Your user name is in danger

My riding buddy called me LongRanger because I enjoyed Iron Butt events and could ride 300 miles without stopping on my stock Kawasaki Concours 1000 (it held 7.5 gallons of gas).
 
Kudos to GO for identifying another great old thread.

Pterodactyl_imp said:
Mine, Pterodactyl, for two reasons that kind of bookend most of my working life. Firstly, as a young lad I spent some time in a South East Asian country. For a part of this highly entertaining interlude I was in the service of one Lyndon Baines Johnson, who, as the 36th President of the United States was my Commanding Officer (Sorry, LBJ, I do you an injustice. You were actually Commander of the Armed Forces and there was a whole heap of brass buttons between us. Nevertheless I served you loyally). During the course of this service "Pterodactyl" was assigned to me, and others of our happy little band, as a radio call sign . It seemed to be eminently suitable, particularly when pronounced by my mates from the 28th state. Sort of like Teerrror - dactyl; with a unique rising cadence on the first syllable to a slight pause, an emphasis on the d and an explosive drawling final syllable. They talked kinda funny, but were brave, reliable and masters of "finding" hard liquor in the most unlikely places. Anyway, I stole that call sign and used it occasionally over the next few years.

Finally (at last you say!), in the twilight of my working life I find "Pterodactyl" once again eminently appropriate. A bloody old dinosaur who used to do a bit of flying!

Cheers
So wait.... I thought you were Aussie all this time. You're a Texan???

So far as my user name is concerned, my Dad (who passed away last year) always had tommymck as his user name for emails and such. I sort of adopted it (I'm a junior). I get odd PMs from time to time from scuba enthusiasts or kite boarders or people preparing for mountain climbs thinking I'm my Dad.
 
tommymck, I’m having a beer with Pterodactyl as I write. He’s no more a Texan than is Chairman Mao, but he’s told me he’s an honorary “Aggie”.
 
Many moons ago I had a 16' aluminum fishing boat and had earned a bare boat charter certificate. I sailed lake superior, Puget Sound, Chesapeake Bay, and the Caribbean. I sailed with a friend, who I shall call 'Commodore', on Lake Superior who owned a big cutter rig. He couldn't sail it alone, or navigate, and was prone to sea sickness. He invited me aboard often. It was the commodore who gave me the title 'Tin Boat Captain' and it stuck.
jim
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Phonetic spelling of my initials. MT C
I'm sure that I've mentioned this elsewhere, but "Empty Sea" was going to be the name of my sailing yacht on which I was going to sail the world. Life interrupted that plan, but put a motorcycle rather than a boat under me. I don't believe in naming my motorcycles so I chose to name myself, so to speak.

MTC
 
The yacht I never bought would have been named "Leala Who" after a Dr. Who companion. As you said; "life got in the way". Then it became too much work being a deck monkey.
jim
 
you know it's interesting, but one of the jobs of a moderator is to check on members who want to join and see which ones are spam. You'd think that some nicknames would be dead giveaways, and they are ..example..R3giN47d47 a spammer trying to sell Ipad repairs (spammers are not that creative), but often ordinary nicknames will fool ya. You think that a clue in their nickname would be a clue to what country they are from or what part of this country they are from...but some are real foolers. For example someone that joined a few days ago KenCal01 in his nickname and I'm thinking Ken from California, but when I checked, actually he was from Virginia. Bronco Billy I figured was from Texas or Denver but no he was from Florida. Svending I figured was from a Nordic country like Norway or Switzerland but no he was from Taiwan. gone2vegas is from Arizona, but RCastoWV is indeed from West Virginia. Go figure lol.

nicknames are funny things,often with meaning in them, and often not. At least that I can tell.
 
Looking back, I'm thankful to be alive as the nick name Flat out applied to all manor of motor sports(motorcycles, cars, boats etc) Today is more describes still enjoying the same things with an much lower risk level and then lying Flat out on a lawn chair in appreciation of still be able to ride or drive, enjoy family, friends and life in general.
Awesome topic.
thanks
t.
 
I was a member of the DESERT VIPERS, an off-road motorcycle club that hosted the Adelanto Gran Prix.....I use Desert Viper on 6 different m/c forums....
 
My first name is Brian, last name Hold.....

So my whole life (from middle school on in Ohio) I was called Ho. When I moved to NC (without any prompting from me) the name B Ho was given to me by the South Boston crew I hung with. Enter Snoop Dog and B Ho went to Bheezy as in fo sheezy. 27403 was my zip.

I bartended for many years here and many people know me and I would say a good 30% don't know my real name, they just know me as B Ho.
 
Haggard Rider, as opposed to Rider Haggard the author, whose books I so enjoyed as a youngster, but rather to reflect the general appearance of a care-worn 65 year old who has only just started riding and finds it somewhat overwhelming - together with a measure of "why didn't I do this back in 1970"
 
Casey Jones was a locomotive engineer who found a heroic death trying to stop his train and save the lives of his passengers. His legend has inspired several songs including a rather irreverential one from the Grateful Dead whose refrain I sing to myself when I get too excited on my bike and goes "Casey Jones you better watch your speed"
 
Well mine goes back to childhood. My brother was into motocross completion. He used Team Vise Grip and Moto Exotica as his team name. He stuck with Moto Exotica... Many years later I started to race RC trucks with the kids at a local race track. Was never any good but needed a team name... Loved Team Vise Grip so much I stole it from my brother. But that was @ 30 years ago he was using it. I felt there was no trade mark infringement! LOL!

So on all my race trucks I used TVG13 for Team Vise Grip #13. Yup 13 is an unlucky number and fit my racing style! LOL!

So now 30 years later I will begin to get stickers made for some of my modified bikes. I use TVG13 and Teamvisegrip as my name out here.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Self-explanatory to most folks. My head is sort of cube-shaped. Wife gave me the nickname about 25 yrs ago and it stuck....helmet choices kinda limited haha....
Here I am reposting my explanation from years ago...can’t believe this thread is almost five years old, time sure does fly...nuff said :D
 
Back
Top