yellowing pipe and headers

Sanoke yours are amazing clean with no spots I see. Most I see are spotted, and Cormanus's are almost black.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sanoke yours are amazing clean with no spots I see. Most I see are spotted, and Cormanus's are almost black.
There are plenty of spots. The camera just didn't pick them up at that resolution. I do try to keep them clean so the road grime doesn't get baked in.
 
sanoke_imp said:
After 37,000 miles, mine almost look like they are gold anodized. I like it!
a3e17b716522c5e791238751f5952240.jpg
I too love the golden color. Got caught in a rain storm the previous weekend, so I spent the better part of Saturday on wash, detail and polish. Getting all the road crud and rain spots polished out of the pipe and headers was the final step...

b84202c36b6aecfe81494f424d3e61bc.jpg

e97105b3451e727455a28d087284a74d.jpg
 
Does anyone know what the coating on the headers is? Mine have turned a dark brown and I was going to have them ceramic coated. The place that does the coating wont coat over chrome and it has to be removed first. The headers are not chrome plated but maybe the coating will have to be removed first.
 
there is no coating on the stds, they are stainless steel. The 14 dlxs have double walled chrome plating
 
I did polish up one header pipe some time ago and it looked good but within weeks the glow had gone.
Post #10 includes a picture.
My bike left the factory in 2011.

Regards
 
Well, I got my header back today. I can recommend the aluminum-ceramic coating but not the shop that did mine. :s Go with Jet Hot if you can.

There are runs in the coating on the front of three of the header pipes exiting the engine, and the main collector pipe is dented in from them not packaging it very well before shipping.

 
JPX_imp said:
Well, I got my header back today. I can recommend the aluminum-ceramic coating but not the shop that did mine. :s Go with Jet Hot if you can.

There are runs in the coating on the front of three of the header pipes exiting the engine, and the main collector pipe is dented in from them not packaging it very well before shipping.
They look good in the picture, will you just live with them how they are ...or lodge a complaint with the company who did them?
 
JPX' pid='104443' dateline='1441071524 said:
Well, I got my header back today. I can recommend the aluminum-ceramic coating but not the shop that did mine. :s Go with Jet Hot if you can.

There are runs in the coating on the front of three of the header pipes exiting the engine, and the main collector pipe is dented in from them not packaging it very well before shipping.


JPX, looks like new! Do you expect these to stay that way as a result of the coating? I'm not familiar with the process.
Keep us posted if you can once they are installed and you have some mileage on them ok?
Thanks
 
HikerToo_imp said:
JPX_imp said:
Well, I got my header back today. I can recommend the aluminum-ceramic coating but not the shop that did mine. :s Go with Jet Hot if you can.

There are runs in the coating on the front of three of the header pipes exiting the engine, and the main collector pipe is dented in from them not packaging it very well before shipping.
They look good in the picture, will you just live with them how they are ...or lodge a complaint with the company who did them?
They look good in the picture, will you just live with them how they are ...or lodge a complaint with the company who did them?
I e-mailed pictures of the damage to them and they refunded my money. I'm still out about $60 in total for shipping charges, the cost for a local shop to repair the dent, and probably an added charge from Jet Hot to strip the coating and re-do it.

Pictures of the damage:



jrns_imp said:
JPX' pid='104443' dateline='1441071524 said:
Well, I got my header back today. I can recommend the aluminum-ceramic coating but not the shop that did mine. :s Go with Jet Hot if you can.

There are runs in the coating on the front of three of the header pipes exiting the engine, and the main collector pipe is dented in from them not packaging it very well before shipping.


JPX, looks like new! Do you expect these to stay that way as a result of the coating? I'm not familiar with the process.
Keep us posted if you can once they are installed and you have some mileage on them ok?
Thanks
I'm pretty happy with the way the coating looks. Jet Hot and Cermakrome are basically just ceramic coatings with aluminum infused into it. The research I did beforehand indicated that ceramic coating will not discolor as easily as stainless or chrome.

I'm going to have my header repaired and re-coated by a different shop so it may be a while. :)
 
That is really poor quality control. Glad you got a refund at least.
 
Yeah, they're not very well run with all the QC issues I've had. Jet Hot quoted me $215 + shipping today and nothing extra to remove the previous coating. This Cermakrome shop charged $175 + shipping.
So i guess my plan now is to have the dent fixed this week and to bolt the header up to my bike shortly thereafter. Going to ride it until winter with the flawed coating and then send it in to get recoated when it's too cold to ride. It'll give me a chance to evaluate the ceramic coating that's on there now and not miss any more riding time.
I'll post some more pictures and update you guys on the coating performance over the next few weeks.
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
If you don't mind, before you put it on, take a picture with the stock exhaust for comparison on how it matches up....Thanks
I don't have the stock muffler anymore but it was turning brown just like the headers after only 800 miles as seen below.



The Cermakrome is more matte than polished stainless or chrome; which was surprising because the pictures on the website show a highly polished reflective finish. For all I know, the shop that I used may not have polished it enough to get to that level.

Jet-hot.com quoted me an "Extreme 1300 Polished Finish" so I'm wondering if that is more shiny and less matte than this one.

The slip-on in the picture is a Moriwaki (stainless) and brand new, so it will be interesting to see how each fairs over the new few months since they will be starting at the same point.

 
Back
Top