rboe
Road warrior
What we need is a good ol' oil thread what with Christmas coming up and the Thanksgiving glow fading to dark. :clap:
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Dear Watson,yer missing the entire point herein.The ferret_imp said:Ok let me see if I can explain this to you. Stop and fill up the tank. Then zero your trip meter. Then ride until the red light starts flashing and observe mileage. Continue riding until you feel you should be getting low, and pull into a gas station. Fill up tank. Observe mileage on trip meter. Note how many gallons it took to refill. Divide mileage on trip meter by gallons used to refill and that gives you the gas mileage for that tank. Reset trip meter to zero and you are ready for the next tank.
Once you run a few tanks thru the bike ( I have run many tanks through in the 7000 miles I have put on my CB, unlike the few hundred you say you have put on yours) you learn how far it will go before flashing reserve and how long you can go before needing to stop and fill.
I never open the gas cap between fills. I watch my trip meter instead of the gas gauge ( learned this in the 60's which were pre-gas gauge )and know I can go 135 ish miles on my CB before the red light starts flashing, and can safely go 175 miles before needing to refill ( although I usually refill around the 150 mile mark) and that even then, I should still have 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank, because I have never put more than 3.3 gallons into the 3.9 gallon tank. Ignore the fuel bars..trust your trip meter.
I'm not here to call anyone a liar.Talk about thin skinned.The ferret_imp said:Ok, foolardi, I give. There is just no talking to you. You know everything. You have all the experience. Other members of this board know nothing. Where would we be without your knowledge, wisdom and experience.
Tell you what though, call me a liar one more time, and you will no longer be a member of this board. Fair warning.
The ferret_imp said:Ok, foolardi, I give. There is just no talking to you. You know everything. You have all the experience. Other members of this board know nothing. Where would we be without your knowledge, wisdom and experience.
Tell you what though, call me a liar one more time, and you will no longer be a member of this board. Fair warning.
:beerchug:I had no idear' that I needed to take a Sensitivity TrainingDeanohh_imp said:I wouldn't take their word for it about getting 3.9 gallons out of the tank.
I mean the stated specs are not precise. If you put in 3.5 gal, I wouldn't depend on that you would have been able to use another .4 gals out of the tank.
umm this is simpler than you think oh wise one..._imp said:How did you know when to stop the bike and look inside thedBuster_imp said:I see what ferret is saying that higher math where you have a full tank by looking in the tank not using the gauge on the instrument cluster that has been pointed out by some to be faulty from many magazine quotes, then riding a certain amount of miles then filling up again using the same method of ignoring the gauge.
Now in my old school math I would take the miles traveled divided by the fuel used to get the miles per gallon. Maybe the new math has some formula to factor in a gauge that doesn't need to be factored in as we were not discussing the mileage in relation to the bars on the gauge but rather the mileage in relationship to the amount of gas put in the bike...
But I think we all can agree that the gas gauge, and not in relation to the miles per gallon we are getting, leaves a lot to be desired as it varies from bike to bike with how it functions. And the function of the gas gauge has nothing to do with how much we put in the tank and how many miles we ride on those gallons of gas. The gauge is in my opinion just a tool, albeit not a good one for letting us know if we have gas in the tank or not.
Now back to the miles per gallon. Ferret, I travel 107 miles then put in 2.8 gallons of gas filling to the same point in the tank by visually looking in the tank while I fill. Can you help me out with how many miles per gallon I am getting?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4.2.5 - non pro version.
tank and gauge if the spot was relatively the same area where
you filled the last time.Each time you stop and look inside
the tank requires using the key.So either you had yer spare
key available or you had to physically stop the bike and turn
off.
umm this is simpler than you think oh wise one...dBuster_imp said:umm this is simpler than you think oh wise one..._imp said:How did you know when to stop the bike and look inside thedBuster_imp said:I see what ferret is saying that higher math where you have a full tank by looking in the tank not using the gauge on the instrument cluster that has been pointed out by some to be faulty from many magazine quotes, then riding a certain amount of miles then filling up again using the same method of ignoring the gauge.
Now in my old school math I would take the miles traveled divided by the fuel used to get the miles per gallon. Maybe the new math has some formula to factor in a gauge that doesn't need to be factored in as we were not discussing the mileage in relation to the bars on the gauge but rather the mileage in relationship to the amount of gas put in the bike...
But I think we all can agree that the gas gauge, and not in relation to the miles per gallon we are getting, leaves a lot to be desired as it varies from bike to bike with how it functions. And the function of the gas gauge has nothing to do with how much we put in the tank and how many miles we ride on those gallons of gas. The gauge is in my opinion just a tool, albeit not a good one for letting us know if we have gas in the tank or not.
Now back to the miles per gallon. Ferret, I travel 107 miles then put in 2.8 gallons of gas filling to the same point in the tank by visually looking in the tank while I fill. Can you help me out with how many miles per gallon I am getting?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4.2.5 - non pro version.
tank and gauge if the spot was relatively the same area where
you filled the last time.Each time you stop and look inside
the tank requires using the key.So either you had yer spare
key available or you had to physically stop the bike and turn
off.
I decided to stop and get gas at or about that point in time. Plus the wife on her Scooter gets about 110 miles per gallon and we ride together quite a lot and when she gets gas I top off.
Even if I hadn't just stopped, after my first tank I realized how many miles I can go per so much gas I know when to gas up. My prior bike did not have a fuel gauge so my riding habits about fueling up come from riding that bike...
Better to get gas before needing it than having to need it and not have it.
If it means anything each time I fill up that faulty fuel indicator on the dash has been flashing each time, sometimes it had just started to flash other times it has been flashing for miles. BUT THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE GAUGE. The gauge is just an instrument and has no bearing on your actual miles per gallon. Unless of course it changes the size of your tank and regulates how much fuel it takes to fire in a cylinder and uses more when it feels like....
Wait that must be it! Foolardi, you know of some secret technology that has been built into the bikes in conjunction with the fuel gauge to where the gauge causes either more or less fuel to be consumed per mile traveled!!! Now is this like the rev limiter? Can we disable this new technology you know of?
What kind of gas mileage did you get?! Before and after the re-wire!Deanohh_imp said:That reminds me of when I was on the way back from Sturgis on my old hog. It had quite a good crusing range because I had made the gas tank myself out of a fender from a '41 Buick. It was somewhere around Billings when it started to sputter so I threw the petcock into reserve and the sediment in the bottom of the tank was sucked out and stuck the needle valve so that the carb overflowed and caught fire and burned up the wires, leaving me and the old lady stranded. Luckily, I carried a roll of wire and some butt splices. Borrowed some pliers from the fire department and rewired the basics there on the side of the road so that it would run, but I had no lights. My old lady, who had been struck by lightning the night before while riding all night, was still a little shakey and didn't want to ride the rest of the way, went into town and caught a plane back to Seattle, leaving me to fend for myself. So I fired up that ol pan head, which I had modified to run 4 valve and 2 spark plug heads, and ran it nonstop wide open all the way to Seattle and actually made it to the airport ahead of her plane in time to give her a ride the rest of the way home.
Thats in the owners manual. I think it was quoted earlier in this thread also. If memory serves me right its either .8 or .9 gals._imp said:What's the hells wrong with you'all.Afraid of what this Bike might
tell mommy.How's yuz supposed to know how much fuel is in the
durngull tank.Stick yer finger in thar.Use one them cardboard tongue
depressers like at the doctor's office.
I suppose { actually I don't } the same silly argument can and has
been made to justify a speedo that is way off.
Oh what difference does a speedo make.Or Oh what difference does the
tire gauge make.Or whether you can read those little numbers on
a spark plug feeler if it's all worn down.
Nuthin' makes any real difference.
That's it Danny.Nuthin' and ta hell and back and who gives
a fig.Surely no one's CB 1100's mommy.
I'm not gonna let this CB's fuel gauge beat me.I just have to figure what each
bar translates to and how much is in the tank when the red Warning appears
and when it flashes.Somewhere in the vicinity of 90 + miles
and maybe 114 miles.
Bingo!kenfyoozed_imp said:Thats in the owners manual. I think it was quoted earlier in this thread also. If memory serves me right its either .8 or .9 gals._imp said:What's the hells wrong with you'all.Afraid of what this Bike might
tell mommy.How's yuz supposed to know how much fuel is in the
durngull tank.Stick yer finger in thar.Use one them cardboard tongue
depressers like at the doctor's office.
I suppose { actually I don't } the same silly argument can and has
been made to justify a speedo that is way off.
Oh what difference does a speedo make.Or Oh what difference does the
tire gauge make.Or whether you can read those little numbers on
a spark plug feeler if it's all worn down.
Nuthin' makes any real difference.
That's it Danny.Nuthin' and ta hell and back and who gives
a fig.Surely no one's CB 1100's mommy.
I'm not gonna let this CB's fuel gauge beat me.I just have to figure what each
bar translates to and how much is in the tank when the red Warning appears
and when it flashes.Somewhere in the vicinity of 90 + miles
and maybe 114 miles.
On a side not: Foolardi why are all your post aligned on the left hand side? To me at least, it makes it hard to follow your "train of thought". Maybe that imparts some confusion into the issue.
and yes having a fuel gauge that doesnt tell you how much gas you actually have is a pain. BUT......... with a carbed bike we had a petcock to be able to switch reserve. So use the "unproductive" fuel gauge as the same way. Disregaurd the bars UNTIL!!!! you get to the last blinking bar. That is now your reserve. Look for a fuel station......
Knowing your gas mileage helps to know how far you have with that last bit of gas, for me i know as of now at max i have 30 miles. For others it could be higher or lower depending on their setup, mods, and riding habits.
This is true....ok back on topicdBuster_imp said:Okay I got it, when the fuel gauge flashes you are on reserve.
But the topic of this thread is the miles per gallon the bike gets not the miles per fuel gauge bar or gallons or fractions there of per fuel gauge bar...
If someone is going to figure how much each one of those silly bars represents go for it. Start a different thread with that as the topic, or maybe I will do that.
What does each bar on the fuel gauge represent? Miles or fractions of gas?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4.2.5 - non pro version.
