Your dream bike final drive?

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Alright, I am putting this out there:

I am curious what riders prefer for their final drive.

To help narrow the scope, consider the question in regards to "touring".

Final drives that come to mind include:

* Chain
* Belt
* Shaft
* Electric drive
* Other?
* In some extreme and unfortunate cases: Feet.

Each type might be broken down into further detail, so please share.

- - -

I will start: I prefer shaft drive, and the lighter the better for me. I understand that lighter implies accepting certain side-effects. However, I can mostly live with that, unless of course a newer mechanical arrangement is available. I will say that I am open to new technologies in belt drive, but their implementations are still somewhat gaudy.

Thoughts?
 
I prefer shaft drive in a touring motorcycle and I don't care what it weighs, I'm not carrying it.
 
It depends for what bike size and purpose:
1* For my CB & riding , I am OK with chain.
2* If it came with shaft, I'd be happy as well.
3* In general, small, sports bikes = chain, big/heavy ones = shaft.
4* As to belt = doesn't fit classic bikes, am not crazy about it's look
 
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
+1
1. Shaft to avoid chain maintenance.
2. Belt if you don't have to take half the bike apart to replace it.
3. Chain. Better now that I use chain wax.
 
For a touring or sport-touring bike, my preference is shaft, but only if it's a single swingarm design (Paralever, CARC, etc.). Wheel removal on a shaft drive bike with a dual swingarm design can be a pain.

That said, on the CB, I think anything other than chain drive would be out of character and unnecessary.
 
Shaft drive, especially on a touring bike. Chains are so much better now they're hardly a bother even on a trip. Belt drive requires large sprockets that look a bit wierd to me and they can be incapacitated by a pebble, however they are clean and require little maintenance.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
So accessible!
Now that looks like a "sewing machine" to me.
Up to this point:

Shaft: 8
Chain: 2
Belt: 0
Other: 0
Nortoon_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
+1
1. Shaft to avoid chain maintenance.
2. Belt if you don't have to take half the bike apart to replace it.
3. Chain. Better now that I use chain wax.
+1
1. Shaft to avoid chain maintenance.
2. Belt if you don't have to take half the bike apart to replace it.
3. Chain. Better now that I use chain wax.
You still own the V7?
 
2016 V7II traded on 2018 Yamaha XT250, which was traded in on the new 2014 CB1100.
CB sold back to dealer on 4 Sep, after ~12,500 miles, a month after I developed eye issues.
 
Thread starter
Sport'Doc: Sorry to learn about your eye challenges. Really ... the most critical organs connecting you to the experience. I wish you find a solution, and resume the journey.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
+1
1. Shaft to avoid chain maintenance.
2. Belt if you don't have to take half the bike apart to replace it.
3. Chain. Better now that I use chain wax.
Oh yes! I let it dry overnight and no flying off onto the wheel.
LongRanger_imp said:
For a touring or sport-touring bike, my preference is shaft, but only if it's a single swingarm design (Paralever, CARC, etc.). Wheel removal on a shaft drive bike with a dual swingarm design can be a pain.

That said, on the CB, I think anything other than chain drive would be out of character and unnecessary.
Yep!
GoldOxide_imp said:
Sport'Doc: Sorry to learn about your eye challenges. Really ... the most critical organs connecting you to the experience. I wish you find a solution, and resume the journey.
Thank you. I promised family that #17 was final bike, so 55 years of riding has come to an end. I now have full (almost full?) movement of right eye, double vision only occurs looking far right and I can now drive with both eyes open. So now I am limited to vicarious motorcycling through this and one other forum. Cause remains unknown. Doctor thinks it is too limited to be a stroke.

I accepted Iodine injection for CT Scan and nothing found.

Peter Baron kindly asked via email about the scheduled MRI/MRA. I balked at Gadolinium injection for MRI/MRA, so doctor ordered MRI/MRA without contrast; but I backed out when the "catcher's mask" was put on and told to be still for 25 minutes. More claustrophobic than I thought. Radiology voided the co-pay.
 
I'm a big fan of the modern chain drive. With O-rings and wax based lubricants, maintenance and clean up are minimal. I like that chains are light, simple and make rear wheel removal a piece of cake.

I was a big fan of shaft drive back in the 80s. Those standard chains and heavy sticky lube were a maintenance nightmare. It made the jacking tendency of early shafties very easy to live with.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
+1
1. Shaft to avoid chain maintenance.
2. Belt if you don't have to take half the bike apart to replace it.
3. Chain. Better now that I use chain wax.
Oh yes! I let it dry overnight and no flying off onto the wheel.
LongRanger_imp said:
For a touring or sport-touring bike, my preference is shaft, but only if it's a single swingarm design (Paralever, CARC, etc.). Wheel removal on a shaft drive bike with a dual swingarm design can be a pain.

That said, on the CB, I think anything other than chain drive would be out of character and unnecessary.
Yep!
GoldOxide_imp said:
Sport'Doc: Sorry to learn about your eye challenges. Really ... the most critical organs connecting you to the experience. I wish you find a solution, and resume the journey.
Thank you. I promised family that #17 was final bike, so 55 years of riding has come to an end. I now have full (almost full?) movement of right eye, double vision only occurs looking far right and I can now drive with both eyes open. So now I am limited to vicarious motorcycling through this and one other forum. Cause remains unknown. Doctor thinks it is too limited to be a stroke.

I accepted Iodine injection for CT Scan and nothing found.

Peter Baron kindly asked via email about the scheduled MRI/MRA. I balked at Gadolinium injection for MRI/MRA, so doctor ordered MRI/MRA without contrast; but I backed out when the "catcher's mask" was put on and told to be still for 25 minutes. More claustrophobic than I thought. Radiology voided the co-pay.
More claustrophobic than a full face helmet?
 
I absolutely believe chain drive is right for the CB 1100
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
1. Shaft, if as smooth as my V7II was
2. Belt
3. Chain, which seems very appropriate for the CB
GoldOxide_imp said:
1907 FN 412 cc Four (with shaft)
So accessible!
+1
1. Shaft to avoid chain maintenance.
2. Belt if you don't have to take half the bike apart to replace it.
3. Chain. Better now that I use chain wax.
Oh yes! I let it dry overnight and no flying off onto the wheel.
LongRanger_imp said:
For a touring or sport-touring bike, my preference is shaft, but only if it's a single swingarm design (Paralever, CARC, etc.). Wheel removal on a shaft drive bike with a dual swingarm design can be a pain.

That said, on the CB, I think anything other than chain drive would be out of character and unnecessary.
Yep!
GoldOxide_imp said:
Sport'Doc: Sorry to learn about your eye challenges. Really ... the most critical organs connecting you to the experience. I wish you find a solution, and resume the journey.
Thank you. I promised family that #17 was final bike, so 55 years of riding has come to an end. I now have full (almost full?) movement of right eye, double vision only occurs looking far right and I can now drive with both eyes open. So now I am limited to vicarious motorcycling through this and one other forum. Cause remains unknown. Doctor thinks it is too limited to be a stroke.

I accepted Iodine injection for CT Scan and nothing found.

Peter Baron kindly asked via email about the scheduled MRI/MRA. I balked at Gadolinium injection for MRI/MRA, so doctor ordered MRI/MRA without contrast; but I backed out when the "catcher's mask" was put on and told to be still for 25 minutes. More claustrophobic than I thought. Radiology voided the co-pay.
Oh yes! I let it dry overnight and no flying off onto the wheel.
Ok, I need to learn about this. i've been religiously cleaning and oiling my chain for a while now, what's the wax i keep hearing about?
 
Back
Top