yamahas new xsr900

Very nice. There are a bunch of interesting bikes hitting the press right now: New Bonnevilles and Thruxton, Guzzi V9, this Yamaha, VFR1200X, what else am I missing?
 
This from the linked site "The XSR900 blends Yamaha engineering with neo‑retro style".....There's nothing "retro" about this bike except maybe the round headlight. And looking at the pics of the bike I'm confused at the insertion of the "neo" and just how Yamaha is trying to apply it here. If they mean neo as in "young or new-retro or a combination of young/old" even that wouldn't apply here. There aren't enough retro design elements in this bike to justify its use as a descriptive advertisement term for the model. Motard would be a much closer description for this model then "Retro". Of course, this is all about esthetics and as such is very subjective. I just can't stretch the meaning of retro enough to include this model. YMMV and probably does.
 
Frulk, don't try to figure out marketing jargon. The first thing that came to mind when I saw "neo-retro" was "oxymoron" :P

I suppose the complete lack of body plastic and the tank that doesn't look like a camel's hump or something from a Transformers movie qualifies as retro these days.

Personally, I like the look of the bike (particularly the yellow anniversary tank). The big triple should give it adequate performance (one thing I didn't like about the XSR700). If the CB1100 didn't exist, I'd consider it.
 
That would make an interesting topic of conversation I would think...

If the CB 1100 didn't exit.. What other bike would you be interested in?

Maybe I will start a thread like that one of these days
 
The ferret_imp said:
That would make an interesting topic of conversation I would think...

If the CB 1100 didn't exit.. What other bike would you be interested in?

Maybe I will start a thread like that one of these days
OK...that's a fair question...my first choice I already own and if I didn't have the CB1100 I'd stick with a Moto Guzzi V7 in one of its model ranges...1) Scrambler 2) V7R 3) Stone

fb61624e018af077eb7137e442249b9d.jpg


Second choice would be my buddies pristine one owner XR1200 shown in this pic with 6K miles. Been after him for 1.5 years to sell it to me...He's almost there..:clap:

f4ec52f968b71e13101299517cb22662.jpg


3rd choice: One of the older big block Guzzi Sports in green color schemes they no longer make

4th choice: Either the current 2016 Triumph Thruxton Café or last years Ace Café Thruxton..but a preference for the white Ace model first
 
Looks like an interesting bike. I love round headlights and apparently it is only 430 lbs. No word yet on torque and HP. Once you get past the headlight, I don't love the look of the bike much though.

If no CB1100 existed...it'd be tough. There are a ton of options out there.
-Honda cb500x with bags for a cheap all-arounder and solo motocamping?
-Triumph Thruxton or Moto Guzzi for the standard/cafe look I love?
-Triumph Street Triple for pure hooliganism/smiles
-maybe even a ducati hypermotard or scrambler...
 
Thread starter
It shares an engine with the fz-09 which yamaha quotes power at 115 hp and 64.5 ft-lbs of torque:worship: I don't really think it can be said it's trying to be a ducati scramler. A Street triple with retro body work maybe. But this bike will be a ripper for sure.
 
Brookland27_imp said:
You guys see this. Looks pretty cool to me. I actually almost got the fz09 when i bought my cb1100 but couldnt get over the look. This looks to be very sporting and i love the modern yet classic look.
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/xsr900
I like the look except from a design/aesthetics perspective when looking side on (and I'm no motorcycle expert mind you)..but I find the rear wheel and seat distance give it a somewhat disproportionate look?
personally -aside from the round headlight...not really sure I would own one.
interesting bike though...maybe it will grow on me?
JMO mind you... :)
 
I left a V7 Classic for my CB1100. I'd go back in a heartbeat if the Guzzi dealership situation wasn't so dysfunctional. Absent that, I too like the new Thruxton.
 
New bikes like this Yamaha leave me cold. Then again, they are not designed for me in mind so no skin off Yamaha's back. Classic standards (CB1100, V7, V9, W800/W650 etc.) spin my prop. I have a soft spot for some adventure bikes and the Ducati Scrambler is appealing in a classical looking bike sort of way.

They look like real bikes, not something that popped off the pages of Marvel or DC or snuck out the back door at Mattel or Hasbro.

Even the new Indian is making some older classics that are appealing if not exactly affordable.

Issues with Moto Guzzi (Piaggio) make me reconsider the brand from time to time. Tough call. If I dump the Griso (many reasons, it's been a difficult relationship with ups and downs) the V7 is still attractive to me.
 
I do like that bike, don't get me wrong. But here is something a lot of people can't see in the pics. I've owned a modern Yamaha that is somewhat similar to that bike, and I must say the build quality and fit n finish between my Honda CB and my Yamaha is night and day. My Yamaha never let me down, it was reliable and a great bike, and I would still recommend to others, but the first time I sat on the CB1100 and rode off, I could tell immediately the difference in the fit and finish. Some things cannot be explained on paper or spec sheet.
 
Thread starter
yeah i agree mike I think the quality of the cb1100 has set a standard to us that not many other motorcycles are going to be able to acheive. Thrilled i have mine. That said I'd happily park that yamaha next to my cb certainly not in it's place.
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I do like that bike, don't get me wrong. But here is something a lot of people can't see in the pics. I've owned a modern Yamaha that is somewhat similar to that bike, and I must say the build quality and fit n finish between my Honda CB and my Yamaha is night and day. My Yamaha never let me down, it was reliable and a great bike, and I would still recommend to others, but the first time I sat on the CB1100 and rode off, I could tell immediately the difference in the fit and finish. Some things cannot be explained on paper or spec sheet.


Yes, this exactly. I own an FZ-09, and it's a hoot and a holler to ride, that motor is simply fantastic! but, if raw accelleration and weight is removed from the equation, the CB is a better bike in every way. If I didn't already own the FZ, I'd be seriously contemplating this new bike, I like it a lot, but when you factor in all the money I've sunk into the FZ to make it a rideable bike, it's a no brainer on keeping the FZ vs selling and buying the XSR.
 
Just out of curiosity.. What all have you done to the FZ to make it rideable.
 
replaced the suspension, front and rear ~ 2k, changed the seat, ~ 450, reflashed ECU, ~200. the stock suspension was junk, the stock ECU flash was terrible at fueling, (super jerky, which combined with that motor and the super weak suspension made it truly terrifying to ride) I have on her now PR4's and they are the most amazing tires as long as you are on pavement... I really wish I could put pr4's on the cb. I had PR3s on the FZ and they were good, but nothing compared to how great the PR4s are.

now supposedly the suspension is better, and the ecu is better in stock form then the early '14's but I wouldn't hold my breath.
 
Wow. Yea, I have ridden the 14, the 15 ( which was much better btw, the 14 was unrideable imo) and the 15 FJ09. I'm not in love with the bike as much as most of the rest of the world seems to be, even though I'd like to be, but honestly I am a liter I-4 guy
 
Been reading threads all over the interweb now that I decided to sell my CTX1300 and really seriously ready to ask the dealer to go ahead and order me a leftover 2014 CB1100 Standard.

Prices for the Yamaha FZ-07 and 09 (and the variants) are hard to ignore and my very first three bikes were Yamaha's in the 1970's, but I have to agree the Honda refinement and detailed engineering make the premium prices acceptable.

I've checked out the Suzuki GSX-S750 and GSX-S1000 but I just can't bring myself to get one of those either because "they just don't look like a proper motorcycle".

Those "modern" designs just don't look "finished" in my geezer mind.

Would love to get a leftover VFR800F but I don't think my old back will let me, so I better get another CB1100 (had the 2013 model).

You guys keep getting me in trouble.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Back
Top