2014 CB1100 Right crankcase cover

msundst_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello
I need to remove and reinstall my right crankcase cover and wanted to know if i need to drain the oil and reinstall with a gasket? I assume so but seeing as this is the first time i have worked on a motorcycle im not sure what to expect. i attached a picture for reference. Thanks!!
 
On the right side are the larger clutch cover and the smaller ignition cover. Honda does not use a gasket on either, or on the left side engine cover. Instead, they use a thin bead of liquid, non-drying gasket sealant (3 Bond 1207B). On the ignition cover, be sure to put a bead of sealer in the well where the wires come out of the case cover.

 
Thread starter
Thank you for the advice! Very helpful. Another thing would you guys know where I should look for a seat and exhaust upgrade? Looking for a more comfortable seat and a louder exhaust.
 
If it's the clutch cover you're removing, drain the oil as Power Dubs says, but might be easier doing it on the side stand so residual oil is not constantly dripping across the gasket surface.

Also, for your seat and exhaust questions, I'd search past threads, as there are lots like them. Or start a new thread.
 
One of these days, I need to remove my ignition cover. I get a very slight oil weep out of the top where the wires come through.
For now, I'm calling it "character", and wiping it off after each ride.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
One of these days, I need to remove my ignition cover. I get a very slight oil weep out of the top where the wires come through.
For now, I'm calling it "character", and wiping it off after each ride.
Gone: You speak like a Guzzi owner. :D
 
I had a BSA 750 Triple that did that, only it weeped enough to stain one leg on all my jeans lol
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
One of these days, I need to remove my ignition cover. I get a very slight oil weep out of the top where the wires come through.
For now, I'm calling it "character", and wiping it off after each ride.
Gone: You speak like a Guzzi owner. :D
I imagine anything old and British or Italian would fit that description.

My old forklift leaks. Probably because it has "Lucas" printed on parts of the hydraulic system.
 
Not 100% sure, but I think we had a British bike with Lucas 6V ignition system and 12V battery/lighting??

Also an old/1970 Lambretta 150/175cc had a Magneti-Marelli system with many problems.
:-/
 
Getting back to the Cover. In the service manual it is called the right crankcase cover.

But ignition cover works for me. There are 2 dowel pins to hold it in position. Just banging on the side of it with a mallet is not going to knock it off. It may be “glued” on good or the dowels are stuck. Some prying may be necessary, but be careful not to mess up the cover or mating surface.

One dowel is at the top front between the 1st 2 bolts clockwise from the sensor. The other is diagonal across from it (bottom rear) between bolts 2 and 3 counter clockwise from the sensor.

If you have a manual it is shown in section 17 (ignition section)
 
Thanks, Lord. Didn't know about the dowels. Not sure I want to do any prying. Last time I tried, the engine was cold. Perhaps hot engine may help get it loose.
 
No need to drain the oil before you remove the cover. Just lay the bike down on the opposite side and all the oil will stay in the engine when you remove the cover. :rofl:
 
TX Silver_imp said:
No need to drain the oil before you remove the cover. Just lay the bike down on the opposite side and all the oil will stay in the engine when you remove the cover. :rofl:
Do not laugh :)
I was 2000 km from home and in another country and my clutch cable "hook" slipped off the cable.
The whole successful repair took 2.5 hours and we arrived home safely.
:beerchug:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
TX Silver_imp said:
No need to drain the oil before you remove the cover. Just lay the bike down on the opposite side and all the oil will stay in the engine when you remove the cover. :rofl:
Do not laugh :)
I was 2000 km from home and in another country and my clutch cable "hook" slipped off the cable.
The whole successful repair took 2.5 hours and we arrived home safely.
:beerchug:
Certainly marginally better than the cable end-nub snapping off. That created alotta grief for a Yamaha owner, and the summer hot, humid brilliant sunshine did not help either.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
TX Silver_imp said:
No need to drain the oil before you remove the cover. Just lay the bike down on the opposite side and all the oil will stay in the engine when you remove the cover. :rofl:
Do not laugh :)
I was 2000 km from home and in another country and my clutch cable "hook" slipped off the cable.
The whole successful repair took 2.5 hours and we arrived home safely.
:beerchug:
Do not laugh :)
I was 2000 km from home and in another country and my clutch cable "hook" slipped off the cable.
The whole successful repair took 2.5 hours and we arrived home safely.
:beerchug:
Kinda been there, but snapped cable a long time ago. No way to fix and had to get home. Riding and stopping with no clutch wasn't that bad. Getting rolling to get it into gear was tiring.

Was before cellphones or I would have made a few calls.
 
Back
Top