yamahas new xsr900

Hey, Huladog! Welcome back! :beerchug:
 
I'd have to agree with Mikeoxbig and others. Even way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, the Yamahas were Tinny and felt cheap compared to the Hondas. So did the Kawasakis and Suzukis. They all were generally lighter than the Hondas back then and faster (mostly two strokes), but the fit and finish of the Hondas just wasn't there. Honda has been sticking to a slightly different marketing strategy all along. Build quality is very high on their priority list. The others build good stuff and perform very well. They are just not a Honda. I mean can anyone that actually lived through the 1970's get excited over a genuine retro-look Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki like has happened with the CB1100?

As far as the new naked bike look, they all (including the Hondas) look like to me as if they came out of a Star Wars movie. It might be the new modern style. And, with all the advances in technology, form generally does follow function. So I'll give 'em that...and If I were 25 all over again, I might even own one. But I am not and I won't.
 
4myredhonda_imp said:
I'd have to agree with Mikeoxbig and others. Even way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, the Yamahas were Tinny and felt cheap compared to the Hondas. So did the Kawasakis and Suzukis. They all were generally lighter than the Hondas back then and faster (mostly two strokes), but the fit and finish of the Hondas just wasn't there. Honda has been sticking to a slightly different marketing strategy all along. Build quality is very high on their priority list. The others build good stuff and perform very well. They are just not a Honda. I mean can anyone that actually lived through the 1970's get excited over a genuine retro-look Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki like has happened with the CB1100?

As far as the new naked bike look, they all (including the Hondas) look like to me as if they came out of a Star Wars movie. It might be the new modern style. And, with all the advances in technology, form generally does follow function. So I'll give 'em that...and If I were 25 all over again, I might even own one. But I am not and I won't.
If Kawasaki reintroduced the Z1 900, I think it could be a sales success.

But then again, I'm not sure how much longer this "retro" thing is going to have legs. These bikes tend to attract older riders. How many more bikes will they be buying?

There still seems to be some demand for the DLX, but how many more buyers are there for this bike? Did Honda guess right by limiting production to just one year? I'm guessing yes.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
4myredhonda_imp said:
I'd have to agree with Mikeoxbig and others. Even way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, the Yamahas were Tinny and felt cheap compared to the Hondas. So did the Kawasakis and Suzukis. They all were generally lighter than the Hondas back then and faster (mostly two strokes), but the fit and finish of the Hondas just wasn't there. Honda has been sticking to a slightly different marketing strategy all along. Build quality is very high on their priority list. The others build good stuff and perform very well. They are just not a Honda. I mean can anyone that actually lived through the 1970's get excited over a genuine retro-look Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki like has happened with the CB1100?

As far as the new naked bike look, they all (including the Hondas) look like to me as if they came out of a Star Wars movie. It might be the new modern style. And, with all the advances in technology, form generally does follow function. So I'll give 'em that...and If I were 25 all over again, I might even own one. But I am not and I won't.
If Kawasaki reintroduced the Z1 900, I think it could be a sales success.

But then again, I'm not sure how much longer this "retro" thing is going to have legs. These bikes tend to attract older riders. How many more bikes will they be buying?

There still seems to be some demand for the DLX, but how many more buyers are there for this bike? Did Honda guess right by limiting production to just one year? I'm guessing yes.
If Kawasaki reintroduced the Z1 900, I think it could be a sales success.

But then again, I'm not sure how much longer this "retro" thing is going to have legs. These bikes tend to attract older riders. How many more bikes will they be buying?

There still seems to be some demand for the DLX, but how many more buyers are there for this bike? Did Honda guess right by limiting production to just one year? I'm guessing yes.
LongRanger,

You may have a point about the Z1. I got out of motorcycles about the time that it came out. Didn't get back in until 2005. The thing is the CB Hondas have a pretty long history. The Z1 only lasted a few years (1972 -1976).

What Honda has done with the CB1100 is a lot like what Harley has been doing forever, coming out with new bikes (with some modern advances) that replicate the old. I am not a Harley fan, but the marketing strategy has worked for them, mainly because that's what the Harley guys want...example: the Vrod is a technically superior bike, but doesn't sell like the antiquated air cooled twins. As I've read in several places...the Vrod is not enough Harley for the existing Harley crowd and too much Harley for the current day non-Harley guys.

I think Honda hit the nail on the head at the right time. You are probably right that the CB retro is somewhat of a fad that probably won't last because the Baby-boomers are not going to live forever.

Thanks for the good conversation.

Regards
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Hey, Huladog! Welcome back! :beerchug:
Glad to be back hanging around here again .... now if I sell my other bike I can get another CB to replace the one I shouldn't have sold in the first place!

Live and learn.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
4myredhonda_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
4myredhonda_imp said:
I'd have to agree with Mikeoxbig and others. Even way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, the Yamahas were Tinny and felt cheap compared to the Hondas. So did the Kawasakis and Suzukis. They all were generally lighter than the Hondas back then and faster (mostly two strokes), but the fit and finish of the Hondas just wasn't there. Honda has been sticking to a slightly different marketing strategy all along. Build quality is very high on their priority list. The others build good stuff and perform very well. They are just not a Honda. I mean can anyone that actually lived through the 1970's get excited over a genuine retro-look Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki like has happened with the CB1100?

As far as the new naked bike look, they all (including the Hondas) look like to me as if they came out of a Star Wars movie. It might be the new modern style. And, with all the advances in technology, form generally does follow function. So I'll give 'em that...and If I were 25 all over again, I might even own one. But I am not and I won't.
If Kawasaki reintroduced the Z1 900, I think it could be a sales success.

But then again, I'm not sure how much longer this "retro" thing is going to have legs. These bikes tend to attract older riders. How many more bikes will they be buying?

There still seems to be some demand for the DLX, but how many more buyers are there for this bike? Did Honda guess right by limiting production to just one year? I'm guessing yes.
If Kawasaki reintroduced the Z1 900, I think it could be a sales success.

But then again, I'm not sure how much longer this "retro" thing is going to have legs. These bikes tend to attract older riders. How many more bikes will they be buying?

There still seems to be some demand for the DLX, but how many more buyers are there for this bike? Did Honda guess right by limiting production to just one year? I'm guessing yes.
LongRanger,

You may have a point about the Z1. I got out of motorcycles about the time that it came out. Didn't get back in until 2005. The thing is the CB Hondas have a pretty long history. The Z1 only lasted a few years (1972 -1976).

What Honda has done with the CB1100 is a lot like what Harley has been doing forever, coming out with new bikes (with some modern advances) that replicate the old. I am not a Harley fan, but the marketing strategy has worked for them, mainly because that's what the Harley guys want...example: the Vrod is a technically superior bike, but doesn't sell like the antiquated air cooled twins. As I've read in several places...the Vrod is not enough Harley for the existing Harley crowd and too much Harley for the current day non-Harley guys.

I think Honda hit the nail on the head at the right time. You are probably right that the CB retro is somewhat of a fad that probably won't last because the Baby-boomers are not going to live forever.

Thanks for the good conversation.

Regards
I just think it's generational. I grew up as a kid in the 1960's reading Hot Rod magazine. Back then, the big thing was '40's hot rods. In the 1970's, people swooned over hopped-up cars from the 1950's. Today, the muscle cars of the 1970's are commanding ridiculous prices. Want a good deal on a 1947 Ford Woody? Now's probably the time. The market has moved on.

Baby-boomers today are digging the bikes of the 1970's. In ten years, Gen-X riders will probably long for the Magnas, Katanas, Maduras and Viragos of the 1980's. In twenty, the Millennials will hopefully want my 1998 K1200RS. The CB1100 will be a relic.
 
Huladog_imp said:
Been reading threads all over the interweb now that I decided to sell my CTX1300 and really seriously ready to ask the dealer to go ahead and order me a leftover 2014 CB1100 Standard.

Prices for the Yamaha FZ-07 and 09 (and the variants) are hard to ignore and my very first three bikes were Yamaha's in the 1970's, but I have to agree the Honda refinement and detailed engineering make the premium prices acceptable.

I've checked out the Suzuki GSX-S750 and GSX-S1000 but I just can't bring myself to get one of those either because "they just don't look like a proper motorcycle".

Those "modern" designs just don't look "finished" in my geezer mind.

Would love to get a leftover VFR800F but I don't think my old back will let me, so I better get another CB1100 (had the 2013 model).

You guys keep getting me in trouble.

Aloha,
Huladog
Hey, welcome back!

I don't want to hijack this thread and start talking about the CTX1300 when this is about the Yamaha, but I am curious what has made you decide to sell it. I test rode one a while back and found the suspension to be a bit harsh. I also wondered why Honda detuned it to just 85 hp. A bike of that heft would have been a bit livelier with similar hp and torque as that engine makes in the ST1300.

I hope you are able to get your hands on another CB.
 
That CTX V-4 is smooth and torquey, but they tuned out the upper end rush of the ST motor for the torque. It does work and move the heavy bike well. That well designed and proven motor is bullet proof and I was surprised when I read the owners manual looking for the oil change interval and after the first 600 mile change you're good for 8,000 miles till the next change! I think Honda stuck an auto motor in the bike.

Suspension is harsh especially the forks although they do loosen up a bit. Rear shocks not too bad. Even though it's a big bike it does handle well and I've never scraped the pegs.

I'm just getting too weary and wiser so I want to down-size before I'm forced to do it. Thus, the Yamaha FZ-07 and -09 and variants are on my radar, but I keep drifting back to wanting another CB even though it weighs quite a bit more than the Yamaha's.

PM me if you want more details on the CTX.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Huladog_imp said:
Been reading threads all over the interweb now that I decided to sell my CTX1300 and really seriously ready to ask the dealer to go ahead and order me a leftover 2014 CB1100 Standard.

Prices for the Yamaha FZ-07 and 09 (and the variants) are hard to ignore and my very first three bikes were Yamaha's in the 1970's, but I have to agree the Honda refinement and detailed engineering make the premium prices acceptable.

I've checked out the Suzuki GSX-S750 and GSX-S1000 but I just can't bring myself to get one of those either because "they just don't look like a proper motorcycle".

Those "modern" designs just don't look "finished" in my geezer mind.

Would love to get a leftover VFR800F but I don't think my old back will let me, so I better get another CB1100 (had the 2013 model).

You guys keep getting me in trouble.

Aloha,
Huladog
Hey, welcome back!

I don't want to hijack this thread and start talking about the CTX1300 when this is about the Yamaha, but I am curious what has made you decide to sell it. I test rode one a while back and found the suspension to be a bit harsh. I also wondered why Honda detuned it to just 85 hp. A bike of that heft would have been a bit livelier with similar hp and torque as that engine makes in the ST1300.

I hope you are able to get your hands on another CB.
Especially seeing that the wet weight of the ST1300 and CTX are within a couple of pounds, no difference really. I see no logical reason whatever for Honda changing the tune of that motor.
 
Hula..I have ridden both the FZ07 and FZ 09. I thought the 07 had more compliant suspension and better seat, but it vibrated like crazy thru the tank, seat, grips, pegs. I was really dissapointed. The suspension and seat on the triple we worse, but the engine was smoother and of course way more powerful.
 
I dig those XSR bikes from Yamaha!

But I was wondering if somebody has a XSR700 full option on display? :cool:

I made this from the configurator on their website, what a sexy looking naked bike!

 
I just got a new XSR 60th Anniversary edition. I put over 1400 miles on it in 4 days. It's a great bike. Suspension is upgraded over standard, plus has abs and a slipper clutch. Handles awesome with razor sharp precision, runs super strong. I got a great price, especially when most dealers are sticking to msrp.
The comparison to the CB are apples to oranges, the bikes are completely different in function.
The CB moderate, the XRS high performance. Build quality of both, superb. Surprisingly, according to the on-boards, the XSR is getting a few better mpg. I've been riding them both the same, my riding style pretty much wrings them out ;)
The CB is a keeper for me regardless, I enjoy it for different reasons than the XRS. I consider the XRS to be a little retro, much more techno. If you come to the 2016 Rally at Bland next week, you'll be able to see them both ;)
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I just got a new XSR 60th Anniversary edition. I put over 1400 miles on it in 4 days. It's a great bike. Suspension is upgraded over standard, plus has abs and a slipper clutch. Handles awesome with razor sharp precision, runs super strong. I got a great price, especially when most dealers are sticking to msrp.
The comparison to the CB are apples to oranges, the bikes are completely different in function.
The CB moderate, the XRS high performance. Build quality of both, superb. Surprisingly, according to the on-boards, the XSR is getting a few better mpg. I've been riding them both the same, my riding style pretty much wrings them out ;)
The CB is a keeper for me regardless, I enjoy it for different reasons than the XRS. I consider the XRS to be a little retro, much more techno. If you come to the 2016 Rally at Bland next week, you'll be able to see them both ;)
Wait.. What.. You're bringing the xsr to the rally... Oh boy... My wallet hates you already :D.. I've been deliberately staying away from em... Not seeing on in person, and the fact the mt10 or more likely the fz10 is coming stateside has me waiting..
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I have to stare at the XSR every day at work and I am starting to grow weak.
Oh! For heaven's sake! Don't start that again! Make a decision! :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
I have to stare at the XSR every day at work and I am starting to grow weak.
Oh! For heaven's sake! Don't start that again! Make a decision! :D
Oh! For heaven's sake! Don't start that again! Make a decision! :D
There is a song by the band Rush where one of the lyrics says:

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

This seems to be my mantra.
 
shoot UN, you are a pillar of strength compared to my buddy Jnor. We nickednamed him" fickle pickle". He goes thru bikes like most men go thru underwear.
 
Back
Top