Yoshimura RSC full exhaust rusted in less than a year

Wow..sorry for your troubles. That really stinks.

I hope this isn't the same on my Yoshimura pipes. Mine are stainless, or so they advertise.

I hope you're able to come up with a good solution. Good luck
 
Greg,

That's terrible. I ordered a set of chrome steel headers from Samurider but I never put them on because the inside of the pipes has a light coat of rust BRAND NEW. I was leery about a non stainless exhaust because every time you shut down condensation forms inside them as the pipes cool and rust is inevitable. So I'm staying with my stainless factory header that feeds into a Staintune for now.

Chip
 
Man sorry to hear, I have the same header and I'm not looking forward to that with mines... the "good" thing though is they sell black ceramic header cans at advance/auto zone and just clean and respray it, it will look brand new.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. Of course I'm disappointed, but there are solutions. I just thought I would tell the forum because I'd read a couple of people saying "I'm thinking about the full Yoshi" and they're not going to read "will probably rust within a year" on the sellers' websites.

I did notice that the US Yoshimura site was only selling stainless steel versions of this pipe now, which wasn't the case a year ago.

Live, learn, love! It's all good.
 
I wonder if you had a local shop ceramic coat those pipes for you If you wouldn't get a lot more life out of them than the factory finish. The ceramic on mine seems thin, but a lot of the USA ceramic coating is way thicker. Your milage may vary but that's my impression.
 
My mac 4 into 1 for my CB750K did the exact same thing. I went out and bought flat black header paint, so far so good but wear a mask when spraying it!
 
Greg, it seems to be the outside down pipe, are they all doing it or just that one pipe. I mentioned to ES to put a fender extender when he bought his Yoshi, mine is pitting in the middle from road debris.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Greg, it seems to be the outside down pipe, are they all doing it or just that one pipe. I mentioned to ES to put a fender extender when he bought his Yoshi, mine is pitting in the middle from road debris.
Steve, it's my two outside pipes and only on the forward facing surfaces. It could only be caused by something in the air ... maybe bugs that burned up while degrading the finish? I'm stumped.
 
Greg_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
Greg, it seems to be the outside down pipe, are they all doing it or just that one pipe. I mentioned to ES to put a fender extender when he bought his Yoshi, mine is pitting in the middle from road debris.
Steve, it's my two outside pipes and only on the forward facing surfaces. It could only be caused by something in the air ... maybe bugs that burned up while degrading the finish? I'm stumped.
Steve, it's my two outside pipes and only on the forward facing surfaces. It could only be caused by something in the air ... maybe bugs that burned up while degrading the finish? I'm stumped.
The two outside?? I run hotter plugs on my GS1100 on the two outside cyl because they run richer and colder than my inside cyl. It looks like this is happening from the inside. I'm going to take a plug reading if I have the tank off.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
So the stainless steel pipes shouldn't rust? Would there be any issue with black pipes? I'm looking at the Moriwaki black 4-2.
Could be. Regardless of what underlying material the pipes are made from, the "black" is going to be some sort of coating that will likely degrade over time.
 
Yep Clearwater, expensive but superb quality. Been looking for my BMW for a set of extra lights. Got the money but struggle spending that much on lights. Guess I got to man up. Guess if I put it on 2 of three bike I won't cry too long.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I'm looking at the yoshimura RSCV full exhaust black stainless steel, doe's anybody have a set of these, I'm curious to how the coating will hold up, any advice maybe, I'm not a diehard all weather rider, I don't ride it when the roads are wet, I ride for an hour most days when the weather is awesome out.
 
I'm new here but I'd like to chime in. Been riding for about 40 years and have had more than one set of black headers. They just need to be painted when this happens (and it's going to happen). One possibility exists that when they were installed, they weren't cleaned before they were cured. Grease/oil from your hands will eventually lead to this if heated and allowed to cook onto the pipe surface. The fix is easy enough though. Take them off and sand lightly. Shoot them again with heat paint with a thin two coats. After you install them, clean where they were touched and go for a ride. They will smoke a bit at first and they will look brand new too.
 
Toddman_imp said:
I'm new here but I'd like to chime in. Been riding for about 40 years and have had more than one set of black headers. They just need to be painted when this happens (and it's going to happen). One possibility exists that when they were installed, they weren't cleaned before they were cured. Grease/oil from your hands will eventually lead to this if heated and allowed to cook onto the pipe surface. The fix is easy enough though. Take them off and sand lightly. Shoot them again with heat paint with a thin two coats. After you install them, clean where they were touched and go for a ride. They will smoke a bit at first and they will look brand new too.
Toddman,

Welcome, and thanks for your input:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top