100 miles in..1st impression

Scoot_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Okay, so I have 100 miles on my 2014 CB1100. It had 6500 when I bought it.
How does the bike fit me ? I like the footpeg position. I did have to adjust the shifter lever a bit as it didnt allow my boot to fit under, but that was easy fix. The seat actually feels pretty good..for a stock seat. Maybe that will change as I ride longer, but I have definitely seen worse. Handlebars are just a little low for my liking. Might have to check into bar risers . This forum will help me review options there.
I really like the sound of the bike with the stock pipe. It sounds smooth and has ust enough volume to suit me. The bike is a little heavy to push around, but not excessive.
On to the ride. Engine is very smooth. I dont feel a lot of vibration. Bike is easy to steer and corners well. It actually feels small as I ride and the weight I noticed when pushing it around has vanished. Clutch and gears are extremely smooth, just as I have come to expect from Honda. I have not really pushed the bike yet, but I feel like there is more than enough power there to keep me satisfied. I will be looking into a windscreen of some sort.
Finally, when I pulled into a gas station 2 minutes into my 1st ride, a guy walked by and said....love the looks of that bike. I have to agree. The fit and finish of my 7 year old bike is still showroom new. I love the retro look. I am excited to really get to know the bike and continue to read more from the folks here who have some years and many miles of experience with the CB 1100.
 
Good review, one I'm sure the vast majority here would agree with. Make sure to check your tire pressures before pushing it too hard.
 
Good review and it will only get better :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Those were many of my impressions when I first got my 2014, but the bike fitted me perfectly so no changes.
Seven years later I'm still in love with it :D :D :D
 
Good review, Scoot.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Good review, Scoot.
Nice review. I think I just hit 100 miles on my bike as well (picked it up with 230 just last week). It feels slightly more roomy than my old 82 CB900C regarding the riding triangle. Though the bike feels small to me being 6' 6". I guess most bikes do until I sit on a big Harley or the Goldwing. I am still in the engine break in period and have done my best to keep the RPM's low, though I haven't been entirely successful in that regard. The devil on my shoulder apparently likes it when I pop down a gear and twist.

I totally agree though, this bike is smooth. I grin even just thinking about the bike. I am so in love right now it's silly!
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Good review, Scoot.
Nice review. I think I just hit 100 miles on my bike as well (picked it up with 230 just last week). It feels slightly more roomy than my old 82 CB900C regarding the riding triangle. Though the bike feels small to me being 6' 6". I guess most bikes do until I sit on a big Harley or the Goldwing. I am still in the engine break in period and have done my best to keep the RPM's low, though I haven't been entirely successful in that regard. The devil on my shoulder apparently likes it when I pop down a gear and twist.

I totally agree though, this bike is smooth. I grin even just thinking about the bike. I am so in love right now it's silly!
Nice review. I think I just hit 100 miles on my bike as well (picked it up with 230 just last week). It feels slightly more roomy than my old 82 CB900C regarding the riding triangle. Though the bike feels small to me being 6' 6". I guess most bikes do until I sit on a big Harley or the Goldwing. I am still in the engine break in period and have done my best to keep the RPM's low, though I haven't been entirely successful in that regard. The devil on my shoulder apparently likes it when I pop down a gear and twist.

I totally agree though, this bike is smooth. I grin even just thinking about the bike. I am so in love right now it's silly!
I hear you whoops ! I am excited to get on the bike and I think it is just a beautiful motorcycle. We had cold rainy weather after I picked it up and I caught myself goimg to the garage to sit on it a couple times a day. :D
 
Scoot_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Good review, Scoot.
Nice review. I think I just hit 100 miles on my bike as well (picked it up with 230 just last week). It feels slightly more roomy than my old 82 CB900C regarding the riding triangle. Though the bike feels small to me being 6' 6". I guess most bikes do until I sit on a big Harley or the Goldwing. I am still in the engine break in period and have done my best to keep the RPM's low, though I haven't been entirely successful in that regard. The devil on my shoulder apparently likes it when I pop down a gear and twist.

I totally agree though, this bike is smooth. I grin even just thinking about the bike. I am so in love right now it's silly!
Nice review. I think I just hit 100 miles on my bike as well (picked it up with 230 just last week). It feels slightly more roomy than my old 82 CB900C regarding the riding triangle. Though the bike feels small to me being 6' 6". I guess most bikes do until I sit on a big Harley or the Goldwing. I am still in the engine break in period and have done my best to keep the RPM's low, though I haven't been entirely successful in that regard. The devil on my shoulder apparently likes it when I pop down a gear and twist.

I totally agree though, this bike is smooth. I grin even just thinking about the bike. I am so in love right now it's silly!
I hear you whoops ! I am excited to get on the bike and I think it is just a beautiful motorcycle. We had cold rainy weather after I picked it up and I caught myself goimg to the garage to sit on it a couple times a day. :D
Sitting on the metal beast brings a certain level of personal therapy.
 
Every time I walk into the garage and see the CB1100 i this what a beautifully crafted bike it is. It always brings a smile to my face.
 
Your first impressions sound very familiar. What is funny for me to look back on is how at first I didn't find the rider's triangle to be all that different from my Hawk GT. But as I spent more time on the CB1100 and then switched back to the Hawk, the differences were far more noticeable. I've never minded the factory seat or bars, but in my case I actually switched out these items for those parts that were featured in the Japanese market Type II version of this machine, both of which are lower than the standard units. From the perspective of look and feel, I've been happy with these new items. However, if I needed to switch back to the original parts for some reason then i could do so without problem.
 
Guth_imp said:
Your first impressions sound very familiar. What is funny for me to look back on is how at first I didn't find the rider's triangle to be all that different from my Hawk GT. But as I spent more time on the CB1100 and then switched back to the Hawk, the differences were far more noticeable. I've never minded the factory seat or bars, but in my case I actually switched out these items for those parts that were featured in the Japanese market Type II version of this machine, both of which are lower than the standard units. From the perspective of look and feel, I've been happy with these new items. However, if I needed to switch back to the original parts for some reason then i could do so without problem.
This site actually has a pretty accurate ergonomics representation. The closest they had to my CB900C was the '83 CB900F though. Almost the same.

Motorcycle Ergonomics
 
Yeah, I've always found that to be a useful site, provided that they have the data for the motorcycles you might be researching.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Your first impressions sound very familiar. What is funny for me to look back on is how at first I didn't find the rider's triangle to be all that different from my Hawk GT. But as I spent more time on the CB1100 and then switched back to the Hawk, the differences were far more noticeable. I've never minded the factory seat or bars, but in my case I actually switched out these items for those parts that were featured in the Japanese market Type II version of this machine, both of which are lower than the standard units. From the perspective of look and feel, I've been happy with these new items. However, if I needed to switch back to the original parts for some reason then i could do so without problem.
Interesting. Being so new to the cb I was unaware of a Type II version that you mention. I have now put a few more hours on the bike and I find myself thinking I wish the seat sat a bit lower. It just feels like I am perched a bit high.
Where does one find a Type II seat ?
Thanks, Guth
 
Scoot_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Your first impressions sound very familiar. What is funny for me to look back on is how at first I didn't find the rider's triangle to be all that different from my Hawk GT. But as I spent more time on the CB1100 and then switched back to the Hawk, the differences were far more noticeable. I've never minded the factory seat or bars, but in my case I actually switched out these items for those parts that were featured in the Japanese market Type II version of this machine, both of which are lower than the standard units. From the perspective of look and feel, I've been happy with these new items. However, if I needed to switch back to the original parts for some reason then i could do so without problem.
Interesting. Being so new to the cb I was unaware of a Type II version that you mention. I have now put a few more hours on the bike and I find myself thinking I wish the seat sat a bit lower. It just feels like I am perched a bit high.
Where does one find a Type II seat ?
Thanks, Guth
Fascinating the spectrum of riders we are. For myself, the seat was never high enough.
 
Scoot, Mr. T of Samurider sells the LO seat. It is OEM in Japan.
 
I will note:

After riding the [higher] Honda NC750X, riding the CB1100 afterward "felt weirdly higher" for many minutes into the ride. It was as if I was riding a gymnastic balance beam or something like that. I felt as if I was riding on the CB rather than the usual with the CB.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Scoot, Mr. T of Samurider sells the LO seat. It is OEM in Japan.
Thanks !
GoldOxide_imp said:
I will note:

After riding the [higher] Honda NC750X, riding the CB1100 afterward "felt weirdly higher" for many minutes into the ride. It was as if I was riding a gymnastic balance beam or something like that. I felt as if I was riding on the CB rather than the usual with the CB.
I have an NC700, and maybe thats why I felt higher. Same as you described it.
 
Scoot_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Scoot, Mr. T of Samurider sells the LO seat. It is OEM in Japan.
Thanks !
GoldOxide_imp said:
I will note:

After riding the [higher] Honda NC750X, riding the CB1100 afterward "felt weirdly higher" for many minutes into the ride. It was as if I was riding a gymnastic balance beam or something like that. I felt as if I was riding on the CB rather than the usual with the CB.
I have an NC700, and maybe thats why I felt higher. Same as you described it.
Thanks !
GoldOxide_imp said:
I will note:

After riding the [higher] Honda NC750X, riding the CB1100 afterward "felt weirdly higher" for many minutes into the ride. It was as if I was riding a gymnastic balance beam or something like that. I felt as if I was riding on the CB rather than the usual with the CB.
I have an NC700, and maybe thats why I felt higher. Same as you described it.
Ha-ha, ya. Ride the torpedo. :)
 
Back
Top