Your Last Bike Before the CB?

In about 2012 I bought a 1986 Honda Nighthawk 650. Shaft drive, six speed... bulletproof. Ran great but the bike felt a bit small for me and underpowered.
 
Triumph Bonneville. Loved owning that bike. The only thing I changed was the seat (Mustang, which I highly recommend if you're a Bonneville owner). But I did have some plans for her. She needed new shoes, the AI system deleted, the air filter changed out for something a little more free flowing and a brake upgrade. I was also eying a 2-1 exhaust system and I've wanted to put a tach on her since the day she rolled outta the showroom. When I walked into my dealer with the intent to start ordering some of this stuff and saw the Honda clearance, huge markdown and bonus cash on the last, lonely 2014 CB1100 Standard left, I traded her in.
 
Thread starter
DJS_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
i have been riding for about 14 years. my wife also rides (we started riding at the same time taking the class together). she has a 2005 sportster 883l and a kawasaki ER6n that is now oficially hers and not a "shared" cycle.
started on my wifes honda rebel (her 1st cycle) for a few weeks until we got a suzuki savage (her 2nd cycle). when she was ready to move up to the savage (after a summer) i got myself a honda nighthawk. it just wasn't right for me at that time so i got rid of it and got another savage for myself. rode that until i got a 2003 sportster 883R.
the cb1100 was an addition to the stable.
The Savage has quite a cult following with some and the Savage forum is an interesting read. This is what I did with a Savage.

a025e555cc32def27c354b92ac794612.jpg


eb104ee75d362b38e872432dfda492c0.jpg
nice. wish i had the skills to do that.
always wanted this one...


i was a member on a savage forum long time ago.
at americade one year when the mrs and i were both on our savages we ran into the sister ( i think) of the forum founder.


on mine i changed the rear a bit...

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/00savage/PDC_0022.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/library/00savage?sort=3&page=1]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/...t=3&page=1

If I ever do another Ryca kit I'll do that one also. The cafe racer was sold, too uncomfortable for old man like me.

No special skills or tools needed. The Ryca kits are well done and their Youtube videos are instructive.
grayta_imp said:
My wife had a Bonnie for a while. She never warmed up to it but I liked it and rode it more than she did. Stock seat was the worst I ever sat on.
 
2003 VFR 800. Great bike just not the best riding position for me anymore. The CB came into view but I waited on another color and then came the DLX version and that's all she wrote.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
2003 VFR 800. Great bike just not the best riding position for me anymore. The CB came into view but I waited on another color and then came the DLX version and that's all she wrote.
Did you ever try risers on the VFR? I wanted a VFR but knew the low bars would be a deal breaker.
 
Gentlemen,

I didn't trade in or sell a bike to buy the CB11. I added it to the mix. The last two bikes I sold were a Triumph Bonneville and a Ducati Monster 900S. Bikes I have in my garage now with the CB11 are...Harley Davidson Road Glide, Ducati Monster 796 (my son's), Husqvarna 250WR, Yamaha TW200, Honda CRF250X, Honda XR70.

Chip
 



Sometimes I will ride up the OHV trials on the DRZ400, canyon carve in the Ninja 250 and cruise two up on the cb1100 in the same day.

I don't think i can get rid of any of these bikes.
 
redbirds_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
2003 VFR 800. Great bike just not the best riding position for me anymore. The CB came into view but I waited on another color and then came the DLX version and that's all she wrote.
Did you ever try risers on the VFR? I wanted a VFR but knew the low bars would be a deal breaker.
Did you ever try risers on the VFR? I wanted a VFR but knew the low bars would be a deal breaker. No, I never did. Somehow that seemed like I was making the bike something it wasn't. It just came down to me wanting a more standard layout.
 
'93 Nighthawk CB750. I still have it and it gets about as much riding time as the CB1100.

f57ef82c7b58215e0318b9c82fffb72e.jpg
 
redbirds_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
i have been riding for about 14 years. my wife also rides (we started riding at the same time taking the class together). she has a 2005 sportster 883l and a kawasaki ER6n that is now oficially hers and not a "shared" cycle.
started on my wifes honda rebel (her 1st cycle) for a few weeks until we got a suzuki savage (her 2nd cycle). when she was ready to move up to the savage (after a summer) i got myself a honda nighthawk. it just wasn't right for me at that time so i got rid of it and got another savage for myself. rode that until i got a 2003 sportster 883R.
the cb1100 was an addition to the stable.
The Savage has quite a cult following with some and the Savage forum is an interesting read. This is what I did with a Savage.

a025e555cc32def27c354b92ac794612.jpg


eb104ee75d362b38e872432dfda492c0.jpg
I'm not a fan of the Savage - I had one briefly; I'm too big and that engine was too anemic. But...what you did there...I don't generally like bobbers but THAT is WELL DONE. :thumbsup:
 
VF700C MAGNA. Still have it. The push rod oil seal started leaking so I attempted to replace it. Ended up cracking the engine block trying to remove the water pump. Couldn't find a dealer to work on it and the only mechanic I found advised me to buy another bike because the cost to repair it would exceed the value of the bike. She is still in the garage waiting for me to decide on her impending doom. It is a shame.

 
SanPete_imp said:
VF700C MAGNA. Still have it. The push rod oil seal started leaking so I attempted to replace it. Ended up cracking the engine block trying to remove the water pump. Couldn't find a dealer to work on it and the only mechanic I found advised me to buy another bike because the cost to repair it would exceed the value of the bike. She is still in the garage waiting for me to decide on her impending doom. It is a shame.



Man, that is a beautiful bike. I always lusted after a Magna. I had Dunlop Qualifiers on my CX500 Custom back in the day . . . Do they still make and sell those?
 
Well...not sure if this one counts...but it was the last bike I owned, and sold, prior to my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe. My 2013 CB1100...

90b7c02fccae4e1f47785e04777508aa.jpg


This is the one I bought prior to my CB's...and I still have her today.
A 2009 Kawasaki KLR650...

f0cfdeff7cf3e42c13e306859b231c85.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top