Yamaha RD400 Restoration

Scoobynut_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Here are some photos of an RD400 I bought a couple years ago from an estate. It was in a garden shed, as near as I could tell with the license tags and registration papers, since 1980.

As found in the summer of 2011:



After a quick clean up a few days later:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/P1020233.jpg.html]

It's possible all these miles were put on from 1977 to 1980:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/P1020229_zpsfbdff03b.jpg.html]

Is this why it sat dormant for so long? Carbs came with bike, but were in an ice cream bucket. Amazingly, all the parts were present and accounted for:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/P1020243_zpsc2d87a86.jpg.html]

Myself and a friend finally started working on it this Spring. We rebuilt and installed the carbs, flushed the oil injection lines and it fired up after a few kicks. Mechanic friend who has lots of experience with the old 2-strokes says the motor sounds extremely healthy. Now we're going through bearings, cables and all the other stuff a bike would need after sitting for over 30 years. We will also replace a few parts like the cracked turn-signal lens. He's doing most of the mechanical work, while I'm cleaning everything.


Wheels off for cleaning and new tires:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo_zpsd9d1c6b5.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo2_zpsd217fa00.jpg.html]

This wheel should look good once I remove all the crud:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/PWheel_zpse545c98f.jpg.html]

I restored the original finish on the tank, and also used Rusteco to return the insides to like new. Other than a few little scuffs in the paint, it's nearly perfect. It turned out very nicely.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo3_zps4ba39bcd.jpg.html]

Will keep this thread updated as we make progress, probably in our usual fits-and-starts.
Oh, forgot to mention, I paid $350 for the RD. They also threw in a nice '73 RD350 for another $350, which my friend bought from them. A pretty nice little score for us I'd say.
 
Nice job so far. Outstanding little motorcycles. I had a 73 RD 350. Very quick, great brakes, decent handling. An RD will make the CB seem large lol
 
IMHO best two stroke ever to own the streets...torque induction..and one of the best sounding 2 strokes..it had that Vrooom sound..
 
Wow, this will certainly be interesting to follow. I'm really amazed how well the tank turned out, nice work on it. I assume the tires were shot (flat spots?) Keep us posted, and good luck with it!
 
Thread starter
wildezt_imp said:
IMHO best two stroke ever to own the streets...torque induction..and one of the best sounding 2 strokes..it had that Vrooom sound..
I've heard a few soundclips on youtube and you're right, they sound very racy and cool!
The ferret_imp said:
Nice job so far. Outstanding little motorcycles. I had a 73 RD 350. Very quick, great brakes, decent handling. An RD will make the CB seem large lol
It does have a nice looong, flat seat though!
Jim21680_imp said:
Wow, this will certainly be interesting to follow. I'm really amazed how well the tank turned out, nice work on it. I assume the tires were shot (flat spots?) Keep us posted, and good luck with it!
Yep, tires were hard as a rock. No reason to take chances where the rubber hits the road, right?
 
Scoobynut,

Yes that was a score indeed. I wanted an RD400 so bad when I was in college but never could swing it. I've always admired those two strokes but I've never ridden one. It looks like it will be an amazing survivor when you're finished. Really nice.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Scoobynut,

Yes that was a score indeed. I wanted an RD400 so bad when I was in college but never could swing it. I've always admired those two strokes but I've never ridden one. It looks like it will be an amazing survivor when you're finished. Really nice.

Chip
Chip, my story is pretty similar to yours; I remember going to the local Yamaha dealer in 1980 when I was still in high school, and they had a leftover '78 RD400 on the showroom floor which I wanted SO badly. But like you when you were in college, at the time I could barely scrape together enough change for bootleg beer let alone a brand-new motorcycle!

Honestly, I'd rather buy an already restored bike, but I figured for 350 bucks it was worth spending some time and money on a nice original bike like this one. That, and I couldn't stand the thought of some kid getting a hold of it and abusing it into oblivion...
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Nice score and great story/photos. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to keeping up with your progress.
Thanks, Guth. I should have some more pictures of our glacial progress later this week. I could get so much done if I didn't have a job and a teenage boy in the house (my other full time job)!
 
Thread starter
I made a little more progress tonight; cleaned the rear wheel as best I could in the two hours free time I had. It turned out pretty nice, but still needs a little more detail work. The bike appears to have some sort of chain oiler, but man did it make a mess. I think I'll block it off or remove it before I start riding the bike, for obvious reasons. Before and After pics:



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/IMG_6878_zps0ae395e4.jpg.html]
 
Looks really good. I also redid many RD's in the 90's. Got rid of them all when I went into Bis..
Looks like you got a good unit!
 
Thread starter
Well, guys, I haven't been very good at documenting this resto. or giving updates, so thought I'd better at least show where the bike is at now. We're only a few hours away from completion. The tank is only loosely attached in the photos as we need to pull it to attach the rebuilt petcock. The front fender in the photos isn't bad, has a few small dings, but I have a perfect NOS one that will be going on soon (anyone need a nice rider quality RD400 front fender?). I definitely need to clean that seat up too. Anyways, here it is. Am getting excited to take it for a spin!



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo70_zps385faa7d.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo71_zps93b18282.jpg.html]
 
Omg that looks awesome. Great job Scoob. They are such fun bikes to ride. The sound, the smell, the memories!
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Ferret. Am happy with how it's turning out. I am pretty stoked to get out there and fog some mosquitos this summer!
 
Now that I've managed to get the expletives out of my system, I can finally comment. :D

WOW, that is going to be one really nice looking RD once you've wrapped it all up. Job well done Scoobynut!!

Thanks for bringing both the RD and this thread back to life
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Now that I've managed to get the expletives out of my system, I can finally comment. :D

WOW, that is going to be one really nice looking RD once you've wrapped it all up. Job well done Scoobynut!!

Thanks for bringing both the RD and this thread back to life
Thanks, Guth. And thanks for not swearing around the children. :D I'll add an update in the next week or so once we get it all buttoned up (promise), maybe even a little ride report.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
What a great find. Those Yamaha RD's were awesome bikes. My brother had one and he rode it everywhere. Reliable too.
I'm hoping this one will be too. It'll only be a fair-weather rider really, I don't plan on piling too many miles on it.
 
Back
Top