You can't do that, Panier install

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was going to design and build my own brackets and use ammo cans but these came up for a good price and I couldn't pass them up. However, they are not designed to work with the Honda rack. But I am not easily deterred either.

After a little fiddling I was able to mount the brackets by replacing the rear spacers in the Honda rack hardware.

a6f15ddce359a22d70a28fda1edda948.jpg


cc8475b8c5b213f896474bf15bb499ee.jpg


11b5c4e161e9af7e1cfbdb9f504c5bfa.jpg


1c62a8693bba94c6830c11e676e7cb40.jpg


dfc163b94f8fa66f1b9c32d6ec50d9ff.jpg


12c30de5d5498ee6efd8c9feb3dfd263.jpg


38ae52d4221e13d6ce881715f8631465.jpg

4952af240ac0b72bf1b0bc0685da851a.jpg


fdf729c3d2368178e45e6a312640c1e0.jpg



This is the spacer that made everything fit. 3/4" long.
36fc01b581b43241d53acc1bf08b4a0d.jpg
 
Nice job Kenny! They look great!

If that spacer is all it takes, you would think the manufacturer could have figured that out and included them.
 
Thread starter
They are mounted a little tighter to the bike like this and could rub on the rack a little. Nothing bad, but enough that it could make a mark over time on the inside, non visible side.

The rack fitment is also not ideal but it goes together if all 4 bolts are installed loose before tightening anything. The rack then conforms to the spacers when tightened and has plenty of flex to accommodate the needed spacers. I don't expect any issues with it.
 
Any plans for the turn signals?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Any plans for the turn signals?
I already had them relocated to the license plate.
 
Good job.

I've also purchased a set of these cases and they should arrive today. I am nervous to see if they will fit with my sissybar and/or my Kimija bar.

Any reason you left the factory grab handle blinker mount pieces on the bike? They aren't doing anything other than wasting weight. I left mine off even with the Kimija grab bar- cleans up the classic look.
 
Thread starter
If I take them off, I would need to get longer spacers. The rack is wide and intended to go on top of the grab rail with the supplied spacers/hardware.
 
Looks great, Kenny. A little bummed that you didn't do the ammo cans because then you could have been the guinea pig for what I want to do with my bike. LOL

Great job.
 
Excellent!

I knew that had to be the case (pun intended). I'll be referencing this thread a bunch during install. I plan to do the same. So simple. A 3/4" spacer!

This modification is probably simpler than scoring that great deal you got on those cases. I lament missing out on the recent used gear sales...Kirk Out
 
Thread starter
If you need any more pics. Let me know.
 
Thread starter
I have a few more pics of the finished pannier install.







 
Hi Chegaman. Welcome to the forum. Pop over to the new members section sometime, introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.
 
Back
Top