What's the story of your online user name

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,

As I hang out on this Forum more, I find myself wondering about the background of some of the user names I come across. Some are funny, some are creative, some are obvious and some I can't figure out what they mean. There is a story for each and every one.

I started using mine on a Forum in 2009 after reading Robert Pirsig's book "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I related to a character within the book, so I took the name and altered the spelling to make it unique to my application. that book set me on path to go on studying Philosophy and minoring in Philosophy in college.

What are your stories for user names?

Cheers!
 
I've been using mine for years having been involved in satellite tv forums in the past as moderator and administrator on some sites. The name was a simple amalgamation of my at that time dog's name - Kiowa and the town I lived in - Eagle. Many get the impression I'm native American. I am not.
 
Mine is a reference to a schlocky 1974 movie, Gone in 60 Seconds. It was the first "grown up" movie I think I ever saw. When I saw the commercials for it, I begged Dad to take me. I love that the movie takes place in the South Bay area of California, where I grew up. Watching it today, as bad as it is, I'm reminded of what my childhood looked like.

The main character is a car thief who fronts as an insurance investigator. Later in life, when I became an insurance investigator, I saw first-hand the types of things the character did in the movie, like transfer the VIN plates from a wrecked car to a stolen identical car. The star car was a Mustang, I love Mustangs...
 
Mine (Au2O3) has no sensible connection with the CB1100. Zero. Nadda.

It is essentially random dribble that is actually challenging to create in the lab.
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Rats, I searched and got nothing in return before I started the post. Sorry 'bout that... :blush:
Rats, I searched and got nothing in return before I started the post. Sorry 'bout that... :blush:
That's ok, it's been a couple of years since that older thread. A lot of those guys are gone and we have a lot of new guys who haven't explained their handles yet
 
It’s fine, Phadreus. Ferret or I can merge the threads if you like.
 
Pick the explanation that suits your fancy:

Option 1: EmptySea was picked as I am highly concerned about how climate change may effect our ocean fisheries and leave us with empty seas across the globe.

Option 2: I feel alone in this world...like a man in a rowboat on an empty sea

Option 3: "Empty Sea" is a somewhat phonetic spelling of my initials: MTC
 
My initials are DRA, with my last name starting ALD. When I was at Boot Camp, one of the guys in my platoon stenciled a "B" on some masking tape and put it in front of the piece on my locker that had my last name to recognize my hairstyle (or lack thereof). People were asking me if I was upset, I thought it was hilarious.


146 is a reference to the route I used to live at.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Pick the explanation that suits your fancy:

Option 1: EmptySea was picked as I am highly concerned about how climate change may effect our ocean fisheries and leave us with empty seas across the globe.

Option 2: I feel alone in this world...like a man in a rowboat on an empty sea

Option 3: "Empty Sea" is a somewhat phonetic spelling of my initials: MTC
Has to be this one!
 
Nothing to it. Last name first. First name last. I don't believe in anonymity. Always show my face and say my name - they are both kinda nice lol

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s fine, Phadreus. Ferret or I can merge the threads if you like.
Sounds great to me Cormanus, thx!
EmptySea_imp said:
Pick the explanation that suits your fancy:

Option 1: EmptySea was picked as I am highly concerned about how climate change may effect our ocean fisheries and leave us with empty seas across the globe.

Option 2: I feel alone in this world...like a man in a rowboat on an empty sea

Option 3: "Empty Sea" is a somewhat phonetic spelling of my initials: MTC
Love this, clever stuff. Three distinctly different meanings and yet all meaningful to the man....nice MTC!
 
Tev62 - 62 is the obvious birth year and Tev was coined by a ships bursar when I was a teenage Engineering Officer Cadet in the Merchant Navy (Merchant Marine). Tev is short for Terry which is short for Terence.
 
pdedse_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Pick the explanation that suits your fancy:

Option 1: EmptySea was picked as I am highly concerned about how climate change may effect our ocean fisheries and leave us with empty seas across the globe.

Option 2: I feel alone in this world...like a man in a rowboat on an empty sea

Option 3: "Empty Sea" is a somewhat phonetic spelling of my initials: MTC
Has to be this one!
Has to be this one! That looks correct pdedse. :D
 
When I rode a ZG1000 Concours in the mid-90’s, my riding buddies called me the Long Ranger because I could ride over 300 miles on its 7.5 gallon gas tank. Once I got into LD riding, the moniker kind of stuck, but those days are over.
 
Its my Playstation and Xbox name.
Usually their software adds numbers to any name you choose (eg Mix7834) and ruins it so its play with letters game to get a name with no numbers after it and this is what I settled on, no real meaning or connection to me but its easy to see on a list of online players.
 
Mine is a character from the short movie The Point a story about a boy who lives in a world where every one has a pointed head except him , he and his dog Arrow go on a journey to understand why he doesn’t have a pointed head. It’s a children’s animated film, to help kids understand people’s differences .
 
Back
Top