Yamaha's awesome new Retro!

I like the idea of kick start only and a rear drum brake is fine on a retro of this performance level. The price, considering the lack of electric start and rear disc, is way out of line. For $1500 less it would be fine. This will be a short lived offering in the US I think. Pick up the many unsold ones at bargain prices in a few years.
 
^^^ This.

Would be a great second bike for visitors or runabout town bike.
Tortuga_imp said:
I was discussing this bike with a local Yamaha dealer and commented that still £5299 it represented terrible value compared to yamaha's own MT-07, let alone the many other great bikes out there.

I summed it up as "you just don't get a lot of motorcycle for your money, not at all".

Expecting him to disagree and defend it on some 'heritage waffle' I was surprised when he agreed, and said that was exactly what they'd told their Yamaha rep..

"It needs to be about a grand cheaper before it'll sell in any numbers"

And it does.

I would consider one if they were £4000 new, as it is I'll pass, and see if anyone gets bored of theirs in a few years and wants £3000 for it with minimal mileage.

How much is it in the Land of the Free?
$5,990. About the same as your 4k GBP.
 
cbdtran_imp said:
single engine == a lot of vibration
They cheated and put a balance shaft in it. It's probably as smooth as a baby's butt.

The hipsters buying these will never know what they're missing. Nor will their girlfriends...
 
This is the bike I was looking at before I bought my cb. I didn't get to see one, and came thisclose to buying one anyway. Then I discovered the cb 1100 while looking for other retro bikes on all the manufacturer websites. I wasn't sure which to get, as they seemed so different (400 vs 1100), but after owning the cb for a few hundred miles now, I know for sure I made the right choice. I do still want to ride one, though!
 
That is like comparing apples to spinach. Not even a close comparison. The Royal Enfield to the Yamaha would be a fair comparison.
My visitors bike is the 2013 CB1100!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
That is like comparing apples to spinach. Not even a close comparison. The Royal Enfield to the Yamaha would be a fair comparison.
My visitors bike is the 2013 CB1100!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great analogy. Makes me want to juice some!

Now if your visitors bike is the 2013, that's just being a little fancy! :D

When can I visit?
DAC_imp said:
^^^ This.

Would be a great second bike for visitors or runabout town bike.
Tortuga_imp said:
I was discussing this bike with a local Yamaha dealer and commented that still £5299 it represented terrible value compared to yamaha's own MT-07, let alone the many other great bikes out there.

I summed it up as "you just don't get a lot of motorcycle for your money, not at all".

Expecting him to disagree and defend it on some 'heritage waffle' I was surprised when he agreed, and said that was exactly what they'd told their Yamaha rep..

"It needs to be about a grand cheaper before it'll sell in any numbers"

And it does.

I would consider one if they were £4000 new, as it is I'll pass, and see if anyone gets bored of theirs in a few years and wants £3000 for it with minimal mileage.

How much is it in the Land of the Free?
$5,990. About the same as your 4k GBP.
$5,990. About the same as your 4k GBP.
At that money, it's the right money, after haggling a discount or several hundred spondoonies.
 
FWIW: my son is considering what will be his first "real" bike. He's learning on a beat up Ninja 250. I told him to compare the Yammie to the new Ninja and decide which general style he prefers. He likes the classic better, which surprised the heck out of me. I figured being of his generation he'd gi fur the flashy futuristic bikes.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
FWIW: my son is considering what will be his first "real" bike. He's learning on a beat up Ninja 250. I told him to compare the Yammie to the new Ninja and decide which general style he prefers. He likes the classic better, which surprised the heck out of me. I figured being of his generation he'd gi fur the flashy futuristic bikes.

Like father. Like son.

I be the wears flares and kaftans like you too Spacey? :D
Elipten_imp said:
Pm if serious



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Staggeringly kind of you! I'll let you know if I have plans to travel stateside any time. You're a gent! (Or an axe murderer lol) :D
 
Guth_imp said:
I too think that it's cool that Yamaha decided to bring the SR400 to the States.

As far as vibration goes, I think it's all relative. I didn't think all that much about the vibration I experienced with my Hawk GT until I purchased my CB1100. I notice quite a few more differences between the two bikes the longer I own and ride the CB. I enjoy them both for different reasons. Each has it's own character and vibration is part of that mix. Some prefer more some prefer less, but not everybody is looking for the same thing.

I have no idea how many SR400s Yamaha is thinking they might sell, but I hope that their expectations are met. As far as I'm concerned, the more traditionally styled standards out on the road, the better. If the SR400 sticks, it probably won't be too long before Kawasaki reverses course and brings the W800 our way.
It's funny, both the SR400 and the Kwaka 600/800 have sold really well here in OZ. The CB not so. The SR is popular among the "hipsters" and the Kwaka among the retro lovers. Beats me.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
I too think that it's cool that Yamaha decided to bring the SR400 to the States.

As far as vibration goes, I think it's all relative. I didn't think all that much about the vibration I experienced with my Hawk GT until I purchased my CB1100. I notice quite a few more differences between the two bikes the longer I own and ride the CB. I enjoy them both for different reasons. Each has it's own character and vibration is part of that mix. Some prefer more some prefer less, but not everybody is looking for the same thing.

I have no idea how many SR400s Yamaha is thinking they might sell, but I hope that their expectations are met. As far as I'm concerned, the more traditionally styled standards out on the road, the better. If the SR400 sticks, it probably won't be too long before Kawasaki reverses course and brings the W800 our way.
It's funny, both the SR400 and the Kwaka 600/800 have sold really well here in OZ. The CB not so. The SR is popular among the "hipsters" and the Kwaka among the retro lovers. Beats me.

Cheers
It's funny, both the SR400 and the Kwaka 600/800 have sold really well here in OZ. The CB not so. The SR is popular among the "hipsters" and the Kwaka among the retro lovers. Beats me.

Cheers
I googled 'hipsters' and I got a load of pictures of women's trousers. :rolleyes:
9aa4ab52c85c80a272551eb98ce5f309.

a3b3a61abba4cb8d435445a84eaa755a.


This explains it.
Or this..
 
Back
Top