2014 vs. 2013 Gear Ratios (Especially 6th)

calamarichris_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Anyone have any info on the gear ratios of the '14's?

Is the new 6th gear basically an overdrive? Or only slightly higher, with the lower gears re-spread?

Also, has anyone gear their CB11 up higher? It's generally been my experience that a larger engine can handle it just fine, gets better mileage, and even the speedometer becomes more accurate.
 
SuperSprox

As for whether or not 1st through 5th remain the same with only 6th being new, we'll have to see the actual ratios posted somewhere to compare. Until then, I too may try a smaller rear or 1 tooth up on the counter. On a bike with a powerband this wide, there's no real need for closer gear ratios so I would hope that the new "6th" is simply more of an overdrive...
 
Thread starter
For changing a bike's gearing, you can usually find compatible sprockets across models. I use a '03 ZX10R front sprocket on my '02 ZX9R because the mount dimensions are identical, just one more tooth up front.
Sometimes it requires a pair of calipers and a sympathetic parts dept. manager, but it can be done. You have to pretty much do it yourself in these cases; most parts guys will just repeat the company line about sticking with only those original parts on a given bike's fiche, and they won't take a chance on giving even passive consent to using the sprocket from a different model, since they must protect their dealership's liability.

Of course there are aftermarket sprockets, but I generally prefer OEM. I just got ~39,000 problem-free miles out of the ZX-10R OEM front sprocket used with 9R everything else. Probably could have gotten another 10K out of it, in fact, but I noticed there were slightly tight and slightly looser spots on the chain, and prefer to be safe.
GUNFTR_imp said:
SuperSprox

As for whether or not 1st through 5th remain the same with only 6th being new, we'll have to see the actual ratios posted somewhere to compare. Until then, I too may try a smaller rear or 1 tooth up on the counter. On a bike with a powerband this wide, there's no real need for closer gear ratios so I would hope that the new "6th" is simply more of an overdrive...
Edit: Thanks Gunftr, but I really prefer OEM, especially for the front sprockets. They're generally made of better materials, and they take little steps like these rubber noise-dampers that make a pretty huge difference IMO:

4b08974a3f862a13b2d5d803e5002c3a.jpg

b832a2b4690225bda28f3d61fb12a95e.jpg


They have to comply with with EPA/Federal noise restrictions, so it makes sense they'd go through extra measures that the aftermarket doesn't even worry about.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Anyone have any info on the gear ratios of the '14's?

Is the new 6th gear basically an overdrive? Or only slightly higher, with the lower gears re-spread?

Also, has anyone gear their CB11 up higher? It's generally been my experience that a larger engine can handle it just fine, gets better mileage, and even the speedometer becomes more accurate.
IIRC, this came up in another thread. I asked the same question. I believe it was Ferret who stated the 6th gear is indeed an overdrive. Ferret, correct me if I'm wrong.
 
No correction necessary Buffalohead, that is correct. 1st thru 5 th remain the same 6 th is an overdrive
 
I looked into gearing up with a larger front sprocket right after I saw that thread. The stock part is an 18 tooth sprocket. The only OEM sprockets I found for a 530 chain were smaller, there were none larger than 18 teeth. Even the aftermarket sprockets that I found were smaller, not larger.

I would do it in a minute, but, unless someone has come out with a 19 tooth sprocket that fits a CB1100 in the last couple of months, I don't think it's an option.
 
David you could get a 3 tooth smaller rear sprocket and achieve the same effect. However then your chain might be long or you could run out of adjustment. Im not sure about that part of the equation.
 
Thanks for the tip Ferret,

I'm sure that the chain would be too long, and/or probably would run out of adjustment pretty quick. I decided that it would be too much work. :D

I would like the higher gearing, but one would either have to take a couple of links out of the chain, (which I am hesitant to do), or buy a chain, and of course, a rear sprocket. What would be an easy, inexpensive fix, ($30 sprocket), becomes complicated and expensive, ($200+ for a chain and sprocket). All of this assuming the smaller rear sprocket is available. I only checked the Supersprox site for a rear sprocket, but their rear sprockets all get bigger than the stock 39 tooth sprocket. At the end of the day, I'm not dedicated enough for all of that.

Perhaps, if the CB1100 survives a couple (or more) model years, someone will make a 19 tooth front sprocket for it. One could probably have it custom made, but that would likely be expensive as well.
I'm kinda like you and the $50 side covers, they are doable, but when it runs into $200-$300, the original equipment is doing the job. :D
 
Uhh those side covers were $250. At $50 I'd have done it.

The other day I went to the Kwacker shop to order some gaiters. They wanted $53 apiece for them. Like the side covers I wanted them badly, but I can't bring myself to spend over $100 for a couple pieces of rubber that aren't replacement tires lol...so I walked out without ordering them. Not sire how long I can hold out, but I have seen others for much less, but the W650 gaiters are just so nice.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
No correction necessary Buffalohead, that is correct. 1st thru 5 th remain the same 6 th is an overdrive
Delighted to hear it! Source?
Delighted to hear it! Source?
I don't have a link handy, but I remember reading it in the Honda press release last year when the EX was announced.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Uhh those side covers were $250. At $50 I'd have done it.

The other day I went to the Kwacker shop to order some gaiters. They wanted $53 apiece for them. Like the side covers I wanted them badly, but I can't bring myself to spend over $100 for a couple pieces of rubber that aren't replacement tires lol...so I walked out without ordering them. Not sire how long I can hold out, but I have seen others for much less, but the W650 gaiters are just so nice.
Guess I said it backwards, but that's what I meant, they would be doable at $50, but not at $250. Same for me and the sprockets. :)





Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
 
calamarichris_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
No correction necessary Buffalohead, that is correct. 1st thru 5 th remain the same 6 th is an overdrive
Delighted to hear it! Source?
Delighted to hear it! Source?

Look down under item 3 features

http://www.hondanews.eu/en/motorcyclepresspackdetail/?id=3536

Maintaining the benefits of a five-speed gearbox ­­– carefully matched ratios giving good response and acceleration – the new sixth gear is an overdrive, reducing fuel consumption while delivering lower engine rpm at highway speeds. Final drive is by 530 chain.


Lol when are you going to learn to trust me Chris?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
No correction necessary Buffalohead, that is correct. 1st thru 5 th remain the same 6 th is an overdrive
Delighted to hear it! Source?
Delighted to hear it! Source?

Look down under item 3 features

http://www.hondanews.eu/en/motorcyclepresspackdetail/?id=3536

Maintaining the benefits of a five-speed gearbox ­­– carefully matched ratios giving good response and acceleration – the new sixth gear is an overdrive, reducing fuel consumption while delivering lower engine rpm at highway speeds. Final drive is by 530 chain.


Lol when are you going to learn to trust me Chris?
Doveryai no proveryai, comrade.

a908ab5bf473cd553c25eada0ed92b42.jpg

(Trust but verify)
 
Chris no one has a 2014 in their hot little hands yet that I know of.
 
In another thread, CA200 informs us that the 2014 has one more tooth on the rear sprocket (40) than the 2013 (39). I don't know how he was able to determine this, but if true, then yes the overall ratios for gears 1-5 will be different on the 2014. I assume this also means acceleration on the 2014 will be vastly improved over 2013 despite the slight weight gain.

CA200_imp said:
Just checked the 13 14 sprockets , looks like the 14 has a 40 tooth rear instead of a 39. I am still looking for a 37 or a 19 for the 13.
 
Back
Top