14 seat and side covers tried on 13

Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Ferret,

Thanks for checking the seat and side cover. I guess you can add the sproket cover and rear rack to the list of parts that don't quite fit the 2013. But I hope the differences don't stop folks from adding all of them (except the rear rack) to their 2013s. If Force Design does 2014 style side covers in 2013 colors, I'm tempted. I already did the 2014 sprocket cover on my 2013 using 2 of the 3 bolts. Solid as a rock and definitely not going anywhere. And like I said before, that beautiful piece of aluminum is one of my favorite mods.
I am really surprised at all the changes Honda made between the 13 and 14. Little stuff that you would think wouldn't be worth the effort. It's crazy. Oh well keeping the aftermarket alive and well I suppose.
Don't forget that although '13 was the first year for the CB on the USA, it'd been out on other markets for what, 3 or 4 years pretty much unchanged? If you look at it from that perspective the updates fit the typical bike model refresh cycle (!) pretty well.
Don't forget that although '13 was the first year for the CB on the USA, it'd been out on other markets for what, 3 or 4 years pretty much unchanged? If you look at it from that perspective the updates fit the typical bike model refresh cycle (!) pretty well.
True true
 
davidsargee_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
I can't say that I'm too excited about how that 2014 DLX seat looks on the standard model. I just looks "off", basically because it is.
The bigger seat and bigger tank are a great match, but I agree with you, on the 13 the seat looks out of place, probably the smaller tank. I'm sure the seat latches further back on the 14 as well.
The thing that I was noticing is that the angle of the grab bars doesn't match up with the seat. The standard seat was obviously designed with this in mind, as was the DLX seat, for the DLX.
 
Thread starter
davidsargee_imp said:
Thanks Ferret, I have been thinking about maybe the black side covers, (I like the looks of the new Canadian Standard), it would also look a little CBXish. Looks like Samurider might be the best option.
David just saw these you may like Matt Black

http://www.samurider.com/?p=18855/#itemImage
 
They look good, not sure, but I think they are the OEM part for the 2014 model, may not fit. I think someone has black covers for the 2013.

Here's the link to the glossy ones, these, I think, are for the '13 model, but they appear to have that tab on top as well. Probably would need to communicate with them about the model and if it will fit.

http://www.samurider.com/?p=15979/#itemImage

Cheers
 
One of the 2014 deluxe side covers I ordered arrived. I managed to find the time today to uncover my bike and compare the 2013 red with the 2014 red. The 2014 red is slightly more magenta but the difference is hardly noticeable at certain angles.

I'll start to investigate mounting these on the 2013 frame this weekend but I wont actually mount them until the other half arrives.



[url=http://i.imgur.com/VNx67XI.jpg]
 
davidsargee_imp said:
They look good, not sure, but I think they are the OEM part for the 2014 model, may not fit. I think someone has black covers for the 2013.

Here's the link to the glossy ones, these, I think, are for the '13 model, but they appear to have that tab on top as well. Probably would need to communicate with them about the model and if it will fit.

http://www.samurider.com/?p=15979/#itemImage

Cheers
The ones that Ferret posted look like the covers for the 2014 Canadian standard. The link you posted is for the gloss black used on the 2013 Japanese "Black Style" edition, which should be the same as the U.S. 2014 black standard model. I say "should" because although we know that '14 DLX side covers don't fit the '13 models, we don't know if the '13 and '14 standard side covers are compatible. My guess is that they are.
 
You are right. Of course it's the 2014 oem part, for the 2014 (Canadian) Standard. They probably do fit, they are the same shape. I got mixed up over the incompatibilities of the various DLX parts. I gotta start getting more sleep.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
davidsargee_imp said:
Thanks Ferret, I have been thinking about maybe the black side covers, (I like the looks of the new Canadian Standard), it would also look a little CBXish. Looks like Samurider might be the best option.
David just saw these you may like Matt Black

http://www.samurider.com/?p=18855/#itemImage
I do like those, I wonder if that's $185.00 for the both of them. I hope so.

Almost ready to pull the trigger, but, can't decide on Matte, or Glossy. I generally like glossy finishes best, but the matte does look good on the blue standard. (I don't know what I was thinking the other day, it would have to be a 2014 part, :huh: ).

Thanks for posting that btw.
 
I got around to examining the new 2014 side covers with my 2013. Here's what I learned:



They're a straight swap. No modding necessary. Plug and play. <2min installation.

I was going to document the process and craft a thread for the How-to section but clearly that's not necessary. I can barely tell the color different from 2013-2014 too. I think I'll keep them :thumbsup:

Click the photo below for an album with alternate images:
 
Joola_imp said:
I got around to examining the new 2014 side covers with my 2013. Here's what I learned:



They're a straight swap. No modding necessary. Plug and play. <2min installation.

I was going to document the process and craft a thread for the How-to section but clearly that's not necessary. I can barely tell the color different from 2013-2014 too. I think I'll keep them :thumbsup:

Click the photo below for an album with alternate images:


Joola - first off, great looking CB1100. It's good to know the side panels are compatable. Ferret had me worried. :D
 
Joola_imp said:
I got around to examining the new 2014 side covers with my 2013. Here's what I learned:



They're a straight swap. No modding necessary. Plug and play. <2min installation.

I was going to document the process and craft a thread for the How-to section but clearly that's not necessary. I can barely tell the color different from 2013-2014 too. I think I'll keep them :thumbsup:

Click the photo below for an album with alternate images:


Thanks Joola! They look great!
 
Thread starter
Huh :huh: scratching head. Joola did both pins clip in? The ones off my 2014 dlx would not go directly on my old 2013 I swear. I'm no master mechanic but I can poke 2 pins in 2 holes if they line up. I'm baffled.
 
LotsaBS_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
I got around to examining the new 2014 side covers with my 2013. Here's what I learned:



They're a straight swap. No modding necessary. Plug and play. <2min installation.

I was going to document the process and craft a thread for the How-to section but clearly that's not necessary. I can barely tell the color different from 2013-2014 too. I think I'll keep them :thumbsup:

Click the photo below for an album with alternate images:


Thanks Joola! They look great!

Thanks Joola! They look great!
Yes they do! Nice :thumbsup:
 
Could it be he got the side panels from a 13 with the color from a 14??? That is why they went on so easily???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
They are definitely '14 side covers. The new deluxe side covers wrap over the fram tube, the old ones didn't.

Ferret, I put the pin closest to the front of the bike in first, then the pin by the battery. The screw hole was off by maybe 1/8" but that's hardly and issue. They felt pretty secure though I do think the tabs on my '13 covers fit a little more snug than these. I'm not worried about them coming lose or vibrating.
 
Thread starter
Well good. Glad they worked put for you. They look good on your bike. :thumbsup:
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Dang. I may have to buy a second set of replacement side covers.

(well actually GOODIE!! :banana: )
Me too. I already pulled the trigger on the Force Design '13 red covers with the matching stripe (they haven't even arrived yet!). I guess I'll try them for awhile and see how it goes. I really, really like the new shape of those '14 DLX covers.
 
Back
Top