17" Wheel Conversion

mjezek_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Searched for it and found no results ....

Has anyone here converted his CB with 17" wheels ?
I know it has been done in the past and I was wondering what it takes. Do I need a complete new front setup ? forks, triple clamp, ...
Which other Honda Motorcycle might be a good donor ?

One reason is, I want to ride her on the track and there is not really a lot of sticky rubber in 18" out there ....
 
Get your flack shield ready...

I've never seen it done but money can make anything happen. I'd be curious about a fort swap on our bikes, I'm not a fan of the front suspension...
 
mjezek_imp said:
Searched for it and found no results ....

Has anyone here converted his CB with 17" wheels ?
I know it has been done in the past and I was wondering what it takes. Do I need a complete new front setup ? forks, triple clamp, ...
Which other Honda Motorcycle might be a good donor ?

One reason is, I want to ride her on the track and there is not really a lot of sticky rubber in 18" out there ....
Special road surface on track should be sticky enough for available rubber in 18", considering what one could do with a CB 1100. It has just 90 hp, not over 160 hp.

The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve. With 17" you could lean even less.

I don't know, if this is a good idea.
 
So, sounds like smaller wheels ain't in the best interests of making track racers out of the beloved CB1100, but maybe small front wheels might look good on, quess what, that's right, the Easy Rider 1100. Wonder if anyone has considered an Easy Rider conversion for the CB1100, I would see some in the 70s with raked front ends and peanut tanks and tall handle bars and nice chrome sissy bars two feet high. That four cylinder 750 engine in a chopper conversion was simply awesome. But not for me...or maybe so. The chain drive and lack of water cooling makes it one of the better options for a conversion and air cooling fins makes it look natural. But I fear I am getting a little off the original thread direction.
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
mjezek_imp said:
Searched for it and found no results ....

Has anyone here converted his CB with 17" wheels ?
I know it has been done in the past and I was wondering what it takes. Do I need a complete new front setup ? forks, triple clamp, ...
Which other Honda Motorcycle might be a good donor ?

One reason is, I want to ride her on the track and there is not really a lot of sticky rubber in 18" out there ....
Special road surface on track should be sticky enough for available rubber in 18", considering what one could do with a CB 1100. It has just 90 hp, not over 160 hp.

The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve. With 17" you could lean even less.

I don't know, if this is a good idea.
Special road surface on track should be sticky enough for available rubber in 18", considering what one could do with a CB 1100. It has just 90 hp, not over 160 hp.

The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve. With 17" you could lean even less.

I don't know, if this is a good idea.
I respect your opinion .... let's leave it like that ....
 
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
 
Some guys are actually able to do this on the street. Not me. If I ever hear scraping noises, I'm pretty sure I've gone down and am sliding on it's side.
 
NightRider_imp said:
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.
The ferret_imp said:
Some guys are actually able to do this on the street. Not me. If I ever hear scraping noises, I'm pretty sure I've gone down and am sliding on it's side.
That's the way I want to ride with this CB and at my age. I expect never to scrap unless I scew up on an approach. Thanks for the reply.
 
NightRider_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.
The ferret_imp said:
Some guys are actually able to do this on the street. Not me. If I ever hear scraping noises, I'm pretty sure I've gone down and am sliding on it's side.
That's the way I want to ride with this CB and at my age. I expect never to scrap unless I scew up on an approach. Thanks for the reply.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.
Day's like that I'd love a sportbike. And when I've done 400 and 500 mile days I would have loved to be on a more touring oriented bike. But when I commute I'd love to be on something sub 400lbs that got 70+ MPG. And when I go grocery shopping I wish I had a car.

But since I was looking for a bike that would be easy to live with as my only mode of transportation, I bought the CB. :biker:

That said, I've got room in the garage...
 
kevbroce_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
Quote:The foot pegs and then the exhaust scratch the ground very early anyway in the curve.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.
The ferret_imp said:
Some guys are actually able to do this on the street. Not me. If I ever hear scraping noises, I'm pretty sure I've gone down and am sliding on it's side.
That's the way I want to ride with this CB and at my age. I expect never to scrap unless I scew up on an approach. Thanks for the reply.
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.
Day's like that I'd love a sportbike. And when I've done 400 and 500 mile days I would have loved to be on a more touring oriented bike. But when I commute I'd love to be on something sub 400lbs that got 70+ MPG. And when I go grocery shopping I wish I had a car.

But since I was looking for a bike that would be easy to live with as my only mode of transportation, I bought the CB. :biker:

That said, I've got room in the garage...
What? Are you sure? I bought this thing rather than a cruiser, like a Victory Kingpin, white with silver highlights, because it should corner like a UJM Standard bike, which is considerably better at cornering without scraping hard parts, I thought, pretty sure. You mean on the track?
My pegs are worn and my Yoshimura RS-3 pipe has touched down as well.
Have you considered a sportbike? One of those Italian bikes with high pegs and pipes tucked under the seat. Aprilia makes nice ones like that. I seriously considered one until realizing I should not gofast through curves at my age and should just get something to cruise on that I can use on low speed curves without touching down like one would do on a low cruiser.
Day's like that I'd love a sportbike. And when I've done 400 and 500 mile days I would have loved to be on a more touring oriented bike. But when I commute I'd love to be on something sub 400lbs that got 70+ MPG. And when I go grocery shopping I wish I had a car.

But since I was looking for a bike that would be easy to live with as my only mode of transportation, I bought the CB. :biker:

That said, I've got room in the garage...
Sounds like a plan...
 
Ok...there's got to be more to the 17" wheel idea than I am supposing, but wouldn't changing from an 18" wheel to a 17" wheel only lower the bike by 1/2 inch? If that's true, and it may not be, clearance issues wouldnt change that much, especially if you lost the peg feelers. All that said, I'm not convinced that changing the wheel size would really make a big difference at the track. Might you not be better off working on the suspension and power? Pretty sure that you can find tires that will be sticky enough to keep this particular bike on the track. Of course, I'm probably completely incorrect on my premise...sooooo
 
IMO, the stock rubber probably surpasses the ability of the bike and 95% of its riders, even at a track day. And I've done a lot of track days on totally stock street bikes :D Check out the cover photo on my personal FaceBook page under my name: James Lucia.
 
Thread starter
Sorry, I could not resist ...:D:D
If you guys are interested, I could give you a simple rundown on some basics regarding bike geometry, riding position and suspension.
As a teaser, every wondered why a motorcycle turns, despite the front wheel is perfectly straight ( looking at all those cool knee dragging shots in magazines or on your computer ... ?)
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
IMO, the stock rubber probably surpasses the ability of the bike and 95% of its riders, even at a track day. And I've done a lot of track days on totally stock street bikes :D Check out the cover photo on my personal FaceBook page under my name: James Lucia.
1000% agreed considering riding on public roads and no matter what skill level :clap::clap::clap:
 
LOL...I'll pass on your geometry lesson mjezek, but thanks ever so much. I don't know much, but I do know a little about how two wheeled vehicles turn. I'm sure you're a much better rider than am I and probably know just gobs more about tracking a bike. You probably know more than just about anyone on this forum...which begs the question: why are you asking US for advice? You should just put all that geometry and experience to work, get yourself some suspension pieces, smaller wheels, and any other super cool parts that will make your CB the niftiest one ever...and then post the pics. I for one would love to see what you come up with. Good luck to you.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
LOL...I'll pass on your geometry lesson mjezek, but thanks ever so much. I don't know much, but I do know a little about how two wheeled vehicles turn. I'm sure you're a much better rider than am I and probably know just gobs more about tracking a bike. You probably know more than just about anyone on this forum...which begs the question: why are you asking US for advice? You should just put all that geometry and experience to work, get yourself some suspension pieces, smaller wheels, and any other super cool parts that will make your CB the niftiest one ever...and then post the pics. I for one would love to see what you come up with. Good luck to you.
yeah ! we are finally back to my original question about the 17 incher and if anyone has done it or if there is a compatible honda with 17" out there ?
And yes, I do not want to bother anyone either with technical stuff ... I just love anything with 2 wheels with or without engine ....
 
WIN THIS CUSTOM HONDA CB1100!

all you need to convert to 17 inchers are brackets for the brakes calipers and rotors. Stock forks can still be used.

Check out the Ride for Kids Custom Honda CB1100FS, They used 17 inch Bst Carbons wheels which is a grip of money but if money is no object than can't wait for the final product !

If you start tracking your CB I would be down to go out for a trackday or two... Cheers!
 
mjezek_imp said:
Sorry, I could not resist ...:D:D
If you guys are interested, I could give you a simple rundown on some basics regarding bike geometry, riding position and suspension.
As a teaser, every wondered why a motorcycle turns, despite the front wheel is perfectly straight ( looking at all those cool knee dragging shots in magazines or on your computer ... ?)
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
IMO, the stock rubber probably surpasses the ability of the bike and 95% of its riders, even at a track day. And I've done a lot of track days on totally stock street bikes :D Check out the cover photo on my personal FaceBook page under my name: James Lucia.
1000% agreed considering riding on public roads and no matter what skill level :clap::clap::clap:
1000% agreed considering riding on public roads and no matter what skill level :clap::clap::clap:
This is very common in period 5 racing were every cb1100 / katana /Kawasaki runs 17 inch wheels and where talking over 100 plus of them at the island classic so no different then you doing it a current cb1100 you might want to check out the last of the right way up cbr600rr front ends it would a fairly simple swap / for the rear same bike use the rear you will have to play around getting machine work for the spacing re rear sprocket again easy than it looks have just had one of my mechanics do such a swap to an early cb1100 track bike extra clearance no issue as longer shocks rear sets etc
 
lola_imp said:
WIN THIS CUSTOM HONDA CB1100!

all you need to convert to 17 inchers are brackets for the brakes calipers and rotors. Stock forks can still be used.

Check out the Ride for Kids Custom Honda CB1100FS, They used 17 inch Bst Carbons wheels which is a grip of money but if money is no object than can't wait for the final product !

If you start tracking your CB I would be down to go out for a trackday or two... Cheers!
They did such an awesome job with that bike.
 
mjezek' pid='73765' dateline='1423108582 said:
As a teaser, every wondered why a motorcycle turns, despite the front wheel is perfectly straight
Motogeezer1949' pid='73764' dateline='1423108464 said:
Coning principal
 
Back
Top