17K Mile Dealer Check

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Used my last vacation to have the dealer perform their 16K mile check on my CB1100 which has 17K miles. I originally asked for a valve check(adjust) and spark plugs, but dealer said just about same price to do their standard 16K mile check.
Anyway, valve check was fine, all at upper limit of spec, new plugs, air filter and brakes all around.
After picking it up, seems a little snappier, maybe due to plugs, but the big difference I notice is in the new found stopping power, the EBC brakes( not Honda OEM) seem to grip 15/20% more than when I dropped it off, so that was a bonus.
Guess I'm good for another 17/20K miles before next valve check.
Still loving my 13" CB1100 with its ECU flash from years ago.
Especially after my Bermuda trip where I was reduced to a 50cc moped!
 
Thread starter
memphismike_imp said:
Anything done with the Chain on this Service Interval?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, not that I know of, I spray it with Maxima Chain Wax every 500 miles, cleaned it once last year, and maybe adjusted it 2 or 3 times since new...
 
I replaced mine at 19,102 miles.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
Did you really wear your brake pads out in 17k miles?
He said they were less than 20%..before I left, I said feel free to replace or fix anything that won't last another 3K miles or rest of this riding season. If I was doing it myself, I would have waited til the last possible mile.
 
I replaced my rear pad set at 8K miles after buying the bike used with 7K miles. Fronts were fine. Fast forward to my 26K service and the rear was due for replacement again but the fronts still looked good. I obviously use compression braking a lot more than the previous owner.
 
Hiker..two quick questions

Did the shop have spark plugs in stock? and what did they charge you for them?

What are the part numbers of the brake pads you used? Some may be interested.

Wait that might be 3 questions lol

I would think all of the above info would be on your receipt if you don't know off top of head.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Hiker..two quick questions

Did the shop have spark plugs in stock? and what did they charge you for them?

What are the part numbers of the brake pads you used? Some may be interested.

Wait that might be 3 questions lol

I would think all of the above info would be on your receipt if you don't know off top of head.
I had them order the Honda OEM parts in advance of me dropping it off since they were not in stock.
4 plugs 31908-mgc-003 $80
Head Cover Gasket 12391-mgc-010 $46
Mounting rubber x8 90543-mv9-670 $40
Air Cleaner 17210-mej-981 $60
EBC Brake Pads
- Front FA296HH X2 $80
- Rear FA174HH $40
 
Thanks

wow $46 for a head cover gasket and $ 40 for mounting rubbers wow (they couldn't use the old ones?)

Think I might order those and have them in stock for when mine needs them
 
Unless the cam cover gasket was damaged it should have been reused along with the other parts as recommended in the Honda service manual. Hope that was the case.
 
Some dealerships replace all the seals and gaskets as a routine procedure to avoid any leaks and "comebacks" after performing the service. My dealer would have replaced these, but as I did the work myself, I reused all the camshaft cover seals. The left side began to seep just slightly so there is some logic in replacing them.
 
Thread starter
When I came in weeks before we discussed the gaskets, I lean towards replacing them and would rather pay now then spend my time coming back if they do leak, he said they could do either but was glad I wanted new gaskets.
 
My dealer said if they open the brake or clutch res. they use new gaskets as they do not want to have to pay for a new tank or plastic parts if the old one leaks. They said it does happen. So, even though I didn't see anything wrong with mine, I changed them when I flushed the brakes and clutch.
 
Back
Top