'17 EX tank design

Nicely played W/R :thumbsup:

I'd probably change a couple things on my DLX but very minor. I love black bikes with silver motors and wheels so I would go with black paint, no stripes on existing tank and side covers (although I can certainly live with the beautiful red I have now). I also would like the larger turn signals off the 13 model. Other than that don't think I would change anything else.
 
Thread starter
baxtercat_imp said:
This forum would be the last place Honda's marketing department would poll: it is populated by owners, the vast majority of which own pre-17 bikes, which means their stated preferences about tank shape would be colored by already owning another tank shape and not wanting to think about what owning the new tank shape would entail, financially and psychologically. Which it to say, we might be expected to be a statistical group particularly resistant to its charms. Pre-17 owners have already voted with their wallets (though of course they voted for things besides a tank), have gotten used to their choice (or would have traded it in by now for a Triumph), and confirmational bias suggests they will now want to defend that commitment, except for those few who joined the two bike club. Honda would be unwise to build any kind of business plan on that latter demographic.
A valid point, but the "last place"? Not if I were on the marketing team for this bike, if a marketing team for the CB1100 even exists! : )

I think they (whoever that might be) are in fact interested in mc forums and what owners have to say about their products both before a particular change is made and after. As VLJ has pointed out in his in-depth reviews, the '17EX underwent substantial changes. What motivated the design people to carry these out? Do they rely on motorcycle journalists' opinions? Do they read mc forums? Do they have their own unbiased mc testers? Do they primarily consider the Asian / European market feedback and the U.S. is an afterthought?

I'd love to be sitting in the room where they decide how real changes are made from one model year to the next.
 
pdedse_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
This forum would be the last place Honda's marketing department would poll: it is populated by owners, the vast majority of which own pre-17 bikes, which means their stated preferences about tank shape would be colored by already owning another tank shape and not wanting to think about what owning the new tank shape would entail, financially and psychologically. Which it to say, we might be expected to be a statistical group particularly resistant to its charms. Pre-17 owners have already voted with their wallets (though of course they voted for things besides a tank), have gotten used to their choice (or would have traded it in by now for a Triumph), and confirmational bias suggests they will now want to defend that commitment, except for those few who joined the two bike club. Honda would be unwise to build any kind of business plan on that latter demographic.
A valid point, but the "last place"? Not if I were on the marketing team for this bike, if a marketing team for the CB1100 even exists! : )

I think they (whoever that might be) are in fact interested in mc forums and what owners have to say about their products both before a particular change is made and after. As VLJ has pointed out in his in-depth reviews, the '17EX underwent substantial changes. What motivated the design people to carry these out? Do they rely on motorcycle journalists' opinions? Do they read mc forums? Do they have their own unbiased mc testers? Do they primarily consider the Asian / European market feedback and the U.S. is an afterthought?

I'd love to be sitting in the room where they decide how real changes are made from one model year to the next.
It would be interesting to know. I'd like to be sitting there too, only not sure I could keep my mouth shut :rofl:

Ok now I'm going for a ride. Be back later to catch up.
 
pdedse_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
This forum would be the last place Honda's marketing department would poll: it is populated by owners, the vast majority of which own pre-17 bikes, which means their stated preferences about tank shape would be colored by already owning another tank shape and not wanting to think about what owning the new tank shape would entail, financially and psychologically. Which it to say, we might be expected to be a statistical group particularly resistant to its charms. Pre-17 owners have already voted with their wallets (though of course they voted for things besides a tank), have gotten used to their choice (or would have traded it in by now for a Triumph), and confirmational bias suggests they will now want to defend that commitment, except for those few who joined the two bike club. Honda would be unwise to build any kind of business plan on that latter demographic.
A valid point, but the "last place"? Not if I were on the marketing team for this bike, if a marketing team for the CB1100 even exists! : )

I think they (whoever that might be) are in fact interested in mc forums and what owners have to say about their products both before a particular change is made and after. As VLJ has pointed out in his in-depth reviews, the '17EX underwent substantial changes. What motivated the design people to carry these out? Do they rely on motorcycle journalists' opinions? Do they read mc forums? Do they have their own unbiased mc testers? Do they primarily consider the Asian / European market feedback and the U.S. is an afterthought?

I'd love to be sitting in the room where they decide how real changes are made from one model year to the next.
A valid point, but the "last place"? Not if I were on the marketing team for this bike, if a marketing team for the CB1100 even exists! : )

I think they (whoever that might be) are in fact interested in mc forums and what owners have to say about their products both before a particular change is made and after. As VLJ has pointed out in his in-depth reviews, the '17EX underwent substantial changes. What motivated the design people to carry these out? Do they rely on motorcycle journalists' opinions? Do they read mc forums? Do they have their own unbiased mc testers? Do they primarily consider the Asian / European market feedback and the U.S. is an afterthought?

I'd love to be sitting in the room where they decide how real changes are made from one model year to the next. perhaps. but more than present owners' opinions, the Honda execs are interested in selling bikes. just count the number of '17 owners here who traded in a pre-'17 to get it, and I think you'll agree that does not represent a sizable block of buyers. (does include me btw.) the earlier bikes are too good and still too new, and market for them largely satisfied, to think that there would any kind of real potential for buyers among existing owners. If they were going after anything, it is potential R9T buyers or Z900RS buyers. they will be interested in forum members' opinions only insofar that they can improve their bikes and make the new ones competitive in the marketplace for mostly non-owners.
 
I disagree. Based on the CB's original design spec, I can't imagine chasing prospective RNineT or Z900RS owners would be logical. A prospective T120, V7, or Sportster customer would probably represent a more similar target demographic (attracted to brand heritage, more interested in a bike's character than its outright performance). The BMW and Kawi seem too contemporary and not as "authentic."
 
fair enough. the moto magazines tend to put it into comparison tests with the BMW and the Triumph--not so much the Sporty or V7--which suggests those are the bikes they see as its potential alternatives. I've not seen a comparison with the Kawa, either because, as you say, different buyer demographics, or because it's still too early for such a test to have appeared. in any case, we seem to agree on the larger point, which is that it is competition with other manufacturers' bikes that is on Honda's mind, and less the tastes of present CB owners. the poll is fun--in the way that arguing over vodka vs gin martinis is fun, as Ferret so deftly illustrates for us--but it isn't likely to arrive at meaningful data about anything. [insert dead horse emoji here.]
 
pdedse, in regards to whether Honda's product planners listen to the motojournos and forum comments, the one item about which we can be certain they took to heart was the oft-repeated criticism of the previous models' seamed tank. For the 2017 model Honda specifically addressed this complaint, touting in no uncertain terms the upgrade to an all-new seamless tank.

They listened. They responded.

I think it's safe to say that the creation of the RS model was a similar attempt to answer all those requests from the peanut gallery for a sportier CB. Unfortunately, Honda proved willing only to dip a toe in that particular pond. They didn't step up and definitively answer the criticism with a significantly lighter, more powerful, much sportier model. Instead, they simply gave their new "sportier" model smaller wheels and a few suspension/brake upgrades, and called it a day.
 
baxtercat_imp said:
fair enough. the moto magazines tend to put it into comparison tests with the BMW and the Triumph--not so much the Sporty or V7--which suggests those are the bikes they see as its potential alternatives. I've not seen a comparison with the Kawa, either because, as you say, different buyer demographics, or because it's still too early for such a test to have appeared. in any case, we seem to agree on the larger point, which is that it is competition with other manufacturers' bikes that is on Honda's mind, and less the tastes of present CB owners. the poll is fun--in the way that arguing over vodka vs gin martinis is fun, as Ferret so deftly illustrates for us--but it isn't likely to arrive at meaningful data about anything. [insert dead horse emoji here.]
No question -- I completely agree with you. And then they quickly extol the virtues of the BMW's superior torque and handling, which to me is kinda missing the point. These head-to-head reviews typically conclude with, "why did Honda only give the CB 85 hp? Certainly this mill could pump out 100-110 hp." I'm not convinced that's the customer Honda is trying to attract.
 
But it ought to be, along with the much smaller audience it already attracts. It's not an either/or situation. Honda could easily attract both types of customers.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Ferret. I’m begging you. We need a dead horse emoji ASAP!

Lol that would be in Guth's job description

For the record, I just had a superb 100.5 mile ride lol
 
At the risk of contradicting myself, sometimes I think our speculations are too much driven by market logic. Back in its heyday, Honda offered an amazing number of different models, and introduced new models each year at a rate that defied the imperative of profit alone. It was so dominant in the marketplace that it COULD experiment. Some auto companies, like Lotus, have always been motivated more by a quest to see what could be done with good engineering than by a bottom line. The CB1100 seems like a prestige project for Honda--an homage to its own history and motorcycling's past, a testament to its brilliant designers and engineers, a statement of sorts about what a modern-day retro bike can be. If you listen to the people on the original team, pride in taking up such a challenge and doing it well seems to have been a driver. Who in their right mind would propose a project for a fairly expensive, heavy, air- and -oil cooled I4, one that needed its own new factory and castings, in the face of impending Euro regulations? I've never seen sales figures for the bike, let alone a comparison of North American sales vs the world, but the fact that a re-design even happened suggests the project was not a total loss, nor, as we've surmised, all that popular. But I don't think either iteration was because of consumers and their demands alone. The fly-on-the-wall that Pdedse would like to have been probably witnessed the engineers and designers arguing in furious Japanese with the money people, sales figures in hand. We're just lucky that the money people didn't kill the project on the drawing board.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
pdedse, in regards to whether Honda's product planners listen to the motojournos and forum comments, the one item about which we can be certain they took to heart was the oft-repeated criticism of the previous models' seamed tank. For the 2017 model Honda specifically addressed this complaint, touting in no uncertain terms the upgrade to an all-new seamless tank.

They listened. They responded.

I think it's safe to say that the creation of the RS model was a similar attempt to answer all those requests from the peanut gallery for a sportier CB. Unfortunately, Honda proved willing only to dip a toe in that particular pond. They didn't step up and definitively answer the criticism with a significantly lighter, more powerful, much sportier model. Instead, they simply gave their new "sportier" model smaller wheels and a few suspension/brake upgrades, and called it a day.
Undoubtedly. And I'm glad they did. I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that I like for a bike to have something funky on it, something that stands out, I mean, it can't be too crazy, but noticeable...the tank does that for me. I look at it, I almost love it from one angle, I question the decision seen from another angle, I appreciate its paint quality when the sun hits it...wow! It's liquid...and then go for a ride and I forget all my nonsense about the tank...and simply enjoy being on a CB1100 again.

In the end, the poll here is for fun.
baxtercat_imp said:
At the risk of contradicting myself, sometimes I think our speculations are too much driven by market logic. Back in its heyday, Honda offered an amazing number of different models, and introduced new models each year at a rate that defied the imperative of profit alone. It was so dominant in the marketplace that it COULD experiment. Some auto companies, like Lotus, have always been motivated more by a quest to see what could be done with good engineering than by a bottom line. The CB1100 seems like a prestige project for Honda--an homage to its own history and motorcycling's past, a testament to its brilliant designers and engineers, a statement of sorts about what a modern-day retro bike can be. If you listen to the people on the original team, pride in taking up such a challenge and doing it well seems to have been a driver. Who in their right mind would propose a project for a fairly expensive, heavy, air- and -oil cooled I4, one that needed its own new factory and castings, in the face of impending Euro regulations? I've never seen sales figures for the bike, let alone a comparison of North American sales vs the world, but the fact that a re-design even happened suggests the project was not a total loss, nor, as we've surmised, all that popular. But I don't think either iteration was because of consumers and their demands alone. The fly-on-the-wall that Pdedse would like to have been probably witnessed the engineers and designers arguing in furious Japanese with the money people, sales figures in hand. We're just lucky that the money people didn't kill the project on the drawing board.
Very true. I try to imagine--knowing how I feel about the CB1100--wanting to purchase a new bike and NOT having it available as an option...a very real possibility. I guess this is why I decided to move now on a '17 instead of waiting to see if unsold '17s would be available at slightly better prices in November.
 
remember.... this bike was not designed for America...or Europe. This bike was designed for the homeland where it must be a rousing success to support the large aftermarket for accessories there. The Japanese were understandably proud of the air cooled inline 4 they made which ruled the world for 2 decades. The original designer said he was 45 and looked around and there were no more bikes that appealed to him (and his generation of Japanese riders) hence the CB1100 project came to fruition. I don't think they really care if a few Euros or Americanos are excited about the bike or not. As long as the homeland riders are happy (and 8 years of production and a strong aftermarket would indicate that they are), that is probably good enough for Honda. I'm actually surprised they are updating it for us as often as they are. Many Honda models go 10-20 years with no changes other than bold new graphics and new paint colors. The original CB 750 from 1968-1978. The ST 1300 from 2004-2012. The Goldwing from 2002-2016? Some models never changed through their entire production runs.
 
The ferret_imp said:
remember.... this bike was not designed for America...or Europe. This bike was designed for the homeland where it must be a rousing success to support the large aftermarket for accessories there. The Japanese were understandably proud of the air cooled inline 4 they made which ruled the world for 2 decades. The original designer said he was 45 and looked around and there were no more bikes that appealed to him (and his generation of Japanese riders) hence the CB1100 project came to fruition. I don't think they really care if a few Euros or Americanos are excited about the bike or not. As long as the homeland riders are happy (and 8 years of production and a strong aftermarket would indicate that they are), that is probably good enough for Honda. I'm actually surprised they are updating it for us as often as they are. Many Honda models go 10-20 years with no changes other than bold new graphics and new paint colors. The original CB 750 from 1968-1978. The ST 1300 from 2004-2012. The Goldwing from 2002-2016? Some models never changed through their entire production runs.
Yep. The last gen CB750 Nighthawk sold in small numbers from '91 - '03. They were mechanically identical throughout the run.

The Euro/Japan version (RC42) was the same from '92 - '07.
 
Wow. And I looked at the CB1100s in 2013 and 2014 and didn't buy. When I saw the 2017 EX I pulled out the checkbook . . .

If the lie detector is hooked up to me, yeah, I guess I like the earlier tank appearance, but I like everything else about the 2017 better, and the newer tank still looks pretty good to me. I don't want an old bike, or I'd have one; I want the best technology, hidden behind a bike that reminds me of the past.

Glad we can each have what we like!
 
HondaJon_imp said:
I would not have bought the CB if the 2017 look was introduced on the 2013.

The 2013-2016 just got "it"right.
I reduce it to the 2013 with a silver engine.
This CB got it right.

No matter what version you will buy or have bought, once you own a CB you will certainly and instantly like it. I understand reasons why people prefer different models.
Honda will do the same, otherwise they wouldn't have the CB continuously updated.

Wisedrum
 
I like it. The 2017 is more to the the bike of the 70s, down to the printed HONDA on the tank. I don't recall a Honda of that era with the wing on the tank in lieu of the raised HONDA across it.
 
Back
Top