'17 EX tank design

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
What do you think of the '17 EX tank design?

Love it? Hate it? I could live with it? Ambivalent?

0fc2fe4ccd587b7041f82ea96c880bf7.jpg

934c0021daea59b11a02a2a0ea96dad6.jpg

4a49405025fa55cf5f1eede2ba286a7a.jpg

113a6a1a8422059a97b9b9458dfaee32.jpg
 
I like the looks of the 2017 tank , it is a little more difficult to fill up at home compared with the earlier tanks.
Had to find a different funnel.
 
Yep, my only issue with the '17 tank is that I have a difficult time getting some fuel nozzles to work. They don't always catch in the wide opening, so sometimes I have to pull up on the rubber piece with my hand. This is the first bike that's ever given me this trouble.

Otherwise, I love the looks of the tank. The sparkling paintwork is incredible, and I always hated the far-too-conspicuous seams on the older tanks. I love the custom look of the '17's seamless design. The additional fuel capacity is another welcome bonus.
 
last year by first look:omg...but after still see it....no problem.....
unhappy bcos fewer volume (for me, my blue first CB1100 the DLX)
 
alprider_imp said:
last year by first look:omg...but after still see it....no problem.....
unhappy bcos fewer volume (for me, my blue first CB1100 the DLX)
DLX: 4.6 gallons
EX: 4.44 gallons

No significant difference there.
 
VLJ_imp said:
alprider_imp said:
last year by first look:omg...but after still see it....no problem.....
unhappy bcos fewer volume (for me, my blue first CB1100 the DLX)
DLX: 4.6 gallons
EX: 4.44 gallons

No significant difference there.
True.
That can be more than made up by filling with bike on center stand.
 
not for you but for me are 20-30 km more or fewer a lot.....in my littel place i have every 3 steps a gazstation.......so i try still...hmmm shall i now already stop or later... the next has maby the better price shop or what ever....smile.....
 
Love it! The very first time I sat on a '17 EX in the showroom, I immediately felt 'at home' on the bike, with the footpegs in just the right position, the way the tank narrowed at the rear to match the narrow saddle. Yeah, I love it! It's nice when ya finally get to see your dream bike 'in the metal', and it matches every detail of your dream.

At the polar opposite, Honda's RC51 felt much wider, chunkier and hard to fit than any V-Twin should.

Mr. Honda was big on the word 'dream' too!
 
3rdbike_imp said:
Love it! The very first time I sat on a '17 EX in the showroom, I immediately felt 'at home' on the bike, with the footpegs in just the right position, the way the tank narrowed at the rear to match the narrow saddle. Yeah, I love it! It's nice when ya finally get to see your dream bike 'in the metal', and it matches every detail of your dream.

At the polar opposite, Honda's RC51 felt much wider, chunkier and hard to fit than any V-Twin should.

Mr. Honda was big on the word 'dream' too!
I bought a new RC 51 in 2004 and did not regret selling it in 2007 !
 
I do not like the new tank at all.

Heck, I’m not even in love with my ‘14 standard tank.

I’d really like to see a DLX tank in person.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've gotten use to the shape. Gives it it's own personality! If I hadn't already invested so much, to get my 2014 Standard like I want it, I'd consider trading up just for the suspension upgrade.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I didn't initially vote for my own poll...I knew I didn't outright hate it, but I don't love it either...I think it's an interesting look, bording on being "too interesting", but a look that for some reason will look better with time...so, I choose now "it will grow on me"...especially if the bike gives me few problems. The curves and swirls remind me of the way wind can leave drifting snow...beautiful in way...or maybe how soft ice cream can form on a cone, again cool looking....but....why would I want that look on my motorcycle? is the question for me.

Strangely, I remember thinking that the '14 standard's tank was a bit too boxy...but after awhile I grew to like it, the very subtle grey/red pin strip along the edge, the badge...it looked better after a year owning the bike.

I will say the paint is stunning in the sunlight, and I'm not big on red motorcycles...shows you how much I like the rest of the bike! : )

A few years down the line, I think I'll see what other flavors are available...there's no other red on the bike...a new tank and I've got a new motorycle. I'm getting ahead of myself, as I barely broke 100 total miles today.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I didn't initially vote for my own poll...I knew I didn't outright hate it, but I don't love it either...I think it's an interesting look, bording on being "too interesting", but a look that for some reason will look better with time...so, I choose now "it will grow on me"...especially if the bike gives me few problems. The curves and swirls remind me of the way wind can leave drifting snow...beautiful in way...or maybe how soft ice cream can form on a cone, again cool looking....but....why would I want that look on my motorcycle? is the question for me.

Strangely, I remember thinking that the '14 standard's tank was a bit too boxy...but after awhile I grew to like it, the very subtle grey/red pin strip along the edge, the badge...it looked better after a year owning the bike.

I will say the paint is stunning in the sunlight, and I'm not big on red motorcycles...shows you how much I like the rest of the bike! : )

A few years down the line, I think I'll see what other flavors are available...there's no other red on the bike...a new tank and I've got a new motorycle. I'm getting ahead of myself, as I barely broke 100 total miles today.
Red on cars and bikes is my favorite colour.

This is my 1971 BSA Lightning. That model had an ugly paint scheme, so I painted it black.


But had I see this picture back then, it would have be red.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
I didn't initially vote for my own poll...I knew I didn't outright hate it, but I don't love it either...I think it's an interesting look, bording on being "too interesting", but a look that for some reason will look better with time...so, I choose now "it will grow on me"...especially if the bike gives me few problems. The curves and swirls remind me of the way wind can leave drifting snow...beautiful in way...or maybe how soft ice cream can form on a cone, again cool looking....but....why would I want that look on my motorcycle? is the question for me.

Strangely, I remember thinking that the '14 standard's tank was a bit too boxy...but after awhile I grew to like it, the very subtle grey/red pin strip along the edge, the badge...it looked better after a year owning the bike.

I will say the paint is stunning in the sunlight, and I'm not big on red motorcycles...shows you how much I like the rest of the bike! : )

A few years down the line, I think I'll see what other flavors are available...there's no other red on the bike...a new tank and I've got a new motorycle. I'm getting ahead of myself, as I barely broke 100 total miles today.
Red on cars and bikes is my favorite colour.

This is my 1971 BSA Lightning. That model had an ugly paint scheme, so I painted it black.


But had I see this picture back then, it would have be red.
That bike is gorgeous. Some bikes just look so inviting...that is one of them.
 
Preferred the earlier tank myself. The new design looked bulbous and just too big until I saw it in the flesh - and in red. Sat on the bike it just works so well visually. I did like the small round "wing" badges on the earlier tank too.
 
Back
Top