Yamaha Niken

Frulk_imp said:
"In MY Opinion" a Cool video with a front end suspension concept that's sure to cause heated discussion.....:biker:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/NIKEN/index.aspx?mobileredirect=no#gallery=video|id=ERpQ6_NQGPM
Coolness of the video is in the eye of the viewer, but for the world I fail to see how can this three-wheeled contraption be better than a motorcycle.

And speaking of the video: please, please give me good photographs, that I can study at leisure and see the details without the frame freeze, give me the complete technical specifications (including engine kW rating!) and spare me the techno-sound, computer animations and editing that induces epileptic fits...
 
I'm all for this concept. When the day comes that I struggle physically to manage a two-wheeler, I'd be on this bike in a heartbeat.
 
One ride will answer many questions; will it answer to rider input and body English like a 2 wheeler? Scorpion 3 wheelers sure don’t feel like a motorcycle as they don’t lean.
Doubled front tire contact should make it safer during cornering and shorter braking distances. Stability increased, too.
Demos will draw more first time riders because it won’t tip over at slow speeds.
I think it’s brilliant and looking forward to a test ride ASAP.
 
Frulk Wrote:Rotor..I fixed my initial thread entry.
No need; everything, but everything we write here has an implied opening sentence: "In the opinion of the uneducated and opinionated undersigned joker..."; at least I assume all my posts carry this preamble (in invisible ink :)

Stichill Wrote:...When the day comes that I struggle physically to manage a two-wheeler, I'd be on this bike in a heartbeat.
I am much closer to that day than you :( - which is why I want Honda to take cb650f plant and build around it cb1100-like motorcycle, only 50-60 kilograms lighter. Next, I'll give up on my religion of Four Cylinders Minimum and go, in discrete decrements, all the way down to a 50 cc scooter. However...:

736cc Wrote:One ride will answer many questions... looking forward to a test ride ASAP. I'll be next in line.
 
Personally I find that concept bike particularly ugly. I believe a motorcycle should be two wheels, even if it is possible to gain stability and improve braking with the three wheels. I have also tried the three wheeled scooters from Piaggio, and although they are nice to ride and most likely appeal to a number of riders, it is just not for me.

As for a three wheel concept that I might consider it would be more like what Mercedes did back in 1997. This is more like a tilting car, which then provides the protection advantages of a car, but would also deliver the thrill of tilting in to corners you get from bikes. You could no doubt improve on the looks, but I would love to have a go in something like this:

fa751308f07e46f69c5a87b6887e2e8c.png
 
One’s failure to see how this vehicle is better than a motorcycle says more about one’s vision than about the actual comparison of the two. There are many reasons, some stated above, why a rider might prefer this particular three-wheeled configuration to a two-wheeled one. I wold have to ride one and do some research once it was in production before making judgement on whether it would be better alternative for me at that time in my life.

One question I would have is about the ride comfort. Three wheels means three tracks which means three times as many potholes, rocks, tar snakes on those tracks.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
One’s failure to see how this vehicle is better than a motorcycle says more about one’s vision than about the actual comparison of the two. There are many reasons, some stated above, why a rider might prefer this particular three-wheeled configuration to a two-wheeled one. I wold have to ride one and do some research once it was in production before making judgement on whether it would be better alternative for me at that time in my life.

One question I would have is about the ride comfort. Three wheels means three tracks which means three times as many potholes, rocks, tar snakes on those tracks.
That was a major complaint of mine when a friend allowed a ride on his Spyder. Finding a path through a pot-holed section of road is not easy when you have three wheel tracks to consider.
 
I can certainly see the improvements that a three wheel bike could bring, but the thing is that it is not a bike anymore. It really becomes a different type of vehicle with its benefits and and disadvantages. A first disadvantage is obviously the added weight such a system brings.

In any case, no matter how good such a vehicle can be, what I love most is to ride a bike. I do not strive for something that is necessarily easy and safe, but something that I enjoy.

Somebody mentioned a four wheel version, and this already exists. There is the Quadro 4 scooter, that I have also tried. It does further improve braking capabilities in slippery conditions, but it also weighs even more. More weight obviously implies more mass to stop. Also, this scooter loses much of the advantages of a scooter in that there is really no more storage room. Like with the three wheel solutions, there is also less reactivity than on a bike.

5a757bd7adc63748e5a289f06b46423f.png
 
Kudos to Yamaha Engineering for thinking outside the box. Who knows what will be next? I wonder how much fine Japanese whiskey was consumed in the after work discussions when dreaming this up..
 
I think more motorcycle options is better than fewer. There are people for whom the Niken will appeal, not the least of whom are those who would otherwise be limited to conventional non-leaning trikes. If I was in a situation where it was get a trike or don't ride, I'd be on the Niken in a heartbeat.
 
Stichill_imp said:
I think more motorcycle options is better than fewer. There are people for whom the Niken will appeal, not the least of whom are those who would otherwise be limited to conventional non-leaning trikes. If I was in a situation where it was get a trike or don't ride, I'd be on the Niken in a heartbeat.
For me, at that point I'd just opt for a convertible of some sort, to be honest. The Niken clearly involved some time and ingenuity to develop, and I respect that completely...but even if I ever decided to look at a three-wheeler, I'm afraid the styling on this one doesn't quite work for me, to put it kindly. But hey...to each his/her own, right? :biker:
 
Back
Top