minded islands ... well, that's not a matter for this forum!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
Hey, Cormanus, thus far it's either CB11 or Bonneville T100 with a few mods. So far we're leaning pretty heavily toward the prettier Bonneville, but an honest OVERdrive might be enough to lure me. (But both Triumph and Big-H are lucky that Kawasaki ain't bringing the W800 to my puny, small-minded Isle, because it's a superior bike in every respect.)
I looked hard at the W800 just before I bought the CB1100, but I just couldn't shake my fixation on having an inline 4 just once in my life. It's passion not logic that drives us in these things. The dude who cuts my hair (who, like you is a mad-keen peddler) has just bought a W600. I've not had a chance to look at it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Bonny is sure a good looking bike ...

0aa54b044da64aa261fc072faaf66de9.jpg


As to puny, small-minded islands ... well, that's not a matter for this forum!
Some of us are passionate about logic, doctor.

24143dc214f41ba4d2ecf149293b6475.jpg


(That is a very pretty pic of that Bonnie, but I ain't much into that asphalt-camouflage colour.)
 
Found this info on the 5 speed still looking for 6 speed info

Transmission 5 speed
Transmission gear ratio
1-speed 3.166(38/12)
2-speed 2.062(33/16)
3-speed 1.545(34/22)
4-speed 1.250(25/20)
5-speed (30/29)
Final Drive Chain 2.166 (39/18)
 
The following is translated from the Honda Japan website.

1 speed: 3.083
2-speed: 1.941
3-speed: 1.478
4-speed: 1.240
5-speed: 1.074
6-speed: 0.964
Reduction ratio (primary/secondary): 1.652/2.222
 
Ok thanks to Guth we have the ratios, now one of you smart guys ( not me) can figure out exactly how much difference the additional gear makes.
 
Back
Top