14 CB1100 stock exhaust (cat)

Feelergaugephil_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all, So I removed the "slip on" stock muffler as I'm cleaning everything up.
So I start the bike up without the muffler, OMG! sounds amazing, not too too loud, Ive ridden it around the sub division (30 mph) sounds awesome...
I think its not crazy crazy loud because of the cat within the collector box, has anyone actually tried to long drill it or try punch it through?

I ask, because I'm looking at buying a full system Delvic or similar name.
If I can knock a hole through it, I'll just buy a slip on rather than the whole system...
Looking at options,,,, THX guys...
 
Feelergaugephil_imp said:
Hi all, So I removed the "slip on" stock muffler as I'm cleaning everything up.
So I start the bike up without the muffler, OMG! sounds amazing, not too too loud, Ive ridden it around the sub division (30 mph) sounds awesome...
I think its not crazy crazy loud because of the cat within the collector box, has anyone actually tried to long drill it or try punch it through?

I ask, because I'm looking at buying a full system Delvic or similar name.
If I can knock a hole through it, I'll just buy a slip on rather than the whole system...
Looking at options,,,, THX guys...
This is what the inside of a 2014 OE slip on looks like
on the exit end;
a0aad0dfa7e069a2b75725b9e22c8cd0.jpg



and there's a welded washer
on the inlet end
f48a5e4de5c12fdabac3141d25884224.jpg
 
I just checked the blocking plate (OEM'14)at <1, it is located inside, about 1 foot from exhaust outlet...may drill out and see what happens..

dadcbf49d63e4ea96d973c532a5897d6.jpg
 
On my '13 I removed the end cap with the three screws, drilled eighteen .475in. holes in the end plate with almost no effect whatsoever. I've read that some riders drilled six holes and got an amazing sound, but not so here.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone.
FYI, I removed the WHOLE silencer and I'm talking about the catalytic converter within the lower headers, NOT the silencer end.
 
how about a pic of the slip-on installed..do you have dual exhaust or just a single exhaust ..do you have center stand issues..I installed dual after market slip-ons.. the reverse cone shorties.. they sound great!! .. I would leave the cats alone.. as you know, there is some nice sounds coming from them.. when I added my emgo slip-ons, the nice sound was still there.. I had to go to a muffler shop to have 2 short "s" extensions made.. they run from the cat, out to the side of the bike , then back.. then just slip on the slip-on's ..
1052d02a3e1ef343fcbb309f9306e62d.jpg
[/b
40b692c11352f70a0a686d46b0e20b71.jpg

bc493ccb21386fd7cbe4caa8cea95632.jpg

b093d45d77840c8c15bc952c284c4f29.jpg

the packing was lacking ..... easy to take apart, I bought packing and rebuilt the mufflers right away.. it gave the exhaust a throatier sound.. the deeper sound was just perfect..
f663741941ccc9b818fd2b2bb33f269e.jpg
 
Thread starter
I cant post pics, I use my cellphone for everything, I could send my pics to someone who could possibly upload them, I'm on the facebook CB1100 forum. (Phil Brownleader)
 
Tapatalk in your mobile (cell) makes posting photos a breeze.

I’d offer to help out, but I’m away from home.
 
It’s ironic. I did the exact same thing a couple days ago. Took the silencer off and started her up. I was very shocked that it was not much louder and sounded nice.

I’m torn also. I actually am leaning toward a short pipe. Arrow initially was my first choice but 500 bucks for minimal sound, nah.

The 9 inch Delkevic might be my other choice. Sounds decent and a decent price. The 14 incher looks comically long to me. Has the ungraceful lines of a Chevy Cobolt turned limo look to me.
 
Feelergaugephil_imp said:
I cant post pics, I use my cellphone for everything, I could send my pics to someone who could possibly upload them, I'm on the facebook CB1100 forum. (Phil Brownleader)
I will try to help you Phil .. Peter was nice enough to help me at the beginning.. thanks once more Peter .. so Phil, just text me your pics and I will post them .. 805-794-4644 ..

chuckk [/b]
well, I have bought expensive slip-ons before.. 2 brothers for my 919 and stayintunes for my fjr.. lots of cash.. I feel great about my emgo shortie purchase.. If I recall they ran about $65. ea. then maybe another $50 at the muffler shop..I think they look good and sound good also..
de1dfad7b5eed14e0a308bb1ae888291.jpg
[/b
1a77a5ff33e276f500ec38942f793900.jpg

I had my seat off, to disconnect the battery.. while I was having the 2 adapters made for my emgo's, I had the muffler guy weld the continuous thread nut onto my center stand .. I had it bolted in place, but I thought a weld would be better.. it was a perfect time to have it done.. then I would screw in the right length bolt (6 in. I think) and use a locking nut to lock it in place.. that allowed for some fine tuning on the final length.. I finished it off with the rubber tip from a cane and a little silicone to hold it on.. I have had to replace my cane tip once so far.. its very easy to do.. it works really well.. very quiet when rolling the bike off of the center stand.
56cd0736fa545949634df9f0527667a4.jpg

I forgot to mention.. I pop riveted a hard rubber pad I made from an old foot peg onto the area where the cane tip strikes the under carriage.. (can't find the pic) .. it may have been about 3/8 in. thick by 2 in. by 3 in. I also put a slight bend in the bolt.. all part of the final tweaking
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
On my '13 I removed the end cap with the three screws, drilled eighteen .475in. holes in the end plate with almost no effect whatsoever. I've read that some riders drilled six holes and got an amazing sound, but not so here.
I drilled holes in the end of a spare muffler I had and it sounds like an aftermarket header,very nice sound.
 
Feelergaugephil_imp said:
I cant post pics, I use my cellphone for everything, I could send my pics to someone who could possibly upload them, I'm on the facebook CB1100 forum. (Phil Brownleader)
I am still willing to help post for you Phil..just text the pics to me .. 805-794-4644

chuckk
 
Thread starter
Chuckk_imp said:
Feelergaugephil_imp said:
I cant post pics, I use my cellphone for everything, I could send my pics to someone who could possibly upload them, I'm on the facebook CB1100 forum. (Phil Brownleader)
I am still willing to help post for you Phil..just text the pics to me .. 805-794-4644

chuckk
I am still willing to help post for you Phil..just text the pics to me .. 805-794-4644

chuckk
Chuck, just texted you..
 
Thread starter
Thx Chuck..
This is perfect "BEFORE" pic.. wheels are being rim stripped and tank has gone for repaint as with other little parts.
Head fairing is sat on shelf waiting for fitment, and shorty pipe is on.....
 
Chuckk,

Nice pic of a dot ;)
 
Back
Top