'17 EX tank design

I'm an outliner. I like the more breadbox look of the 13-14 tanks and I also like the seams. Go figure, not a fan of the curves on the 17 model.
 
Thread starter
johnf514_imp said:
I'm an outliner. I like the more breadbox look of the 13-14 tanks and I also like the seams. Go figure, not a fan of the curves on the 17 model.
Haha...you'z an outliner...means you think outside the box...errr...the curves. I was interested in what others thought because I can't quite put my finger on what it is that doesn't allow me to say, wow! beautiful tank! (for the '17). At times, though, I look at it, and think, that's kind of a quirky, cool design, which is why I think it will grow on me over time. I like the '14 Standard in part because of the funky way the pipes crossed over into one, giving the std a flair that I guess I enjoy seeing on a motorcycle. The '17 is visually the most symmetrical bike I have ever seen...almost scary. But the "bulbous, curvy, soft edges" of the tank give it that certain funkiness I find attractive on an otherwise classic looking bike.

Regarding the "seams" on the other models...the first time I even heard (read) of "tank seams" was on this forum. Frankly, I didn't even know what was being referred to. I thought maybe it was the corners of the '14 standard tank. I couldn't even "see" the seams because I didn't know what I was looking at. Once it dawned on me, I thought, "oh, THOSE are the seams"...it looked fine to me before, looks fine now.

In the end, I thought it interesting that Honda decided to go with a substantial tank change in design/ look for the '17 and wanted to get an idea of what owners thought.

In the end, I realize I like both well enough. The overall look for a motorcycle must have "it" for me. All the CB1100 models do.
 
pdedse_imp said:
johnf514_imp said:
I'm an outliner. I like the more breadbox look of the 13-14 tanks and I also like the seams. Go figure, not a fan of the curves on the 17 model.
Haha...you'z an outliner...means you think outside the box...errr...the curves. I was interested in what others thought because I can't quite put my finger on what it is that doesn't allow me to say, wow! beautiful tank! (for the '17). At times, though, I look at it, and think, that's kind of a quirky, cool design, which is why I think it will grow on me over time. I like the '14 Standard in part because of the funky way the pipes crossed over into one, giving the std a flair that I guess I enjoy seeing on a motorcycle. The '17 is visually the most symmetrical bike I have ever seen...almost scary. But the "bulbous, curvy, soft edges" of the tank give it that certain funkiness I find attractive on an otherwise classic looking bike.

Regarding the "seams" on the other models...the first time I even heard (read) of "tank seams" was on this forum. Frankly, I didn't even know what was being referred to. I thought maybe it was the corners of the '14 standard tank. I couldn't even "see" the seams because I didn't know what I was looking at. Once it dawned on me, I thought, "oh, THOSE are the seams"...it looked fine to me before, looks fine now.

In the end, I thought it interesting that Honda decided to go with a substantial tank change in design/ look for the '17 and wanted to get an idea of what owners thought.

In the end, I realize I like both well enough. The overall look for a motorcycle must have "it" for me. All the CB1100 models do.
Exactly where I fall with this. The Honda bikes didn't have this tank design back then, and I think it looks less like a truly retro or heritage following bike than before.

But like you said, the CB1100 bikes are probably the closest an OEM has gotten to a real modern classic, in any form.
 
Regarding the more contoured, seamless tank on the '17 model, the one thing I can add is that every last non-member of cb1100forum.com who has seen my bike in person thought it looked totally classic and retro, and they loved the brilliant red tank. It's only the dyed-in-the-wool corksniffers here (myself included) in forums like this one who know, much less care, whether any given design is an exact replication of the vintage item. To the rest of the motorcycling world and the entirety of the non-motorcycling population, the '17 looks as "old school" and "authentic" as they come. Absolutely no one has said, "Yeah, well, if only it had tank seams and a more breadbox shape, like the '13 model."

We see the same thing in the guitar world. Other than the corksniffers who stand in studious silence as they dissect every last bit of the band's gear minutiae, no one in the audience knows or cares whether the dude onstage is playing a real '59 Les Paul, a '59 Reissue, a Japanese copy, or even a cheapo Epiphone SG or Squire Strat. All they know is it looks and sounds killer, and it's making them want to sing along and dance.

If you like it, then it's cool. If you don't like it, then it's not for you. Who cares what anyone else thinks? All that matters is what you think.

Obviously, I think the '17 tank looks tremendous. I also like the tanks on the previous models, but I definitely prefer the paintwork, larger capacity, and the absence of seams on my tank. I probably like the RS's tank even more, but only on the RS, with its lower bars, 17" cast wheels, blacked-out motor, more modern seat design, and gold-colored suspension bits. Those same tank stripes on my bike would look wildly out of place.

My tank doesn't look like the '13's tank, and neither tank looks like the original, and I'm fine with that. I have no requirement that every detail on my bike must match the original. My tank looks great on my bike.

Good enough for me.
 
My tank looks pretty good sitting around quietly. When I turn it towards folk so I can hear what they're saying, no-one EVER says it's anything other than beautiful.

8d16c8024223a599daefeb14995f5d29.jpg
 
:rofl:

My brother has never complained about the handling of his T-120, but then again he doesn't try and sport bike style ride it, he just rides it.
 
I wasn't sport-riding it either during my three test rides. It was just city streets and a short stint on the freeway, yet it was immediately apparent as soon we exited the parking lot to turn onto the street that the thing steers like a Cormanus Lawn Ornament.
 
VLJ_imp said:
I wasn't sport-riding it either during my three test rides. It was just city streets and a short stint on the freeway, yet it was immediately apparent as soon we exited the parking lot to turn onto the street that the thing steers like a Cormanus Lawn Ornament.
Bet it doesn't pack the same punch.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Regarding the more contoured, seamless tank on the '17 model, the one thing I can add is that every last non-member of cb1100forum.com who has seen my bike in person thought it looked totally classic and retro, and they loved the brilliant red tank. It's only the dyed-in-the-wool corksniffers here (myself included) in forums like this one who know, much less care, whether any given design is an exact replication of the vintage item. To the rest of the motorcycling world and the entirety of the non-motorcycling population, the '17 looks as "old school" and "authentic" as they come. Absolutely no one has said, "Yeah, well, if only it had tank seams and a more breadbox shape, like the '13 model."

We see the same thing in the guitar world. Other than the corksniffers who stand in studious silence as they dissect every last bit of the band's gear minutiae, no one in the audience knows or cares whether the dude onstage is playing a real '59 Les Paul, a '59 Reissue, a Japanese copy, or even a cheapo Epiphone SG or Squire Strat. All they know is it looks and sounds killer, and it's making them want to sing along and dance.

If you like it, then it's cool. If you don't like it, then it's not for you. Who cares what anyone else thinks? All that matters is what you think.

Obviously, I think the '17 tank looks tremendous. I also like the tanks on the previous models, but I definitely prefer the paintwork, larger capacity, and the absence of seams on my tank. I probably like the RS's tank even more, but only on the RS, with its lower bars, 17" cast wheels, blacked-out motor, more modern seat design, and gold-colored suspension bits. Those same tank stripes on my bike would look wildly out of place.

My tank doesn't look like the '13's tank, and neither tank looks like the original, and I'm fine with that. I have no requirement that every detail on my bike must match the original. My tank looks great on my bike.

Good enough for me.
Yes...but we're talking about people who are aware of the difference and what they prefer.

VLJ_imp said:
Regarding the more contoured, seamless tank on the '17 model, the one thing I can add is that every last non-member of cb1100forum.com who has seen my bike in person thought it looked totally classic and retro, and they loved the brilliant red tank. It's only the dyed-in-the-wool corksniffers here (myself included) in forums like this one who know, much less care, whether any given design is an exact replication of the vintage item. To the rest of the motorcycling world and the entirety of the non-motorcycling population, the '17 looks as "old school" and "authentic" as they come. Absolutely no one has said, "Yeah, well, if only it had tank seams and a more breadbox shape, like the '13 model."

We see the same thing in the guitar world. Other than the corksniffers who stand in studious silence as they dissect every last bit of the band's gear minutiae, no one in the audience knows or cares whether the dude onstage is playing a real '59 Les Paul, a '59 Reissue, a Japanese copy, or even a cheapo Epiphone SG or Squire Strat. All they know is it looks and sounds killer, and it's making them want to sing along and dance.

If you like it, then it's cool. If you don't like it, then it's not for you. Who cares what anyone else thinks? All that matters is what you think.

Obviously, I think the '17 tank looks tremendous. I also like the tanks on the previous models, but I definitely prefer the paintwork, larger capacity, and the absence of seams on my tank. I probably like the RS's tank even more, but only on the RS, with its lower bars, 17" cast wheels, blacked-out motor, more modern seat design, and gold-colored suspension bits. Those same tank stripes on my bike would look wildly out of place.

My tank doesn't look like the '13's tank, and neither tank looks like the original, and I'm fine with that. I have no requirement that every detail on my bike must match the original. My tank looks great on my bike.

Good enough for me.
Naturally, the above is all that matters, but from a marketing stand point, I think Honda would be interested in what their customers think of the difference. If anyone doesn't feel good about the look based on what group think is...well, then they got issues. : )
 
Well, what we know for certain is that neither tank design led to massive sales, so by that standard they're both failures. We also know that nearly every motojournalist loves the absence of seams and the sparkling red paint on the '17 model, and everyone loves that sparkling red paint even if they don't notice the lack of seams, and still the bike doesn't sell.

Not really sure that Group Think is going to help here, since Honda is dead set on doing the CB Their Way™. Had they listened to what the market has been telling them ever since the bike debuted, they would have dumped eighty pounds from the thing while adding at least twenty-five rwhp. Had they done just those two things, no one would give a rat's patootie about the Z900RS. The CB1100 would be THE retro to have, bar none.

Instead, Honda has chosen to limit the bike to a very small niche appeal. The different tank shapes have had zero bearing on the CB1100's popularity, or lack thereof.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Well, what we know for certain is that neither tank design led to massive sales, so by that standard they're both failures. We also know that nearly every motojournalist loves the absence of seams and the sparkling red paint on the '17 model, and everyone loves that sparkling red paint even if they don't notice the lack of seams, and still the bike doesn't sell.

Not really sure that Group Think is going to help here, since Honda is dead set on doing the CB Their Way™. Had they listened to what the market has been telling them ever since the bike debuted, they would have dumped eighty pounds from the thing while adding at least twenty-five rwhp. Had they done just those two things, no one would give a rat's patootie about the Z900RS. The CB1100 would be THE retro to have, bar none.

Instead, Honda has chosen to limit the bike to a very small niche appeal. The different tank shapes have had zero bearing on the CB1100's popularity, or lack thereof.
:) haha...why won't they do what I want them to do! Good points VLJ about HP and weight...in another life I would have loved to be in marketing, yet, so glad I'm not.

I don't doubt that "motojournalists love the absence of seams" (yet, at the same time, what, have they been polled?), but that doesn't take away that only 21% of the owners here so far claim to "love it". It's a percentage that doesn't surprise me. However, like we said before, doesn't really matter or change anything for owners...it's just an asthetic. But I do find the tank change curious--perhaps not so much "it's all about the seams", but the curves, the lines. I actually like the fact that they tried something different. I have no problem with the changes...I think I grew accostomed to the boxy tank of the '14 standard, and I'll get used to the new design just fine. It's just something I notice a lot when I look down as I ride...and that it's red! Now that I may never get used to.
 
I too have never been bothered by "seams" and prefer the older style tank because it's more "retro" which is what this model is supposed to be about.
I love the red color, but the shape looks bulbous as somebody mentioned.
But I certainly don't hate it and could live with it :D :D :D
 
I think the '17 tank is an absolute masterpiece in execution. The curves (there doesn't appear to be a single hard edge) combined with the flawless sparkling paint make it look like liquid that has been briefly frozen in time. Magnificent.

BUT

I like the '10-16 tank better, not for any particularly retro reasons as that is simply not a criteria for me (although I will admit that the tank is more reminiscent of the early '80s CBs which is exactly where my experience with classic CBs lies so perhaps some imprinting involved here) but it just seems more streamlined and less bulbous. The tank seams don't really matter to me one way or the other.

My favorite tank would be the '14 DLX, same basic shape with the extra capacity. Although I've not seen one in person yet.

I will say that the black tank on the Canadian CB1100RS definitely has a slimming effect. If Honda would get rid of the incongruous gold suspension components (I mean really, it's not a performance bike so who are you kidding) it would look like a tuxedo on two wheels.
 
This forum would be the last place Honda's marketing department would poll: it is populated by owners, the vast majority of which own pre-17 bikes, which means their stated preferences about tank shape would be colored by already owning another tank shape and not wanting to think about what owning the new tank shape would entail, financially and psychologically. Which it to say, we might be expected to be a statistical group particularly resistant to its charms. Pre-17 owners have already voted with their wallets (though of course they voted for things besides a tank), have gotten used to their choice (or would have traded it in by now for a Triumph), and confirmational bias suggests they will now want to defend that commitment, except for those few who joined the two bike club. Honda would be unwise to build any kind of business plan on that latter demographic.
 
I put a 2017 White tank on my bike and I love it !!! Especially the flush gas mounted gas cap and the clean lines. I'm just glad that we have options and they are interchangeable.
 
funny thing about features. Given a choice at all, there will be disagreement.

For example:

side cover shape ....triangular or frame covering.
Side cover color.... color matched or silver or brushed aluminum.
Fender length..... full or abbreviated,
wheel size...17" or 18",
wheel type.... spoke or mag,
wheel color...black or silver or black with polished edges,
motor color.... black, silver, or black & silver,
paint color...white, black, red, blue, silver,
engine sprocket cover.... plastic or metal,
chain guard.... plastic or metal, black or chrome,
header shape... waterfall or snaky,
header material...stainless or double walled chrome,
mufflers ...2 or 1, quiet or louder,
handlebars..where they are now, higher or lower
mirrors...round or square,
turn signals ...small or large, clear or yellow and red
Forks..upside down or right side up
rear shocks... dual std, upside down reservoir, or monoshock
horsepower...88 or 100+
transmission.... 5 speed or 6 speed
Instruments ... black or green, showing kph & mph or just one and not the other

Has there ever been agreement on this board about a single one of these features? lol No surprise that some people would love the 17 tank, some would be ambivalent, and some would hate it. Human nature.
 
You are very right with your comments about the CB 1100.
Many times I hear people say : if only Honda , Suzuki , Yamaha , Kawasaki or any other brand would do this : fill in the blanks ; I would buy one in a heart beat .
When a bike comes out CLOSE to what they wanted they still will find a reason not to buy it.
 
pdedse Wrote:I don't doubt that "motojournalists love the absence of seams" (yet, at the same time, what, have they been polled?), but that doesn't take away that only 21% of the owners here so far claim to "love it". It's a percentage that doesn't surprise me.
Nor does it surprise me, for the logical reason that baxtercat just explained...

baxtercat Wrote:This forum would be the last place Honda's marketing department would poll: it is populated by owners, the vast majority of which own pre-17 bikes, which means their stated preferences about tank shape would be colored by already owning another tank shape and not wanting to think about what owning the new tank shape would entail, financially and psychologically. Which it to say, we might be expected to be a statistical group particularly resistant to its charms. Pre-17 owners have already voted with their wallets (though of course they voted for things besides a tank), have gotten used to their choice (or would have traded it in by now for a Triumph), and confirmational bias suggests they will now want to defend that commitment.
Now, if this place was called 2017cb1100forum.com and we took the same poll, what do you suspect the percentage would be of 2017 EX and RS owners who say they prefer their tank to those of the earlier models?

I'm guessing that the percentage would be mighty high, with a resounding chorus of "Prettier paint, no seams, flush-mounted gas cap, and greater capacity! It looks so much classier!" responses. That percentage would likely be about as high as it is among motojournalists, nearly all of whom sang the praises of the lustrous new paint and absence of seams on the 2017's pricier/more finished-looking tank.

The telling difference there is that motojournalists generally aren't compelled by the same sort of confirmational bias we see here, as the vast majority of them don't own a CB1100.
The ferret_imp said:
funny thing about features. Given a choice at all, there will be disagreement.

For example:

side cover shape ....triangular or frame covering.
Side cover color.... color matched or silver or brushed aluminum.
Fender length..... full or abbreviated,
wheel size...17" or 18",
wheel type.... spoke or mag,
wheel color...black or silver or black with polished edges,
motor color.... black, silver, or black & silver,
paint color...white, black, red, blue, silver,
engine sprocket cover.... plastic or metal,
chain guard.... plastic or metal, black or chrome,
header shape... waterfall or snaky,
header material...stainless or double walled chrome,
mufflers ...2 or 1, quiet or louder,
handlebars..where they are now, higher or lower
mirrors...round or square,
turn signals ...small or large, clear or yellow and red
Forks..upside down or right side up
rear shocks... dual std, upside down reservoir, or monoshock
horsepower...88 or 100+
transmission.... 5 speed or 6 speed
Instruments ... black or green, showing kph & mph or just one and not the other

Has there ever been agreement on this board about a single one of these features? lol No surprise that some people would love the 17 tank, some would be ambivalent, and some would hate it. Human nature.
That one's easy. Triangular, so that it that fits within the frame rails.

Quote:Side cover color.... color matched or silver or brushed aluminum.
Easy call to ditch the silver-painted version. Tougher call, choosing between the hand-rubbed brushed aluminum or color-matched.

Quote:Fender length..... full or abbreviated
Whichever version mine has! :D

Quote:wheel size...17" or 18"
No-brainer. 18" for all versions except the RS.

Quote:wheel type.... spoke or mag
Tubeless spokes, except for the RS, which needs 17" mags.

Quote:wheel color...black or silver or black with polished edges
Silver on every model except the '14 Standard and 2017 RS, which need the all-black wheels.

Quote:motor color.... black, silver, or black & silver
Silver on the '13 and '14 Deluxe, black on the '14 Standard and '17 RS, and two-tone on the '17 EX. I think Honda got it right on each and every model.

I'd have no problem with all-silver for the '17 EX, however.

Quote:paint color...white, black, red, blue, silver
You forgot that gold RS, which may be the best of all, at least on that bike. Otherwise, the red '17 EX is the most brilliant, and the combination of the pin-striping and Honda 'wing' logo on the red '13 and deeper red '14 breadbox tanks is just spot-on.

They're all excellent. Not a dog in the bunch.

Quote:engine sprocket cover.... plastic or metal
As long as we're going to stick with a 560-lb bike with mid/upper-eighties rwhp, metal parts over plastic will always be the correct choice.

Quote:chain guard.... plastic or metal, black or chrome
See above. Otherwise, aluminum or chrome? Aluminum. Chain guards too often get too dirty for chrome.

Quote:header shape... waterfall or snaky
Waterfall

Quote:header material...stainless or double walled chrome
Another no-brainer. Double-walled chrome.

Quote:mufflers ...2 or 1, quiet or louder
2+2 is what everyone seems to have wanted. Lacking that option, twin pipes look better, while the single pipe is lighter. The twin pipes sound better and made marginally more power, especially the '17's pipes. In terms of volume, they're all quiet, but the '17's pipes sound noticeably rumblier than any of the previous pipes.

Quote:handlebars..where they are now, higher or lower
Higher! Most of the people here make Wilford Brimley look like Dwayne Johnson!

Quote:mirrors...round or square
Didn't realize that square mirrors were ever included on any model of CB1100. Otherwise, these round mirrors on my '17 EX are the best I've ever used on any bike, other than my ST1100 and ST1300 mirrors, and they look the part, so I'll say round.

Quote:turn signals ...small or large, clear or yellow and red
Full '70s Retro "Great Pumpkins"!

Quote:Forks..upside down or right side up
Again, I wasn't aware that any CB1100s were offered with upside forks. The right side up forks fit the theme.

Quote:rear shocks... dual std, upside down reservoir, or monoshock
Monoshock simply isn't an option on a CB1100, so that's out. The reservoir shocks look mighty cool on the RS, and they'd be fine on the '13 or '14 Standard, but they would look a bit out of place on the EX or '14 DLX.

Quote:horsepower...88 or 100+
Another no-brainer. Even if one would never use it, no one would turn their nose up at having more available hp, especially when we're only talking twenty-five more, not a hundred more.

Quote:transmission.... 5 speed or 6 speed
Lotta no-brainers here, and this one is at the top of the list. A cost/weight-savings argument could me made for plastic pieces instead of metal, but there is no compelling argument for the buzzier five-speed over the smoother six-speed.

Quote:Instruments ... black or green, showing kph & mph or just one and not the other
Green all the way, and in most markets both mph and kph need to be included.

Quote:Has there ever been agreement on this board about a single one of these features? lol
I'm thinking there is basically universal agreement that the triangle covers which fit within the frame rails are preferable to the amorphous covers that melt over the forward rail. Similarly, I suspect that everyone prefers the original green instruments. I also can't imagine that anyone who's ridden both versions wouldn't prefer the six-speed. Sure, there are those crusty old types who bray, "I have a five-speed, and it's perfectly fine!" That's great, but had it come standard with a six-speed you wouldn't have complained one bit, and you wouldn't have wanted Honda to ditch a gear. Lastly, despite what all the I Don't Need More Power curmudgeons here say, I remain fully convinced that not a single CB1100 owner would still be anything but absolutely delighted with their bike if it offered just a bit more available steam everywhere on the tach.
 
The ferret_imp said:
funny thing about features. Given a choice at all, there will be disagreement.

For example:

side cover shape ....triangular or frame covering.
Side cover color.... color matched or silver or brushed aluminum.
Fender length..... full or abbreviated,
wheel size...17" or 18",
wheel type.... spoke or mag,
wheel color...black or silver or black with polished edges,
motor color.... black, silver, or black & silver,
paint color...white, black, red, blue, silver,
engine sprocket cover.... plastic or metal,
chain guard.... plastic or metal, black or chrome,
header shape... waterfall or snaky,
header material...stainless or double walled chrome,
mufflers ...2 or 1, quiet or louder,
handlebars..where they are now, higher or lower
mirrors...round or square,
turn signals ...small or large, clear or yellow and red
Forks..upside down or right side up
rear shocks... dual std, upside down reservoir, or monoshock
horsepower...88 or 100+
transmission.... 5 speed or 6 speed
Instruments ... black or green, showing kph & mph or just one and not the other

Has there ever been agreement on this board about a single one of these features? lol No surprise that some people would love the 17 tank, some would be ambivalent, and some would hate it. Human nature.
Ooh, this looks like fun - I'll play!

side cover shape ....triangular.
Side cover color....brushed aluminum.
Fender length..... full,
wheel size...18",
wheel type....mag,
wheel color...black with polished edges,
motor color.... black & silver (like the '13 US and '14 Can models, not like the '17),
Tank shape....'14 DLX
paint color...blue,
engine sprocket cover.... metal,
chain guard.... plastic or metal, black,
header shape...snaky,
header material...stainless,
mufflers ...1, quiet,
handlebars..where they are now,
mirrors...square,
turn signals ...large, yellow
Forks..upside down
rear shocks... dual stud,
horsepower...100+
transmission.... 6 speed
Instruments ... black showing kph only

There we have it, the perfect CB1100WR. Now if Honda will just build it for me.
 
Back
Top