Yuasa Battery Life

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
I brought up a thread about batteries back in 2022, when I last changed my battery. I'm bringing it up again because with the way technology progresses so rapidly, maybe there are some different battery options out there that someone can help me with?

The battery life on my 2014 DLX is rather disappointing. My original battery lasted 32 months. I replaced it with a YUSA battery, and purchased a Battery Tender; the Battery Tender was connected whenever my bike was not being ridden. When this battery lasted 68 months, I thought the Battery Tender was my answer to short battery life. My next YUASA battery only lasted 31 months, very similar to my OEM battery, despite being connected to a Battery Tender whenever the bike was not being ridden. These batteries are not cheap! I paid less for the battery in my truck, that came with a three year warranty!

My battery voltage is 12.5 volts with the engine off, and is 13.8 volts whenever the engine is running, which is within the factory specification.

I have a YUASA battery that I swap between my VFR800 and my XR650L. This battery is connected to a Battery Tender whenever it is not in a bike, and it lasted seven years!

Can anyone recommend a replacement battery for my CB1100? Can I use a Lithium battery? Are Lithium batteries actually that much better? Will a Lithium battery charge properly with the charging system on my CB1100, and will it charge properly connected to my Battery Tender? I'm not as concerned about price, although that is a factor, but I am interested in quality, and long life.

Thank you for your suggestions.
 
I still have the Yuasa that my 2014 came with. Bikes always on a battery tender. Just started it a few days ago no issues. I'll probably go with the same battery when this one goes

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Dave_imp said:
I brought up a thread about batteries back in 2022, when I last changed my battery. I'm bringing it up again because with the way technology progresses so rapidly, maybe there are some different battery options out there that someone can help me with?

The battery life on my 2014 DLX is rather disappointing. My original battery lasted 32 months. I replaced it with a YUSA battery, and purchased a Battery Tender; the Battery Tender was connected whenever my bike was not being ridden. When this battery lasted 68 months, I thought the Battery Tender was my answer to short battery life. My next YUASA battery only lasted 31 months, very similar to my OEM battery, despite being connected to a Battery Tender whenever the bike was not being ridden. These batteries are not cheap! I paid less for the battery in my truck, that came with a three year warranty!

My battery voltage is 12.5 volts with the engine off, and is 13.8 volts whenever the engine is running, which is within the factory specification.

I have a YUASA battery that I swap between my VFR800 and my XR650L. This battery is connected to a Battery Tender whenever it is not in a bike, and it lasted seven years!

Can anyone recommend a replacement battery for my CB1100? Can I use a Lithium battery? Are Lithium batteries actually that much better? Will a Lithium battery charge properly with the charging system on my CB1100, and will it charge properly connected to my Battery Tender? I'm not as concerned about price, although that is a factor, but I am interested in quality, and long life.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I was gonna tell you about my cheapo Amazon battery for $35, that it's lasted 20 months so far, but then I read your last line...

Dave_imp said:
I brought up a thread about batteries back in 2022, when I last changed my battery. I'm bringing it up again because with the way technology progresses so rapidly, maybe there are some different battery options out there that someone can help me with?

The battery life on my 2014 DLX is rather disappointing. My original battery lasted 32 months. I replaced it with a YUSA battery, and purchased a Battery Tender; the Battery Tender was connected whenever my bike was not being ridden. When this battery lasted 68 months, I thought the Battery Tender was my answer to short battery life. My next YUASA battery only lasted 31 months, very similar to my OEM battery, despite being connected to a Battery Tender whenever the bike was not being ridden. These batteries are not cheap! I paid less for the battery in my truck, that came with a three year warranty!

My battery voltage is 12.5 volts with the engine off, and is 13.8 volts whenever the engine is running, which is within the factory specification.

I have a YUASA battery that I swap between my VFR800 and my XR650L. This battery is connected to a Battery Tender whenever it is not in a bike, and it lasted seven years!

Can anyone recommend a replacement battery for my CB1100? Can I use a Lithium battery? Are Lithium batteries actually that much better? Will a Lithium battery charge properly with the charging system on my CB1100, and will it charge properly connected to my Battery Tender? I'm not as concerned about price, although that is a factor, but I am interested in quality, and long life.

Thank you for your suggestions.
 
Batteries are kind of like tires imo. For some unknown reason both last longer for some people than for others.

I can tell you Yuasa batteries are made in several countries, and for some reason those made in Japan seem to last longer for me, than those made in Vietnam or other places. I generally get 4 years out of a Japanese Yuasa in my street bikes. The Japanese Yuasa in my quad is 10 years old , only gets started in the winter when I need to plow snow, sometimes just twice a winter, but this winter I used it 8 times and it still starts the quad. Its a mystery to me why the 10 year old battery is still functioning, when my street bikes get ridden over 300 days a year on average.

All my batteries are always on battery tender Jrs whenever they are not being ridden.

I have no experience with Lithium batteries.
 
I recall that Flynrider (and others as well but for some reason I remember his thread particularly) had a good experience with lithium batteries. My own view was that I couldn't be sure they'd repay the significant extra cost and they wouldn't work with my existing charger so I stuck with told technology. I was unpersuaded that the Yusa was worth the extra cost so I went with DynaVolt. The first of those lasted 4 years and the second is already close to that.

Actually, the bit about being unpersuaded about the value of Yuasa batteries is not quite true. When the first battery died, I was on a ride so I went to the nearest Honda dealer and they sold me the DynaVolt. It lasted 4 years and the Yuasa was way more expensive when I had to replace it, so I bought another DynaVolt.
 
I recently threw out an Optimate battery tender that was "over tenderising" the battery one one of my bikes. It was always trying to permanently hold my battery at a high voltage state, 14V or so. I know this sort of voltage would be quite normal on the road but it never seemed to be satisfied with the state of the battery at rest. The replacement battery tender has a voltage & current readout and you can view operation. After parking up the bike it might briefly charge at 13.4v and put out 0.85A (its max current rating) but soon drops to 12.3v & 0A. It will only occasionally top this up but does revert to 0A most of the time. This is on a healthy battery. Just on the off chance it might be worth checking your battery tender.
 
The last Yuasa in my CB only gave me three years of service (replacing the previous which lasted six), and getting similar service from my Triumph’s last Yuasa (both were the dry with add the included acid pack), I decided to put a $40 Amazon battery in my CB to see how long it lasts. A little over two years so far.
 
I might go with another cheap battery for my other bikes I want to roll out this season. Just didn't have good luck with the mightymax batteries in a quad few years back.

Any other "cheap" amazon batteries you guys recommend? Even getting 2 years out of a $45 battery I'd be happy

Dave, I was also thinking about going lithium for the CB next but I've heard the extreme Temps of really hot or really cold can wreck them. I live in the Northeast so I didn't wanna chance it dying after the first winter. Not sure where you're located but that may be pertinent info for you also.


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
My concern with ANY battery failing is when it fails, which for me is when I am always out on a ride. Then I have to bump start it myself to get it back home..or call for a tow truck. The last time my battery failed a few months ago I stopped to take a pic and the bike wouldn't restart when I got back on. I tried bump starting it my self, but I'm getting to old and frail I'm afraid. Luckily a couple guys saw me trying to bump start it and came and gave me a push so I was able to get it started and back home.

I have since bought a Noco jump starter to carry with me, and just plan on replacing my batteries at 4-year intervals. It's unlikely I'll be able to ride long enough to need another one in the CB though as it was just replaced last October. The NC is due for its 4-year replacement this summer.
 
My batteries usually last up to five seasons.
I buy one for an average of $130 CAD from a reputable store like FortNine, acid filled, AGM, don't care. Presently I have an AGM and acid filled batteries in my two bikes.

Batteries are less likely to fail mid-season, and they usually warn the rider about this by, for example, slow cranking. Don’t ignore this first warning sign.

At the start of a new season, I do this simple test without any device: when engine is cold AM I crank 3 times in a row and if the 3rd crank is significantly slower, I replace the battery.
Of course the best and most professional is an AVR test.
 
I usually unplug from the tender and hit the starter button and it fires right up. Then I take off. It's after I'm out on the road it won't start when the battery goes bad. There is no slow crank warning. Either it starts instantly or there is no life.

Peter what do you mean by cranking 3 times? With the kill switch off? You hit the button on my CB and it starts instantly it doesn't crank.
 
I guess we could take the bike off the battery tender and then check for voltage dropping with a multimeter over the course of a few days to make sure its holding a charge also.

Recently figured out thats what was happening with a car battery

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Thank all you guys for your answers! Wow, Ferret got ten years out of a battery! I'll do my battery research today, and I won't limit it to YUASA (Dyna Volt sounds like an option - is this Chinese?). I think I remember seeing where the YUASA battery was manufactured (maybe the YUASA website?) when I recently replaced my VFR800 battery, and I'll see if I can purchase a battery manufactured in Japan. Thanks again guys!
 
The ferret_imp said:
I usually unplug from the tender and hit the starter button and it fires right up. Then I take off. It's after I'm out on the road it won't start when the battery goes bad. There is no slow crank warning. Either it starts instantly or there is no life.

Peter what do you mean by cranking 3 times? With the kill switch off? You hit the button on my CB and it starts instantly it doesn't crank.
I usually unplug from the tender and hit the starter button and it fires right up. - maybe that's why you never have any warning sign of a weak battery...
I may charge the battery 1-3 times during the winter if I don't ride like in this weird season.
I never charge the battery at all during my riding season, the CB does that.

If the kill/red switch is activated = no crank at all.
Crank/starts then shut off and repeat 3 times in a row...don't do it every day/time.
I do this simple test before my new season begins.
Of course I have a voltmeter and also can do an AVR test/battery load test if I want, but not everyone has it...
 
Thread starter
Hi Guys. In my battery research, I just discovered that new YUASA batteries require an initial charge, and states "THE BATTERY CHARGER USED FOR INITIAL CHARGING SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHARGE AT 12.8+ VOLTS FOR AN AGM BATTERY". I've always used my Battery Tender charger for my initial charge on new batteries, but I don't know what the output voltage is. I just tested all four of my battery tenders, and none of them register any output voltage! I can't believe that all four of my battery tenders are malfunctioning, and my volt meter measures battery voltage accurately. Is there something in the circuitry of a Battery Tender that prevents me from measuring the output voltage? Do any of you have any experience using a battery tender to apply the initial charge to a new battery? Thank you.
 
Yes they are basically "smart chargers" if they are not sensing the circuit (hooked up to a battery) they will not pump out voltage. (I may have butchered that explanation)

Thats why they are safe to leave on long term because they will drop the output voltage when the battery is at full capacity and just maintain a "trickle" charge as needed.

At least that is my understanding. Someone smarter will chime in im sure



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
Yes they are basically "smart chargers" if they are not sensing the circuit (hooked up to a battery) they will not pump out voltage. (I may have butchered that explanation)

Thats why they are safe to leave on long term because they will drop the output voltage when the battery is at full capacity and just maintain a "trickle" charge as needed.

At least that is my understanding. Someone smarter will chime in im sure



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca

That's my understanding as to how a battery tender works. If there is a drop in battery voltage it charges until it's full then goes into rest mode..hence a "tender"

FAQs | Battery Tender

Battery Tender
Battery Tender® Battery Chargers and Portable Power › pages › faqs
They automatically switch to a safe float voltage level that keeps the battery charged and yet does not do any harm to the battery.
 
In my experience, the factory YTZ batteries from Yuasa I had in both my 2013 and 2014 CBs, and a replacement YTZ in my 2004 Bonneville all failed without warning, within about 4-5 years. The older YTX series seem more reliable.

All of them lived on trickle chargers, and they started up fine, but one failed as I was riding, the other two wouldn't restart after I stopped at a destination. They bump started or were jumped, and got me home fine, but couldn't be trusted.

Cheap replacement batteries I've bought off Amazon, maybe 1/4 of the price or less, have been more reliable and longer lasting. Even so, I now carry one of those jumper packs in my Aerostich.
 
Dave_imp said:
Thank all you guys for your answers! Wow, Ferret got ten years out of a battery! I'll do my battery research today, and I won't limit it to YUASA (Dyna Volt sounds like an option - is this Chinese?). I think I remember seeing where the YUASA battery was manufactured (maybe the YUASA website?) when I recently replaced my VFR800 battery, and I'll see if I can purchase a battery manufactured in Japan. Thanks again guys!
Yes.
 
Back
Top