20 Cheap Motorcycles You Shouldn?t Touch ...

Hmm, there a few bikes on that list I wouldn't mind owning just for the fun of it (or for their value today). I would note this:

About The Author
Long-time writer online with love for movies, TV, comics, cars, video games and a mix of all of the above.

I guess the motorcycling experience comes by way of the video games. If I ever put together my list of "20 Incompetent Online Reviewers To Avoid" I'll be sure to include this person lol.
 
(+1)

Yikes! This particularly ignorant example of clickbait is a reminder to me that everything on the internet should be questioned, especially clickbait.
 
I'll wager that this isn't the first time you are being attributed with hitting the nail on the head Guth, yes some "producers" will try anything, wait till you see their audience.

Once more all the very best and a great deal of respect for what you do Guth:beerchug::thanks:
 
Lame "article" of course, but I click anyway to see new to me bikes...that Kawasaki 500 is sweet...if someone wanted to get rid of that I'd pay cheap for it.

But to include the Honda XR650L? Then you would have to include the KLR650, the Suzuki DR650...all three of which have been used quite a bit over the years for long distance travel across the continents.
 
Thread starter
There are indeed some questionable choices. Nice to see their images dusted off and brought to the forefront for further evaluation and admiration.
 
I had a 1975 purple Kawasaki H 2 , terrible gas mileage and the one thing I did not like was the surging when closing the throttle.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I fell for the last clickbait GO posted about why Honda's are unreliable or some crap like that. I won't be victim of it again. Pass.
Lol yea me either
 
If anyone who looked at that list clicked away on one of the myriad of other articles or ads, their mission is accomplished.
 
Media? Y'all know these lists aren't real, right? They're generated pretty much at random by an aggregator just to get you to click on the other stuff on the page.

We're seeing this one because we spend our time on the interwebs looking at motorcycle stuff, so the aggregator points us to a motorcycle-related "top-ten" list, knowing that we'll click on it.

I'm in the automotive industry, so I always get the "Most men can't name these engine parts" list. Knowing that my manhood has just been challenged, they know I'll click on it.

My wife is in the medical world, so she usually gets the "Top Ten Things Your Doctor Won't Tell You" list. She reads it and starts ranting "There's no way that a doctor wrote this!"

No honey, a doctor didn't write that.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Media? Y'all know these lists aren't real, right? They're generated pretty much at random by an aggregator just to get you to click on the other stuff on the page.

We're seeing this one because we spend our time on the interwebs looking at motorcycle stuff, so the aggregator points us to a motorcycle-related "top-ten" list, knowing that we'll click on it.

I'm in the automotive industry, so I always get the "Most men can't name these engine parts" list. Knowing that my manhood has just been challenged, they know I'll click on it.

My wife is in the medical world, so she usually gets the "Top Ten Things Your Doctor Won't Tell You" list. She reads it and starts ranting "There's no way that a doctor wrote this!"

No honey, a doctor didn't write that.
I didn't notice the advertisements. The layout was quite scroll-able without distraction - at least for me. Maybe I shouldn't have said that ... now they will put back the slideshow layout. :-/

I focused on the images and the commentary, generated and otherwise. The take-away is the opportunity to review the review, compare reader's history against the "writer's" perspective (regardless of the possibility that little is authentic), and enjoy reflection of the images. This Forum continues to do its part of reviewing, calling out and express a spectrum of opinions regarding the bikes, the review (or lack thereof).

I still think there is value calling out the review since it is pretty stark (or more correctly, dubious), and hence, the reason for the post. Some Forum members have expressed this, and is in part, an expected response.

- - -

I will add your response, in part, is the value this thread facilitates.
 
When I was in advertising, I used to work with the guys who generate those things. To your point, Gold, when they first started populating our internet landscape, they were so fully crammed with ads that people clicked off of the surveys after a few minutes, especially when the ads contained a fake "Next" or an arrow shape, as you would think you were going to the next item on the list, but were instead redirected to an ad for something you weren't interested in. They've realized that to maximize the time people will spend on the pages, they have to be less invasive and easier to read. More eyeball time on a page increases the likelihood that you'll become interested in whatever else is on the page and click on something else.

Don't get me wrong, they're fun to read, but having been in the slimy bowels of the advertising world, I read them with the veneer of what those lists are trying to get us to do. And, apologies if my soul-crushing past in the world of trying to sell us all stuff we don't need taints my opinion on these things..
 
Thread starter
Hey Gin60: This discussion is all good. I work in the tech industry, so yeah, long aware of the revenue from click-thru. I have colleagues who make their living leveraging the click-behaviour of users (*bleck*).

I chose this URL essentially for the contrasting gross commentary. Sometimes there are some interesting tidbits. Other times, " ... wha the heck are they saying?" As Forum enthusiasts, it is always useful to be aware and have some fun doing it.
 
Thanks for your understanding. Between insurance and advertising, I figured that my career was full of enough angst to make me a good stand up comedian. So far, I'm a museum tour guide, so at least I have an audience.

Collectively, I know people who own at least half of the bikes on that list, who would be appalled that their machines were chosen as untouchable...
 
Back
Top