14 seat and side covers tried on 13

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok so I went down to the dealer today on a fact finding mission. Would in fact the seat and side covers of a 14 DLX fit on a 13 STD. Dealer was only mildly perturbed that I was tearing apart two bikes on the show room floor lol

Final Answer..well yes and no.

First up the seat.

I removed both seats and flipped them over. They looked identical to me. I tried the seat from the dlx on the std and ..well..it almost went on. I couldn't get it to latch on the right side. It seemed like it wanted to, but no matter how many times I fitted/pushed/turned the key I could not get it to snap into place. It was so close. I think a little bit of fiddling would make it go. I believe someone on the forum is already running a 14 seat on a 13.

14 seat on 13. Here's a pic to show what it would look like



The side covers, again pulled both side covers, and flipped them over. They looked really close, but lining the back pins up together showed the front pins were in different places. I could not get the 14 cover on the 13. However, if one were to grind off the front pin, I'm think the rear pin and 5mm allen screw would hold it on the bike, and in the right position, but the front would be loose.

14 and 13 side covers from rear

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april4003_zps3869ac90.jpg.html]

Hope this helps those that are considering those changes.
 
Thanks Ferret, I have been thinking about maybe the black side covers, (I like the looks of the new Canadian Standard), it would also look a little CBXish. Looks like Samurider might be the best option.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
They may want you to take possession of your 14 as much as you do, Saturday, right?
LOL yep. Woke up this morning with a bout of gout in my shifting foot, which hurts like you wouldn't believe, but either I will ride it home tomorrow or my son will. One way or another, it's coming home tomorrow! whole weekend is supposed to be nice...cold but nice.
 
As you know, I have been interested in trying this on my '13. Thanks for checking. When you get a chance would you please post up a pic of the inside of the '14 covers and the location of the "grommet" that front pin fits into? Thanks
 
The ferret_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
They may want you to take possession of your 14 as much as you do, Saturday, right?
LOL yep. Woke up this morning with a bout of gout in my shifting foot, which hurts like you wouldn't believe, but either I will ride it home tomorrow or my son will. One way or another, it's coming home tomorrow! whole weekend is supposed to be nice...cold but nice.
One thing i have learned over the years for gout is celery seeds... take a spoon or two of celery seeds everyday chew em up with lots of water and for me it always get better,..dont know why but it works for me..
 
Sympathy Ferret. Gout is the pits.
 
Hey, Ferret! Thanks for doing the hands on research. You've made me feel much better about my decision to pull the trigger on the '13 red side covers (with stripe!) last week.

Since I've owned my '13 for a year (tomorrow) I decided it was time to order a big box of farkles from Takashi.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok so I went down to the dealer today on a fact finding mission. Would in fact the seat and side covers of a 14 DLX fit on a 13 STD. Dealer was only mildly perturbed that I was tearing apart two bikes on the show room floor lol

Final Answer..well yes and no.

First up the seat.

I removed both seats and flipped them over. They looked identical to me. I tried the seat from the dlx on the std and ..well..it almost went on. I couldn't get it to latch on the right side. It seemed like it wanted to, but no matter how many times I fitted/pushed/turned the key I could not get it to snap into place. It was so close. I think a little bit of fiddling would make it go. I believe someone on the forum is already running a 14 seat on a 13.

14 seat on 13. Here's a pic to show what it would look like



The side covers, again pulled both side covers, and flipped them over. They looked really close, but lining the back pins up together showed the front pins were in different places. I could not get the 14 cover on the 13. However, if one were to grind off the front pin, I'm think the rear pin and 5mm allen screw would hold it on the bike, and in the right position, but the front would be loose.

14 and 13 side covers from rear

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/april4003_zps3869ac90.jpg.html]

Hope this helps those that are considering those changes.

We're you tearing apart your old 13... as well as your new 14?
 
Thanks for testing this out Ferret. My '14 side covers are due to arrive on Monday...guess I'll be sending them back will wait for the knockoff versions to come out.
 
Thread starter
Joola you may as well take them out of the box and take a look at one and see what you think. Like I said with the back long slotted pin in place at the back, and the allen screw at the bottom, they wouldn't go anywhere. If you really like the shape and coverage it may be worth it to you to grind that front pin off. Wouldn't take much.
 
Ferret,

Thanks for checking the seat and side cover. I guess you can add the sproket cover and rear rack to the list of parts that don't quite fit the 2013. But I hope the differences don't stop folks from adding all of them (except the rear rack) to their 2013s. If Force Design does 2014 style side covers in 2013 colors, I'm tempted. I already did the 2014 sprocket cover on my 2013 using 2 of the 3 bolts. Solid as a rock and definitely not going anywhere. And like I said before, that beautiful piece of aluminum is one of my favorite mods.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Ferret,

Thanks for checking the seat and side cover. I guess you can add the sproket cover and rear rack to the list of parts that don't quite fit the 2013. But I hope the differences don't stop folks from adding all of them (except the rear rack) to their 2013s. If Force Design does 2014 style side covers in 2013 colors, I'm tempted. I already did the 2014 sprocket cover on my 2013 using 2 of the 3 bolts. Solid as a rock and definitely not going anywhere. And like I said before, that beautiful piece of aluminum is one of my favorite mods.
I am really surprised at all the changes Honda made between the 13 and 14. Little stuff that you would think wouldn't be worth the effort. It's crazy. Oh well keeping the aftermarket alive and well I suppose.
 
I wonder if the frame is different, for whatever reason, just by a little. This could cause a domino effect of sorts, moving screws and bolts around ever so slightly. It's probably a piece of cake to make these types of changes with the computerized systems they use.
 
The ferret_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Ferret,

Thanks for checking the seat and side cover. I guess you can add the sproket cover and rear rack to the list of parts that don't quite fit the 2013. But I hope the differences don't stop folks from adding all of them (except the rear rack) to their 2013s. If Force Design does 2014 style side covers in 2013 colors, I'm tempted. I already did the 2014 sprocket cover on my 2013 using 2 of the 3 bolts. Solid as a rock and definitely not going anywhere. And like I said before, that beautiful piece of aluminum is one of my favorite mods.
I am really surprised at all the changes Honda made between the 13 and 14. Little stuff that you would think wouldn't be worth the effort. It's crazy. Oh well keeping the aftermarket alive and well I suppose.
Don't forget that although '13 was the first year for the CB on the USA, it'd been out on other markets for what, 3 or 4 years pretty much unchanged? If you look at it from that perspective the updates fit the typical bike model refresh cycle (!) pretty well.
 
I can't say that I'm too excited about how that 2014 DLX seat looks on the standard model. I just looks "off", basically because it is.
 
Guth_imp said:
I can't say that I'm too excited about how that 2014 DLX seat looks on the standard model. I just looks "off", basically because it is.
The bigger seat and bigger tank are a great match, but I agree with you, on the 13 the seat looks out of place, probably the smaller tank. I'm sure the seat latches further back on the 14 as well.
 
Back
Top