Yep. I did it. Ran out of gas today.

flynrider

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have been riding motorcycles regularly for over 33 years and this is the first time I've ever run out of gas. That's 33 yrs. using a petcock and 7 months with just a fuel gauge.

I ended up stranding myself at a busy intersection, which unlike the rest of Phoenix, was totally devoid of gas stations. I ended up pushing the bike two blocks to the nearest convenience store with a gas pump, only to find it closed for renovation. I ended up leaving the bike there, buying a gas can at a nearby store and hiking about 6 blocks.

Looking back on how this happened, it seems that there are several factors involved.

1. I last rode the CB1100 on Friday, when the gauge started blinking on the way home. I made a (not very good) mental note to refuel next trip.

2. My trip meter didn't show many miles (127) because on the previous fill up I had forgotten to reset it until I'd gone over 15 miles on the new tank.

3. I wasn't really thinking about gas because I'd been riding the CB750 for the past two days and had filled it up yesterday.

4. In bright daylight, with a dark shield and tinted inner visor, the LCD display is not very visible.

Lastly, I probably could have saved the day if I had realized that I was running out of gas. This is my first fuel injected bike and they do not run out of gas like carbed bikes do. For example, on the CB750, it starts to get a little weak on the throttle with a slight drop off in power as the fuel level drops in the float bowls and the mixture gets leaner. It's very subtle, but easily noticed. When the CB1100 ran out, it was bucking like a bronco. Surging like nobody's business. Imagine riding down the road and turning the ignition switch on and off while holding the throttle steady.

I got two quick hiccups as I stopped at a light (next to a gas station :@ ). I was concerned, but the bike idled normally. When the light turn green there was more surging on acceleration, but it stopped when I settled at a steady speed. I was convinced that I had some kind of mechanical problem. The bike went exactly one mile after the first hiccup and it was done. That's about the time I lifted my visor, looked at the display and realized that I'd forgotten to refuel.

For all of those that were wondering how much it takes to fill a dead empty tank, I can't help you. One of the pumps I used must have been reading incorrectly. I put .35 gallons into the can (and drained it into the tank). When I filled up a few blocks later (different gas station), that pump said it took 2.75. That only comes out to 3.1 gallons, so one of the pumps was obviously wrong.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a petcock for the CB11.
 
Let there be a lesson to all of us here used to old-school petcocks: be mindful of the fuel gauge and when the gauge blinks, its time to gas-up.
My 81 CBX 6 cylinder had a .8 gallon reserve, and that bike averaged only 30 mpg, meaning it was an emergency to find a gas station ASAP when you ran low.
 
Advice heeded. Ive run out of gas in the boonies before and its no fun. I have been carrying a 1 liter fuel bottle (MSR, backpacking type) under a bungee net on my seat at least until I get a better feel for what the gage is really telling me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I wonder if the tank delivers every drop of fuel or if there is some untapped amount in the tank when the engine dies. My GS-500 had nearly a third of a gallon left when it died and you could access some of that by standing off the seat and leaning the bike to the left.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I have been riding motorcycles regularly for over 33 years and this is the first time I've ever run out of gas. That's 33 yrs. using a petcock and 7 months with just a fuel gauge.

I ended up stranding myself at a busy intersection, which unlike the rest of Phoenix, was totally devoid of gas stations. I ended up pushing the bike two blocks to the nearest convenience store with a gas pump, only to find it closed for renovation. I ended up leaving the bike there, buying a gas can at a nearby store and hiking about 6 blocks.

Looking back on how this happened, it seems that there are several factors involved.

1. I last rode the CB1100 on Friday, when the gauge started blinking on the way home. I made a (not very good) mental note to refuel next trip.

2. My trip meter didn't show many miles (127) because on the previous fill up I had forgotten to reset it until I'd gone over 15 miles on the new tank.

3. I wasn't really thinking about gas because I'd been riding the CB750 for the past two days and had filled it up yesterday.

4. In bright daylight, with a dark shield and tinted inner visor, the LCD display is not very visible.

Lastly, I probably could have saved the day if I had realized that I was running out of gas. This is my first fuel injected bike and they do not run out of gas like carbed bikes do. For example, on the CB750, it starts to get a little weak on the throttle with a slight drop off in power as the fuel level drops in the float bowls and the mixture gets leaner. It's very subtle, but easily noticed. When the CB1100 ran out, it was bucking like a bronco. Surging like nobody's business. Imagine riding down the road and turning the ignition switch on and off while holding the throttle steady.

I got two quick hiccups as I stopped at a light (next to a gas station :@ ). I was concerned, but the bike idled normally. When the light turn green there was more surging on acceleration, but it stopped when I settled at a steady speed. I was convinced that I had some kind of mechanical problem. The bike went exactly one mile after the first hiccup and it was done. That's about the time I lifted my visor, looked at the display and realized that I'd forgotten to refuel.

For all of those that were wondering how much it takes to fill a dead empty tank, I can't help you. One of the pumps I used must have been reading incorrectly. I put .35 gallons into the can (and drained it into the tank). When I filled up a few blocks later (different gas station), that pump said it took 2.75. That only comes out to 3.1 gallons, so one of the pumps was obviously wrong.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a petcock for the CB11.
The good lesson in all this is how to recognize a fuel injected model
running out of gas.That is what happened to my M109 about
4 summers ago.But it never lasted long enough to matter.The bike
started surging and before I knew it wham bam thank you Ma'am
no more sex drive.From the very first sign of the bike acting strange
to it stopping was about a half mile at best.Of course I was on a
highway doin' about 60.And yes,the trip meter can be hard to read
in direct sunlight.Any model is.Except my Rune which has State of
the Art digital readout.No amount of sunlight is going to disrupt to
much the ability to read the fuel gauge or speed.Because the
Speedo is enclosed or has a covering that is recessed to block
out outside elements like sun and rain.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
I wonder if the tank delivers every drop of fuel or if there is some untapped amount in the tank when the engine dies. My GS-500 had nearly a third of a gallon left when it died and you could access some of that by standing off the seat and leaning the bike to the left.
I don't think so. After it died I tried leaning and rocking. It wouldn't start. I opened the tank and I couldn't hear any sloshing either.
 
I've ran out of gas with a petcock. Because I forgot to reset the darn thing after the last refill.
 
Yea 3.1 doesnt make any sense. many of us have put in more than that and still had gas left.

Was it hard to restart or did the fuel pump prime it up quickly?
 
Leaving Saranac Lake without filling up was a mistake. But the station I usually use closed up. Weird. Anyhoo, made it to Tupper Lake on fumes. This on a road with trees and not much else. Its a busy road, but would not have been a fun place to strand in the dark and cold. My gauge was blinking, don't know how much it took. Getting an MSR can for my next long trip. I just want a bigger tank.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yea 3.1 doesnt make any sense. many of us have put in more than that and still had gas left.

Was it hard to restart or did the fuel pump prime it up quickly?
After pouring the gas in, I turned on the key and heard the pump run just a few seconds longer than usual. Hit the button and it started right up. Pretty much a non-event.
Rboe_imp said:
I've ran out of gas with a petcock. Because I forgot to reset the darn thing after the last refill.
I've forgotten to reset it on the 750 plenty of times, but the trip meter (which is highly visible on the speedo) always tipped me off. Once it showed 10 or 15 miles past the usual point that I'd go to reserve, I'd figure it out.
 
Don't feel too bad, the gauge on this bike isn't great. Seems to go down to one blinking bar really quickly and then stays there for ages, so I just keep riding! I literally ran out of fuel in front of a fuel station the other day. Now I fill up at 220 kms (136 miles) usually still have a litre and a half or so left in the tank, depending on how hard the throttle gets twisted!
 
I think the visiblity of the trip meter and milege on these new LCD screens is a bit of a problem. I guess they are more reliable not being mechanical and all, but the old mechanical trip meters were very easy to read. No blinking; you just knew if you were trouble or not.

I guess we just need to learn the quirks of these new bikes and folks twenty years from now will think we're dottering old fools.
 
Ha...my kids think I'm a dottering old fool now ...every time I call one of them over to fix the daggone computer or TV system/cd player... they can't believe I still have a land line phone, and don't have a Smart phone,big screen TV or DVR.

The flashing " you are about out of gas" light is easy enough for me to see and figure out lol
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I think the visiblity of the trip meter and milege on these new LCD screens is a bit of a problem. I guess they are more reliable not being mechanical and all, but the old mechanical trip meters were very easy to read. No blinking; you just knew if you were trouble or not.

I guess we just need to learn the quirks of these new bikes and folks twenty years from now will think we're dottering old fools.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I went out today on the same route as yesterday (2nd attempt to get a haircut). It was sunny out and I was riding (like yesterday) with my dark tint shield and inner light tint shield down. When I looked at the LCD display, all I could see was a reflection of my bright yellow helmet. I had to move my head to the side to see the fuel gauge bars and trip meter. Not surprised that they didn't catch my attention yesterday.
 
When my reserve bar starts flashing i have just over a gallon left. That's 43 miles left for me to go but will fill up shortly after. I take that flashing pretty seriously seeing as that is supposed to be the reserve, which i thought was supposed to be set at .7... I think the most I've put in was 3.4 or .5 gallons
 
How many miles do you usually get to a tank? I regularly fill at 170 miles or so, and usually have half a gallon or so left meaning I can probably run it to close to 200.
 
damn I must ride mine too hard lol, I never get to 100 before mine starts flashing.....but then again, i've never put more than 2.5 gallons in mine - needless to say I'm extremely disappointed in the fuel gauge. I almost need to run out of gas once or twice to see how many miles I can actually get out of a tank before she quits.

the gauge on my VFR is absolutely spot on - but on this it's a joke. i'll drop down 2 bars with only 25 miles on the tank.....I was down 3 bars today and it put 1.4 gallons back in it?
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
How many miles do you usually get to a tank? I regularly fill at 170 miles or so, and usually have half a gallon or so left meaning I can probably run it to close to 200.
That's pretty good. I suspect you spend a lot of time on the highway, or have a very light hand on the throttle. You're getting much better mileage than I do.

I spend about 75% of my time in the city and am known for being somewhat of a lead wrist. At my typical 42 mpg, my last bar starts flashing at around 120 miles, with one gallon remaining.
 
Back
Top