1st Ride 2014

Thread starter
Red Mist_imp said:
Nice. Looks like just the setup for your part of the world.
Spot on with that Red Mist, Cb perfect for UK back roads, came home via m, way noticed it suffered with a touch of vibration at 3400 rpm in top gear.
Footrests a touch to far back, but all in all its a fabulous bike and reminds of my old Cbk1
Which I, m pleased about..
 
Mick65_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
Nice. Looks like just the setup for your part of the world.
Spot on with that Red Mist, Cb perfect for UK back roads, came home via m, way noticed it suffered with a touch of vibration at 3400 rpm in top gear.
Footrests a touch to far back, but all in all its a fabulous bike and reminds of my old Cbk1
Which I, m pleased about..
Spot on with that Red Mist, Cb perfect for UK back roads, came home via m, way noticed it suffered with a touch of vibration at 3400 rpm in top gear.
Footrests a touch to far back, but all in all its a fabulous bike and reminds of my old Cbk1
Which I, m pleased about..
Is this your first ride in 2014...or your first
ride on your 2014?
 
Pretty bike, neat canal. Man you guys have some honkin license plates.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty bike, neat canal. Man you guys have some honkin license plates.
FTFY. :excited: :banana: :rofl:
 
soggybottom_imp said:
The boats look interesting, what is their purpose, tours? Tell us about the area please. And your bike looks great!
Yes, please. Where in England are you?
 
soggybottom_imp said:
The boats look interesting, what is their purpose, tours? Tell us about the area please. And your bike looks great!
I'm not the op but lived in the UK for a few years and can answer the boat question. They are called Canal Boats. They're like houseboats in North America. Most of them are fully equipped with kitchen, beds, bathroom. Some even have a wood stove for heat. Some people live on theirs, others use them only occasionally and there are many firms that rent them out. We rented a 60 footer once and it was a blast. The canal system in the UK is extensive passing by towns, beautiful scenery, restaurants and lots of canal-side pubs! You (better) quickly learn how to manage the mostly manually operated locks and plan where to turn around! I highly recommend it if your trip there allows.

I found this picture online for a little more added incentive for the folks on this board.

d9e7e2501eee7574e2344f6d02c5bed6.jpg
 
Thread starter
Canals first started in the Industrial Revolution, about 250yrs ago, before roads and trains, and moved coal, steel, etc.
The boat was pulled by horses from the towpaths, my bike in the pics is standing on one.
Tha canals cover from the north to the south of england and entire families used to live and work on these boats.
The canals were dug by hand thru hills and is a closed system so it does, nt flood. To go up and down hills you go into Locks, small holding area which rise and fall some 15ft.
As Dale says the canals past through some of Englands most beautiful country side. The pics I took are about 8mls from home, I live in the centre approx, of England, about 120mls north of London in a little ex coal mining area called Swadlincote.
2yrs ago my daughter and I went to America, visiting Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, Memhis, New Orleans. My wife will not fly that far unfortunately.
I have also been to The Guitar Show at Anaheim in 2007.
Next on my bucket list would have to be Monument Valley its looks fabulous.
Regards Mick.
 
Great photo, Dale, thanks.

Thanks for more info, Mick. There's something about England's canals being amongst the most extensive in Europe, but I can't quite remember.
 
Mick if you are going to see Monument Valley plan on spending 2 weeks and seeing the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Zion Canyon, Arches Natl Park, Canyon Lands, all close by and all unforgettable.
 
Thread starter
The ferret' pid='27627' dateline='1392896506 said:
Mick if you are going to see Monument Valley plan on spending 2 weeks and seeing the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Zion Canyon, Arches Natl Park, Canyon Lands, all close by and all unforgettable.
[/quote

Thanks, that all sounds awesome.
The ferret' pid='27627' dateline='1392896506 said:
Mick if you are going to see Monument Valley plan on spending 2 weeks and seeing the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Zion Canyon, Arches Natl Park, Canyon Lands, all close by and all unforgettable.
[/quote

Thanks, that all sounds awesome.
 
Dale_imp said:
soggybottom_imp said:
The boats look interesting, what is their purpose, tours? Tell us about the area please. And your bike looks great!
I'm not the op but lived in the UK for a few years and can answer the boat question. They are called Canal Boats. They're like houseboats in North America. Most of them are fully equipped with kitchen, beds, bathroom. Some even have a wood stove for heat. Some people live on theirs, others use them only occasionally and there are many firms that rent them out. We rented a 60 footer once and it was a blast. The canal system in the UK is extensive passing by towns, beautiful scenery, restaurants and lots of canal-side pubs! You (better) quickly learn how to manage the mostly manually operated locks and plan where to turn around! I highly recommend it if your trip there allows.

I found this picture online for a little more added incentive for the folks on this board.

d9e7e2501eee7574e2344f6d02c5bed6.jpg
I'm not the op but lived in the UK for a few years and can answer the boat question. They are called Canal Boats. They're like houseboats in North America. Most of them are fully equipped with kitchen, beds, bathroom. Some even have a wood stove for heat. Some people live on theirs, others use them only occasionally and there are many firms that rent them out. We rented a 60 footer once and it was a blast. The canal system in the UK is extensive passing by towns, beautiful scenery, restaurants and lots of canal-side pubs! You (better) quickly learn how to manage the mostly manually operated locks and plan where to turn around! I highly recommend it if your trip there allows.

I found this picture online for a little more added incentive for the folks on this board.

c067272154fe85dcbf9529a84bdd9a64.jpg

Guy Martin the exuberant TT racer rebuilt a long boat with his mate as part of his TV series, appears to be quite a character. The canals were basically built by labourers called navigation engineers which is where the term "navvy" comes from. Biggest canal from memory would be the Manchester Ship Canal; has been called other things I believe.
 
Back
Top