Yet another battery thread...

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
:)

Putting my bike back together. Haven't plugged in the charger to see what happens with the battery..but for fun I will. I have a great charger, and a great tester afterward to see what the health is.

I'm still going to assume it is dead- so for now, I am looking at these 3 batteries, and stock of course-


Stock Battery


[url=https://www.batterymart.com/p-YTZ14S-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html]BatteryMart

[url=https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/p3488790/ytz14s-gel-12v-112ah-230cca-sla-power-sport-battery.html]MightMax Gel

[url=https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/p3485852/ytz14s-12v-112ah-230cca-sla-power-sport-battery.html]MightyMax standard
 
You'll hear people tell you all kinds of things about their battery experiences. I've always used Yuasa batteries in my bikes, and have gotten about five years out of them.
 
another oem Yuasa user here.
 
Have AGM, don't know make. Not that I wanted but needed urgently, so I bought it stock, in August/2019.
My OEM lasted 6 years.
 
Batteries! I have a chunk of experience with them. I used to have sailboats, the last of which was 40ft and had two 8D's as house batteries, plus an engine-start battery. Keeping those 8D's charged was the job I assigned to a Honda 1200 generator. The Kawi I had was a battery muncher, but that was due to an intermittent short in the charging circuit. It goes on and on.
 
Thread starter
Bought the batterymart. They show an actual building on their website, the address is something like battery rd if I remember correctly, and it has a warranty.

They have a 5% coupon, and it arrived in 2 days.

Just for fun, I decided to plug a charger into my (original) battery that hasn't been touched since my accident (almost 2 years) and it sparked while hooking up, before the charger was even plugged in. So I have it on the charger and will test with my battery tester for fun.
Soo... just went to the garage, battery charger showed charged, so I unplugged it and turned the ign on. Everything seemed ok so I fired her up.

Cranked strong, normal and fired right up the same as she ever had. Let it idle for a minute then blipped the throttle a bit.

I still have a little work left to do to replace the scraped up bits so I will let her sit for a week or two and see how the battery behaves then. I might just stick the new one on a shelf.
 
I just replaced my Yuasa, with another Yuasa. Lasted pretty much 5 years to the day. Always on an Optimate tender when the bike was not being ridden.

Man, when these Yuasa batteries fail, they fail fast. As in, cranks over fine at the start of a ride, and then won't crank at all an hour later.

The CB bump starts pretty easy though :).
 
Lol I had that same experience when mine failed. Started at home, started after my first stop, dead at the gas station which was my next stop. Bumped started it to get home.
 
Older BMWs are a lump to turn over for any battery and I was recommended an Odyssey battery.
What a difference! It spun the engine at what seemed twice the speed - really noticeably faster. I've used Odyssey batteries ever since. Really good
 
My battery is giving signs of failure so today I’m off to the dealer for a new one (OEM Yuasa) and the annual state inspection.
 
I did go to the dealer today. Parked in front and went in back to the service dept. and while filling out the work order for the inspection the mech went to ride the bike in. A few minutes later here he comes pushing the bike. “Won’t start” he said. The battery failed AT THE DEALER!

I was going to buy one anyway and install it at home, but had to pay them to do it. Such is life, no biggie.

FYI Battery prices have gone UP. Be ready if you need one.
 
As always, milord, your timing is exquisite.

The one time I had to replace a battery, it was in the middle of a ride and I took it outside onto the forecourt of the dealer and changed it myself.
 
Thread starter
What did they charge you? A ‘factory’ built battery is about $120 as I posted above.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I did go to the dealer today. Parked in front and went in back to the service dept. and while filling out the work order for the inspection the mech went to ride the bike in. A few minutes later here he comes pushing the bike. “Won’t start” he said. The battery failed AT THE DEALER!

I was going to buy one anyway and install it at home, but had to pay them to do it. Such is life, no biggie.

FYI Battery prices have gone UP. Be ready if you need one.
IIRC I paid $170 with a small discount for my OE made in Japan Yuasa.
 
They said the battery cost was $188 for the OE made in Japan Yuasa, but I paid $170 for it, plus $25.50 for installation. I paid $160 the last time I bought one (2016 I think).
 
Yea that's the same numbers I got when I bought my last one mi Lord.
 
I went to my local dealer today to get a new Yuasa OEM battery , but I checked the manufactory date on the back and it was from May 2019.
I do not mind if it is a few months old but a year is too much.
Batteries might not suffer as much sitting on a shelf than being in a hot bike but it is worth checking when you buy a NEW battery . I just go back in a while , my old one is getting close to 4 years old and that is the time I put a new one in my bikes.
 
OEMs are AGM batteries. Nothing to add.
 
Huh. Last Yuasa I ordered for my CB came with the separate juice bottle, but that was from Revzilla or Bike Bandit, can't remember. Guess they come ready to use from the dealer so they can just be dropped in? If so, yeah, I wouldn't want a year-old one.
 
Back
Top