Your user name is in danger

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Of being a secret.

Ok guys, I'm curious as to what your chosen sign in names are derived from.

I'll start, my nick name is Turtle, and I took the Spanish form 'Tortuga' having just finished watching Breaking Bad which featured a drug baron of the same name.

And your names mean???
 
I'll go second. I've pinched Cormanus from my father who used it as a code name when he was a POW. It is derived from the motto on the family coat of arms which is Cor et Manus Concordat.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I'll go second. I've pinched Cormanus from my father who used it as a code name when he was a POW. It is derived from the motto on the family coat of arms which is Cor et Manus Concordat.

A fantastic bit of information which I hope others will follow suit to.

Great stuff Cormanus.
 
You're welcome. It's a great question. I wish I'd thought of it.
 
That is truly cool Cormanus.

The wife and I moved from the city to a wooded place in the country 21 years ago. We were amazed at the many Cardinals that called our area home. One evening we counted 22 of these beautiful red birds in our feeder. Pamela decided to name our new home Redbird Acres.
 
I guess I'll go next.

I used to work the graveyard shift in a jail dorm, where I had no contact from any other employees, except for my (civilian) aide who worked upstairs--she kept an eye on me from shatter-proof glass while I worked on the floor with the inmates. Some of our aides were great (like the one I married! :D), and some were uh, well, socially-repressed. When you worked with one of those, it made for a very, very long, 12-hour shift.

One morning at about 4:00am, one of my buddies walked into my dorm office and surprised me with two cups of coffee, ready for some early morning chit chat. He remarked when I saw him come in with the coffee, that I lit up like Thumper the Rabbit (from Bambi), and he expected my foot to start thumping. The name stuck.
 
I really don't thing mine is much of a secret...lol.
 
I chose mine from years as a US Army Combat Engineer Officer. Sapper is a French term (kind of) for Combat Engineers. The number six (6) was the commander designation. Kind of stuck with me for 27 years.
Great question!
 
Mine got brought up in another thread. John was my dad's first name as well as my middle name, and Nevets is my first name backwards. Been using versions of this for 15 to 20 years.

This is fun to hear the stories.
 
A combination of the county where my family comes from and where I was born in the UK, the year and the country I now live in.:thumbsup:
 
LOL mine is because I have a 13 cb and a 96 vfr. I was so excited to join up I typed 12cb96vfr and didn't realize till it was too late hahaha whoops!
 
Mine, Pterodactyl, for two reasons that kind of bookend most of my working life. Firstly, as a young lad I spent some time in a South East Asian country. For a part of this highly entertaining interlude I was in the service of one Lyndon Baines Johnson, who, as the 36th President of the United States was my Commanding Officer (Sorry, LBJ, I do you an injustice. You were actually Commander of the Armed Forces and there was a whole heap of brass buttons between us. Nevertheless I served you loyally). During the course of this service "Pterodactyl" was assigned to me, and others of our happy little band, as a radio call sign . It seemed to be eminently suitable, particularly when pronounced by my mates from the 28th state. Sort of like Teerrror - dactyl; with a unique rising cadence on the first syllable to a slight pause, an emphasis on the d and an explosive drawling final syllable. They talked kinda funny, but were brave, reliable and masters of "finding" hard liquor in the most unlikely places. Anyway, I stole that call sign and used it occasionally over the next few years.

Finally (at last you say!), in the twilight of my working life I find "Pterodactyl" once again eminently appropriate. A bloody old dinosaur who used to do a bit of flying!

Cheers
 
Back
Top