Yamaha RD400 Restoration

I love these RD400's. I guy I knew had a orange RD350, I tried for years to buy it from him. He wouldn't sell, and haven't heard from him in awhile now. These and any Kawasaki 2-stroke street bikes I.d like to get my hands on. Good restore job, you did it right. Sure brings back memories. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Tomas, I appreciate it.

I rode the bike for the first time a few days ago. It really flies in the lower gears to the extent that I really have to try and behave myself around town for license preservation purposes! It's so fun to hear the growl and ring-dinging of the motor as you go through the gears. The suspension is pretty cushy and supple, but also shows just how far suspension has come in the last 4 decades since this bike was built. But with the short wheelbase and well designed frame the turn-in is very sharp and the handling is fun despite the shortcomings of the forks and shocks. You do have to adjust your expectations and mindset to get full enjoyment from these vintages machines, but if you're willing to do so they are great fun, at least I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. :thumbsup:
 
Where do you find these gems YamahaHoarderToo?
 
Memories. My first cycle was a 1972 R5C; which became the RD350 the next year. And so on...the one I had was pretty beat up when I bought it, 1985...it had gone through the hands of a Polish immigrant, and then his kid; and his kid had left home and bought a car. To both of them, a motorcycle was something you owned when you couldn't afford a car. Which of course is how it was in the Old Country.

Anyway...I bought that one for $150 in 1985 money. It ran; but not overly well...prone to overheating and the throttle slides would stick open on occasion. There were neither double-cabled throttles required back then - or kill switches. So I had a few wild moments.

I found out what a new Y cable would cost, the throttle cable that would branch out to the two carbs and sliders...and said, helwifit and bought a "new" bike. A 1981 SR 500; still new and unsold in 1986.

Both of those machines were UJB chassis; but more unlike machines from the same manufacturer, ever were. The thumper versus the high-revving smoker.

Nice work. Just watch those sticking sliders!
 
Deb and I grew up riding bikes, but never went down the two stroke road back in the day always road 4 strokes. When we started collecting we picked up a 1969 125 twin YAS1C and fell in love with two strokes, then picked up a 1972 DS7 (one year only bike pre-RD), and now the RD400. Very pleased with our two stroke finds, and having so much fun with them.



[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bike%20Collection/Theds7library_zps630d3811.jpg.html]

[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bike%20Collection/11060293_784397991635913_7489059862657163243_n_zpsyyitnb9s.jpg.html]
 
Good job hondahoarder, I must confess I have owned at least 5 of the bikes in your list
Passport RD400, KZ400 , DS7 and a YAS1
 
Thread starter
Love that video of the YAS1C, especially when your wife stops at the end and says, 'Holy Crap, it's a blast!' Cool stuff, cool little bike.

I have a '66 YL1 Twinjet I bought from the original owner a couple of years ago; it's sitting in the garage just waiting to be restored. The small Yamaha twins are just little jewels of machines.
 
She hates that video, got it running and at the time had a broken foot so couldn't test ride it, she was on the way to work and had her RED rubber garden shoes (the part she really hates) from feeding the outdoor cats out back in our muddy yard, and hadn't put her work shoes on yet. I made her get one it and ride it so I could hear her wind it out. I love the video!
 
Thread starter
hondahoarder_imp said:
Very Cool. Scooby a great source of parts is HVC Cycle for old Yammy two stroke stuff fyi
Yep, have used HVC quite a bit -- I think I may have paid for one semester of college for HVC owner's kid when I was restoring mine! Well, maybe not that much, but I did spend about $1400 to get mine back on the road. New tires, tubes, rim strips, cables, carb kits, grips, wheel bearings, oil pump rebuild kit etc. It adds up quickly. Part of that total includes a NOS front fender from ebay, though, I think that was about $270 or so. Buying the bike for $375 made it a little more tolerable though.
 
Back
Top