You guys are right, Honda just didn't get the word out

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Today on my trip, stopped to get gas, and when I was done some dude comes walking out of the store snapping pics with his Iphone, at first I thought he was some freak taking pics of me, but quickly realized it was the bike he was interested in (whew).

"Nice bike! What year is that?"

"2014"

The look on his face was priceless, just stunned.

"Really? It looks like an old one"

"Yes sir, Honda brought these in starting in 2013 and after two years they quit bringing them in, you should be able to find one like this at a good deal"

"I had no idea Honda was building a bike like this"



This is the second time this has happened and I've only had the bike a month!

I think Honda could sell a bunch more if they tried a little harder....
 
DaSwami, if Honda tried at all there'd probably be more CB1100s about the place.
 
I get that almost every time I stop somewhere long enough to take my helmet off. Which usually leads into "I used to have a......"
 
It's sad that many motorcyclists do not know that Honda ever built this bike. Honda had no interest in promoting the CB and it shows.
 
Its not just the CB. I just sold my 2010 Honda NT700V (a what seven hundred what? you ask). and the same thing would happen.
True, it didn't draw in the people like the CB does, but when they would ask me who made my bike and I'd say Honda, they would look puzzled since no one even knew that Honda made a mid size sport tourer. They knew of Honda's sport bikes, maybe a cruiser, and of course, the Gold Wing, that's it.
 
Classic,

I almost ended up with a NT700. Just thought it was somewhat pricey and a tad underpowered. Looked hard at it though.
 
happened to me again last week..
A guy that used to have the original CB1100F.
He had 1/2 a clue though, he asked if it was new or restored.
After I told him that it was new and what year it was, he asked if they made any other sizes in addition to the 1100 (I wish ! where's my 400-4 ??)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Classic,

I almost ended up with a NT700. Just thought it was somewhat pricey and a tad underpowered. Looked hard at it though.
I thought the power was just OK. They really stretched the "sport" part of sport tourer label though. The CB blows it away in the handling department. As an open road tourer it was very good. Honda reliability and manners and all. Like I always say, buy lightly used and let the original owner take the 30% depreciation hit. I let mine go with less than 2000 miles on it with some $1K in extra options for $4995.
 
I think it's a double edged sword. I was looking through cycle trader for a new ride when I saw what clearly must have been a misprint. A 2014 CB1100? A quick google search and the rest is history. My point is that I was able to convince the dealer that nobody wanted this bike, which would explain the dust, and the fact that they are posting it on cycle trader tells me no one else is interested. After a couple of weeks of waiting and a few phone calls, I walked away with a heck of a deal. On the other hand, as we all know there are not many aftermarket parts here. I guess we will just have to make our own.
 
This thread reminds me a lot of the Honda NT650 Hawk that came out in 1988.
The trade magazines liked it, but it wasn't this or that and didn't have enough of this or that. It sold fairly well, but by the end of the run there were a lot of leftovers. That's how I got mine.
I bought a brand new 1989 model in 1992 and rode it over 80,000 km's until I moved up to the 2002 CB900F. I fed it fresh oil, filters and tires and it ran and ran without a hiccup. Now, I wish I hadn't sold the Hawk, but I see it quite often and it still looks almost as good as it did when I had it.
The Hawk lasted until 1992(?) and then was discontinued in North America, but carried on in Europe with shaft drive and eventually became the Deauville (spelling?).
As the years passed it became a cult bike with a huge following and is still loved by many.
I think the CB1100 may go the way of the Hawk since it appears that it has been discontinued in this market, and only those of us lucky ones know what a great bike it is.
 
I mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the perfect ad campaign for the CB1100 would involve the actual ownership experience. A number of members bought their CBs based on reading this forum. Since it's such a great all-around machine, people that own the CB1100 tend to like it quite a bit. Most of us are really happy with the bike and it shows. I also understand that quite a few people have moved on, parting ways with the CB1100 — but in most cases that hasn't been because they didn't like the bike.

While doubtful, if Honda were to bring the CB1100 back to North America in 2016, they could do a lot worse than to use some of the sentiment shared on this forum on a daily basis. So many bikes available today are geared towards a specific purpose. Not everyone out there wants/needs a specialty bike such as a crotch rocket, adventure bike, cruiser, etc.. There are plenty of motorcyclists that just like to ride. Mix in a bit of touring, commuting or what have you and the CB1100 will still put a smile on your face. I know it still puts a smile on my face after 2+ years of ownership. I suppose that is the CB1100's specialty.

We all tend to know that the beauty of this bike lies deeper than the chrome and paint. The enjoyable characteristics reveal themselves more and more over time. Something that is lost in a review based on spending a day on the bike. Ride Apart was one of the few motojournalism resources that I know of to actually spend a good amount o time with the bike. This review remains perhaps my all time favorite due to that fact. They really did a good job characterizing the bike. It's really too bad that Honda didn't put some effort into marketing the CB1100 in this market.
 
I took a ride along the coast yesterday. It was a beautiful, though hot, day. Much like today. As I waited for a light to change, I heard a voice call out, "Hey!" I looked over and there was a 20-something year old guy who gave me the rocker salute accompanied by, "Sweet bike!" I thanked him and off I went. Felt good. I'm going to brave the heat again today but this time plan to travel inland. Maybe I'll get some admiring glances from the cows.
 
Ok showing my age...what is a rocker salute?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok showing my age...what is a rocker salute?
Haha. I suspect you've given a few even if you didn't know that's what you were doing. Take your hand and hold down your ring and middle finger with your thumb. Extend your forefinger and pinky fingers straight. Now, raise your arm up, holding your hand head high or higher. You have now given the rocker salute! (Violently rocking your head back and forth - "headbanging" - is optional.)

"For those about to rock! We salute you!" - AC/DC
 
Oh yea, we used to use that differently when I was a kid lol
 
If you know Chicago then you know that if they posted an ad in Wicker Park with some hipster in a Bell Bullitt helmet and brown bomber cruising on the CB, their sales could have jumped a bit. Bonnies and TUs are known around here, but the CB could have turned some heads if the exposure was there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top