Z900RS Dyno run

2013 CB 1100 tested by Rider Mag and Jett Dyno

On the Jett Tuning dyno, the CB1100 made a healthy peak of about 85 horsepower at 7,300 rpm (the 1969 CB750 was good for about 67 at the crank), and roughly 67 lb-ft of torque at 6,700 rpm at the rear wheel, 90 percent of which is available from 3,300-7,000 rpm.
Fuel Capacity: 3.9 gals., last 0.9 gal. warning indicator on
MPG: 86 PON min. (low/avg/high) 38.6/40.3/42.7
Estimated Range: 157 miles
Indicated RPM at 60 MPH: 3,250
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Rider Magazine came in last night with their test of the new 900RS. On their Jett Dyno it turned 95.5 hp @ 8700 rpms and 62.4 torque @6900. Gas mileage was 28.5 low, 45 high, 36 average and estimated range at 162 miles on the 4.5 gallon tank. 60 mph indicated was at 3750 rpms
Right; some dynos consistently give lower numbers, some higher.

Their real use is to track changes after doing some kind of engine work.

There was a shop that Sport Rider always used that seemed to have really consistent numbers. A lot of the real "accuracy" comes from the dyno operator's ability to properly correct for temperature, pressure, and relative humidity. Not all dynos, nor operators, are created equal.

Most likely you would end up with a 79.5 HP CB1100 from that dyno; errors are usually always in the same direction.
Right; some dynos consistently give lower numbers, some higher.

Their real use is to track changes after doing some kind of engine work.

There was a shop that Sport Rider always used that seemed to have really consistent numbers. A lot of the real "accuracy" comes from the dyno operator's ability to properly correct for temperature, pressure, and relative humidity. Not all dynos, nor operators, are created equal.

Most likely you would end up with a 79.5 HP CB1100 from that dyno; errors are usually always in the same direction.
That Jett Dyno is actually the dyno at Jett Tuning in Camarillo, CA. Jett Tuning | Performance for What You Ride!

I think maybe Ferret said that. I get confused sometimes :)
 
Ulvetanna Wrote:Most likely you would end up with a 79.5 HP CB1100 from that dyno
You just go ahead and wash your mouth out with soap, young man!

Actually, to be fair, I've noticed that Rider Magazine's dyno readings usually tend to be on the high side, compared to what most people in California see from their own bikes.

The one thing I haven't seen as much of lately is the so-called Magazine Ringer bike, which we used to see all the time during the halcyon '90s and early 2000s, back when the market for sportbikes was so strong that the development/new model replacement cycle for the 600s was down to two years. Back then, magazines always seemed to receive blueprinted, dyno-friendly special bikes that none of us mere mortals could ever hope to purchase from our local dealers.

Thankfully, magazine test bikes these days more accurately reflect what we see from dealership bikes.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
If the Kawi lost that radiator there would be one in my garage. Rootbeer and orange please.
Stopped by a dealer today, sat on the bike, nice ergonomics...but all the numbers aside, I just couldn't deal with that radiator...looks like I opened up the hood of the car:

c1e445d15ea822d12aa051a4378ca004.jpg


Although it's in the same position, I don't notice the CB1100 oil cooler much--smaller and doesn't have that cap sticking out.
 
CB also doesn't have that clutch cable draped so sloppily across the right side of the motor, or that beached whale of a gas tank. And the CB's fins aren't fake.
 
VLJ_imp said:
CB also doesn't have that clutch cable draped so sloppily across the right side of the motor, or that beached whale of a gas tank. And the CB's fins aren't fake.
While I like the overall package of the Z900RS, there is something funky about the shape of the tank, especially when viewed from the front. It looks like a tortoise shell or some kind of hat and not an integrated part of the design.
 
Banned_imp said:
I think the fake fins bother me the most. Just be what you are.
I hope there are enough purists out there to encourage Honda to continue building a reasonably authentic bike.

However, I am concerned that they may return to carburetor from the tone and content of some of the comments.

JK

That said, I rode my Wolf Classic 150 about 20 miles around town, hill, and dale, doing an errand. Took the long way.

Single cylinder, REAL cooling fins, and REAL kick starter, and a carburetor.. That thing truly holds its own in urban traffic; top speed is 65 mph+, and it is tempting to consider hopping onto the sidewalk.

It's about as simple as it gets. Regular gas, 85 mpg.

Maybe Honda could just add a kick starter to the '18 model?
 
While a fake kick starter might sound ridiculous to most of us, I'm not sure that I'd be all that surprised to see a manufacturer some day add such a thing to a retro styled motorcycle and market it a "kick-assist starting system". (You'd still have to thumb the starter switch of course, lol.) I could see some guys pulling off the fake kick start effect before riding off in front of a crowd of people who don't know any better. This would probably sell to the same people that find the fake carbs and fake cooling fins to be appealing.
 
Guth_imp said:
While a fake kick starter might sound ridiculous to most of us, I'm not sure that I'd be all that surprised to see a manufacturer some day add such a thing to a retro styled motorcycle and market it a "kick-assist starting system". (You'd still have to thumb the starter switch of course, lol.) I could see some guys pulling off the fake kick start effect before riding off in front of a crowd of people who don't know any better. This would probably sell to the same people that find the fake carbs and fake cooling fins to be appealing.
Lol, it's been done for the movies, for sure!
VLJ_imp said:
CB also doesn't have that clutch cable draped so sloppily across the right side of the motor, or that beached whale of a gas tank. And the CB's fins aren't fake.
But the CB1100 has an hydraulic clutch, so the options for routing the cables are myriad.

It actually runs under the tank and is a pain in the buttocks to change. I replaced mine with a custom length from Galfer when I did the CB500 bars. Had to remove the tank and a few other odds and ends.

The Kawasaki routes the cable that way to get the smoothest, most friction-free pull.

I can tell you that on my CB1100, the throttle cables were not properly routed, and even after I repositioned them (when I checked the valve clearance) there was still a bit of binding at full lock. It's a tight squeeze under the tank.
 
The guys who created the custom bike for the Walking Dead series thought a fake kick starter would be a good idea.

When I first saw it, it was obvious that it started out as a last gen CB750 Nighthawk (which never had a kick starter). I did a double-take when I saw that kickstarter. Turns out there's nothing but air behind it. It sure adds to the retro look, doesn't it?

f12ea28fcb64ca119437642a75b592ba.jpg
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I think the fake fins bother me the most. Just be what you are.
I hope there are enough purists out there to encourage Honda to continue building a reasonably authentic bike.

However, I am concerned that they may return to carburetor from the tone and content of some of the comments.

JK

That said, I rode my Wolf Classic 150 about 20 miles around town, hill, and dale, doing an errand. Took the long way.

Single cylinder, REAL cooling fins, and REAL kick starter, and a carburetor.. That thing truly holds its own in urban traffic; top speed is 65 mph+, and it is tempting to consider hopping onto the sidewalk.

It's about as simple as it gets. Regular gas, 85 mpg.

Maybe Honda could just add a kick starter to the '18 model?
Honestly, I wouldn't mind a carb. Maybe it's cause I've never really had problems with them. I've always been able to ride year round in the climates I've lived in, so they've never given me any issues.

Ulvetanna_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I think the fake fins bother me the most. Just be what you are.
I hope there are enough purists out there to encourage Honda to continue building a reasonably authentic bike.

However, I am concerned that they may return to carburetor from the tone and content of some of the comments.

JK

That said, I rode my Wolf Classic 150 about 20 miles around town, hill, and dale, doing an errand. Took the long way.

Single cylinder, REAL cooling fins, and REAL kick starter, and a carburetor.. That thing truly holds its own in urban traffic; top speed is 65 mph+, and it is tempting to consider hopping onto the sidewalk.

It's about as simple as it gets. Regular gas, 85 mpg.

Maybe Honda could just add a kick starter to the '18 model?
Glad to hear you like that bike. How's it fit for you? I'd buy one but I'm over 6'3", pushing mid 50, and my hips keep reminding me that maybe I need a seat height 33" plus. Test rode an f800gs today...very nice ride, but goodness, the techno goodies on that thing makes my head spin.

Ulvetanna_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I think the fake fins bother me the most. Just be what you are.
I hope there are enough purists out there to encourage Honda to continue building a reasonably authentic bike.

However, I am concerned that they may return to carburetor from the tone and content of some of the comments.

JK

That said, I rode my Wolf Classic 150 about 20 miles around town, hill, and dale, doing an errand. Took the long way.

Single cylinder, REAL cooling fins, and REAL kick starter, and a carburetor.. That thing truly holds its own in urban traffic; top speed is 65 mph+, and it is tempting to consider hopping onto the sidewalk.

It's about as simple as it gets. Regular gas, 85 mpg.

Maybe Honda could just add a kick starter to the '18 model?
Bring it...will probably cure my hips.
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
While a fake kick starter might sound ridiculous to most of us, I'm not sure that I'd be all that surprised to see a manufacturer some day add such a thing to a retro styled motorcycle and market it a "kick-assist starting system". (You'd still have to thumb the starter switch of course, lol.) I could see some guys pulling off the fake kick start effect before riding off in front of a crowd of people who don't know any better. This would probably sell to the same people that find the fake carbs and fake cooling fins to be appealing.
Lol, it's been done for the movies, for sure!
VLJ_imp said:
CB also doesn't have that clutch cable draped so sloppily across the right side of the motor, or that beached whale of a gas tank. And the CB's fins aren't fake.
But the CB1100 has an hydraulic clutch, so the options for routing the cables are myriad.

It actually runs under the tank and is a pain in the buttocks to change. I replaced mine with a custom length from Galfer when I did the CB500 bars. Had to remove the tank and a few other odds and ends.

The Kawasaki routes the cable that way to get the smoothest, most friction-free pull.

I can tell you that on my CB1100, the throttle cables were not properly routed, and even after I repositioned them (when I checked the valve clearance) there was still a bit of binding at full lock. It's a tight squeeze under the tank.
Ulvetanna, in what way did you find the throttle cables not properly routed? Were they "harnessed" at some point that didn't make sense?
 
The 150 is small, for sure, but does have an 18" front and 17" rear wheel. It's 260 lbs. The fit is not bad at all for the intended use and the thing corners like a bicycle (almost). Very light and quick steering.

Those throttle cables are stuffed under the tank and are routed through a big mess of equipment. Mine were not quite positioned as they should have been, which I corrected. But they can be a little finicky. Never had a problem when the bars were reasonably straight but at full lock, either right or left, can't remember which, they'd bind.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The guys who created the custom bike for the Walking Dead series thought a fake kick starter would be a good idea.

When I first saw it, it was obvious that it started out as a last gen CB750 Nighthawk (which never had a kick starter). I did a double-take when I saw that kickstarter. Turns out there's nothing but air behind it. It sure adds to the retro look, doesn't it?

f12ea28fcb64ca119437642a75b592ba.jpg
Hmmm, I dunno. That looks to be a rare and highly sought after OEM nutcracker hopper. While nut scrambles never really took off, I've heard that back in the early 70s they were quite popular in some parts of the county such as out here in Oregon where they would set up demanding courses amongst the hazelnut groves or down in Texas where pecan groves ruled the day. If a competitor's bike broke down mid-race, or if a rider got lost (or at times simply hungry) the nutcracker hopper could take a little bit of the sting out of a day gone bad. Here's a little-known fact about nut scrambles: the event gained it's name not from the bounty found within the groves of nut bearing trees, but rather from a comment a spectator made early on which many overheard and started repeating: "Man, those guys are nuts!"

On second thought, taking a closer look I think you're right, maybe that is intended to be a fake kick starter. Never mind all that stuff above. I guess I still need to get out for a ride soon. Sorry fellas.
 
Back
Top