Yamaha's awesome new Retro!

I too think that it's cool that Yamaha decided to bring the SR400 to the States.

As far as vibration goes, I think it's all relative. I didn't think all that much about the vibration I experienced with my Hawk GT until I purchased my CB1100. I notice quite a few more differences between the two bikes the longer I own and ride the CB. I enjoy them both for different reasons. Each has it's own character and vibration is part of that mix. Some prefer more some prefer less, but not everybody is looking for the same thing.

I have no idea how many SR400s Yamaha is thinking they might sell, but I hope that their expectations are met. As far as I'm concerned, the more traditionally styled standards out on the road, the better. If the SR400 sticks, it probably won't be too long before Kawasaki reverses course and brings the W800 our way.
 
The SR is akin to today's Royal Enfield, as rather than a retro inspired new model, it is an actual old model still in production. RE have made myriad running changes, but the Bullet is basically a 1950's bike, as the SR is a '70's bike still being built today.
 
The current "Retro" interest reminds me of IBM. There were many microcomputers around in the 80's, but it wasn't until IBM's PC came out that the market was "legitimized" and really took off.

I wonder if Honda has the same influence in the motorcycle industry. There's been other retro Japanese/European bikes for some time, but I wonder if we're on the cusp of a significant trend.
 
I think it looks great, but, dont think I could manage without an electric starter. Price in the UK is stated £5299. Think thats about 8800 dollars.
 
Thread starter
I am really thinking about getting one of these. I had so many thumpers when I first started riding and put hell of a lot of miles on them. I rode an XL 600 from Alaska to San Francisco, kick start, pouring rain until I cleared Portland, OR. I don't think I'd do that again but the light weight and easy handling and just the plain character of the bike seem spot on. If it's as close as the CB1100 as far as being retro but with great brakes and a nice, tight engine and chassis I think I have got to have one. Problem is where to put it.

I am going to for sure wait until they have been out a few months and then make sure to test ride one. That custom enduro is just exactly up my alley, though.
 
I was discussing this bike with a local Yamaha dealer and commented that still £5299 it represented terrible value compared to yamaha's own MT-07, let alone the many other great bikes out there.

I summed it up as "you just don't get a lot of motorcycle for your money, not at all".

Expecting him to disagree and defend it on some 'heritage waffle' I was surprised when he agreed, and said that was exactly what they'd told their Yamaha rep..

"It needs to be about a grand cheaper before it'll sell in any numbers"

And it does.

I would consider one if they were £4000 new, as it is I'll pass, and see if anyone gets bored of theirs in a few years and wants £3000 for it with minimal mileage.

How much is it in the Land of the Free?
 
No electric start and that rear drum brake pretty much ended any interest I had in that bike.
 
Back
Top