the Ferret
Road warrior
Will be a great Saturday morning/ afternoon joy ride. Save Sundays for the CB 

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Like this one, Bee? This was in the same shed I found the RD400. I let my friend have it, but kind of wish I would've kept it too. Oh well, he still has it.Mike Bee_imp said:I bought a new Yamaha RD 350 in 1973. It was my first motorcycle - the one I learned to ride on. It had a beautiful red & white paint job and ran on laced wheels. This was the first year for the "RD" reed valves and the disc brake. I paid just over $700 for it. As I recall these were very popular, but Honda's CB350 outsold them. But the Honda didn't stand a chance when racing an RD350.
~ The Bee

Scoobynut_imp said:Like this one, Bee? This was in the same shed I found the RD400. I let my friend have it, but kind of wish I would've kept it too. Oh well, he still has it.Mike Bee_imp said:I bought a new Yamaha RD 350 in 1973. It was my first motorcycle - the one I learned to ride on. It had a beautiful red & white paint job and ran on laced wheels. This was the first year for the "RD" reed valves and the disc brake. I paid just over $700 for it. As I recall these were very popular, but Honda's CB350 outsold them. But the Honda didn't stand a chance when racing an RD350.
~ The Bee
I also owned an RD400 in the 1980's - a silver one that a previous owner had installed some expansion chambers. It was a fast little bike.Mike Bee_imp said:Scoobynut_imp said:Like this one, Bee? This was in the same shed I found the RD400. I let my friend have it, but kind of wish I would've kept it too. Oh well, he still has it.Mike Bee_imp said:I bought a new Yamaha RD 350 in 1973. It was my first motorcycle - the one I learned to ride on. It had a beautiful red & white paint job and ran on laced wheels. This was the first year for the "RD" reed valves and the disc brake. I paid just over $700 for it. As I recall these were very popular, but Honda's CB350 outsold them. But the Honda didn't stand a chance when racing an RD350.
~ The Bee
Like this one, Bee? This was in the same shed I found the RD400. I let my friend have it, but kind of wish I would've kept it too. Oh well, he still has it.
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/P1020204_zps17e7a3cd.jpg.html]![]()
Yes, that's the one! I wonder if that chrome chain guard would fit my CB1100...I also owned an RD400 in the 1980's - a silver one that a previous owner had installed some expansion chambers. It was a fast little bike.
~ The Bee
I also owned an RD400 in the 1980's - a silver one that a previous owner had installed some expansion chambers. It was a fast little bike.I'm hoping this one will be too. It'll only be a fair-weather rider really, I don't plan on piling too many miles on it.Scoobynut_imp said:I'm hoping this one will be too. It'll only be a fair-weather rider really, I don't plan on piling too many miles on it.redbirds_imp said:What a great find. Those Yamaha RD's were awesome bikes. My brother had one and he rode it everywhere. Reliable too.

Scoobynut_imp said:Davidsargee, I don't have any RD memories so I guess I'll be making 'em from scratch. We've already started the bike and all seems to be well, my friend who's helping with the resto and has a lot of 2-stroke experience says it sounds very healthy.
We had a little bit of trouble with one of the gaskets in the oil pump after rebuilding it, but we think we've got that sorted and will start it again this weekend to check.
Anyways, the bike is pretty much all back together in this photo, except for the oil pump cover. Oh, and we haven't installed the NOS front fender yet. Now, if we can just get that damned snow to melt!
I was too young to remember the RD's in thier day but I was at a vintage mc show in Blue Bell, PA last summer where the focus was on 2 strokes. I was pleased to find numerous restored / rejuvenated RD400's like your example as well as many RD350's.


